Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax

Bass Bottles posted:

My parts have arrived and I'll probably start the build tomorrow or Monday, but first...

How do I install Windows 10 with this specific situation:

PC will not have a disc drive, but my copy of Windows 10 is a disc

I have access to a Mac with a disc drive, and a bunch of USB flash drives.

I know I need to create a bootable USB disc, but how do I get the ISO? Can I take it directly from the disc?

Just use the bootable media creation tool, it'll download the ISO for you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

BOSS BATTLES DID NOTHING WRONG

HMS Boromir posted:

Just use the bootable media creation tool, it'll download the ISO for you.

Doesn't that tool require Windows to run? I'm on Mac.

But I think I finally found a tutorial that doesn't assume I'm doing a bootcamp install

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax
Ah, sorry, in retrospect I should've guessed there wasn't a mac version. Glad you got it sorted out anyway.

blah_blah
Apr 15, 2006

Instant Grat posted:

The onboard sound card doesn't really matter for poo poo when it's a digital connection, or am I completely off-base here

This is right and I'm wrong. I had no idea that this was the case. My A2+ has an internal DAC so I guess that's why they still sound pretty great. I'll try the analog inputs later on I guess.

Bass Bottles posted:

Doesn't that tool require Windows to run? I'm on Mac.

But I think I finally found a tutorial that doesn't assume I'm doing a bootcamp install

I was also in this position and had to get a friend to do it for me from a PC. The bootcamp tool doesn't work if you're on the latest version of OS X and all the command line tutorials failed as well (and I'm reasonably proficient with UNIX so that wasn't the issue).

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

blah_blah posted:

I was also in this position and had to get a friend to do it for me from a PC. The bootcamp tool doesn't work if you're on the latest version of OS X and all the command line tutorials failed as well (and I'm reasonably proficient with UNIX so that wasn't the issue).

Sure it does. I just did it to reinstall Windows after getting my new poo poo.

The boot camp tutorials make a perfectly usable bootable usb drive that can install Windows 10 on any computer, not just macs.

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

The ISO download from the Microsoft website has timed out 3 times now lol

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

I had a lot of trouble downloading that ISO yesterday, but you'd think it would have slacked off now that the offer's expired. Be sure to reformat your USB stick in ExFAT, because the default file system can't handle a file as big as the ISO.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
Isn't the offer still available through today?

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

GutBomb posted:

Isn't the offer still available through today?

What offer is this?

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

Arsenic Lupin posted:

I had a lot of trouble downloading that ISO yesterday, but you'd think it would have slacked off now that the offer's expired. Be sure to reformat your USB stick in ExFAT, because the default file system can't handle a file as big as the ISO.

Boot Camp assistant won't let me use this flash drive even though I formatted it as ExFAT. It says to format it as a single FAT partition?

blah_blah
Apr 15, 2006

GutBomb posted:

Sure it does. I just did it to reinstall Windows after getting my new poo poo.

The boot camp tutorials make a perfectly usable bootable usb drive that can install Windows 10 on any computer, not just macs.

On some Macs running El Capitan there is no option to create a flash drive in Boot Camp Assistant (this is how it was for me). Apparently this might be a workaround, though: http://apple.stackexchange.com/questions/214857/osx-el-capitan-cannot-make-bootable-usb-stick-with-boot-camp

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

everythingWasBees posted:

What offer is this?

Microsoft's free upgrade to windows 10 from windows 7 and 8.

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

blah_blah posted:

On some Macs running El Capitan there is no option to create a flash drive in Boot Camp Assistant (this is how it was for me). Apparently this might be a workaround, though: http://apple.stackexchange.com/questions/214857/osx-el-capitan-cannot-make-bootable-usb-stick-with-boot-camp

Holy cow, this worked for me, hahaha.

Well, I'm out of time to actually try going through the whole process, but I now have the option to make a USB installer so I'll try out the rest later.

Thanks!

Mister Fister
May 17, 2008

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
KILL-GORE

I love the smell of dead Palestinians in the morning.
You know, one time we had Gaza bombed for 26 days
(and counting!)
Hello Goons,

I've had my computer for a while now and was wondering if i should upgrade my video card with my current system instead of getting a new CPU/Mobo/Ram, etc as well?

-I'm in the US

-I will be using my system for gaming. I mostly play Overwatch, at low settings at 1080p (i want to maximize frame rates, i care a lot about frame rate in competitive FPS games), but for single player games, i'll probably up the graphics settings more.

-My monitor resolution currently is 1080p 60hz, but i want to upgrade to one of those 144hz 1440p monitors

I have the following components:

-Intel Core i5-2500k @ 3.3 Ghz Chip
-Gigabyte GA-Z68AP-D3 Motherboard
-16 Gigs of RAM... i guess it's DDR3 based on the MOBO specs, not sure of the speed
-An AMD 6900 Series Graphics Card (according to my windows system information, doesn't tell me the EXACT 6900 series model)

I was planning on overclocking my CPU to maybe 4.0 to 4.2 Ghz (i heard it can go to 4.5, but i want to be a little conservative).

If i upgrade to a 1060 or 1070 is it worth it, or will i not be too CPU constrained?

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!
You'll be fine with just a GPU upgrade, if you're going 144Hz 1440p I'd get the 1070. Definitely do the overclocking, that's a big part of why the 2500k is still a viable chip.

Mister Fister
May 17, 2008

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
KILL-GORE

I love the smell of dead Palestinians in the morning.
You know, one time we had Gaza bombed for 26 days
(and counting!)

MaxxBot posted:

You'll be fine with just a GPU upgrade, if you're going 144Hz 1440p I'd get the 1070. Definitely do the overclocking, that's a big part of why the 2500k is still a viable chip.

Thanks. If i go for all lowest graphics settings on Overwatch on the 1440p/144hz monitor, would i be able to get 144 fps all the time with the 1060? Or do i HAVE to get the 1070?

owls or something
Jul 7, 2003

CPU: Intel Core i5-6600K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor
CPU Cooler: Phanteks PH-TC12DX_BK 68.5 CFM CPU Cooler
Motherboard: Asus Z170I PRO GAMING Mini ITX LGA1151 Motherboard
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3000 Memory
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 120GB 2.5" Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1070 8GB G1 Gaming Video Card
Case: Fractal Design Define Nano S Mini ITX Desktop Case
Power Supply: Corsair RMx 650W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply
Case Fan: Fractal Design GP14-WT 68.4 CFM 140mm Fan (additional front intake)

Been working a lot of forced overtime lately so I decided to treat myself to a complete new PC instead of just doing some upgrades. This is what I came up with. I wasn't too worried about saving a few bucks here or there by using different vendors so I ordered everything from Amazon using my Prime. This is my first time working with mITX but I have it all together now and overclocked the i5 to 4.2GHZ @ 1.2v and I am very happy with it.

Anyway, just wanted to thank everyone in this thread for doing what you do and dishing out solid advice on parts. My crippling OCD would otherwise prevent me from making choices on my own. Maybe soon I'll have enough free time to actually play some games.

owls or something fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Jul 30, 2016

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

You should see a huge boost from a GPU upgrade to a 10x0. Your i5-2500k will bottleneck you a bit in the newest AAA titles, on the highest settings, but otherwise it's still fine. Should certainly be enough for Overwatch.

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!

Mister Fister posted:

Thanks. If i go for all lowest graphics settings on Overwatch on the 1440p/144hz monitor, would i be able to get 144 fps all the time with the 1060? Or do i HAVE to get the 1070?

Looks like the 1070 gets almost 144 at ultra 1440 so I'm sure the 1060 would be able to do it with settings dialed back.

http://www.techspot.com/review/1182-nvidia-geforce-gtx-1070/page2.html

Pokkahn
Nov 23, 2003
Tree fallin
http://pcpartpicker.com/list/cXjZf8

I would like to shave about 200 dollars off this build. Any suggestions on replacements without to much performance loss?

Chillyrabbit
Oct 24, 2012

The only sword wielding rabbit on the internet

Ultra Carp
About to pull the trigger on buying everything now, finally have enough money to grab everything at once and the 1070 seems to at least be regularly in/out of stock so just need to wait for an opportunity when its in.

Anything that leaps out as in "you wasted your money"?

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-6600K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($305.95 @ shopRBC)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($36.75 @ Vuugo)
Motherboard: Asus Z170-E ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($139.99 @ NCIX)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3000 Memory ($84.99 @ Newegg Canada)
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($205.55 @ Vuugo)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 1070 8GB SC Gaming ACX 3.0 Video Card ($589.99 @ Newegg Canada)
Case: Fractal Design Define R5 w/Window (White) ATX Mid Tower Case ($139.99 @ NCIX)
Power Supply: EVGA 650W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($104.99 @ Canada Computers)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Home OEM 64-bit ($115.95 @ shopRBC)
Wireless Network Adapter: Gigabyte GC-WB867D-I PCI-Express x1 802.11a/b/g/n/ac Wi-Fi Adapter ($44.99 @ Canada Computers)
Total: $1769.14
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-07-30 19:07 EDT-0400

And does the conventional wisdom of getting an i5 unless you know you need i7 still apply? I'm trying to run down how exactly dx12 will work, since apparently dx12 games can use all the i7 threads and cores efficiently and that might be a worthwhile "future proof" item to buy.

Taciturn Tactician
Jan 27, 2011

The secret to good health is a balanced diet and unstable healing radiation
Lipstick Apathy

japtor posted:

From a quick glance on Amazon it looks like full size internal ones start around $50 and portable slim USB ones start around $40. (Meanwhile bare slim internal drives that are probably in those $40 USB ones are like $70 and up :v:).

I guess it depends how convenient finding rips and capping them is for you. Ripping off disc isn't terribly convenient in my experience, but I'm also on a Mac so my software options are more limited I figure. Oh and as far as drives check with the MakeMKV forums cause I vaguely recall some drives being a bitch about ripping.

That's probably a bit high for a convenience thing, I'll just make do with finding digital copies. Just seemed silly to go to the effort of tracking down digital versions of blu-rays I'm holding in my hands. Thanks for the help!

Pooperscooper
Jul 22, 2007
Can someone recommend a good graphics card around $200? The GTX1060 and RX480 are all sold out and look like they will remain sold out for quite some time and I don't really want to wait. I only do some light gaming, mostly looking at Overwatch and Xcom 2.

Beautiful Ninja
Mar 26, 2009

Five time FCW Champion...of my heart.

Pooperscooper posted:

Can someone recommend a good graphics card around $200? The GTX1060 and RX480 are all sold out and look like they will remain sold out for quite some time and I don't really want to wait. I only do some light gaming, mostly looking at Overwatch and Xcom 2.

It's much better to wait, buying anything else other than those 2 cards for around 200 bucks is a terrible value proposition. The only things I can think of that might be worthwhile would be used R9 390's or GTX 970's around that price, but I'd rather have one of the newer cards.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
Can anyone with an Asus Z170 comment on how the CPU and CPU_OPT fan headers work? I have a Nepton 240M and want the pump to run constantly but the fans to only spin up under heavy load.

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax

Pooperscooper posted:

The RX 470 is coming out in a week or so, you can wait and see if that ends up being better stocked and not too weak for your needs.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Chillyrabbit posted:

And does the conventional wisdom of getting an i5 unless you know you need i7 still apply? I'm trying to run down how exactly dx12 will work, since apparently dx12 games can use all the i7 threads and cores efficiently and that might be a worthwhile "future proof" item to buy.

From what I gather, it will help in games that utilize it, which some newer games do, but otherwise it won't make a difference. It's hard to find benchmarks, though. I would say it's not a necessity at all (though I bought an i7-6700k myself).

simcole
Sep 13, 2003
PATHETIC STALKER
does anyone have a recommendation for a sound card pcie? ideally I'd like to have my headset and speakers both powered at once. I guess I'm not completely opposed to external dac amp but I need good windows 10 support and a volume knob.

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

Probably gonna attempt my first build today, wondering about static now??

I bought a wrist strap, but when I googled how to use it I saw people arguing about clipping it to the case and keeping the power supply plugged in to the wall (but off)??? That seems insane and there's no way I'm working on a computer with the power supply plugged in to the wall.

Also, should I have bought an anti-static mat?

Should I ignore the strap and just touch the metal case every once in a while?

Bass Bottles fucked around with this message at 14:59 on Jul 31, 2016

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Heads up for people doing ITX builds, the Gigabyte GA-Z170N-WiFi board does not properly support 2666 MHz RAM out of the box and requires a firmware update, so if you're going with that you need a 2133 MHz or similar stick lying around. What a goddamn headache it was figuring that out.

Additionally, the 1070 Strix is like absurdly loving huge. Holy poo poo.

SplitSoul fucked around with this message at 14:57 on Jul 31, 2016

Haquer
Nov 15, 2009

That windswept look...

Bass Bottles posted:

Probably gonna attempt my first build today, wondering about static now??

I bought a wrist strap, but when I googled how to use it I saw people arguing about clipping it to the case and keeping the power supply plugged in to the wall (but off)??? That seems insane and there's no way I'm working on a computer with the power supply plugged in to the wall.

Also, should I have bought an anti-static mat?

Should I ignore the strap and just touch the metal case every once in a while?

Just don't do your work while standing on carpet and you're probably fine.

I've never once used anti static stuff and have had 0 problems but I'm probably a lucky retard.

8 Ball
Nov 27, 2010

My hands are all messed up so you better post, brother.
Any firsthand recommendations for a small quiet Micro ATX case? Preferably smaller than 458mm x 465mm x 205mm (HxDxW) as that's my current case. I've been looking at the Fractal Design Define Mini which seems perfect in every way except size, as I'm going to be moving around a couple times over the next year so would prefer something more portable.

I've got one SSD and one 3.5 HDD, not too bothered about optical drives or watercooling and it's going to mostly be used for gaming. Happy to buy replacement fans too if the stock aren't up to scratch.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

simcole posted:

does anyone have a recommendation for a sound card pcie? ideally I'd like to have my headset and speakers both powered at once. I guess I'm not completely opposed to external dac amp but I need good windows 10 support and a volume knob.

The Asus Xonar series is the last set of sound cards I know about and even Asus doesn't really seem to care about them. I don't think you can even download my DX's drivers from their site despite full Win10 compatibility.

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

I accidentally bought air flow fans when I meant to get static pressure fans. Using a node 202 mini itx case.

Is this gonna be a huge issue? Could I get away with using these fans for a bit and then maybe replace them if I need to?

LegalPad
Oct 23, 2013

Hey guys. I'm looking for a new PC but I don't know anything about computer hardware. I was using a 5+ year old pre-built HP6000 with a crappy video card and I feel like I'm long due for an upgrade.

My old computer:
AMD Athlon II Quad-core 2.9ghz
6GB RAM
Asus EAH5770 CUCore/2DI/1GD5

I guess I'm looking for the most bang for my buck on a super tight budget, like $400-600 (I understand that is not a lot of money, but that's all I have to spend right now). I was basically going to go to an electronics store and pick out the parts and have them build it, but I'm not sure where to prioritize my spending -- nor do I really understand how to select a processor/card.

Any advice would be great.

LegalPad fucked around with this message at 22:10 on Jul 31, 2016

is that good
Apr 14, 2012

Bass Bottles posted:

I accidentally bought air flow fans when I meant to get static pressure fans. Using a node 202 mini itx case.

Is this gonna be a huge issue? Could I get away with using these fans for a bit and then maybe replace them if I need to?

You're probably not going to notice a difference at all, it'll be fine

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh

LegalPad posted:

Hey guys. I'm looking for a new PC but I don't know anything about computer hardware. I was using a 5+ year old pre-built HP6000 with a crappy video card and I feel like I'm long due for an upgrade.

My old computer:
AMD Athlon II Quad-core 2.9ghz
6GB RAM
Asus EAH5770 CUCore/2DI/1GD5

I guess I'm looking for the most bang for my buck on a super tight budget, like $400-600 (I understand that is not a lot of money, but that's all I have to spend right now). I was basically going to go to an electronics store and pick out the parts and have them build it, but I'm not sure where to prioritize my spending -- nor do I really understand how to select a processor/card.

Any advice would be great.

They're going to tell you to read the OP :unsmith:

Right, I'm not going to build this machine any time soon, but what does this look like for an i7 build? There's no GPU there, I'd throw something mid-high range in it eventually, I currently have a Radeon HD 7950 3GB Boost. I know I could cut back on the cooling and the PSU, but I just wanted to see if these components were a good fit and good quality. It's not really the final list.

My monitor is 1920x1200 and I'll want to run stuff like Crysis 3 on max settings at that resolution at a million frames per second. I picked the i7 for the higher stock clock speed. I've also got an other identical i5 build in mind.

My main considerations are that I want a machine smaller than my current box, a Fractal Design Define R4, and I want it to be nice and quiet.

Thoughts?

https://www.scan.co.uk/savedbasket/d524ee54-61b9-4aa1-96e1-f98c38e7e7e6

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Pokkahn posted:

http://pcpartpicker.com/list/cXjZf8

I would like to shave about 200 dollars off this build. Any suggestions on replacements without to much performance loss?

Other than moving from the Noctua to a similar/cheaper 'big block' HSF like the Hyper 212 EVO, which will save you ~$40, the other big way to drop some money would be to go to a 6600K. That being said, I wouldn't use a CX-series Corsair PSU in a build with a 1070 (or a CPU you intend on trying to overclock, if you're buying a K variant). The CX series are fine if you're building a PC for your kid who isn't playing AAA games, but you'll want something a bit more substantive to run your build stably over a 3-5 year span.

Here's the 'why you shouldn't' info on the CX-series: http://www.overclock.net/t/1431436/why-you-should-not-buy-a-corsair-cx430-500-600

Also, I don't have anything against big-block HSFs, either - I've used a Silver Arrow on my 2500K since 2012.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 01:30 on Aug 1, 2016

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
For bulk storage, is the WD Red the best go-to still? I'm looking to buy a handful of 6tb drives.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LogicalFallacy
Nov 16, 2015

Wrecking hell's shit since 1993

Are there any major reviews for the Corsair CX750M from this year? I've got one running my computer, and from looking at it and the spec sheet from Corsair's website, and comparing those to the Johnny Guru review from last year, it's basically an entirely different product. That being said, I have not opened it up to check the quality of the guts, so I don't know how much that has changed since that review.