Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vanadium Dame
May 29, 2002

HELLO I WOULD LIKE TO TALK TO YOU ABOUT MY VERY STRONG OPINIONS

Uthor posted:

One thing I learned with a small drone is if you fly it while drinking, there is a good chance you will pilot it directly at your face.

Probably why I haven't flown it in about two years.

Don't ever buy one of these, even if it's on deep discount and you think it's hilarious. https://www.tanga.com/deals/793a7fbb18ec/dc-comics-world-tech-batman-3-5ch-rc-helicopter

You just might accidentally fly it into someone's hair, at work, who you are currently dating.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

Erisian Automata posted:

Don't ever buy one of these, even if it's on deep discount and you think it's hilarious. https://www.tanga.com/deals/793a7fbb18ec/dc-comics-world-tech-batman-3-5ch-rc-helicopter

You just might accidentally fly it into someone's hair, at work, who you are currently dating.

Don't date your work. It always ends badly.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
Why try to bang the receptionist when you can bang the entirety of the reception desk?

Queen Combat
Dec 29, 2017

Lipstick Apathy

poo poo POST MALONE posted:

Why try to bang the receptionist when you can bang the entirety of the reception desk?

Mahogany!

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Erisian Automata posted:

The only drone you should buy because you think it's hilarious is this one ThinkGeek used to sell (RIP)

Brute Squad
Dec 20, 2006

Laughter is the sun that drives winter from the human race

Phanatic posted:

Ground effect isn't about walls being around you and ducting the airflow, it's just being close to the ground. If you're in a helicopter close to the ground, then less air is flowing down through the rotor disc, which in turn means that for a given blade pitch angle you have more thrust. It's kind of the opposite of settling with power. Getting into disturbed airflow near the ground because there are walls and other objects around you that are deflecting the downwash back into the helicopter and sending it skating all around isn't ground effect, it's just a bad situation.

You're right. I was lumping the impact of non-infinite 'airspace' on aerodynamics together as "ground effect". Aero 1 & 2 was too many years ago.

Vanadium Dame
May 29, 2002

haveblue posted:

The only drone you should buy because you think it's hilarious is this one ThinkGeek used to sell (RIP)

Nerds get bored and like toys I guess. Someone at a different dev shop I worked for bought an IR-controlled inflatable shark blimp-balloon with a fan on it, and a dare was opened up to slam it into the glass wall of the conference room repeatedly while a meeting with investors was happening, which was accepted, and no one gave a poo poo. That place was really not OSHA-worthy at all, unless you count the fact that a chunk of downtown denver still uses steam heat and massive cockroaches venture up into buildings due to that. Could be worse, previous job had rattlesnakes in the crawlspace under the first floor and sometimes the babies would slither up into the cafeteria.

hypnophant
Oct 19, 2012

haveblue posted:

I've always thought you could get a decent fantasy series out of following the magic lawyers who write and negotiate the pacts wizards make with demons. Necromantic contract law.

It's been written - Max Gladstone's Craft series, in which gods, priests, mages, and necromancers are all lawyers and, though it may be redundant to say so at this time, also assholes. Two Serpents Rise, which I read last year and sorta remember, is about a water rights dispute in occupied indigenous territory. OSHA content includes a desalinization facility run from the living heart of a dead god, and a pumping station powered by loving with the slumber of the titular Two Serpents.

Woolwich Bagnet
Apr 27, 2003

Several years ago when I was still in grad school our uni was moving to a new chemical inventory system which meant that we needed to tag all the chemicals in our lab. We had something like 2000+ chemicals so this was a long process. During this we found a 1 kg bottle of picric acid with ~750 g left in it from 1978. Picric acid for anyone that doesn't know is a shock sensitive explosive when it dries, and tends to form crystals around the seal that can detonate on opening with force if it's been sitting for a long time. My boss was a cheap rear end and thus wanted me to open it, take a gram out, dissolve it in water and store it for future use 'in case we need it.' I walked out of his office and back to the lab, stood around for a few minutes, then went back in and told him that the cap was unable to be opened. Then I walked out and called EHS who had a bomb squad dispose of it.

Vanadium Dame
May 29, 2002

Minnesota Mixup posted:

'1 kg bottle of picric acid with ~750 g left in it from 1978.'
'crystals around the seal'

Um. I'm not sure what I would have done there. Probably screamed as quietly as I could while slowly shuffling away and then dialing the bomb squad from a distance. Friction/contact/shock explosives are fuckno.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

quote:

In the early 20th century, picric acid was stocked in pharmacies as an antiseptic and as a treatment for burns, malaria, herpes, and smallpox. Picric acid-soaked gauze was also commonly stocked in first aid kits from that period as a burn treatment.

Uh, did they have chemistry in the early 20th century? This guaze dries out, becomes explosive, and it also reacts with the metal first aid container and makes an even worse explosive? How did we even survive early medicine?

small ghost
Jan 30, 2013

Cojawfee posted:

Uh, did they have chemistry in the early 20th century? This guaze dries out, becomes explosive, and it also reacts with the metal first aid container and makes an even worse explosive? How did we even survive early medicine?

To be fair a lot of us didn't

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Cojawfee posted:

I think we underestimate just how often people died from various accidents and illnesses back then. And I don't just mean in ways that are at least semiobviously dangerous like falling into a vat of chemicals at work, or falling off a roof patching a leak.

Like, I bet even with the occasional family wiped out in a house fire, it was still a big net positive for mortality to have antiseptics readily available, particularly since there is a not-so-fine patina of rust and animal poo poo on literally every exposed surf6.

small ghost
Jan 30, 2013

Azathoth posted:

I think we underestimate just how often people died from various accidents and illnesses back then. And I don't just mean in ways that are at least semiobviously dangerous like falling into a vat of chemicals at work, or falling off a roof patching a leak.

Like, I bet even with the occasional family wiped out in a house fire, it was still a big net positive for mortality to have antiseptics readily available, particularly since there is a not-so-fine patina of rust and animal poo poo on literally every exposed surf6.

The first patient to be treated with penicillin was 25 year old Albert Alexander, in 1941. He had a massive infection and was successfully treated for some time, but unfortunately they had very little supply at that point and obviously didn't know about courses; despite extracting excess penicillin from his urine to readminister, they ran out too early and he relapsed and died. The wound that took him out is usually said to be a scratch, to the face, from a rosebush.

It's hard to really get across in a post antibiotics, post antiseptic-hygiene world just how many people died from infections from relatively minor injuries in the very recent past.

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
No source on this, but it belongs if true.

https://twitter.com/evcricket/status/1215039768091717632?s=19

https://twitter.com/evcricket/status/1215040328610115584?s=19

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
The guy just happened to have a security torx bit on him?

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
Or it was a poorly designed unit and it was easy to leverage the panel open.

I dunno.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Tesla or ChargePoint?

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Feel like this is OSHA thread worthy.
https://i.imgur.com/EJj0Y5h.gifv

Ceiling fan
Dec 26, 2003

I really like ceilings.
Dead Man’s Band

Tim Thomas posted:

the Hydrogen LEL

Huh. I didn't know you could get something like that. Good.

Tim Thomas posted:

the hydrogen generator.

Because apparently this is also a thing that exists. Goddamn.

Tim Thomas posted:

I started doing the failure analysis and found that the hydrogen generator isolation valve failed open (!) as well as the final valve between the flow controller and chamber (!!) so basically overnight the chamber, which is typically valve off and isolated under vacuum when idle, had gone up to about .8 atmosphere of hydrogen overnight

You're going to have to bring to work a steel plate with "Do you have stairs in your house?" etched on it. I want SA to get a cameo in a future CSB video.

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib

hypnophant posted:

It's been written - Max Gladstone's Craft series, in which gods, priests, mages, and necromancers are all lawyers and, though it may be redundant to say so at this time, also assholes. Two Serpents Rise, which I read last year and sorta remember, is about a water rights dispute in occupied indigenous territory. OSHA content includes a desalinization facility run from the living heart of a dead god, and a pumping station powered by loving with the slumber of the titular Two Serpents.

There is a lot more OSHA content than that. There's a city powered by holy steamworks that uses a fire god as the heat source in the first book, and then one of the sequels has a temple inside a live volcano (I think? I remember something about lava having the power to transform people).

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood
Real world lava also has the ability to transform people. Into ash and screams.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Ceiling fan posted:

Because apparently this is also a thing that exists. Goddamn.

You can do it yourself with a 9 volt battery and a glass of water.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

jesus christ just flipping that breaker requires category 2 arc flash ppe and they're telling some clown how to get in there over the phone

Ceiling fan
Dec 26, 2003

I really like ceilings.
Dead Man’s Band
Why would I do that, when it sounds like I can just buy one off the shelf, plop it down on my bench and have a nice big vessel of hydrogen gas any time I wanted? Like it's a goddamn Harbor Freight air compressor or something. Pretty sure I've got a 20% off coupon around here somewhere.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
You can also just buy some hydrochloric acid and some sodium, mix them together, and you get hydrogen and table salt.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Devor posted:

For projects moving more than 50,000 cubic yards of dirt, daily production rates are from 1200-4500 CY per day, per site. If you have guys working in from both ends, you could treat it like two sites.

https://flh.fhwa.dot.gov/resources/design/tools/cfl/documents/CFLHD_production_rates.xls

The Suez Canal was largely dug with shovels, sixty thousand forced labourers at one time.

Tim Thomas
Feb 12, 2008
breakdancin the night away

Ceiling fan posted:

Why would I do that, when it sounds like I can just buy one off the shelf, plop it down on my bench and have a nice big vessel of hydrogen gas any time I wanted? Like it's a goddamn Harbor Freight air compressor or something. Pretty sure I've got a 20% off coupon around here somewhere.

you aren't wrong, the biggest pain in the rear end is getting a good supply of deionized water

getting a decent unit and refurbing it is a matter of a couple hundy for the carcass then fixing what is probably a leaky solenoid internally

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013

Platystemon posted:

The Suez Canal was largely dug with shovels, sixty thousand forced labourers at one time.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/White_Sea%E2%80%93Baltic_Canal

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Cojawfee posted:

You can also just buy some hydrochloric acid and some sodium, mix them together, and you get hydrogen and table salt.

That's how Soviet salt shakers work.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

HelloIAmYourHeart posted:

There is a lot more OSHA content than that. There's a city powered by holy steamworks that uses a fire god as the heat source in the first book, and then one of the sequels has a temple inside a live volcano (I think? I remember something about lava having the power to transform people).

There's a bit in the early Malazan books where a city has gaslamps on the streets that run off the gas deposits in caverns below. The invading force sends some basically Special Forces soldiers to go stir up poo poo in the town, and one of the ideas they have is to dig up a portion of a main intersection disguised as city workers, and lay explosives there for maximum fuckery at a date of their choosing. They figure out not long after this that if they actually want to capture the city, as opposed to vaporising it, they should probably not do that.

Vanadium Dame
May 29, 2002

Cojawfee posted:

I would caution against this. I was foolish with metallic sodium and regular ol' water once. Didn't lose fingat but the reaction was certainly more vigorous than expected.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Erisian Automata posted:

I would caution against this. I was foolish with metallic sodium and regular ol' water once. Didn't lose fingat but the reaction was certainly more vigorous than expected.

Because you used water dumbo. That stuff's dangerous. Sodium and water makes dangerous explosions. HCl and Na just makes harmless dirigible filling and flavor enhancer.

Marcade
Jun 11, 2006

Who are you to glizzy gobble El Vago's marshmussy?

What food uses hydrogen as a flavor enhancer? A hindenburger?

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

Erisian Automata posted:

:thejoke:

Sammus
Nov 30, 2005

PHIZ KALIFA posted:

OSHA thread, I have a question. Let's say there's a hill, 200 yards wide by 300 yards long. The middle rises to a 60' mound, we can assume a uniform shape, roughly triangular pyramidal in design. How long would it take an average construction team with modern equipment to excavate that area, to a depth of 60'?

Edit- For context, there's 5,400,000 ft of earth to be excavated down to ground level, then an additional 32,400,000 below that. Ground condition is sloped and marshy, with a series of large stones on the top of the hill and around one edge of the field.

I’m a Mining Engineer with a decent history in the field. If you don’t give a gently caress what’s under there and I have a decent budget for equipment (2 good sized front end loaders and a handful of large (300ton) haul trucks) and you don’t care where I put the dirt, it can be done in under a week. But that’s just to make a big rear end hole in loose dirt. If after I mine the top flat it becomes stone, I’ll need at least another day to drill and shoot it.

If you care about what’s down there and don’t want it completely destroyed in the process, I can’t answer that but from my experience, it’ll take years.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

From the tone of the questions I get the impression that 'completely destroyed' is considered a feature rather than a bug.

French Canadian
Feb 23, 2004

Fluffy cat sensory experience
I assume the tomb is actually a mound of bodies from war crimes but like it's only bad guy corpses? Or maybe it's a tomb of dead cows?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

coke
Jul 12, 2009

Tim Thomas posted:

so there’s your two point failure, at least I didn’t hit yahtzee and have the fan spark or something

Glad we had the earlier talk and guess you were right, the valves and other components might fail on you :v: