Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Rhyno posted:

My girlfriend learned how to change a tire by watching me do it one loving time. She asked no questions, I didn't even know she was paying attention. She just silently took stock of what I was doing and has since changed tires of a half dozen of her useless friends who all wanted to call their boyfriends or AAA or just sit and wait for someone to help them.

My wife knew how to change a tire before I met her. She had to stnad on the wrench to loosen the lugs, but got it done. Her best freind not only knows how to change tires, but did it to switch to autocross tires. :)
Shortly after I met her, my wife helped me pull a rearend out of a G-body Malibu wagon to put into my Regal (better gears.) I knew then that if she was not THE One, she was in the running.

The Wonder Weapon posted:

I want red calipers, and was thinking about trying to paint them, but apparently removal involves disconnecting the brake line which I really don't want to get in to, and cleaning the existing ones would likely be a nightmare. Buying new ones is unnecessary and expensive, so I thought maybe a cover? But those are apparently $180. What the gently caress. I just want cool red calipers damnit.

Cleaning is not that bad. Simple Green and a bit of scrubbing, then Brake Clean, to get any oils off. I usually use brush on kits, but the spray works fine with a little masking. Either way, the last few I've done, I pull the caliper off of the mount, and set it on a stand made from a vertical 2x4 screwed to a 2x6 base. I can leave the hose connected that way, remove the pads, and the stand helps mask the piston area.
I'd point you at some pictures, but my Gallery installation ceased to function when my hosting upgraded PHP and MySQL.

Safety Dance posted:

That's boy racer as gently caress, but whatever floats your boat. Just mask off the brake line and the rotor, spray the caliper down with brake cleaner, then go nuts with high temp red paint. No need to even pull the thing off the car, really.

Beats rust. All my cars are old enough that they didn't get the nice silver coating that newer cars get, so: rust.

Rhyno posted:

I put caliper covers on the Civic.

In my defense they were $6!

I've been tempted to get those plastic "Brembo" covers just to troll. Kind of like the Big Red cans I used as exhaust tip covers on my (red) RX-7.

InitialDave posted:

I'm right there with you, buddy. Down to 308 currently.

290 currently. At least I'm 6'2" so I don't look like a beach ball or something. Really, really need to get motivated. Apparently the fact that I already have low-level beetus isn't enough to kick my rear end into gear. If only food wasn't so very tasty...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Oh hey dude that stole $10k in cash, jewlery and electronics from me several years ago, just come into my store and hang out for 30 minutes while trying to avoid my gaze while the dude you are with talks to his room mate who works here. Its coo'. I'm not bothered at all. I'm certainly not thinking lovingly of the 20 inch breaker bar hanging from the rack on the tool aisle. :v:

Edit: gently caress this month in general, its sucked. Come on april, I've got some low rear end expectations and you can totally exceed them by not making GBS threads on me constantly like march has!

Elmnt80 fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Mar 30, 2016

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

And, of course as always, kill Hitler.

Literally wrapping up a 10hr shift abd we got an emergency call for a fiber outage. Guess I won't be going home tonight.

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

Super Aggro Crag posted:

Literally wrapping up a 10hr shift abd we got an emergency call for a fiber outage. Guess I won't be going home tonight.

OT = Best T

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Super Aggro Crag posted:

Two weeks after starting his :toot: dream job :toot: and he's already bitching about it.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

yeah it's hilarious when you want something for a while and it finally happens and then poo poo starts going downhill

hope that never happens to me

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
Anecdotally speaking, something like half the engineers I know find out they don't like doing it after a couple years and end up doing something else.

Sample size: 2

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

wait poo poo did i just sympathize with SAC wtf

The Prong Song
Sep 7, 2002

WHITE
DRIVES
MATTER

Enourmo posted:

wait poo poo did i just sympathize with SAC wtf

You and SAC have been the AI punching bags lately so it was really inevitable.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

meatpimp posted:

Two weeks after starting his :toot: dream job :toot: and he's already bitching about it.
Two days after :toot: probation :toot: and you're already bitching about someone else.

:v:

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Elmnt80 posted:

Oh hey dude that stole $10k in cash, jewlery and electronics from me several years ago, just come into my store and hang out for 30 minutes while trying to avoid my gaze while the dude you are with talks to his room mate who works here. Its coo'. I'm not bothered at all. I'm certainly not thinking lovingly of the 20 inch breaker bar hanging from the rack on the tool aisle. :v:

I feel you're going to need to share the story here. Story time!

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011

Quite A Tool
Jul 4, 2004

The answer is... 42
gently caress me. Came home from a beautiful vacation to see my Jeep jacked up by its pumpkin and hole punched in my fuel tank.

Anyone know of a good sealer for a plastic tank, or barring that somewhere I can get a replacement? Rock auto doesn't have one and so far my Google fu is bringing up no '97 tanks only up to 96. I know 97 was a weird year for the electrics but would a 96 tank fit?

Quite A Tool fucked around with this message at 23:49 on Mar 30, 2016

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Cage posted:

Two days after :toot: probation :toot: and you're already bitching about someone else.

:v:

That's a complete non sequitur, but if it makes you feel better, have at it.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках
Better question, who is paying for it?

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

Quite A Tool posted:

gently caress me. Came home from a beautiful vacation to see my Jeep jacked up by its pumpkin and hole punched in my fuel tank.

Anyone know of a good sealer for a plastic tank, or barring that somewhere I can get a replacement? Rock auto doesn't have one and so far my Google fu is bringing up no '97 tanks only up to 96. I know 97 was a weird year for the electrics but would a 96 tank fit?
I feel like we're missing part of the story...

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Someone siphoned the gas out of my car recently so maybe someone didn't want gas in their mouth?

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

I'm not bitching, I am just talking. You loving robots. Some chud cut through a wrong fiber cable and took out the cable and internet to 3 towns he got fired and the news is here. :suicide:

Quite A Tool
Jul 4, 2004

The answer is... 42

Cage posted:

I feel like we're missing part of the story...

I was pretty low on gas when I parked it so maybe they tried siphoning, didn't get much and drilled the tank to get more? I grabbed a tank seal kit from O'Reilly's hopefully that does it.

They left some trash scissor jack so I didn't even get a consolation prize.

Quite A Tool fucked around with this message at 01:35 on Mar 31, 2016

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
Why are people stealing gas when it's like $0.80 a gallon right now? (Thanks Obama)

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
I need more time in the week, I'm so loving close to done with this engine swap....

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Safety Dance posted:

About two years and eight months ago, I told my then-girlfriend to spend $175 or so on the three year next business day on site repair Lenovo extended warranty. Since then, it's replaced almost every part in that laptop but the keyboard and screen at least once. 45 days of warranty left, and the lappy needs a new battery. I called them this evening, and I expect the problem will be solved by Thursday.

Always Be Buying Lenovo Warranties. I wish I could get Lenovo to warranty my Macbook / Jeep.

AppleCare will do the same thing, even including covering some really stupidity damage at times - but you really shouldn't be buying Lenovos anymore if they need that much goddamn work. I just got handed yet another one that has a keyboard dock error.

They've really gone to poo poo for quality.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Motronic posted:

AppleCare will do the same thing, even including covering some really stupidity damage at times - but you really shouldn't be buying Lenovos anymore if they need that much goddamn work. I just got handed yet another one that has a keyboard dock error.

What's the go to for well built highish end laptops these days? Thinkpads were my go to, though I haven't bought one in like 6 years (which shows how long this one has lasted but it won't last forever).

The Wonder Weapon
Dec 16, 2006

literally a fish posted:

marty and moog can help you out (from way back in season one!)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o3mhq_BrnU0

disconnecting the line is super easy

This is pretty good information. I can't tell what looks like more of a recipe for disaster though; trying to tape off a caliper still connected to the car or disconnecting the brake lines.

I'm wondering if the easiest way would be to unbolt the caliper but not disconnect the brake line. Prop up the caliper, remove the pads, and then paint the whole thing. If I went that route, would I be running the chance of painting something I shouldn't be?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

nm posted:

What's the go to for well built highish end laptops these days? Thinkpads were my go to, though I haven't bought one in like 6 years (which shows how long this one has lasted but it won't last forever).

You can pick up a Dell Precision M4600 for cheap, its increadibly modularized, everything is user replaceable and can carry up to 32GB of DDR3 in 4 slots, and 3 hard disks (2 HDDs and 1 mSATA SSD).

Its not supper modern, but its a great machine if you want something you can maintain.

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

Tim's coffee is apparently serious business.

http://www.winnipegsun.com/2016/03/30/apparent-stabbing-at-lag-drive-thru

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
I said it in the AB thread and I'll say it again here.

Seat Safety Switch posted:

It floors me whenever I visit Red Deer and witness the disparity between Tim Hortons and the Donut Mill.

Donut Mill: Nice, cleanly-parking families taking their children out for the day. Polite help who call you "sir" and want to have a conversation while serving decent coffee and thick, fresh sandwiches. Everyone is smiling.

Tim Hortons: winner-take-all white trash demolition derby where people in Korean bimbo boxes scream at inbreds in jacked-up towing-mirror base model F150s for loving up putting things in the recycle bin, while the remaining morons cut each other off in the drive-through, honk at pedestrians and drive over curbs in fully-decorated work trucks.
It worries me when I hear people talking about the customers of Tim Hortons as being the average Canadian. I'm worried they're right.

puberty worked me over
May 20, 2013

by Cyrano4747

CommieGIR posted:

You can pick up a Dell Precision M4600 for cheap, its increadibly modularized, everything is user replaceable and can carry up to 32GB of DDR3 in 4 slots, and 3 hard disks (2 HDDs and 1 mSATA SSD).

Its not supper modern, but its a great machine if you want something you can maintain.

One of my bosses has the M6600 and it took all of 10 minutes to swap out the GPU board.

Mat_Drinks
Nov 18, 2002

mmm this nitromethane gets my supercharger runnin'

Tusen Takk posted:

tbf i look way less goofy as a baldy now though

Bald headed dude club :respek:. Check out one punch man if you're an animu nerd.

I haven't been posting much lately, but I feel like I need to share/vent. Today I interviewed for a Manager position (I'm currently a supervisor) and holy smokes they treated it like I was applying to be CIO (real talk though, I'd like to be CIO). Four IT directors, Four senior analysts, one CMIO, one Periop director and one Surgery VP... It was easily the most intense interview I've ever been through. I didn't do as well as I'd have liked, just 'ok', but I think I still have a decent shot at it. Here's hoping!

I hope you're all doing well!

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Extra posted:

One of my bosses has the M6600 and it took all of 10 minutes to swap out the GPU board.

Yeah, I think the M6600 supports MXM III Type B, the M4700 only takes the MXM III Type A which is smaller. I upgraded my GPU from a AMD FirePro M5950 (Radeon 5000) to an AMD FirePro M5100 (Radeon R9 M200x)

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008
Business class laptops seem like the way to go these days. They seem like they're the only ones that you have user replaceable anything.

The Royal Nonesuch
Nov 1, 2005

Quite A Tool posted:

That blows dude. XJ? I assume you checked craigslist? I see lots of tanks for cheap on there, but I do live an hour from the 909/lots of jeep customizers. If you're super desperate you might contact Inland Jeep in Rialto CA and see about shipping, that dude parts out a lot of XJs.

I have a friend who punctured a plastic tank on a rental car deep in Mexico backcountry - he found a local rancher who performed a highly technical olfactory test of ambient gas fumes before melting the hole shut with a welding torch, so there's always that :v:

Good excuse to buy a tank skidplate imo.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

CommieGIR posted:

Are dell laptops (the enterprise ones) generally decent? The m4600 is a bit bigger and heavier than I'd like, but something that is modular and iser servicable is right up my alley.
I'd be replacing a t410s, for reference.

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

My Latitude E6400 that I got in 2009 is still kicking. It can't play games or anything but considering all I have done to is it replace the keyboard and charger and up the RAM from 2GB to 4GB, I can't complain.

Also, holy loving 16 hours at work. Finally finished up and am heading back to the shop. Gotta get up in 6 hours to do it again. Looks like they will be giving us Friday off so gently caress it.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

nm posted:

Are dell laptops (the enterprise ones) generally decent? The m4600 is a bit bigger and heavier than I'd like, but something that is modular and iser servicable is right up my alley.

The mid-high end ones are. Stick with the business models like the Precision and Latitude. The M4700 isn't terribly heavy, its a 15.5" machine with a lot packed in.

Dell even provides a 'Owners Manual' that guides you on taking it apart from top to bottom.

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 04:00 on Mar 31, 2016

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat
I personally have a 2014 Macbook Pro and a Lenovo T530 at work. They're both great machines.

All of the T/Wx40 Lenovos I've seen just suck compared to the earlier ones. Issues with docks, display output weirdness, they're a huge pain. I don't have much experience with Dell professional line stuff but I've heard good things.

Mac Pros are solid but you have to deal with OSX bullshit sometimes, especially regarding window positioning. If you use Windows/SMB networking their stack is total loving subpar dogshit. NFS works fine, so I'm 97% sure they're doing it on purpose because they're assholes.

Wrar fucked around with this message at 03:53 on Mar 31, 2016

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

Just got pulled over going 55 in a 40 and as soon as I told him I just fixed the outage he let me go without a warning. Guess they couldn't even get 911 calls during the outage.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Ok then

Ether Frenzy posted:

Why are people stealing gas when it's like $0.80 a gallon right now? (Thanks Obama)
Still $2.45 for me in CA. The important lesson here is "gently caress Cali".

nm posted:

I'm in love with the E7450s. Easy to access the important components, great battery life. But its an ultrabook so onboard graphics.

ilkhan fucked around with this message at 04:19 on Mar 31, 2016

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

88h88 posted:

I feel you're going to need to share the story here. Story time!

Ok I guess.

[E/N]Lets call dude who showed up N, the other dude who was involved in the robbery T and my co-worker J. So about 4 years ago iirc, N and T were living at my house on and off and were some damned good friends. Like they got a gun pulled on them for telling off some dude in a parking lot after he was being a complete jackass to me for driving too close to him and they didn't care, would do it again. I genuinely believed this and still think they would have before the robbery. Anyways, me, T and N got into some hard drugs and other poo poo after a while and it kinda started to break our friendship apart. I found they had been taking my card while I was asleep and pulling money out to get drugs for two weeks just before christmas. When I confronted them about it, they denied it then waited until I was at a concert and broke into my house. They stole a laptop, 4k in jewlery and a few other things including a stuffed animal head off my wall that I got from my grandfather. They got caught, N got 2 years, but was released early, T got 3 years and served the entirety of it. Since then, N has been generally keeping clean, trying to get his poo poo together and I've been happy to hear it. It still doesn't mean I was happy to find out he's hanging out at one of my co-worker's houses and now that co-worker knows way more abput me than I'm really comfortable with. And doesn't mean that upon seeing him that I didn't have a voice in my head screaming to grab a breaker bar and play baseball with his skull.[E/N]

Its not a period of my life I'm proud of, its not something I'm comfortable with people I work with knowing about and I'm mostly annoyed I can't do anything about this. It was just a big kick in the nuts at the end of a lovely month.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Motronic posted:

It's one of those laptops that flips over into a tablet. My wife wanted that feature because she figured she'd use it all the time. At least one of those service calls was from a lovely third party charger that could be plugged in with the polarity reversed; the battery charging circuit didn't like that. For what it is, and for how my wife treats it, it's held up remarkably well.

ilkhan posted:

Still $2.45 for me in CA. The important lesson here is "gently caress Cali".

You fun-ruiners imposed your emissions laws on the rest of the country.

• Locked thread