Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

fight like hell to prevent a no strike/no lockout clause from being in the contract, IME a no-strike clause also extends to slowdowns and walkouts in addition to strikes which basically leaves you with the options "write letters, wear buttons/red, and then strike" which is an escalation leap most folks aren't going to want to make.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

as for remote workplace things to do as action against mgmt (and then to put in contract later):

- contract: cameras off at all times (maybe voluntary on the employees discretion in contract)
--- as an action, that should be a fairly low stakes thing & it might freak the bosses out

- contract: no key/mouse tracking on any machines, not ever. its a perverse metric that at best just makes people move their mouse around and type space-delete while thinking.
--- action: if they do do that and are clueless, its a bit riskier to show how easy it is to circumvent, but for example you could all set it up to show activity at some time on a sunday night or whatever

- contract: any mandatory office attendance needs at least x weeks notice
--- action: just dont show up without proper notice (risky as well)

- the classics: office hours is office hours, no matter if youre remote. no emails, no phone before/after, also not during lunch.
--- action: dont answer (but maybe read during the action phase to see if phil literally got stuck under a stack of shelves? idk)

- contract: also basically the laptop or remote desktop should be considered your personal office. nobody would like some manager to go in there every 10 minutes and touch everything.
--- action: turn off your laptops

Carthag Tuek has issued a correction as of 20:09 on Jan 5, 2024

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

those are all great, thanks! I think some of this is highlighting for me how different the nonprofit space is in this regard. as things stand, we're light on meetings and cameras aren't required. there's no key or mouse tracking of any kind and I'm sure there'd be a rebellion if it was ever suggested. same with expectations to work outside of 8-5, they're genuinely aghast at the idea and nobody is permitted to go over 40 full stop.

i'm not sure about in-office stuff but there are some union members in the organization's actual office (which is across the country from me) so that is a good reminder to make sure we also advocate for them.

Lib and let die posted:

fight like hell to prevent a no strike/no lockout clause from being in the contract, IME a no-strike clause also extends to slowdowns and walkouts in addition to strikes which basically leaves you with the options "write letters, wear buttons/red, and then strike" which is an escalation leap most folks aren't going to want to make.

I think we have already secured this but I'm gonna take a gander at the contract and bring it up to make sure the language is solid. I can't imagine how horrible this would be with a soulless for-profit company as the adversary. administration where I work are odious bourgeois vampires, of course, but they have spent decades advocating openly for all kinds of "inclusive" stuff that makes it a lot harder for them to openly ratfuck us without looking like huge hypocrites in the nonprofit world. that hasn't stopped them from doing so, ofc, but they're being sneakier about it than is typical I imagine.

really appreciate the advice!

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

Frog Act posted:

but they have spent decades advocating openly for all kinds of "inclusive" stuff that makes it a lot harder for them to openly ratfuck us without looking like huge hypocrites in the nonprofit world.

If I could take one thing I learned serving in the nonprofit-industrial complex and make it known as an absolute truth it's that non-profits don't give a poo poo about looking like hypocrites. NARAL is one of the largest, most well-known non-profits in the country and they have no problem taking openly union-busting actions. Don't for one second underestimate their willingness to stoop to the same level as a for-profit org, and expect them to use the ideology backing the org as a weapon against you and gamble that the BU's passion will outweigh their willingness to disrupt the organization and thus the clients they serve.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

Lib and let die posted:

If I could take one thing I learned serving in the nonprofit-industrial complex and make it known as an absolute truth it's that non-profits don't give a poo poo about looking like hypocrites. NARAL is one of the largest, most well-known non-profits in the country and they have no problem taking openly union-busting actions. Don't for one second underestimate their willingness to stoop to the same level as a for-profit org, and expect them to use the ideology backing the org as a weapon against you and gamble that the BU's passion will outweigh their willingness to disrupt the organization and thus the clients they serve.

this is 100% what I'm seeing right now with the Seattle Art Museum strike going on right now. spot on.

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

DR FRASIER KRANG posted:

this is 100% what I'm seeing right now with the Seattle Art Museum strike going on right now. spot on.

SAM is on strike??? I haven’t heard anything about this

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
from the Seattle LAN thread:

PokeJoe posted:

Walked by a little strike at SAM today, go team

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

thanks for sharing, interesting that theyre an independent union bc they are wall-to-wall, including security staff. That seems pretty rare. Taft-hartley has a carve out for security/guards, they have to be in their own units.

It will severely limit their ability to strike if they have to, but that's great that they stuck to a more inclusive and all encompassing approach on the floor

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

SAM's vistor services employees unionized.... years ago now. they're an independent union. the museum is basically just stonewalling them. i've not heard that they're properly on strike.

SAM is a pretty tightwad institution, which is too bad, because they have some great stuff and are surrounded by wealth. but those wealthy people want their own foundations and museums (Paul Allen, for example, had his own collection and staff that was in charge of care, loans, installation, and swapping out poo poo on, for example, his yacht via helicopter when he had important people he wanted to show off to)

e: is it wall-to-wall??? I know people who work there and they haven't said that. I thought it was just the visitor services/sercurity employees? the website isn't very clear.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME has issued a correction as of 21:05 on Jan 6, 2024

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

I like the little frog guy

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

JAY ZERO SUM GAME posted:

SAM's vistor services employees unionized.... years ago now. they're an independent union. the museum is basically just stonewalling them. i've not heard that they're properly on strike.

SAM is a pretty tightwad institution, which is too bad, because they have some great stuff and are surrounded by wealth. but those wealthy people want their own foundations and museums (Paul Allen, for example, had his own collection and staff that was in charge of care, loans, installation, and swapping out poo poo on, for example, his yacht via helicopter when he had important people he wanted to show off to)

e: is it wall-to-wall??? I know people who work there and they haven't said that. I thought it was just the visitor services/sercurity employees? the website isn't very clear.

If not wall to wall it seems like a mix of visitor services and security, from their website. But yes it's vague and I have no idea what conditions are like beyond what they've published.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
Found this article about the first CBA in women's hockey and it goes into a lot of what makes forming a strong union and getting support difficult but still worthwhile: https://defector.com/womens-hockey-pwhl-pwhpa-labor-cba

Particularly of note to me is this paragraph:

quote:

It's peculiar, if not surprising, that women athletes so often must defend their employers. In women's sports, the best players in the world are conscripted as ambassadors. They work this second job for no pay. Their task is to plead two related but meaningfully different cases: that what they love to do can be a viable business, and that what they love to do must be done in a stable working environment. In the interest of the first fight, it might seem reasonable to downplay the second. There's no easy way to say that what you do matters while simultaneously pointing out everything that suggests the opposite. This tension spans generations. When Jayna Hefford returned home from victories in Salt Lake City or Turin, no one wanted to hear about funding and infrastructure. They wanted a good Canadian girl to say the women's game was growing, that its future was bright, that it was charging forward. They loved a simple story of progress, no matter how true.

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005
i'm nervous https://www.reuters.com/legal/us-supreme-court-hear-dispute-over-starbucks-firing-pro-union-workers-2024-01-12/

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005
good news to balance it out. if your job has one of these bullshit organizations, it very well might be illegal! https://www.reuters.com/legal/government/t-mobile-sponsored-group-is-unlawful-labor-organization-us-court-rules-2024-01-12/

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001
https://twitter.com/jamieson/status/1746278621281390720

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

The court is absolutely going to gut labor law. Expect them to say you can be fired for even looking at a union

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005
https://twitter.com/quentinjmccoy/status/1747001527753932953

they spoke at my reinstatement so it especially rules to see this.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

it doesn’t happen as often as it should, and it’s way too hard to make it happen, but NLRB justice is direct and powerful and I am loving here for it

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

NLRB Justice rules because it results in very concrete actions and the company has to put up a poster that explicitly states how they hosed up and how they won't do it again (they will but it's nice that they have to eat some amount of poo poo).

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2024/jan/17/us-beer-union-strike-bud-light-anheuser-busch

quote:

Arroyo said the 99% strike authorization vote sent a message that workers are sticking together to demand what’s due to them. The last contract reached in 2019 included only $2.50 in wage increases over five years and included higher medical benefit costs for new employees.

“Even our younger employees who aren’t so well versed in unions are getting on board. They see what the future holds. They’ve seen their parents struggle and I think now they’re realizing that’s not the life they want,” added Arroyo.

Pretty cool, 👍

Lazy_Liberal
Sep 17, 2005

These stones are :sparkles: precious :sparkles:
great to see. Busch III used to come to sea world and he was a real douchebag. heavily anti-union and they'd give you free beer as a work benefit

lumpentroll
Mar 4, 2020

AnimeIsTrash posted:

The last contract reached in 2019 included only $2.50 in wage increases over five years and included higher medical benefit costs for new employees.

lol jesus

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

Lazy_Liberal posted:

great to see. Busch III used to come to sea world and he was a real douchebag. heavily anti-union and they'd give you free beer as a work benefit

this is the plot of “last exit to Springfield”

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005
csu wants people to report any strike activity to their website. just cross posting this here in case ANYONE wants to report a strike you’ve seen there!! https://app.smartsheet.com/b/form/2a7626b7413b4a16989f2ea0b8d86a47

Joey Steel
Jul 24, 2019

kingcobweb posted:

csu wants people to report any strike activity to their website. just cross posting this here in case ANYONE wants to report a strike you’ve seen there!! https://app.smartsheet.com/b/form/2a7626b7413b4a16989f2ea0b8d86a47

Lol, many of my students have been reporting the campus president or the members of the board of trustees as not in teaching classes. It's fun.

EDIT: Many bigfoot sightings as well. Such esteemed colleagues I never knew.

I wanna go to the picket line, but I want to picket at the uni closer to me, so I think I'll just show up there and see if they turn me away.

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

Joey Steel posted:

Lol, many of my students have been reporting the campus president or the members of the board of trustees as not in teaching classes. It's fun.

EDIT: Many bigfoot sightings as well. Such esteemed colleagues I never knew.

I wanna go to the picket line, but I want to picket at the uni closer to me, so I think I'll just show up there and see if they turn me away.

hell yeah, congrats on the strike, give 'em hell. let us know how the picket lines are!

NYT on the strike: https://www.nytimes.com/2024/01/22/us/csu-california-faculty-strike.html?smtyp=cur&smid=bsky-nytimes

Joey Steel
Jul 24, 2019
Lol, strike is called off, the tentative terms have a lot of rank and file up in arms.

no concession on increasing therapist to student ratios

5% raise now, and pinky promise 5% raise next year ("if state funding isn't cut", instead of "if funding is increased")

family leave for newborn/newly adopted child is 10 weeks instead of 6 (ask was for a semester)

There is a chance that this won't pass a vote.

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005
https://twitter.com/MorePerfectUS/status/1749497048079188346

go off

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

Joey Steel posted:

Lol, strike is called off, the tentative terms have a lot of rank and file up in arms.

5% raise now, and pinky promise 5% raise next year ("if state funding isn't cut", instead of "if funding is increased")

family leave for newborn/newly adopted child is 10 weeks instead of 6 (ask was for a semester)

not to go full trot and tell people to vote it down before knowing the full context... yeahhh......... i'd get in touch with other people in your unit and call some R&F meetings about this

Joey Steel
Jul 24, 2019

kingcobweb posted:

not to go full trot and tell people to vote it down before knowing the full context... yeahhh......... i'd get in touch with other people in your unit and call some R&F meetings about this

So far nobody in the Mechanical Engineering, Physics or Engineering Tech department at my campus have said anything positive.

This may get voted down, and we may end up with new leadership soon.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

Joey Steel posted:

it shouldn't. employers will never honor a verbal commitment during bargaining. that's bullshit

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

pretty pissed that UAW endorsed Biden .

webcams for christ
Nov 2, 2005

they want the NLRB on their side since SCOTUS is a lost cause for now

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
shouldnt they endorse the guy that's gonna win instead then?

HallelujahLee
May 3, 2009

entirely expected and pretty pathetic on their part what a joke

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

I don’t love it but I trust Fain enough to think that either 1) he’s gamed this out and done a pro/con calculation or 2) Biden threatened him with an adverse NLRB ruling on some important issue and he’s taking his lumps to protect his membership. That would suck? but I’d get it, at least, you can’t eat principle.

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005
Biden’s NLRB is good and he wants a good NLRB rather than bad. seems straightforward

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Biden and the Dems are materially supporting a genocide that the UAW just not two months ago called for an end to. The nlrb is a joke anyway who loving cares about one appointment he made 4 years ago. The dept is still desperately underfunded and neither bourgeois party cares about it.

They had the easiest layup in history to say "neither party represents the interests of the working class + we don't support the US imperial project in Israel".

HallelujahLee
May 3, 2009

In Training posted:

Biden and the Dems are materially supporting a genocide that the UAW just not two months ago called for an end to. The nlrb is a joke anyway who loving cares about one appointment he made 4 years ago. The dept is still desperately underfunded and neither bourgeois party cares about it.

They had the easiest layup in history to say "neither party represents the interests of the working class + we don't support the US imperial project in Israel".

if you cant take a real stand against genocide what are you even worth lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

Al! posted:

shouldnt they endorse the guy that's gonna win instead then?

HallelujahLee posted:

if you cant take a real stand against genocide what are you even worth lol