Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005
I just don't want cheat engine on my system since some of the more invasive anti-cheat systems for game will ban you for just having it installed.

That and I like playing my games all-natural, but this game feels like "you died of dysentery" levels of punishment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
You're probably playing the game wrong. It took me far too long to figure this out myself, but at least for the first three floors (not counting bosses) you really never have to use the dodge roll, except to jump over pits.
See, the game until then isn't about weaving through bullets. There's just not enough of them on screen. The game is about quickly prioritizing targets, good positioning (distance from enemies) and herding enemies. The last one especially. You're never in danger when all th shots come from more or less the same place on screen, since they aren't scattered enough to even come near you when you just walk in circles. It's a hard thing to explain, and it mostly relies on instinctive knowledge of what enemy shoots in what pattern at you, so you can mentally ignore them at certain distances and angles from you.

And the brown chest abundance is just a symptom of you spending too much time on the first floor. Brown chests aren't all that common on even floor two and on:

(To clarify: Floors 1 to 5, from left to right. Chest are the fixed chests in the small rooms, RoomChest are the ones that can randomly spawn after a room clear.)

As you can see, even on floor 2 the brown chests have only a 20% chance to appear, decreasing even further to 10% and then 2% on floor 4 for the chest rooms. Room clear chests will always mostly be brown chests, but those are very rare anyways.
My tip is, unless you definitely want to go to the Abbey for unlocks, skip the Oubliette. It's significantly harder than even floor 2, and uses the floor 1 loot system. Not worth the time and extra gun.

So yeah, highly unlikely to get 13 out of 19 brown chests unless you find them all on the first floor

Vlaada Chvatil
Sep 23, 2014

Bunny bunny moose moose
College Slice
I picked this game up on PS4 over the weekend, and I've been enjoying it so far. Unfortunately it is possible that I am terrible at this game.

I'm hoping I can get some Qs answered.

There's a little green guy on the shop sometime who wants to buy my stuff, but I can't figure out how to sell to him. None of the buttons do anything as far as I can tell, and made sure I didn't have my default side arm equipped either.

How do I find secret doors? I notice that the default sidearms all specifically state that they don't reveal secrets, and I know secret doors are Zelda style cracked walls from the tutorial. However, I haven't found any cracks in the walls after four or five hours of playing, and I would have thought my stray bullets would have revealed one by now. Is there something else I need to do to reveal them?

Any other tips and tricks appreciated!

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Vlaada Chvatil posted:

I picked this game up on PS4 over the weekend, and I've been enjoying it so far. Unfortunately it is possible that I am terrible at this game.

I'm hoping I can get some Qs answered.

There's a little green guy on the shop sometime who wants to buy my stuff, but I can't figure out how to sell to him. None of the buttons do anything as far as I can tell, and made sure I didn't have my default side arm equipped either.

How do I find secret doors? I notice that the default sidearms all specifically state that they don't reveal secrets, and I know secret doors are Zelda style cracked walls from the tutorial. However, I haven't found any cracks in the walls after four or five hours of playing, and I would have thought my stray bullets would have revealed one by now. Is there something else I need to do to reveal them?

Any other tips and tricks appreciated!

You can drop your current gun and active item to the ground via holding some button for a second or two, not sure what it is on PS4. You can drop passive items by opening up your map and selecting it (they're in a row at the bottom of the map). Drop anything on the dude's little grate, and he'll pay out.

The secret door in the tutorial is the only one that comes pre-cracked. All others look like normal walls until two or three shots hit them. Infinite ammo guns can't reveal those. Enemy shots can also reveal secret rooms, but that rarely happens, and it's hard to notice in a firefight. They are only in places where an exit could normally be for the room you're in. It's easiest to check in the Chest rooms, where you can shoot the 4 cardinal directions, give that there would be enough space for a room on the map.
Shooting can't open them, only crack the wall. You need to use a blank (or get hit with armor) in that room to actually open the wall.

Vlaada Chvatil
Sep 23, 2014

Bunny bunny moose moose
College Slice

HenryEx posted:

You can drop your current gun and active item to the ground via holding some button for a second or two, not sure what it is on PS4. You can drop passive items by opening up your map and selecting it (they're in a row at the bottom of the map). Drop anything on the dude's little grate, and he'll pay out.

The secret door in the tutorial is the only one that comes pre-cracked. All others look like normal walls until two or three shots hit them. Infinite ammo guns can't reveal those. Enemy shots can also reveal secret rooms, but that rarely happens, and it's hard to notice in a firefight. They are only in places where an exit could normally be for the room you're in. It's easiest to check in the Chest rooms, where you can shoot the 4 cardinal directions, give that there would be enough space for a room on the map.
Shooting can't open them, only crack the wall. You need to use a blank (or get hit with armor) in that room to actually open the wall.

Ahh, that was my problem. I didn't realize you needed to hit secret doors multiple times to reveal them. My casual automatic fire looking for doors wasn't concentrated enough.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

Grimey Drawer
It doesn't take a lot of hits but the weaker guns definitely don't reveal a secret room in one shot. If you shoot something like a shotgun at a wall though, a single shot should suffice.

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo
It tends to prioritize placing secret rooms adjacent to treasure rooms and special rooms. Sometimes it's even in the elevator room!

ConfusedPig
Mar 27, 2013

It can also sometimes be in the shop, but you can't fire guns in the shop to check for cracks without angering the shopkeeper, but can still use a blank if you one extra to waste just to check.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

If you haven't figured it out yet you can drop your currently equipped guns on the PS4 by holding down on the d-pad, to drop trash and passives you don't want open up the map and use the left/right on the dpad to highlight one and press square to huck it away.

Vlaada Chvatil
Sep 23, 2014

Bunny bunny moose moose
College Slice
I found a t-shirt cannon, but it doesn't make the little bullet men wear purple shirts when I hit them.

0/10 would not recommend

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

If you haven't figured it out yet you can drop your currently equipped guns on the PS4 by holding down on the d-pad, to drop trash and passives you don't want open up the map and use the left/right on the dpad to highlight one and press square to huck it away.

Thank you! I had not figured that out.

Radioactive Toy
Sep 14, 2005

Nothing has ever happened here, nothing.
Today I found out that glitch chests appear as brown chests in the curse mirror... RIP floor 1 Robot with no items.

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

first win and it only took 42 deaths. i would say at between 10 and 20 of those were probably needless, in as much as i was playing drunk, or half paying attention to my kid and half paying attention to the game, etc. etc. but still, the game is definitely more challenging than BoI. i do think that it'd be unlikely to pull a win off with a completely fresh save, even if you have amazing bullet hell reflexes and skills and have memorized all of the enemy patterns in the game, because it's going to take a few trips through the game just to unlock enough useful weapons & items to make a winning run possible.

case in point, this run was made possible because of the metronome and the chloranthy ring and the black hole and the beholster and the 2x pieces of spice that i found along the way. without those key pieces of the puzzle, i don't think i would have beat the dragun with one half of a heart left.

nightwisher
Dec 24, 2004

Thor-Stryker posted:

I just don't want cheat engine on my system since some of the more invasive anti-cheat systems for game will ban you for just having it installed.

That and I like playing my games all-natural, but this game feels like "you died of dysentery" levels of punishment.

What kind of piece of poo poo games are banning having a loving program installed? How is that even legal?

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

nightwisher posted:

What kind of piece of poo poo games are banning having a loving program installed? How is that even legal?

i don't know if anything can ban you just for having it installed per-se, but something like dark souls 3 can detect if you've ever run CE for dark souls 3, even if you did something simple like give yourself exactly 1 soul and didn't do stupid malicious poo poo online to other people, because just running the tables once for the game injects a debugger into your copy of the game files, and their anti-cheat software can detect that debugger on their side. so just having CE on your hard drive isn't an instant ban, but running CE tables for a given game, even if you're offline and you only edit your own stuff, could still result in an online ban if you care at all about that

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

Grimey Drawer

homeless poster posted:

i don't know if anything can ban you just for having it installed per-se, but something like dark souls 3 can detect if you've ever run CE for dark souls 3, even if you did something simple like give yourself exactly 1 soul and didn't do stupid malicious poo poo online to other people, because just running the tables once for the game injects a debugger into your copy of the game files, and their anti-cheat software can detect that debugger on their side. so just having CE on your hard drive isn't an instant ban, but running CE tables for a given game, even if you're offline and you only edit your own stuff, could still result in an online ban if you care at all about that

Eh, you can still get around that by using the DBVM mode in CheatEngine and using the custom Kernel Debugger. It basically runs your OS in a virtual machine and allows CheatEngine to redirect the flow of system events to different locations and change their results. So you don't require the OS to attach a debugger and signal the program that it's attached, it just does it without telling the program it's being debugged :v:

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

HenryEx posted:

Eh, you can still get around that by using the DBVM mode in CheatEngine and using the custom Kernel Debugger. It basically runs your OS in a virtual machine and allows CheatEngine to redirect the flow of system events to different locations and change their results. So you don't require the OS to attach a debugger and signal the program that it's attached, it just does it without telling the program it's being debugged :v:

while this is true, it likely requires much more effort than what your average CE end-user is willing to put forth; especially as evidenced in this thread, where people are unwilling to use google to find both CE and the tables for this game, and are evidently even too lazy to read through the thread, as multiple pages have the same requests and get the same links reposted again and again. for people who won't even do a cursory google search, having CE on your hard drive might as well equal an autoban from online functionality

Nighthand
Nov 4, 2009

what horror the gas

Some online games, particularly korean MMOs, tend to have aggressive anti-cheat as well. I know Dungeon Fighter's anti-cheat will temp ban you if you so much as open cheat engine, not even hooking it into the dfo process.

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

another good tip for new people that isn't immediately obvious is that you refill back to 2 blanks at the start of every new floor. you have no excuse for not using all of the blanks you have to try and get a no-hit, perfect run of each floor boss, because the actual benefit of getting a permanent +1 heart greatly outweighs the no benefit you get for ending a boss fight with blanks still on your belt.

if you manage to kill a boss before you spend your blanks, feel free to use them hunting for secret rooms, because you'll get a refill as soon as you go to the next floor.

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice

homeless poster posted:

another good tip for new people that isn't immediately obvious is that you refill back to 2 blanks at the start of every new floor. you have no excuse for not using all of the blanks you have to try and get a no-hit, perfect run of each floor boss, because the actual benefit of getting a permanent +1 heart greatly outweighs the no benefit you get for ending a boss fight with blanks still on your belt.

if you manage to kill a boss before you spend your blanks, feel free to use them hunting for secret rooms, because you'll get a refill as soon as you go to the next floor.

Conversely, after you get the hang of the first couple of floors you should rarely actually need to use blanks, especially if there is no room or specific boss pattern that hurts you consistently. If you have three or more blanks it may not be worth spending your free blanks in the interest of possibly having a surplus for the fourth and fifth floor bosses.

I know that's an unpopular opinion here but I've found that rolling into Kill Pillars or Dragun with excess blanks can make a world of difference. Especially if you happen to be playing with the room drop CE script which will dump tons of blanks on you throughout a run.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

Jibo posted:

I know that's an unpopular opinion here but I've found that rolling into Kill Pillars or Dragun with excess blanks can make a world of difference. Especially if you happen to be playing with the room drop CE script which will dump tons of blanks on you throughout a run.

Yeah, blanks really help with the pillars and can force them to cancel some attacks early. Weirdly enough I think they're the fourth floor boss I get the most flawlesses on at this point, them seem threatening at first but they are extremely predictable compared to the High Priest and they don't require as tight dodges as Wallmonger can with his thick bullet barrage. If you get a good explosive weapon like the stinger the Pillars are completely hosed.

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice
Kill Pillars gently caress me up because I pretty much never see them for whatever reason. I very much am a "learn the patterns then learn the counter to the pattern" kind of player and it's hard when you only see certain configurations every now and then.

E: I passed 300 deaths last night and still have not beaten the Pilot's past yet. So I am quite obviously the worst player in this thread.

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo
if youre specifically having trouble with the pilots past (not just getting to the past) then i would recommend that prior to the past fight you bind your item use button to the second most spammable button you have available at your disposal

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

Jibo posted:

Kill Pillars gently caress me up because I pretty much never see them for whatever reason. I very much am a "learn the patterns then learn the counter to the pattern" kind of player and it's hard when you only see certain configurations every now and then.

Do you have boss rush unlocked? That could help get some practice against them.

Oh, and keep in mind that armor (but nothing else) will carry over between the gungeon and the past, if you buy some off the blacksmith after killing the dragon it could help.

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice

Snazzy Frocks posted:

if youre specifically having trouble with the pilots past (not just getting to the past) then i would recommend that prior to the past fight you bind your item use button to the second most spammable button you have available at your disposal

I just haven't played the Pilot much. I figured out that you aren't supposed to sidewise dodge over the big laser beams in my last fight and that was a huge help. I expect to beat it next time I get there

khwarezm posted:

Do you have boss rush unlocked? That could help get some practice against them.

Oh, and keep in mind that armor (but nothing else) will carry over between the gungeon and the past, if you buy some off the blacksmith after killing the dragon it could help.

Man I did not know this. I always just buy it before the Dragun fight if it's there and it usually doesn't survive it.

I do have the boss rush but I haven't checked it out yet.

Kuros
Sep 13, 2010

Oh look, the consequences of my prior actions are finally catching up to me.
For how long and annoying Bullet Hell is, I wish they would put in a Cursula shop or the shrine which trades weapons for health.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.
Finally managed to kill all four pasts (God, LL's is the worst), how do you get the Boss Rush?

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice

Samovar posted:

Finally managed to kill all four pasts (God, LL's is the worst), how do you get the Boss Rush?

Finish all the elevator quests.

At this point I'd definitely recommend using CE for at least the key turn ins for them unless you are on console.

Kuros
Sep 13, 2010

Jibo posted:

Finish all the elevator quests.

At this point I'd definitely recommend using CE for at least the key turn ins for them unless you are on console.

And if you wanna do it legit, you gotta run cursed runs. I suggest the Pilot or Hunter in order to do this.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

Kuros posted:

And if you wanna do it legit, you gotta run cursed runs. I suggest the Pilot or Hunter in order to do this.

Using Pilot's godawful pistol against cursed enemies is the worst thing in the universe. I went for Hunter.

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

Jibo posted:

I know that's an unpopular opinion here but I've found that rolling into Kill Pillars or Dragun with excess blanks can make a world of difference.

trying to hoard blanks can put you behind the eight ball fast unless you are good enough to literally not need them, in which case you are likely not a new player. basically unless you are so good at the game that you could flawless every level and every boss with 0 blanks, you should be using all of them from each floor on each boss, because the immediate benefit of incrementally increasing health is much better than the potential benefit of maybe having 1 or 2 extra blanks against a boss you might not even survive long enough to face.

my advice was for new players, because the game doesn't do a great job of clearly explaining that blanks get refilled back to 2 every new floor, and since they also drop as a consumable item like hearts and armor and etc. it's easy to just assume they're not a renewable resource and you need to hoard them "for when you really need them". the problem is that if you're new to the game it's much better to use them on kill raven or beholster or whatever because getting 3 more hearts will have a much bigger impact on your survivability down to floor 4 than trying to hold onto 1 or 2 extra blanks will.

edit: it's kind of an issue with the way the game is designed in general - many of the really cool / fun / powerful guns & items are locked behind the harder bosses / deeper floors, and once you're good enough to unlock them, you probably don't need them to actually make progress. new players would benefit the most from them, and ironically they won't ever get to touch them if they don't get gud.

double edit: it'd be cool if, instead of starting with a small pool of mostly crap items to use and having to unlock the better ones, you started with the entire pool of items to use, and then the hegemony credits let you buy off the ability to remove whatever items you wanted from the pool. the RNG could let a new player luck out and maybe get something really fun the like the hot watch, and you would still have a better selection of items over time as you got better because you could winnow out all of the crap items from your actual item pool.

Freaking Crumbum fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Jun 7, 2016

Kuros
Sep 13, 2010

khwarezm posted:

Using Pilot's godawful pistol against cursed enemies is the worst thing in the universe. I went for Hunter.

The lockpick is great, you can scum the first floor with it until you get some good drops and then keep going.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.

Kuros posted:

Do cursed runs get you more items?

Kuros
Sep 13, 2010

Samovar posted:

Do cursed runs get you more items?

More Curse = More Jammed Enemies = More money

Keep in mind that praying to the statue in the beginning sets your curse to 9, so picking up anything else or doing any other action that will add more curse will spawn Lord of the Jammed.

Radioactive Toy
Sep 14, 2005

Nothing has ever happened here, nothing.

Finally. Was also my first time getting a perfect on the Dragun. Too bad about those floor 4 bosses that I suck at though because I would have gotten Lead God also =\

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Hey, if you want to train yourself to find secret rooms and at least want to see where they were after futilely wasting all your blanks, i've got a script for you that uncovers the map. It'll let you see where the secret room was, or where the second secret room was, since that also sometimes happens. Sneaky, sneaky game.

http://pastebin.com/S0b3MH63

As usual, copy the RAW Paste Data & paste it into the Cheat Engine window, it'll add an entry called "Uncover Minimap". also you can just use the script at the start of the floor if you want but it's cheating

This took me entirely too long to find. Unlike other games, there's no easy flag that says "view whole map", no, every single room is its own entity and has a separate "is displayed on minimap" property. I just ended up calling the same function the game does when you pick up a map item and let it do all the work for me. :v:

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.
I don't know if people here know this, but according to the devs on Reddit there are some guaranteed recipes for the stuff you can put in the gun munchers, for example a Beehive and RPG will spit out a Stinger, a Machine Pistol and Flame Hand will produce a Machine Fist, a Regular Shotgun and a Bow or Crossbow will create a Shotbow.

I might be wrong about some of those but its what other people have reported so far and the devs said that there are guaranteed recipes.

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

khwarezm posted:

I don't know if people here know this, but according to the devs on Reddit there are some guaranteed recipes for the stuff you can put in the gun munchers, for example a Beehive and RPG will spit out a Stinger, a Machine Pistol and Flame Hand will produce a Machine Fist, a Regular Shotgun and a Bow or Crossbow will create a Shotbow.

I might be wrong about some of those but its what other people have reported so far and the devs said that there are guaranteed recipes.

that's a cool idea, but it's still way too dependent on the RNG to really amount to much. the RNG has to decide to put a muncher on your floor, and to have given you some combination of guns that produce a meaningful result, and to have given you enough keys along the way to have acquired said guns in the first place.

it's too bad that you're not guaranteed to get a muncher in every shop starting on floor 3 or whatever, because at least that would give you a little more ability to try and predict whether or not you might be able to recipe out a gun

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice
I only ever see munchers on blessed runs. :(

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I checked, and apparently there's 5 "recipe" guns you can get from a muncher, the Stinger, the Mutation, the Cold .45, the "machine gun hand" (might be the fist?) and the Crescent Crossbow. There's more than one combination for all of those, though.
The combinations are all stored in item IDs and not names though, so i can't check what they are

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Tasteful Nude
Jun 3, 2013

A cool anime hagrid pic (imagine nude pls)
What happens if you get the Gun before you bring the forge lady all the bullet pieces? Does the game just end?

By the time I ever saw the Dragun guy I had died enough times to have completed all of the little forge fetch quests, just incidentally.