Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty
I am curious how big (or little!) my two will end up. I never saw the parents; my mom and little brother did.

Obligatory wrasslin' match:

https://i.imgur.com/TXVoTdd.gifv

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Poor guy either has a UTI, or crystals. Doc's doing the tests and we should find out monday, either way it's obviously not a clean bill of health but it's nothing that isn't manageable. Honestly hoping for the UTI at this point because all that takes is some antibiotics as opposed to a complete diet change for the crystals.

Chef Bourgeoisie
Oct 9, 2016

by Reene
Hey all! Just moved in to a new apartment, and Pequod has done great!
My one concern is about the new stove. At the previous place, the heating elements were raised above the actual surface and were easy to train her to keep off of, but the new place has an electric stovetop and is thus even with the counters and much easier to wander onto.
Any suggestions on how to keep her off of the new stove? I'd rather she not learn the hard way.

Fabulousity
Dec 29, 2008

Number One I order you to take a number two.

Marchegiana posted:

I'm sure they do all the time, I know my boy Odin got a cath when he had a urinary obstruction (the brand name was "slippery sam" which amused me).

Here's Odin after his surgery to remove the bladder stones, all doped up on buprenorphine. He's so big they had to give him a dog cone.

This is a very handsome kitty. :3:

Annath posted:

I am curious how big (or little!) my two will end up. I never saw the parents; my mom and little brother did.

Obligatory wrasslin' match:

You'll have to wait and see I guess. One of the ones I just adopted was a hair over a year old and about a 4-5 weeks into having him he had a sudden (final?) growth spurt and became a hulking behemoth. It was funny for a while because he couldn't quite manage his new size and frequently fell off of beds and chairs when stretching or rolling around.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
What's the deal with chin zits? I just popped a huge old zit on my Crowley's chin. We have steel dishes for food and water and they're cleaned (i.e, with soap and water) on a regular basis.

I washed his chin a bit after popping it. What else can I do? These are big suckers, think the worst zit of your prepubescence and that's about what he gets. I can't imagine it's any less painful than acne is for people.

Macichne Leainig fucked around with this message at 19:55 on Nov 17, 2018

Pixelante
Mar 16, 2006

You people will by God act like a team, or at least like people who know each other, or I'll incinerate the bunch of you here and now.

Protocol7 posted:

What's the deal with chin zits? I just popped a huge old zit on my Crowley's chin. We have steel dishes for food and water and they're cleaned (i.e, with soap and water) on a regular basis.

I washed his chin a bit after popping it. What else can I do? These are big suckers, think the worst zit of your prepubescence and that's about what he gets. I can't imagine it's any less painful than acne is for people.

Food allergy, probably.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty
Thank god I just cleaned it, because these little shits appear to be keen on using their litter box as a play pen.

slave to my cravings
Mar 1, 2007

Got my mind on doritos and doritos on my mind.

Protocol7 posted:

My cats don’t get the biggest zits but they definitely get black heads. We have steel bowls for all their food and water. They occasionally get friskies for a few days when we are traveling and that seems to be the cause of it. It’s probably the thick gravy that they get on their chin and then can’t lick it off properly and it clogs their pores. A damp warm washcloth to clean off their chin after each wet food meal seems to help.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

Pixelante posted:

Food allergy, probably.

Must be. We don’t feed them wet food regularly, they free feed dry. Might have to switch them off to something a little better than Purina One.

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat

Annath posted:

Thank god I just cleaned it, because these little shits appear to be keen on using their litter box as a play pen.

Kittens do this a lot. They tend to know when it's clean but wet wipes usually cope with exceptions. I can only remember having to bathe some once (hey mum! YOUR fosters need cleaning).

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

Anyone got a good plan for teaching a cat that a bath isn't a nightmare?

slave to my cravings
Mar 1, 2007

Got my mind on doritos and doritos on my mind.
AFAIK cats don’t usually need regular baths as long as they can clean themselves. You could try wiping them down with a warm wet towel as an alternative. Brushing with a cat brush regularly could help too. You could maybe try to offer some of their favorite food/treat before or after if they really need a bath. This seems to make trimming nails on my cats a bit easier.

Corsair Pool Boy
Dec 17, 2004
College Slice

Ratzap posted:

Kittens do this a lot. They tend to know when it's clean but wet wipes usually cope with exceptions. I can only remember having to bathe some once (hey mum! YOUR fosters need cleaning).

A confluence of events:

Apparently once I missed the toilet or trash with a piece of used Nicorette. My cat either ate it, pooped it out, and stepped in it or just stepped in it and mashed it in and then stepped in poop, but he had a paw that just had gum wedged all in between his foot pads. And it was black presumably from poop. And smeared all over his paw. And it was transferring to everything he stepped on. Took me about 40 minutes with grooming scissors and kitchen wipes to get most of it (not an easy task with a large cat that does NOT like having his feet hosed with at all) followed by a treasure hunt all over the apartment.

It's a good thing they're cute.

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!

slave to my cravings posted:

AFAIK cats don’t usually need regular baths as long as they can clean themselves.

Some do :imunfunny:

But yeah, normal cats shouldn't.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

Sancho just scratched out a clump of hair by his neck down to bare skin. It’s red and raw so I ran the flea comb on the other side and by the base of his tail. Came up with nothing. Poop was solid when I just scooped. Food hasn’t changed. Do any of y’all think it’s something to worry about? I’ve never seen a cat scratch himself and have fur flying off like that before.

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?
Just adopted two kittens tonight. Back in the cat game after 5 years. It's been a while so the info in the OP was helpful. Place we got them from recommended Nulo freestyle food. It's dry but the ingredients looked ok based on the food thread (turkey, Turkey meal, fish meal, deboned cod).

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Is one much tinier than the other, or is it just crouching real small? :3:

Any recommendations for brushes for a cat with fine medium length fur? It hates the furminator. Currently using the zoom groom, but I feel it could be doing a better job because he still sheds everywhere no matter how much brushing i do with it?

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?

Synthbuttrange posted:

Is one much tinier than the other, or is it just crouching real small? :3:

Crouching, they're almost identical in size.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty

So this was adorable the first dozen times they did it, but now it's getting annoying.

I had to shut them in the bathroom (with litter box and food/water) while I was working earlier, and now they are constantly walking all over the keyboard when I was trying to play ESO :saddowns:

I tried chasing them around/rasslin' them/wearing them out, but they then cried until I held them in a big ball of kitten whereupon they immediately fell asleep in my arms, which is also hard to get stuff done while doing.

I once again am encountering my own lack of knowledge on actually RAISING cats despite growing up with hordes of pets. Also my previous cat was waaaaaay calmer/more serene even as a kitten.

Bonus pic of my (sadly deceased) Shadow :(

Gorgar
Dec 2, 2012

Annath posted:

I tried chasing them around/rasslin' them/wearing them out, but they then cried until I held them in a big ball of kitten whereupon they immediately fell asleep in my arms, which is also hard to get stuff done while doing.

This sounds like the worst problem ever.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty

Gorgar posted:

This sounds like the worst problem ever.

:saddowns:

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

Give them a nice mat or piece of carpet or small shallow box on your desk next to you. There's a reasonable chance they will decide that's their spot, especially if you pet them and give them treats while they're there.

floofyscorp
Feb 12, 2007

Yeah, putting a shoebox on my desk with a nice cozy towel in it almost completely solved my rear end in a top hat-kitten issues. They went from chasing my World of Warcraft characters across the screen and batting madly at my monitors/mouse/tablet stylus to sitting in the box glaring disapprovingly at me instead.

Gorgar
Dec 2, 2012

So awful how do you cope

I keep a padded chair or bit of cat furniture by the desk, so there’s always a place to come get pets. Doesn’t really keep the animals off the desk now and then, which I discourage by relocating one of the wireless keyboards and petting them whenever one invades.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty
https://i.imgur.com/5Kgm6X6.gifv

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe
CUTE!!

teh winnar!
Apr 16, 2003

floofyscorp posted:

Yeah, putting a shoebox on my desk with a nice cozy towel in it almost completely solved my rear end in a top hat-kitten issues. They went from chasing my World of Warcraft characters across the screen and batting madly at my monitors/mouse/tablet stylus to sitting in the box glaring disapprovingly at me instead.

As Bast intended.

Annath posted:

CAT-LIKE TYPING DETECTED

Adorbz.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty
I give them a lovely box with a nice warm fuzzy blanket, and they can't even deign to sit INSIDE said box while they chew on it!

I actually picked Nyx up and put her in the box, pointing at the bit she was chewing on, and she promptly got out of the box and went right back to chewing on it.

Marchegiana
Jan 31, 2006

. . . Bitch.
Can confirm: are kittens.

Corsair Pool Boy
Dec 17, 2004
College Slice
In addition to cardboard, my kitten likes to chew metal - the hook on da bird, a street sign I havent hung up, the handle on the drawer under the oven, etc.

Anyone else familiar with this? I'd rather not have her break or otherwise damage her teeth, but she keeps going back to those things.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
I don't know if this is normal or something I should do something about, but I recently saw Princess biting at those long tufts of fur protruding from between her paw pads, and they looked shorter after, so I think she was deliberately tearing some of the fur out or "cutting" it down basically. This is the first I've seen or heard of something like this, so I don't know if it's normal or a problem (or both).

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty

Finally, peace.

Nur_Neerg
Sep 1, 2004

The Lumbering but Unstoppable Sasquatch of the Appalachians
I found kittens!

Mei on the left, Beau on the right. They're pointlessly cute at all times, even while being assholes!

More: https://www.instagram.com/mei_and_beau/

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

Those faces are adorable!

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?

Nur_Neerg posted:

I found kittens!

Mei on the left, Beau on the right. They're pointlessly cute at all times, even while being assholes!

More: https://www.instagram.com/mei_and_beau/

Awesome! My old cat looked just like Beau.

computer angel
Sep 9, 2008

Make it a double.
Maybe it's just my weird instagram algorithm, but have any of you ever seen those Korean/Japanese cat videos where the owner will literally tuck their pajama wearing cat into a little bed with a pillow and blanket and the cat kind of just....accepts it? What the hell is going on there. There isn't a reality where my cat would tolerate that for even a nanosecond.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Came home today to find rear end in a top hat throwing up liquidy puke. It looks a lot like when Bean was doing the same thing and it ended up just being constipation so I put some mineral oil and water down his face until he wouldn't let me anymore.

Fingers crossed it fixes the problem

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Tests came back from this weekend after this guy's bathroom adventures; no crystals, no UTI, nothing out of the ordinary except for a trace amount of blood in the urine.. Doc has no idea what happened or why he was having problems at the time but whatever it is has gone away and his bathroom habits are back to normal. Just gonna have to keep an eye on it and see if it happens again I guess :shrug:

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
Ugh, dammit. Now that Binx is fine, Crowley's gone and started squinting out of his left eye, and it's discharging clear stuff. My usual vet is closed and the only ones open are expensive animal hospitals.

Crowley tax:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gorgar
Dec 2, 2012

Protocol7 posted:

Ugh, dammit. Now that Binx is fine, Crowley's gone and started squinting out of his left eye, and it's discharging clear stuff. My usual vet is closed and the only ones open are expensive animal hospitals.

Crowley tax:

I see your problem. Kittums too cute. Please remit.