Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos

Avshalom posted:

and the innumerable names of g-d

Turns out god isn't actually one of god's names, it's more of a description, so you can totally write god and it's all good.

And to add something that resembles on-topic discussion to this last page here's something pretty funny, remember those settler assholes from Amona who are getting 'evicted' to a different swath of stolen land while getting some decent cash out of it and pretending their the victims of some horrible tragedy? well, Bibi met with them and in attempting to console them he said the following:

quote:

The newspaper quoted Netanyahu telling Amona residents and settler leaders Saturday night: “I understand what it is to lose a home. After the 1999 election, with no warning, my family and I were simply thrown out of our home. Just like that, with all our belongings. We were simply thrown on the street, we were forced to go to the Sheraton Plaza Hotel. It was a terrible feeling.”

The man is a modern day Mary Antoinette.

Also, he's lying:

quote:

Former prime minister Ehud Barak slammed Netanyahu on Facebook, saying, “He has lost it completely. Thrown out of his house? By the voters. I was there. It took him six weeks to pack up and leave. Hard? The time has come for it to happen again.”

http://www.jpost.com/Israel-News/Settler-leader-downplays-insensitive-Netanyahu-statement-476051

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

In Bibi's defence, Barak is a major rear end in a top hat, both in politics and in person. I would have drawn it out as long as humanly possible to piss him off if I could.

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?
Here's some news for you, thread

http://www.wsj.com/articles/israel-urges-u-s-to-veto-u-n-resolution-on-settlements-1482418062

quote:

A potential collision between the Obama administration and the incoming team of President-elect Donald Trump was avoided when the United Nations Security Council postponed a vote on a resolution criticizing Jewish settlement construction in the West Bank.

After a draft of the resolution was circulated by Egyptian diplomats late Wednesday, Israel and Mr. Trump urged the Obama administration to veto it, but diplomats at the U.N. said the matter wouldn’t be coming to a vote Thursday.

“As the United States has long maintained, peace between the Israelis and the Palestinians will only come through direct negotiations between the parties, and not through the imposition of terms by the United Nations,” Mr. Trump said in a statement issued in Palm Beach, Fla., by his transition team.

Related Video
0:00 / 0:00
A Donald Trump administration is expected to significantly shift U.S. policy on Israel. WSJ's Gerald F. Seib discusses the possible changes, including moving the American embassy to Jerusalem and support for Jewish settlements in the West Bank. Photo: Bloomberg
“This puts Israel in a very poor negotiating position and is extremely unfair to all Israelis,” he added.

Western diplomats said Egypt postponed the vote.

“This is a resolution that the Egyptians spearheaded and introduced, only to shelve it under Israeli pressure,” one of the diplomats said. “The vote has been postponed, potentially indefinitely.”

The wording of the draft resolution closely reflects the views of the peace-negotiating group known as the Middle East Quartet, which issued a report in August calling settlement construction an obstacle to peace and urging its end. The Quartet is composed of the U.N., the U.S., Russia and the European Union.

The U.S. vetoed a similar resolution against the settlements in 2011, but with Barack Obama in the final weeks of his presidency, Palestinian officials have brought the measure forward again hoping the president will break with precedent and not order a U.S. veto or abstention.

In Mr. Obama’s final year in office, the White House has considered ways to revive Israeli-Palestinian peace talks, and in recent months has considered supporting a resolution, according to White House officials.

The draft resolution, viewed by The Wall Street Journal, calls on the Palestinians and the Israelis to vehemently condemn acts of terrorism and on U.N. member nations to distinguish, “in their relevant dealings, between the territory of the state of Israel and the [Palestinian] territories.”

Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu tweeted overnight that the measure was “anti-Israel” and said the U.S. should veto the resolution. His cabinet ministers also admonished the U.S. to continue its longstanding policy of vetoing resolutions perceived to be biased against Israel.

“Later on today the U.N. Security Council is going to convene to condemn, and perhaps worse, hurt Israel for living here,” said Naftali Bennett, leader of the pro-settlement Jewish Home party, before the vote was postponed.

The embassies of the U.S. and Egypt in Tel Aviv didn’t respond to requests for comment Thursday.

Palestinian officials in West Bank city of Ramallah, the seat of the Palestinian Authority, declined to comment on the draft resolution, referring questions to their representatives at the U.N., who weren’t immediately available for comment.

For the Palestinians, a Security Council resolution condemning the settlements as the Obama administration winds down has become more urgent with Mr. Trump’s nomination of David Friedman as U.S. ambassador to Israel and indications that he supports moving the U.S. Embassy in Israel from Tel Aviv to Jerusalem.

That step is opposed by the Palestinians, who want part of Jerusalem as the capital of a future Palestinian state.

Mr. Friedman has helped raise millions of dollars for prominent West Bank settlement Beit El, to which he and his family have longstanding connections.

Beit El has also received donations from Mr. Trump’s personal foundation and the family of his son-in-law Jared Kushner.
The U.S. has repeatedly condemned Israeli settlement construction in the West Bank, land Israel captured from Jordan in the 1967 Arab-Israeli war. Israel disputes that the settlements are an obstacle to peace and instead blames Palestinians’ refusal to accept a Jewish state in the region.

Last week, Israel’s government agreed to relocate Jewish settlers from the West Bank outpost of Amona, which is built on Palestinian land, to another part of the territory, avoiding a potentially violent confrontation but underscoring state support for settlements.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
Well, the US didn't veto. http://www.independent.co.uk/news/w...o-a7493351.html

I'm not sure what difference it will make now that Trump is at the helm in less than a month though.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I'm betting that the only reason they didn't is because of Trump

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

FlamingLiberal posted:

I'm betting that the only reason they didn't is because of Trump

Twitter tells me it's because Obama is an anti-semite. :v:

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
https://twitter.com/AmbDaniDayan/status/812400478449467392

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

It's really amazing that a minor resolution passing the UNSC which basically amounts to 'hey Israel, please stop violating international agreements' is met with a reaction like we bombed Tel Aviv.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

I like the Syria concern trolling.

Bear Retrieval Unit
Nov 5, 2009

Mudslide Experiment

lmao, that whiny gently caress must've poo poo himself in anger.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Just thought I'd stop by to say I'm glad the condemnation passed and gently caress Israel.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
I'm glad the condemnation passed and will be visiting Israel soon, maybe I'll have some hot takes to share. :v:

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
So now with the US being on the wrong end of the UN's hosed up veto procedure when it comes to this particular issue, lets take a look at what the future holds.

quote:

UN Security Council

Permanent Members:
China
Russia
France
UK
US

Temporary Members (Term: Jan 1, 2016 - Jan 1, 2018)
Egypt
Senegal
Uruguay
Japan
Ukraine

Temporary Members (Term: Jan 1, 2017 - Jan 1, 2019)
Ethiopia
Kazakhstan
Bolivia
Sweden
Italy

With Trump coming in, obviously, they are going to seek to overrule this? But can they avoid getting a single veto? Ethiopia and Bolivia are two countries I'd really have my eye on. If either of them stood against it, that would buy 2 years where the US's hands would be tied. Can anyone think any of these countries would veto any resolution to un-condemn Israel for their settlement activities?

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Volkerball posted:

So now with the US being on the wrong end of the UN's hosed up veto procedure when it comes to this particular issue, lets take a look at what the future holds.

With Trump coming in, obviously, they are going to seek to overrule this? But can they avoid getting a single veto? Ethiopia and Bolivia are two countries I'd really have my eye on. Can anyone think any of these countries would veto any resolution to un-condemn Israel for their settlement activities?

Only permanent members can veto.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Only permanent members can veto.

Well.....poo poo.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
The UN is so loving dumb.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Volkerball posted:

The UN is so loving dumb.

Uh, vetoes have absolutely nothing to do with it. Take a minute and think about what a veto actually is - a veto can only be used to block something that would otherwise pass, not force through something that would otherwise not pass. This measure passed with fourteen out of fifteen votes (the US abstained). That means that in order to get a second resolution passed that reverses this resolution, the US needs to singlehandedly flip half the Security Council.

This is why getting enraged is often a bad idea - you miss details, often quite important details, when you get too hotheaded. And speaking of details...

Honestly, the real interesting thing about this resolution is Egypt's behavior, in first offering up the resolution, postponing it, and allowing other Security Council members to push it forward. Egypt has been happy to play along with the media narrative that they bowed to pressure from Trump and Netanyahu, but I don't buy it - Egypt was certainly well aware when they first wrote the resolution that Trump and Israel would both strongly oppose the move. If you ask me, this wasn't a sincere move, but rather a negotiating tactic - and we don't know what Egypt was promised in return for backing off.

Grammarchist
Jan 28, 2013

Haven't similar resolutions passed before under W. and H.W. Bush? I seem to remember Bush II not supporting Iron Dome and other projects that Obama readily handed out cash for.

Shofixti
Nov 23, 2005

Kyaieee!

Volkerball posted:

With Trump coming in, obviously, they are going to seek to overrule this? But can they avoid getting a single veto? Ethiopia and Bolivia are two countries I'd really have my eye on. If either of them stood against it, that would buy 2 years where the US's hands would be tied. Can anyone think any of these countries would veto any resolution to un-condemn Israel for their settlement activities?

I don't think the US could single handedly force through a resolution overturning it. Considering this passed with 14 votes in favour and 1 abstention, the chances of getting enough security council members to overturn it seems very unlikely. Unless I'm grossly misunderstanding how the security council functions. The more important question is whether this condemnation will become anything other than symbolic.

Shofixti fucked around with this message at 23:29 on Dec 23, 2016

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Main Paineframe posted:

Uh, vetoes have absolutely nothing to do with it. Take a minute and think about what a veto actually is - a veto can only be used to block something that would otherwise pass, not force through something that would otherwise not pass. This measure passed with fourteen out of fifteen votes (the US abstained). That means that in order to get a second resolution passed that reverses this resolution, the US needs to singlehandedly flip half the Security Council.

This is why getting enraged is often a bad idea - you miss details, often quite important details, when you get too hotheaded. And speaking of details...

Honestly, the real interesting thing about this resolution is Egypt's behavior, in first offering up the resolution, postponing it, and allowing other Security Council members to push it forward. Egypt has been happy to play along with the media narrative that they bowed to pressure from Trump and Netanyahu, but I don't buy it - Egypt was certainly well aware when they first wrote the resolution that Trump and Israel would both strongly oppose the move. If you ask me, this wasn't a sincere move, but rather a negotiating tactic - and we don't know what Egypt was promised in return for backing off.

I'm not sure who among the permanent members is married to the idea of the resolution. If they vote consistently moving forward like they just did, then yeah, there's nothing to worry about. But I'm not taking that for granted.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice
Someone I know is currently on the Birthright trip and and it's kinda sad watching her slowly devolve into this "the Palestinians are doing so much to destroy Israel" mentality. :smith:

Nude Bog Lurker
Jan 2, 2007
Fun Shoe
Israel is very cross at New Zealand and has called their ambassador home to emphasise how cross they are.

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

You really are a louse...

Volkerball posted:

Nobody's going to veto the vote to repeal it, but all of the permanent members voted for it, the first half of the temporary members also voted for it, and none of the incoming temporary members seem like Israel diehards. A resolution to repeal the resolution that just passed 14-0 would probably get rejected 1-14. If Trump goes totally nuclear and starts threatening sanctions or something against nations that voted no, he might be able to bully nations like Ukraine into voting yes, but he'd have to start threatening to place sanctions on Japan because of a totally trivial UN vote. At that point, Trump would probably get Business Ploted out of office.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Nude Bog Lurker posted:

Israel is very cross at New Zealand and has called their ambassador home to emphasise how cross they are.

lol

http://www.haaretz.com/israel-news/1.761011?v=455D4BDDB3EFAC676DB43E40E9E176CB

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.
Do Israel and New Zealand have remotely important ties, or is this entirely symbolic gesture?

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos

That's from Ran Baratz, the guy who called Obama an anti-semite and is now Bibi's personal social media propagandist. He's really something else.

Nude Bog Lurker
Jan 2, 2007
Fun Shoe

Elysiume posted:

Do Israel and New Zealand have remotely important ties, or is this entirely symbolic gesture?

The most interesting thing that has happened in Israel-NZ ties in the last twenty years is when we suspended diplomatic relations for a year because Mossad got caught faking NZ passports, so no basically.

Shofixti
Nov 23, 2005

Kyaieee!

Eagerly awaiting this to be expanded by a strategy of boycotts and divestment.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
What would an attempt at overruling this resolution even look like? "Illegal settlements have legal validity"? Perhaps we could make a combo by having the same resolution that enshrines Israel's right to annex land also recognize Russia's right to reannex former Soviet Union territory. Maybe add a postscript about the South China Sea rightfully belonging to China.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Cat Mattress posted:

What would an attempt at overruling this resolution even look like? "Illegal settlements have legal validity"? Perhaps we could make a combo by having the same resolution that enshrines Israel's right to annex land also recognize Russia's right to reannex former Soviet Union territory. Maybe add a postscript about the South China Sea rightfully belonging to China.

You laugh, but both of those are entirely plausible under a Trump Presidency.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Volkerball posted:

I'm not sure who among the permanent members is married to the idea of the resolution. If they vote consistently moving forward like they just did, then yeah, there's nothing to worry about. But I'm not taking that for granted.

They always vote like this. That's why the US veto is so important - the UN membership is overwhelmingly in favor of condemning the Israeli occupations and settlements. The only countries that vote against those resolutions are the US, Israel, and a few US client states (mostly tiny Pacific island countries).

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

But who even cares? What does a resolution like that even do? It's all hot air.

Friendly Factory
Apr 19, 2007

I can't stand the wailing of women
Friendly Factory fucked around with this message at 07:30 on Jun 4, 2018

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011
Unfortunately for them, much like the rest of us, not taking him seriously is no longer an option.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Dead Reckoning posted:

Unfortunately for them, much like the rest of us, not taking him seriously is no longer an option.

Absolutely nobody other than his gang of dumbasses takes him seriously whatsoever, only as much as they have to pretend to.

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

Friendly Factory posted:

It has to start somewhere. The US stalled this beginning for decades and now they're stopping that. One got through before Trump could do anything and the UN membership certainly won't take him seriously.

They might not take him seriously on any kind of personal level, but his veto matters. There's never been a problem of the US gathering too much international opposition to resolutions negative to Israel, the problem has always been the US's veto in the security council. In that sense, this is symbolic of nothing if the incoming administration will veto anything more negative to Israel than "Palestinians deserved it".

Friendly Factory
Apr 19, 2007

I can't stand the wailing of women
Friendly Factory fucked around with this message at 07:30 on Jun 4, 2018

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

Friendly Factory posted:

All I meant is he won't be able to pass a new resolution that refutes this one.

But that is part of the problem: what would he even need to refute? Yeah it looks bad for Israel's ego, but the resolution doesn't actually do anything. Even if Israel blatantly ignores it, like they announced they will, it would take another security council vote to do anything new, which Trump has already said he will veto.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

You'd figure that Netanyahu would realize that after visiting Congress without clearing it through the White House in order to give a speech against one of Obama's big diplomatic projects would most likely result in a retributive measure like this, but...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

DrProsek posted:

But that is part of the problem: what would he even need to refute? Yeah it looks bad for Israel's ego, but the resolution doesn't actually do anything. Even if Israel blatantly ignores it, like they announced they will, it would take another security council vote to do anything new, which Trump has already said he will veto.

It starts the cycle of ostracizing Israel. As was mentioned, you have to start somewhere. Eventually it's going to be these types of resolutions that form the backbone of movements to sanction Israel and put more pressure on them to change their stance towards one that makes meaningful attempts to achieve a two state solution. It's the same process that eventually forced change in South Africa. You'd probably be right in assuming that the US isn't going to lead the charge in that regard, but countries like the UK and France could if there was domestic support for it. The resolution is very significant in that regard.