Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Olesh posted:

Technically a sufficient quantity of landmines will prevent damage to the walls, but then your robots need to replace those. Defenses are inherently ablative, but once you're at the point where you have artillery you don't really need to wall off an area anymore. It takes some effort to get a base defense supply train setup going, including designing your military outpost blueprint, but once you've got that it's an extremely efficient way to deny whole chunks of the map to biters. Want to expand a bit more to the south? Run a rail that direction (covered by your existing artillery defenses), plant the outpost blueprint, and then the military supply train will show up and get the party started.

From there, you now have another big chunk of map covered - any biters that expand into the area get cleared by your expanded artillery coverage, and it's very efficient in terms of defensive resources because the biters are being provoked to attack your fortified outpost, rather than covering every square tile of perimeter as you continue to expand. As you get more artillery coverage, you need fewer outposts / can cover a larger area with the same resources. Clearing out chunks of the map manually /leapfrogging artillery a few chunks at a time is a sucker's game - plop down a defensive outpost with artillery (and possibly with a station for an artillery wagon) wherever you want to expand and get back to designing your factory while your trains and robots do all of the grunt work for you.

Yeah, I thought I had a cool defense outpost base system doing just that.. until several expansion groups wandered into the un-walled area and started munching on power poles, rails, and robo-ports... Since they hadn't stopped to create a new base, the artillery didn't target them, and therefore they were not provoked to attack the defensive outposts, and instead just munched their way across the map until they got to their new expansion point.

I honestly had no idea that expansion groups would destroy everything they encountered like that, but it happened multiple times which is when I built the current walls and tore down the artillery outposts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

Freaksaus posted:

I wouldn't recommend using roundabouts unless you're doing something like Py. The throughput is terrible, but for this type of base where the total production is pretty low but there's just an insane amount of products it works fine and is much easier to build with than a normal T junction.

I'm not using LTN though, all of this is done with train limits and combinators.

I saw a design on Reddit that uses offset rectangles with T junctions, which looks really cool.

I'm using TSM, I like its approach better than LTN.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Solumin posted:

I'm using TSM, I like its approach better than LTN.

Same. If I use a mod at all for my trains it's TSM. The time between a request generation and the train pulling into the station is much shorter which means you need fewer trains allowed in order to keep high volume stations full with an unloading train.

Tiny Bug Child
Sep 11, 2004

Avoid Symmetry, Allow Complexity, Introduce Terror
Has anyone tried Cybersyn? Someone on reddit was touting it as a "modern LTN". It has native support for Space Exploration space elevators, but what really caught my eye was being able to set per-item thresholds. With LTN I usually end up just building separate stations for stuff I want 20k of and stuff I want 100 of.

Freaksaus
Jun 13, 2007

Grimey Drawer

The Locator posted:

That's cool. Also.. I'm not sure if you are really persistent/stubborn or just crazy. Lol... Py broke me pretty early and I noped out.

A bit of both honestly. I got pretty deep into Py before when Alien Life was the hot new thing, had to stop because of stuff going on in my life and never really got back to it until I heard about the new Alternative Energy mod.

I started this run a little bit after AE got out into public beta and while there's certainly a ton of frustrating moments I am still really, really into it. One way I keep myself going is by streaming almost all of it on a set schedule, this way I always get some form of progress each week. Although some days all I'm doing is putting out fires, and there's a looooot of fires in a Py base let me tell you.

I specifically wanted to avoid TSM and LTN because I hadn't really tried out the train limiting system just yet and wanted to find out how well it would hold up in a base like this. The biggest problem (which I eventually ended up installing a mod for) was the refueling. I used to have a refuel stop added in each train schedule as I didn't want to add a station with fuel to each of my rail blocks. I made these massive refueling places, but that just meant that every single train (and there's about 200 in my current save) would go there after a single roundtrip. Meaning I would need more trains, more fuel stations and still end up with massive throughput issues around the refueling areas themselves.

Now I just use a mod that makes a train go to the mod specific stations once it's fuel gets below a configurable value. Very easy and now there's basically no traffic going to the refuel stops at all.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Freaksaus posted:

A bit of both honestly. I got pretty deep into Py before when Alien Life was the hot new thing, had to stop because of stuff going on in my life and never really got back to it until I heard about the new Alternative Energy mod.

I started this run a little bit after AE got out into public beta and while there's certainly a ton of frustrating moments I am still really, really into it. One way I keep myself going is by streaming almost all of it on a set schedule, this way I always get some form of progress each week. Although some days all I'm doing is putting out fires, and there's a looooot of fires in a Py base let me tell you.

I specifically wanted to avoid TSM and LTN because I hadn't really tried out the train limiting system just yet and wanted to find out how well it would hold up in a base like this. The biggest problem (which I eventually ended up installing a mod for) was the refueling. I used to have a refuel stop added in each train schedule as I didn't want to add a station with fuel to each of my rail blocks. I made these massive refueling places, but that just meant that every single train (and there's about 200 in my current save) would go there after a single roundtrip. Meaning I would need more trains, more fuel stations and still end up with massive throughput issues around the refueling areas themselves.

Now I just use a mod that makes a train go to the mod specific stations once it's fuel gets below a configurable value. Very easy and now there's basically no traffic going to the refuel stops at all.

Just FYI, if you have TSM installed, and create an appropriately named refueling station, the trains will automatically refuel at that station even if you don't set up anything else at all to use TSM. And like the mod you are using, the fuel threshold can be defined, but I've never messed with the default as it seems to work fine.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

Vizuyos posted:

Ultimately, sushi belts with more than two item types are a very niche solution with a lot of problems.

They clog up or get unbalanced easily, so you need to use circuits to make sure it doesn't get too clogged up. And there's no way to directly count how many items are on the sushi belt, so you need to wire up all the inserters to combinators to count each and every time an item enters or leaves the belt, and do some math to determine when it's safe to add more of any particular item.

And most of all, they've got poor capacity. You're dividing one belt's throughput among a bunch of different items, and you can't even max out the throughput if you're just adding and removing poo poo from the belt whereever. For me, they're not really worth the trouble. Maybe if I was running a mod where belts were really expensive and I was incentivized to place as few of them as possible, I guess?

There are a couple fallacies here and sushi belts aren't quite as bad as all that.

First, there actually is a pretty easy way to see & configure how many items are on a sushi belt, at least for practical purposes: Wire a sequence of adjacent belt tiles together with read contents & hold. Then wire directly to the inserters that feed the belt. Activate if (Count of item) < (Desired count of item per # of wired belts), making sure to adjust inserter stack size reasonably. So for like 6 items on the sushi belt you measure six tiles and add if the count is less than 8 total.

Where they shine is if you have a wide variety of individually low throughput intermediates, like angelbobs pure sortation or something.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Step one towards actual mega-base construction complete. Let there be modules!

Keeps over 500 logistics bots running full time. There is a small dedicated oil-facility just to the right providing 900'ish petro per second to fuel the plastic and sulphuric acid (only need about 700).

Phssthpok
Nov 7, 2004

fingers like strings of walnuts
80 hours into Industrial Revolution 3.

I designed a new chunk-aligned rail grid system with 2-lane and 4-lane variants. Power lines follow chunk lines, and there is room for paved walking/driving roads between train tracks. (This is similar to published grid blueprints, except that it avoids power lines in roads.) Most mass production is done in 3x3 city blocks.

The wide variety of intermediate products is difficult to transport by train. I mostly ship ingots and make things like gears at each site. Most construction material is still produced at the starter base, which requires manual delivery of some higher-tech materials. For example, the advanced assemblers made here require blue inserters from a city block. The red belt production here should continue as long as rubber production doesn't stop due to too little ethanol consumption due to too much demand for sulfuric acid:

My main power plant is set to prioritize solar > accumulators > geothermal steam > natural gas, but maybe I should have a separate bank of petrochemical generators just for burning excess ethanol. It's confusing to mix power switching logic based on amount of fluid storage with logic based on accumulator level.

I try to avoid venting any gasses, or producing any unnecessary pollution, but I really need to unlock nanoglass to build advanced forestries so that I can convert carbon dioxide into oxygen.

Suran37
Feb 28, 2009
I have a signal transmitter sending requested materials from my space base back down to a reciever on Nauvis. The reciever is hooked up to a requester chest and sets the requests from the circuit signals. My issue is that if I request say 5k copper the chest only requests 1 at a time until I get to 5k loaded into the cargo rocket, since it requests 1 at a time only 1 logi bot slowly fills the chest/rocket. Is there a way to wire it up to request the full amount (minus whatever is in the rocket already)?

syense
Oct 13, 2018

people who play large jenga at bars have nothing of interest in their lives.
I haven’t faced that but I was told and believe you should always send a negative signal then invert it to prevent power loss related over-requests. Could you share an image of the circuit network set up on both ends?

Darox
Nov 10, 2012

Suran37 posted:

I have a signal transmitter sending requested materials from my space base back down to a reciever on Nauvis. The reciever is hooked up to a requester chest and sets the requests from the circuit signals. My issue is that if I request say 5k copper the chest only requests 1 at a time until I get to 5k loaded into the cargo rocket, since it requests 1 at a time only 1 logi bot slowly fills the chest/rocket. Is there a way to wire it up to request the full amount (minus whatever is in the rocket already)?

That sounds like you have a decider combinator somewhere in the system that is set to output a fixed signal of 1 instead of a signal equal to the input.

Suran37
Feb 28, 2009

Darox posted:

That sounds like you have a decider combinator somewhere in the system that is set to output a fixed signal of 1 instead of a signal equal to the input.

Ahh, thanks that was the issue!

Voxx
Jul 28, 2009

I'll give 'em a hold
and a break to breathe
And if they can't play nice
I won't play with 'em at all

Phssthpok posted:

I try to avoid venting any gasses, or producing any unnecessary pollution, but I really need to unlock nanoglass to build advanced forestries so that I can convert carbon dioxide into oxygen.

just ended my run with this, spent too much time with it

i ended up venting a poo poo ton of co2 because of sulfuric acid requirements before advanced forestries could even be researched let alone made. tried storing in tanks but then later realized hydrogen (and fertilizer) requirements would have given me yet even more co2 and the tank bandaid wasn't going to cut it.

didn't like how fluids were handled in this. there's a number of things that feel like weird busy work for byproducts that are just requirements for things way later down the line or just useless, and not really engaging. looking at you, helium and nitrogen.

ore washing was fine but the alt recipes with acid wash seemed absolutely useless except for a bit of lead from tin I had rigged up to run if my tin wasn't being used up.

almost everything was limited by sulfuric acid and that was even with 3 sour vents I managed to find within reasonable distance

some things felt like weak additions like the cubic press, ruby being used to make one thing and being tied to iron washing was weird

the tech additions and toys unique to the mod felt annoying to make and took the subcomponent setups too far

it's a decent mod but I just felt way more pressure to do ratio balancing to keep things running at all, but for little reward for the effort. I get why he made the bottomless pit as an option for the mod lol

edit: oh but i did love the small assemblers those ruled

Voxx fucked around with this message at 08:29 on Jan 31, 2023

Phssthpok
Nov 7, 2004

Voxx posted:

i ended up venting a poo poo ton of co2 because of sulfuric acid requirements before advanced forestries could even be researched let alone made. tried storing in tanks but then later realized hydrogen (and fertilizer) requirements would have given me yet even more co2 and the tank bandaid wasn't going to cut it.

didn't like how fluids were handled in this. there's a number of things that feel like weird busy work for byproducts that are just requirements for things way later down the line or just useless, and not really engaging. looking at you, helium and nitrogen.

yeah, automating fertilizer wiped out my interest in actually using it. i ended up placing gas vents directly on anything that produces carbon dioxide or nitrogen gas.

Voxx posted:

edit: oh but i did love the small assemblers those ruled

this combined with the large number of intermediate parts meant a lot of instances of (ship ingots in) -> (pattern of 3 small assemblers + 1 full-size assembler) -> (part you actually need), but i never bothered to blueprint any of these patterns

diremonk
Jun 17, 2008

I'm doing a Bob's/angels run right now and it seems like I'm barely making any dent into progressing. I just started producing logistic science packs and I'm still fighting to keep stocks of iron and steel plates up. I was using silicon to bulk out the recipes but the ended up running out of that. So then had to start using catalysts to create extra but the that eats into other chains.

It feeling like I'm spinning plates and trying to keep any from dropping. The amount of side products is just crazy. From my krastorio runs, I'm used to having a surplus of basic mats, but that doesn't seem to be the case with bobs/angels. Kind of glad I didn't try and do a py/bobs/angel run this time.

Sylink
Apr 17, 2004

Later in the game how do you deal with walking all the time? I'm about to restart in sandbox just for the rts view because walking back and forth to do things on a large base is getting annoying.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Sylink posted:

Later in the game how do you deal with walking all the time? I'm about to restart in sandbox just for the rts view because walking back and forth to do things on a large base is getting annoying.

Cars and riding trains around.

Freaksaus
Jun 13, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Sylink posted:

Always have a locomotive on you and go to a station or set a temporary one.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
I usually build shuttle stops all over the place and have a personal train

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
I owe my brother big time for this!

Sylink posted:

Lots of exoskeletons for running around relatively short distances. Train or car to go further.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Souderton, baby

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

And don't forget a handful of concrete plants and a few hundred bots doing nothing but laying concrete.

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

You can fit 5 or 6 exoskeletons and a fusion reactor into the highest tier chassis

Vizuyos
Jun 17, 2020

Thank U for reading

If you hated it...
FUCK U and never come back

Sylink posted:

I keep a dedicated train for my personal use, loaded with extra supplies and a modded wagon that can hold a vehicle, and ride it around to unused stops.

Particularly dense areas get carpeted with concrete, and I use Factorissimo factories for much of my production so I can biuld the assembly lines in my main production area and then carry them to their final destinations.

Place well-supplied roboports and radars near areas you expect to be doing a lot of building in. You can build ghosts remotely via the map as long as a radar or something is providing vision there, and the construction bots can do the rest.

And of course, identify whatever's making you run back and forth, and automate it more so you have to run back and forth less.

Andohz
Aug 15, 2004

World's Strongest Smelly Hobo
Jetpack or train. Tbf my things are usually so separated that if I'm doing something I'm staying in that general area because I'm there to build a black box of something and once I'm done I don't need to go back until something fails.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

https://mods.factorio.com/mod/Factorissimo2

Is great too, lets you put entire factory chunks into smaller buildings so you can condense your base far more and spend less time traveling between sections.

AG3
Feb 4, 2004

Ask me about spending hundreds of dollars on Mass Effect 2 emoticons and Avatars.

Oven Wrangler
I have mixed feelings about Factorissimo. Hiding away so many of the moving parts of your base inside a building makes your base much less interesting to look at, there's just not that satisfaction of zooming out and seeing all the assemblers and furnaces churning along producing everything your base needs. That is a big draw with playing the game.

On the flip side, I love how painless it makes expanding your production and smelting since all you need to do is find enough space for a small storage building, slam down a blueprint inside and hook up the building with input and output belts. I also really enjoy the puzzle of trying to make use of as much of the space inside the small factory as possible, redesigning and rearranging everything until I have a compact and (hopefully) nice looking mini-factory that can be easily duplicated even in cramped base conditions.

Then again, something is lost when the factory isn't sprawling everywhere as far as the eye can see.

Factorissimo is definitely one of those mods where either you love it and can't imagine playing without it, or you hate it because it's anathema to covering as much of the planet in factory as possible. Then again I'm a little in both camps.

*Edit*
Gah, I just noticed those unused underground pipes in the coal liquification plant. Now my evening is ruined.

AG3 fucked around with this message at 23:56 on Feb 3, 2023

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Sylink posted:

I use primarily a personal train combined with lots of exoskeletons in Power Armor 3 (it's a mod that adds more tiers of power armor so you can cram more exoskeletons in to go zoom-zoom faster).

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Sylink posted:

The Helicopter mod. Plus it's fun to strafe attacking aliens with my Hind gunship.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?
I grabbed a mod that supercharged the dumb bots so they could just fly straight across the base outline and honestly couldn't imagine building a megabase without that.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

Four or five years ago, I accidentally let off a nuclear rocket in the middle of the base in a goon multiplayer game, destroying the entire nested-Factorissimo robot production capacity without any blueprints having been saved anywhere. I was and am still so psychically scarred by that shame that not only will I not use Factorissimo, I've also never again done multiplayer Factorio.

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!

LonsomeSon posted:

Four or five years ago, I accidentally let off a nuclear rocket in the middle of the base in a goon multiplayer game, destroying the entire nested-Factorissimo robot production capacity without any blueprints having been saved anywhere. I was and am still so psychically scarred by that shame that not only will I not use Factorissimo, I've also never again done multiplayer Factorio.

Sic semper Factorissimo factories.

XkyRauh
Feb 15, 2005

Commander Keen is my hero.

LonsomeSon posted:

Absolutely no sarcasm: Goondolences, friend. That is a deep shame, and it must have been difficult to share it. I hope you eventually recover and heal... that's awful.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
I enjoyed factorisimo until it slowed building everything down due to needing to place and run over to build every time. Without factorisimo you can just do things from the global radar.

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

just keep swimming
I've heard about this game for years but never tried it out. Anyone have a spare steam key :cool:?

Phssthpok
Nov 7, 2004

I built a big coal liquefaction plant in Industrial Revolution 3. Now I should finally have enough sulfuric acid (as long as I can sink the Natural Gas).

I just researched Power Armor 2 for my first yellow-tier science, and I'm weighing the options for the next one:
  • Hydrogen fuel cells (to sink hydrogen (from natural gas)) (and a step toward vehicle upgrades)
  • Arc Furnace (to sink oxygen (to unblock liquid nitrogen))
  • Logistic System

LtSmash
Dec 18, 2005

Will we next create false gods to rule over us? How proud we have become, and how blind.

-Sister Miriam Godwinson,
"We Must Dissent"

goodness posted:

I've heard about this game for years but never tried it out. Anyone have a spare steam key :cool:?

There's a demo

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

just keep swimming

LtSmash posted:

There's a demo

Did not know that, thanks!

e: Made my first setups for red and green research things. I did red and thought, "That was simple", then I saw green had 2 intermediate parts :monocle:

goodness fucked around with this message at 00:32 on Feb 6, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
I messed up and accidentally deleted all my blueprints when I was trying to copy over to my new computer. They might still be on a third computer, I just haven't been bothered to pull it out and check.

Also I love seeing new players' builds. I've played maybe 20 games, launched thousands of rockets, and I'll never get back that experience of playing for the first time, not knowing what's going on, and just sort of fumbling through it, building yourself into corners, and building yourself out, learning everything as you go.