Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.
Who is this woman commentating? She is really bad.

"Oketra isn't that good on the splash, because you want to use her ability twice a turn!"

No, I don't really think that's what you want to be doing with 8 mana.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

GonSmithe posted:

"Oketra isn't that good on the splash, because you want to use her ability twice a turn!"

Both these statements are false.

I think the woman is the Magic the Amateuring girl with the coloured hair but I'm only guessing based off her voice. Maria something?

The only other women I'd expect them to have on commentary all have distinct voices.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

GonSmithe posted:

Who is this woman commentating? She is really bad.

i believe she was joking, but i can forgive you thinking only lsv is allowed to tell jokes

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
I think I've only heard Maria (the one that usually doesn't have colored hair) commentate once, when it was her first time in the booth, but she was great. Very natural, kept the flow conversational, asked relevant questions of the color commentator, and understood the boardstate (something surprisingly difficult for some people behind the mics).

I was surprised she hadn't done it before.

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

Is Gaby still working for WotC, I don't mind listening to her she's OK in my book.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

AceClown posted:

Is Gaby still working for WotC, I don't mind listening to her she's OK in my book.

She's usually on the CFB-run streams I think.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Lone Goat posted:

She's usually on the CFB-run streams I think.

She's been out of the game for a while because of her divorce; same thing with LSV.

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

Just pay Pat and Ced a poo poo ton of money to cover every event ever and never look back

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo
It was Maria

http://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/organized-play/pro-tour-amonkhet-and-you-2017-04-20

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

Rinkles posted:

I think I've only heard Maria (the one that usually doesn't have colored hair) commentate once, when it was her first time in the booth, but she was great. Very natural, kept the flow conversational, asked relevant questions of the color commentator, and understood the boardstate (something surprisingly difficult for some people behind the mics).

I was surprised she hadn't done it before.

I was close!

Apparently she's been involved in TV/Radio for a long time.

mattah
Nov 9, 2003

Oh Pikachu!

AceClown posted:

Just pay Pat and Ced a poo poo ton of money to cover every event ever and never look back

Pretty much.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Maria is great and plays a ton of limited.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.
She definitely got a lot better after the first match I watched, I take it back.

Procrastinator
Aug 16, 2009

what?

Sampatrick posted:

The deck with 4 Blood Artists lacks reach?

When I was playing it, yeah, it kinda felt that way.

DangerDongs
Nov 7, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Does anyone here have experience with Mardu Ballista and it's transitional sideboard? What is usually removed when bringing in the Oath of Lili / planeswalker package against control, mirror, GB etc?

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

DangerDongs posted:

Does anyone here have experience with Mardu Ballista and it's transitional sideboard? What is usually removed when bringing in the Oath of Lili / planeswalker package against control, mirror, GB etc?

It's for games on the draw vs the mirror, control and GB. I don't like Oath of Lili though...You're usually taking out the Exemplars, some number of Heart of Kiran and adjusting your removal suite.

I'd rather play against the cat combo all day than the card Aetherworks Marvel. The card makes for poo poo gameplay and is completely unfun.

DangerDongs
Nov 7, 2010

Grimey Drawer

mcmagic posted:

It's for games on the draw vs the mirror, control and GB. I don't like Oath of Lili though...You're usually taking out the Exemplars, some number of Heart of Kiran and adjusting your removal suite.

I'd rather play against the cat combo all day than the card Aetherworks Marvel. The card makes for poo poo gameplay and is completely unfun.

Thank you, and I 100% agree. At least with the Cat Combo you could hold up removal, but tower is counterspell or bust.

Mardu question: With the list running 2 Avacyn, you don't remove any of those even when brining in more high costed cards?

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

DangerDongs posted:

Thank you, and I 100% agree. At least with the Cat Combo you could hold up removal, but tower is counterspell or bust.

Mardu question: With the list running 2 Avacyn, you don't remove any of those even when brining in more high costed cards?

I never cut Avacyn... I could be wrong though.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

mcmagic posted:

Is there one designer at WotC that is like, "Yo I got this idea for a powerful card" and when everyone else tells them it's broken they're just like, "no don't worry y'all, you have to look at the top six, it's balanced because you can miss!"

Company wasn't fun to play or play against, Marvel wasn't fun to play or play against. Having an entire game revolve around the random top six cards of a player's library is really stupid.

MiddleEastBeast
Jan 19, 2003

Forum Bully
Drafted Amonkhet for the first time tonight. UR Cycling/noncreature-spells matters is such a fun archetype for losers like me who love durdling and occasionally winning.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Hellsau posted:

Is there one designer at WotC that is like, "Yo I got this idea for a powerful card" and when everyone else tells them it's broken they're just like, "no don't worry y'all, you have to look at the top six, it's balanced because you can miss!"

Company wasn't fun to play or play against, Marvel wasn't fun to play or play against. Having an entire game revolve around the random top six cards of a player's library is really stupid.

It's just really horrible and there is no way to interact with it. It might actually be reasonable if Ulamog wasn't in the format but the games just feel like too much of a crapshoot. It's so much worse than company. I know company felt bad but you were companying into 2/3's... Not cards that end the game on T4.

mcmagic fucked around with this message at 05:30 on May 7, 2017

TwistedNails
Dec 1, 2008

AceClown posted:

That would be awesome, I also like hearing LSV and Pat Chapin too but Pat and acedric are the best in the game in my opinion.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

mcmagic posted:

It's just really horrible and there is no way to interact with it. It might actually be reasonable if Ulamog wasn't in the format but the games just feel like too much of a crapshoot. It's so much worse than company. I know company felt bad but you were companying into 2/3's... Not cards that end the game on T4.

I dunno, when I Companied into Reflector Mage + Tireless Tracker, it felt pretty drat gross. I guess not as gross as a turn four Emrakul or Ulamog. They really should have tried out the 18 month rotation at least once.

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

Hellsau posted:

I dunno, when I Companied into Reflector Mage + Tireless Tracker, it felt pretty drat gross. I guess not as gross as a turn four Emrakul or Ulamog. They really should have tried out the 18 month rotation at least once.

they did try it out once (SOI rotated out Khans/FRF), and apparently tons of people reacted to it by quitting Standard, hence the quick change back.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Tales of Woe posted:

they did try it out once (SOI rotated out Khans/FRF), and apparently tons of people reacted to it by quitting Standard, hence the quick change back.

They tried it for like 3 days and I'm pretty sure there were 900 pretty big reasons people quit standard at the time that weren't the changes to rotation.

mcmagic posted:

When I see "fair" Marvel games play out it actually seems like a totally fine card. Gerry T was playing a build for a while that didn't have Ulamog and it was just a completely reasonable card that gave you some good value in long games.

But then turn 4 Ulamog happens. Turns out cast triggers are stupid.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Tales of Woe posted:

it was a useful scapegoat for ignoring that they had pushed certain cards without printing good answers

the change was never allowed a real chance

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
fwiw i don't really care much about the rotation period but BFZ wasn't meant to be in standard this long and it's kind of apparent

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

mandatory lesbian posted:

it was a useful scapegoat for ignoring that they had pushed certain cards without printing good answers

the change was never allowed a real chance

SOI standard was actually good so I don't think that was it.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

suicidesteve posted:

But then turn 4 Ulamog happens. Turns out cast triggers are stupid.

The problem they're running into is that beyond a certain point, mana costs really aren't an effective balancing tool. Of course, the problem is exacerbated by the relentless pushing of creatures in general. There have been ways to cheat or accelerate creatures into play for almost as long as Magic has been around, but when the creature you were getting was Verdant Force, Crater Hellion, or Angel of Despair, it was still relatively fair because those creatures are relatively fair. When it's Griselbrand or any of the Eldrazi Titans? Not so much.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

JerryLee posted:

The problem they're running into is that beyond a certain point, mana costs really aren't an effective balancing tool. Of course, the problem is exacerbated by the relentless pushing of creatures in general. There have been ways to cheat or accelerate creatures into play for almost as long as Magic has been around, but when the creature you were getting was Verdant Force, Crater Hellion, or Angel of Despair, it was still relatively fair because those creatures are relatively fair. When it's Griselbrand or any of the Eldrazi Titans? Not so much.
Griselbrand comes off as the separate problem of R&D trying to "fix" old broken cards, which they've had some bad luck with when it comes to necropotence. That's not really a creature issue, that's a long-standing problem they've had. I know you were around for them printing bargain and being like 'We think we've got it this time!!!'

As for mana costs and creatures, that's a whole number of steps past what they did. I mean you're mostly right, but maybe overstepping intentional anti-cheat into play / can't flicker for repeat effect clauses by balancing against randomization is kind of the bigger thing?

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Tales of Woe posted:

SOI standard was actually good so I don't think that was it.

Okay, maybe. It was another instance of the Gideon deck versus that other really powerful card.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

JerryLee posted:

They also didn't usually exist in the same format, weren't good enough, or there were reasonable answers. Not only that, but you had to assemble A + B in your hand or graveyard or whatever to get your payoff. Marvel is just part A that finds its own part B.

Even reanimating Ulamog in this format isn't completely unbeatable, even if it is hard to deal with. The problem is that Marvel cheats Ulamog out but you casts it. You can:
2-for-1 yourself to counter Ulamog + the trigger
Counter Ulamog and get 3-for-1d and probably lose
Counter the trigger and probably lose to an indestructible creature that kills you in 2 hits and can't be chumped
Do nothing and probably lose to an indestructible creature that kills you in 2 hits and can't be chumped while you're down 2 permanents
Play exactly Summary Dismissal

And this all means you had to hold up 3+ mana on turn 4, so you didn't actually do anything and are probably going to lose to the Marvel anyway.

And even if you do deal with it, they can probably just cast another Ulamog next turn for 0 mana.

Tl;dr: Marvel is a bad design, but it would probably be fine if it didn't cast Ulamog.

Spiderdrake posted:

Griselbrand comes off as the separate problem of R&D trying to "fix" old broken cards, which they've had some bad luck with when it comes to necropotence. That's not really a creature issue, that's a long-standing problem they've had. I know you were around for them printing bargain and being like 'We think we've got it this time!!!'

As for mana costs and creatures, that's a whole number of steps past what they did. I mean you're mostly right, but maybe overstepping intentional anti-cheat into play / can't flicker for repeat effect clauses by balancing against randomization is kind of the bigger thing?

Griselbrand is just a mistake. They somehow took one of the most broken cards ever, gave you your draw step back, and made it gain you life to keep itself going. I don't know why they didn't give it the Eldrazi/Worldspine/Blightsteel anti-reanimation text. Really, my biggest problem is that it's a cheat-into-play target that just invalidates every other cheat-into-play option in 99% of situations.

I think they got this right 10 years ago with the Myojin. When it ETBs if you cast it from your hand, do the thing.

Cracker Baron
Dec 23, 2003
Went 4-4 at my first GP with a deck I felt could make day two pretty often. No huge misplays on my end but my lack of playing planeswalkers probably didn't make my Nissa plays optimal. Lost to decks that hade huge value or happened to go very wide. Best everything else pretty easy. All of the opponents were extremely nice.

One of the guys I play with regularly made feature match randomly round 1 playing BW zombies and won so we can at least say he is undefeated lifetime in the feature match area of GPS. It's been really fun. I can post the deck if anyone is interested. If I could rebuild it I would make 2 changes right away but overall I thought it was a cool experience and would suggest anyone who hasn't done one to think about visiting.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

Cracker Baron posted:

Went 4-4 at my first GP with a deck I felt could make day two pretty often. No huge misplays on my end but my lack of playing planeswalkers probably didn't make my Nissa plays optimal. Lost to decks that hade huge value or happened to go very wide. Best everything else pretty easy. All of the opponents were extremely nice.

One of the guys I play with regularly made feature match randomly round 1 playing BW zombies and won so we can at least say he is undefeated lifetime in the feature match area of GPS. It's been really fun. I can post the deck if anyone is interested. If I could rebuild it I would make 2 changes right away but overall I thought it was a cool experience and would suggest anyone who hasn't done one to think about visiting.

Post the deck and also all the other cards

Cracker Baron
Dec 23, 2003

Lone Goat posted:

Post the deck and also all the other cards

Will do when I get home tonight. Highlights were Sultai splashing the blue for Nissa and on boarded games two shimmerscale drakes (should have been main).

I had Ifnir, the Beetle, hexproof crocodile, Nissa, two edifice and I think I am missing another bomb but I'm low on sleep. I played too much fixing in hindsight but I ran low on time deciding and having to fill out the decklist put me making some hasty decisions in the end.

The red was also decent so I spent some time seeing if I may somehow splash the two electrify I had. Would love some thoughts as I don't play sealed (first time other than pre-release) and know it could have been improved upon.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
5 picks in, and BBD's draft is already ri-goddamn-diculous.

Edit: He's the only blue drafter at the table. Easiest draft ever.

AlternateNu fucked around with this message at 15:10 on May 7, 2017

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
In the Trumplord Holy Land
It amuses me that the only 2 cards that see play from Battle for Zendikar that see play are ones that most people hate playing against.

The should've just rotated it.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

They didn't, because those two cards are hilariously expensive and my collection value :qq:

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

AlternateNu posted:

5 picks in, and BBD's draft is already ri-goddamn-diculous.

Edit: He's the only blue drafter at the table. Easiest draft ever.

This is a really common thing this format. I don't get it. I've seen it in every color but green now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

sit on my Facebook posted:

It amuses me that the only 2 cards that see play from Battle for Zendikar that see play are ones that most people hate playing against.

Manlands.