Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Locke Dunnegan
Apr 25, 2005

Respectable Bespectacled Receptacle
Dying to a goddamn iguana on D:5 with 11 in Long Blades with a long sword and Infusion up is frustrating. Miss miss miss graze miss graze oh he took off like 10 hp for three hits in a row, I cannot best the peerless warrior known as "an iguana"

EDIT: Yeah, three more splats, three more times where I fight someone with low EV and hit them about 20% of the time while they take me apart. Going to take a break from the game for a while, can't even get past D:5 unless I roll a dumb combo.

Locke Dunnegan fucked around with this message at 16:38 on Jan 17, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dee Ehm
Apr 10, 2014

I can't wait to have an awful experience and drain all my skills to zero. Thanks!

meatpath
Feb 13, 2003

You can add death scarabs to Spider only if you remove entropy weavers, thanks.

Electric Lady
Mar 21, 2010

To be victorious
you must find glory
in the little things
Had my funniest death ever last night. I was rolling a FeSu and doing half-decent. At least, I made it to D:10 (but to be fair I was on my last life, so I wasn't doing TOO half-decent). But there I ran into a pack of orcs including an orc knight that there was no way I could take without meat grinding summons for ages. Luckily I had a wand of polymorph and after clearing out the orcs in front of him, zapped him with impunity.

He proceeded to polymorph into a shock serpent and murder me. :shepface:

I guess what I'm asking is, does the wand of polymorph change creatures into other creatures with a similar level? Or does it work a different way?

Benly
Aug 2, 2011

20% of the time, it works every time.

Electric Lady posted:

Had my funniest death ever last night. I was rolling a FeSu and doing half-decent. At least, I made it to D:10 (but to be fair I was on my last life, so I wasn't doing TOO half-decent). But there I ran into a pack of orcs including an orc knight that there was no way I could take without meat grinding summons for ages. Luckily I had a wand of polymorph and after clearing out the orcs in front of him, zapped him with impunity.

He proceeded to polymorph into a shock serpent and murder me. :shepface:

I guess what I'm asking is, does the wand of polymorph change creatures into other creatures with a similar level? Or does it work a different way?

Last I checked it was based on their hit dice, meaning it's best used against creatures that are more dangerous than their degree of general beefiness would suggest. Against something that's threatening based on its physical nastiness rather than special abilities, it's more likely to turn into something equally beefy but with even scarier powers (good old hydra -> dragon and so on).

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
e.g. gastronok the golden dragon

polymorph's best used against frail-but-dangerous things

apple
May 18, 2003

Jose in the club wearing orange suspenders
Polymorph works weird and it's best used for a handful of special cases. It basically works by taking the monster's HD and then converting the monster into something above or below that HD (leaning towards higher HD).

Basically, if you have a monster that's potentially super dangerous for their HD (like a boggart), polymorph is a good option. Humanoids that are very well armed can also be good polymorph targets depending on their HD, since their equipment will be useless if they're non-humanoid. On the other hand there's monsters that have absurd HD considering their actual threat level (like Gastronok), so polymorphing them is likely to be a death sentence (caustic shrike is possible). It's one of the most spoilery things in the game. :v:

ZeeToo
Feb 20, 2008

I'm a kitty!
My favorite polymorph "whoopsie" so far was Arachne the Juggernaut.

LordSloth
Mar 7, 2008

Disgruntled (IT) Employee
Thanks for the advice. I think I'll hit up Elven Halls and then Cheibriados if my problem isn't resolved, as per advice.

If you want to watch be prepared to watch me die to something amazingly stupid while I very slowly/sloppily get back into the proper mindset.
https://crawl.s-z.org/#watch-LordSloth

As to why I was 'looking down' on fireball, that IS my mistake, but I only recently started bringing fire up to acceptable levels. In hindsight, I should have skilled up in Fire much earlier. edit: and started using fireball sooner as well. edit2: also, I'm bad at builds that aren't bashing people in the face. Most of my win are in my comfort zone, fighters. Edit3: every time I think about a rebuttal, I realize how I'm wrong and just plain bad at mages. So, yeah.

Edit:5. Elf:2 permafood AND and an amulet of the gourmand, of course.

LordSloth fucked around with this message at 21:51 on Jan 17, 2016

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

Locke Dunnegan posted:

Dying to a goddamn iguana on D:5 with 11 in Long Blades with a long sword and Infusion up is frustrating. Miss miss miss graze miss graze oh he took off like 10 hp for three hits in a row, I cannot best the peerless warrior known as "an iguana"

EDIT: Yeah, three more splats, three more times where I fight someone with low EV and hit them about 20% of the time while they take me apart. Going to take a break from the game for a while, can't even get past D:5 unless I roll a dumb combo.
you can just walk away if youre at low health

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

part of the strategy of games in this genre is recovering from or mitigating bad luck

the game is basically a huge amount of dice rolls

apple
May 18, 2003

Jose in the club wearing orange suspenders

comedyblissoption posted:

part of the strategy of games in this genre is recovering from or mitigating bad luck

the game is basically a huge amount of dice rolls

I think it'd help a lot, specially for beginners, if you can go into a fight expecting to have poor dice rolls. The current UI really doesn't tell me anything unless it's extreme cases like "........" Evasion vs "++++++" Evasion, etc. MR indicator is actually pretty useful but that's because it's paired with % chance of success for hexes when targeting. Unfortunately the best way to learn for everything else in between is to put your head in the lion's mouth, except you don't know if the lion is well trained or not. At least you'll know next time!

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Everybody just says "walk away" from things like lucky iguanas, but barring using a rare and valuable consumable like a scroll of blinking or a potion of haste that doesn't actually work unless you're a spriggan or centaur. Sure, there's energy variance but that's just as likely to let them smack you as to open up a gap. I've never found it reliable at letting me make it to stairs with a gap open.

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

cheetah7071 posted:

Everybody just says "walk away" from things like lucky iguanas, but barring using a rare and valuable consumable like a scroll of blinking or a potion of haste that doesn't actually work unless you're a spriggan or centaur. Sure, there's energy variance but that's just as likely to let them smack you as to open up a gap. I've never found it reliable at letting me make it to stairs with a gap open.

If you get the energy variance, the staircase is obviously good to take. However, the bigger thing is that walking away, even if you don't get away, gives you more time to regen HP/MP, which can give you enough time to use a better option (like a god power or teleport), which should be much more useful at actually helping you get away. Alternatively, if it's the early game and you really don't want to die, walking away to pillar dance can help you do the equivalent of resting to full and restarting the fight.

The problem is that, without enough experience with the game, it can be hard to figure out what monsters are tough enough that you should avoid starting to fight at all costs, since walking away after getting beaten up doesn't help if you will lose half your health again when you stop.

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010
Walking away isn't a sure thing though, as even ignoring energy variance and the mosnter gettign a double turn, you're relatively likely to walk into something else thats either faster than you or at best blocks off your escape route.

Sometimes your character is dead and the game is just toying with you.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
Definitely, but running into another weaker enemy might be beneficial too. It could take the place of the angry monster and block it off so you can take stairs! Sometimes what looks like a bad situation can be turned around.

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

cheetah7071 posted:

If they smack you, that means they spent a turn hitting you instead of moving, so you're good to take stairs/close a door/etc. As long as you're paying attention enough to walk away before you're one hit shy of death, you win either way.

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010
I find mages have an advantage here, especially in the early game. When you run out of mana before you run out of enemies thats a pretty obvious hint that you should run the hell away, and most mages will probably be a couple spaces away from an enemy.

A fighter on half health with a couple of enemies might decide he can take them, landing them in a critical situation that a mage would have run away from before it became an issue.

Luceid
Jan 20, 2005

Buy some freaking medicine.

Carcer posted:

A fighter on half health with a couple of enemies might decide he can take them, landing them in a critical situation that a mage would have run away from before it became an issue.

at half health you should probably already be running for the stairs so you can get back to full health and come back to open the fight with a rod blast or a javelin toss or something though!!

Unimpressed
Feb 13, 2013

Luceid posted:

at half health you should probably already be running for the stairs so you can get back to full health and come back to open the fight with a rod blast or a javelin toss or something though!!

And not following this advice is why I can never get a MiFi off the ground....

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010

Luceid posted:

This is entirely true, but my point was fighters don't have as obvious an "oh poo poo" moment as when a mage runs out of spells.

I know its easy to adjust, but the threshold where the screen starts flashing red should be raised to half health rather then 25% that I think it currently is.

meatpath
Feb 13, 2003

Carcer posted:

I know its easy to adjust, but the threshold where the screen starts flashing red should be raised to half health rather then 25% that I think it currently is.

One thing that helped me in melee (because I tab a lot) is setting the rc file so the game stops allowing auto-attack at half health (or maybe a bit more than half) instead of the default. Reminds me to slow the f down.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
You can change that in your rcfile, at least.

Carcer posted:

Walking away isn't a sure thing though, as even ignoring energy variance and the mosnter gettign a double turn, you're relatively likely to walk into something else thats either faster than you or at best blocks off your escape route.

Sometimes your character is dead and the game is just toying with you.
This is why you walk towards an area your character has already cleared out.

Zarick
Dec 28, 2004

I really wish the Crawl devs (or whoever does it) would update offline tiles to 0.17, because I like it a lot better than 0.16, and I play on the train where I can't keep an internet connection.

LordSloth
Mar 7, 2008

Disgruntled (IT) Employee
http://crawl.develz.org/download.htm

Unless you're talking about mobile phones or tablets I'm pretty certain tiles builds are at 0.17.1

Zarick
Dec 28, 2004

Yeah, sorry, I meant the phone/tablet version.

Mystery Prize
Nov 7, 2010

:eyepop:

From the same game, same ice cave.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Mystery Prize posted:

You are super prepared for negative energy.

meatpath
Feb 13, 2003

Positive Paul

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

Mystery Prize posted:

Negative energy should heal you.

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000
Just hit yourself with a draining brand a few times until you max out all the skills

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

I AM THE ONLY ONE IN THIS GAME WHO GETS LAID
I got the amulet of harm for the first time earlier on a blaster. Does the 25% bonus apply to spells that are at the power cap? Or is that a hard cap? Never used it before, and I only had low level spells, but I guess I didn't notice much of a bump. Would it be more useful for higher level spells that you're not going to hit the cap on, naturally?

Locke Dunnegan
Apr 25, 2005

Respectable Bespectacled Receptacle

Carcer posted:

This is entirely true, but my point was fighters don't have as obvious an "oh poo poo" moment as when a mage runs out of spells.

One thing I find annoying about sharing stuff like that iguana splat to others that play the game is there's always one or two people that jump in with "you should have just run" or "you should have burnt tons of consumables buffing yourself beforehand" and such, even as a response to the situation I posed as a XL~9 with 11 in Long Blades, ~5 in Fighting, and was up against a sole iguana. There are issues with melee running away as mentioned, but even then it's pretty patronizing listening to the Lords of Hindsight spout what amounts to "you should have run from the thing that killed you before you had atrocious luck attempting a normal fight". There are real underlying issues with the game with things such as early game difficulty and frustrations, as well as the notoriously swingy damage calculations, and the hand waving circle jerk is nearly pointless.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Iguanas are actually fairly dangerous melee combatants when encountered early in the dungeon so you probably should of either avoided it, weakened it from range, or buffed yourself in some way. I'm not trying to sound condescending when I say that either. Iguanas are deceptively strong.

Walking away from an enemy is really only reliable as a preemptive measure, cause creating a gap between you and them is very difficult when you're just relying on energy variance. You might be able to wedge a weak enemy between you and them, but you could also end up sandwiching yourself between two enemies instead which is a death sentence. A random teleport is good to use when combat goes that poorly, or even a scroll of blinking if you're really going to die.

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

Locke Dunnegan posted:

One thing I find annoying about sharing stuff like that iguana splat to others that play the game is there's always one or two people that jump in with "you should have just run" or "you should have burnt tons of consumables buffing yourself beforehand" and such, even as a response to the situation I posed as a XL~9 with 11 in Long Blades, ~5 in Fighting, and was up against a sole iguana. There are issues with melee running away as mentioned, but even then it's pretty patronizing listening to the Lords of Hindsight spout what amounts to "you should have run from the thing that killed you before you had atrocious luck attempting a normal fight". There are real underlying issues with the game with things such as early game difficulty and frustrations, as well as the notoriously swingy damage calculations, and the hand waving circle jerk is nearly pointless.

It's less about saying "you should have completely prepared for the absolute worst luck at all times" and more about looking at situation awareness/level of HP, and gaining a better understanding of when you should try escaping/resetting an encounter instead of continuing to push your luck because "it shouldn't be that difficult". Part of the nature of Crawl combat is that things are very swingy, so even encounters that should have been trivial can sometimes turn disastrous with the wrong rolls (see: every enemy with LCS).

For example, I just ended my 4 win streak because I assumed that an orc priest wouldn't smite me again for a large amount of damage before I could kill it, when I would have been able to run for a staircase the moment I got smitten, find another one to travel down another one, and come back later if I want the kill. Another situation was completing Dis for my first rune as a Formicid during the tournament, then dying really stupidly to a trivial pack of Depths enemies because I tabbed into them instead of just shafting myself the moment things started looking bad. For your example, iguanas can potentially hit you for up to 15 HP of damage every time your AC/EV fails you, which means that you should probably have started coming up with an escape plan at 31 HP if you wanted to play it safe.

However, I often don't follow that good advice because I would grow bored of Crawl if I didn't gamble on winning a fight sometimes instead of doing the smart thing and restarting/escaping it to try again whenever things start going slightly wrong. It's up to you how optimal you want to play, but it doesn't mean the advice is circle-jerkish if you don't feel it is entertaining to follow it.

E:Alternatively, if you just wanted to post how ridiculous a death was instead of wanting to know how to avoid it in the future, make it funny so people don't assume that you want advice :shobon:

Floodkiller fucked around with this message at 22:22 on Jan 18, 2016

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love

Internet Kraken posted:

Iguanas are actually fairly dangerous melee combatants when encountered early in the dungeon so you probably should of either avoided it, weakened it from range, or buffed yourself in some way. I'm not trying to sound condescending when I say that either. Iguanas are deceptively strong.

Walking away from an enemy is really only reliable as a preemptive measure, cause creating a gap between you and them is very difficult when you're just relying on energy variance. You might be able to wedge a weak enemy between you and them, but you could also end up sandwiching yourself between two enemies instead which is a death sentence. A random teleport is good to use when combat goes that poorly, or even a scroll of blinking if you're really going to die.

Iguanas are just another one of those monsters that veterans know how to treat accordingly and that new players will only figure out about after they've been screwed over by them. Other examples off the top of my head include centaur warriors, killer bees, water nymphs, hydras... I don't know, it's just there are tons of monsters that you never find out how terrifying they are and how to beat them until you've had your rear end beat by them a bunch of times. And some guys like Mennas remain terrifying to this day.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
I think killer bees and hydras are quite likely to show you how dangerous they are the first time or two around since they're more dangerous and stay dangerous for longer, while iguanas are more deceptively strong because sometimes you'll just squash them but other times they'll be a legit threat. Definitely worthy of some respect once you figure that out though.

rj54x
Sep 16, 2007

FulsomFrank posted:

Iguanas are just another one of those monsters that veterans know how to treat accordingly and that new players will only figure out about after they've been screwed over by them. Other examples off the top of my head include centaur warriors, killer bees, water nymphs, hydras... I don't know, it's just there are tons of monsters that you never find out how terrifying they are and how to beat them until you've had your rear end beat by them a bunch of times. And some guys like Mennas remain terrifying to this day.

+Komodo Dragons - thank god for the rcfile setting that prevents tabbing below a certain health threshhold, because there have been so many times I've curbstomped 5 or six of the little buggers only to have a particularly lucky one whoop my rear end.

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

i find that setting the autofight tab stop to something really high like 70% helps you not get bored clearing out popcorn while still being safe against some unlucky rolls

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Half of Dracula
Oct 24, 2008

Perhaps the same could be
I won my first game ever! Believe in him with all your heart, and Okawaru will provide the answers. Throwing is really strong lategame! Nothing feels as good as cracking Ancient Liches in half with javs of returning.

http://pastebin.com/7sy6KesT

code:
Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup version 0.17.1 (tiles) character file.

1703887 Baatsu the Conqueror (level 27, 249/249 HPs)
             Began as a Human Fighter on Jan 10, 2016.
             Was a High Priest of Okawaru.
             Escaped with the Orb
             ... and 4 runes on Jan 18, 2016!

The game lasted 14:13:10 (152742 turns).

Baatsu the Conqueror (Human Fighter)              Turns: 152742, Time: 14:13:10

Health: 249/249    AC: 44    Str: 30    XL:     27
Magic:  33/33      EV: 16    Int:  9    God:    Okawaru [*****.]
Gold:   397        SH: 21    Dex: 25    Spells: 0 memorised, 39 levels left

rFire  + . .     SeeInvis .     L - +9 double sword (slice)
rCold  + + .     Clarity  .     e - +2 crystal plate armour of the Known World {rPois}
rNeg   + + .     SustAt   .     n - +5 shield {AC+3}
rPois  +         Gourm    .     W - +2 hat of the Bear Spirit {Spirit, +Rage rN+ MR++}
rElec  +         Spirit   +     O - +2 cloak {MR+}
rCorr  .         Warding  .     b - +1 pair of gloves of Nihilism {*Contam Dex+10}
rMut   .         Stasis   .     X - +1 pair of boots {run}
MR     ++++.                    y - amulet "Jidawk" {Faith rElec rC+++ MR- Stlth+}
Stlth  ..........               j - ring "Pumaenot" {Fire rPois Str+4 Dex-4}
                                A - ring "Votang" {+Fly rN+ Str+3}

@: quick, incredibly resistant to hostile enchantments, extremely unstealthy
A: blink, blurry vision 1
a: Blink, Heroism, Finesse, Renounce Religion, Evoke Berserk Rage, Evoke Flight
0: Orb of Zot
}: 4/15 runes: decaying, serpentine, slimy, silver

You escaped.
You worshipped Okawaru.
Okawaru was extremely pleased with you.
You were very full.

You visited 17 branches of the dungeon, and saw 70 of its levels.
You also visited: Bailey and Volcano.

• Locked thread