Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.

DeadlyMuffin posted:

"Skip the Israeli crossings entirely and come in via the coast" seems like it might do the trick. We'll see though.
Biden could tell Israel to allow the land crossings anytime they want. Israel is also perfectly capable of restricting shipments from the pier, in ways that will give a fig leaf of deniability to both Biden and Israel.

Nothing about sea vs land changes anything. It’s just a distraction.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeadlyMuffin
Jul 3, 2007

cat botherer posted:

Biden could tell Israel to allow the land crossings anytime they want. Israel is also perfectly capable of restricting shipments from the pier, in ways that will give a fig leaf of deniability to both Biden and Israel.

I don't think Biden has direct control over what Israel does with the land crossings.

But, as I said, we'll see. If aid does start coming through the pier in close to the expected amounts, we'll know if you were right.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

DeadlyMuffin posted:

I don't think Biden has direct control over what Israel does with the land crossings.

But, as I said, we'll see. If aid does start coming through the pier in close to the expected amounts, we'll know if you were right.

he absolutely has the necessary leverage to enforce indirect control so it's a moot point

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

https://www.nytimes.com/2024/05/16/world/middleeast/us-military-gaza-aid-pier.html?smid=nytcore-ios-share&referringSource=articleShare

“There’s is fuel for those drivers as well” so that is dealt with at least.Looks like they’ll be supplying fuel for the distribution trucks. Looks like the first two days are going to be test runs.

Your Brain on Hugs
Aug 20, 2006
I like that Gallant is implicitly saying that they're not going to be able to defeat Hamas, but also that they're going to be able to somehow install a comprador Palestinian government without defeating Hamas? The political contradictions for netanyahu are only going to ramp up from here, as Israel has to start contending with the reality that this war is a massive failure for them.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Bar Ran Dun posted:

You misunderstand, it’s the worst solution. It’s the riskiest, most dangerous, most expensive response. It puts the most American lives in danger and carries the highest potential political risk of all the other choices. It’s slow, it’s seasonal, it pleases nobody.

It’s the “no other option was considered viable” choice.

Is it that no other option was considered viable, or could it be that Biden just supports what Israel is doing but wishes they were a little gentler about it and allowed some aid in (or, more cynically, wants positive PR for appearing to wish that).

Civilized Fishbot posted:

Yes, Zionism up to the establishment of Israel was in its origin and in operation a European (and American) movement. Its goals were Eurocentric. It succeeded in accomplishing them.

Right but just because the people in charge at the beginning were Euro-supremacist colonialists doesn't mean that everyone in Israel agrees that's what Zionism should mean. Even the original Zionists didn't all think that, just as the original founding fathers didn't all think black people should be slaves. Different people believe different things, if your average black Israeli Zionist believes Zionism is inherently European supremacist and thinks success is when they are a second class citizen, that would be nuts.

Did the European and Americans zionists succeed in creating a Jewish and white supremacist state, sure. Did they succeed in creating a state where white-enough Jews are safe, ehhh I mean October 7th happened so clearly that goal is as yet incomplete. Did they create a state where all Jews are free from discrimination, as at least some Jewish Zionists want, obviously not.

If your argument is that Zionism, as a colonialist eliminationist ideology, is inherently racist and fundamentally incompatible with the liberation of all Jews, you may be right, but then I think the disagreement between you and others is semantic. They're describing that incompatibility as a failure of Zionism, whereas you're defining it as a success of the racist part of the ideology. Either way we come to the same conclusion: non-Ashkenazi Jews shouldn't support it because it either failed or never was what they hoped in the first place.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!

DeadlyMuffin posted:

"I will stop sending you weapons and money and stop paying Egypt and Jordan to lick your boots if you don't open the crossing and stop bombing aid trucks"

Nail Rat fucked around with this message at 03:50 on May 17, 2024

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

punishedkissinger posted:

he absolutely has the necessary leverage to enforce indirect control so it's a moot point

The obsession with defining power exclusively as the direct legal authority to order something is so bizarre to me.

Ronald Reagan didn't have the direct authority to stop Israel from bombing Lebanon, but he had the influence to accomplish that anyway.

Netanyahu doesn't have the direct executive authority to order Palestinians to go anywhere yet somehow he influenced them to evacuate parts of Gaza.

George W Bush was not the president of the UK or Poland or Australia etc and could not order their armed forces to deploy to Iraq but he had a ton of soft power and he used that to get them to do what he wanted.

Vladimir Putin has no legal authority to govern cities located within the internationally recognized territory of other countries yet somehow he is doing that in Sevastopol!

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

VitalSigns posted:

Is it that no other option was considered viable, or could it be that Biden just supports what Israel is doing but wishes they were a little gentler about it and allowed some aid in (or, more cynically, wants positive PR for appearing to wish that).

There are much less risky ways to give the appearance doing that. Like more air drops. Ineffective and flashy airdrops.

Look at it this way, this is slow, it’s boring to most people, it’s not effective for PR, it’s complicated to explain, it’s weather dependent. Think about what happens to his popularity if something happens to it or one of the ships.

But what it is is high volume, ships move a lot of poo poo.

A cynic looking only to appearances would choose something with better appearances and less direct risk. It’s a terrible choice looking at it that way.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

Why would you feed people being clearly genocided by people you are supplying the bombs to

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Bar Ran Dun posted:

There are much less risky ways to give the appearance doing that. Like more air drops. Ineffective and flashy airdrops.

Look at it this way, this is slow, it’s boring to most people, it’s not effective for PR, it’s complicated to explain, it’s weather dependent. Think about what happens to his popularity if something happens to it or one of the ships.

But what it is is high volume, ships move a lot of poo poo.

A cynic looking only to appearances would choose something with better appearances and less direct risk. It’s a terrible choice looking at it that way.

Right but if they're doing it because it's high volume, and therefore will be very effective if successful, then it would also be good for PR because he can say "well look at these huge volumes". Or, less cynically, if Biden genuinely wants it to work (because he agrees and supports what Israel is doing but only wishes they were a bit nicer to civilians), then the high volume makes it a good choice for that. There are multiple possible explanations, Biden being unable to rein in Israel instead of simply unwilling, is not the only possibility.

It seems like you're just starting from the assumption that Biden is doing everything he can to stop the genocide, and working backwards from there to conclude the pier must be the only thing he can do, because he's doing that and not something else like cutting off the money and weapons.

DeadlyMuffin
Jul 3, 2007

punishedkissinger posted:

Sure, but he's choosing to build a pier rather than force Israel to allow more aid through the land borders.

If aid gets through the pier, it shows that the cost to build the pier was less than the cost to force Israel to allow aid in by land, in his calculation.

VitalSigns posted:

It seems like you're just starting from the assumption that Biden is doing everything he can to stop the genocide, and working backwards from there to conclude the pier must be the only thing he can do, because he's doing that and not something else like cutting off the money and weapons.

It's funny you say that, because a lot of the criticism of bringing in aid via the pier seems to start with the assumption that Biden is doing everything he can to encourage the genocide, therefore the pier must be some sort of fakeout.

DeadlyMuffin fucked around with this message at 04:17 on May 17, 2024

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

I mean if you think Biden isn't pro-genocide I don't know what to tell you.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

DeadlyMuffin posted:

It's funny you say that, because a lot of the criticism of bringing in aid via the pier seems to start with the assumption that Biden is doing everything he can to encourage the genocide, therefore the pier must be some sort of fakeout.

Yes, correct, that is my point exactly. People are interpreting Biden's actions according to the assumptions they already hold about his motivations.

E:

DeadlyMuffin posted:

If aid gets through the pier, it shows that the cost to build the pier was less than the cost to force Israel to allow aid in by land, in his calculation.

No, it does not show this.

Or at least "cost" is doing a lot of work here. If cost just refers to money, it does not prove that. If "cost" also includes intangibles like "Biden is reluctant to hurt Israeli-US relations by trying to force Israel" then it's true but trivially so: he's doing what he's doing because that's what he wants to do. It doesn't say much on its own.

VitalSigns fucked around with this message at 04:31 on May 17, 2024

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

I think we should interpret his actions by what happens. I think we should interpret the Israeli’s actions by what happens.

We are watching the events and will be seeing what happens in a couple of days.

There’s that idea I brought up earlier, POSIWID. What the system will do, and the pier is a system, will be shortly be clearly apparent. But it’s not the only system, we need to watch the other systems reactions to what it does it too.

Bar Ran Dun fucked around with this message at 04:49 on May 17, 2024

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Argas posted:

I mean if you think Biden isn't pro-genocide I don't know what to tell you.

I mean, there's definitely enough evidence to conclude he's fine with appalling amounts of collateral damage that are, frankly, genocidal. Because I haven't seen a good explanation for why he physically can't threaten to cut off aid to stop it like Ronald Reagan did.

I don't think we can conclude either way whether the pier is a sham. It would be perfectly consistent for him to be fine with genocidal levels of bombing to get Hamas, but wish the survivors had a little more food because that doesn't interfere with getting Hamas. Much like there were good Germans who were fine with deporting Jews to the East to protect the reich, but thought they should be treated a little nicer and sent to humane labor colonies.

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006

Bar Ran Dun posted:

I think we should interpret his actions by what happens. I think we should interpret the Israeli’s actions by what happens.

We don't need to interpret or read tea leaves. We've seen 8 months of his support, assistance, and participation in genocide. We don't start by seeing what happens now. There are already tens of thousands of body that he's been comfortable with.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

VitalSigns posted:

I mean, there's definitely enough evidence to conclude he's fine with appalling amounts of collateral damage that are, frankly, genocidal. Because I haven't seen a good explanation for why he physically can't threaten to cut off aid to stop it like Ronald Reagan did.

I don't think we can conclude either way whether the pier is a sham. It would be perfectly consistent for him to be fine with genocidal levels of bombing to get Hamas, but wish the survivors had a little more food because that doesn't interfere with getting Hamas. Much like there were good Germans who were fine with deporting Jews to the East to protect the reich, but thought they should be treated a little nicer and sent to humane labor colonies.

It's a sham because he's not really interested in preventing the famine. He just felt the whole thing made him look bad, so here's a thing! See, he's helping. That's how you get people to vote for you.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

hadji murad posted:

There are already tens of thousands of body that he's been comfortable with.

There were two million people in Gaza in 2022. I think the Netanyahu led right wing government is willing to kill, starve or displace all of them. I think they’re willing to do even if we cut all ties with and end all support for them completely.

That was my first post on the subject actually in USCE. Two months ago when he announced the pier deployment. I asserted that announcement means that they (our government) thinks that the Israeli government is willing starve and kill the entirety of the population in Gaza.

The pier is an extreme and risky action. It is a beach head. What does that communicate to a Zionist ideology?

Where things are right now is very very bad. You are absolutely correct, they’ve killed tens of thousands of Palestinians. It could all get much much worse.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

Nail Rat posted:

Why would you feed people being clearly genocided by people you are supplying the bombs to

to prevent a repeat of this
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2018/mar/20/yemen-war-us-saudi-senate-support

the famine was so unpopular that it got in the way of supplying more bombs

Anyways it will be very clear very soon just how earnest of an effort this all is. Practically I expect it to be fairly earnest if only because providing humanitarian relief achieves goals for pretty much every part of the US govt. It looks good politically and fulfills a commitment biden made, it appeases a bunch of state dept people who have been making a lot of noise, for the cynical pro-Israel hawks it reduces the risk of a repeat of the senate pulling support for KSA over the Yemen famine, and it gets ahead of what will inevitably be a popular line of attack from trump in the fall. I don't think the US cares to really restrain Israel, but I also don't think anyone is looking to have political or legal responsibility for Israel very publicly starving 2 million people to death on their hands.

who knows though, we'll see soon enough

Herstory Begins Now fucked around with this message at 07:51 on May 17, 2024

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

Bar Ran Dun posted:

There were two million people in Gaza in 2022. I think the Netanyahu led right wing government is willing to kill, starve or displace all of them. I think they’re willing to do even if we cut all ties with and end all support for them completely.

By their own admission, Israel is dependent upon the aid from the US.

They'd run out of bombs without our aid. And then, since they're only abour 55% of the people in Israel + Palestinian territories, they'd be in a very bad place.

Your Brain on Hugs
Aug 20, 2006
You could build a thousand piers and it wouldn't make up for even a fraction of the US and Biden's complicity in this. Most of the rest of the world will never forgive either Israel or the US for this, no matter what Biden supporters have to tell themselves. All the excuses and equivocation mean nothing to people who aren't in that sphere.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Argas posted:

It's a sham because he's not really interested in preventing the famine. He just felt the whole thing made him look bad, so here's a thing! See, he's helping. That's how you get people to vote for you.

Probably, but I don't get the point of quibbling about his intentions with the pier, because it doesn't erase his monstrous actions.

E: although I suppose its effect on liberals, of helping them to rationalize his enthusiastic participation in this horrorshow because of his supposed good intentions, does demonstrate that the pier has PR value after all.

Bar Ran Dun posted:

Ok and if Biden did cut them off, and Israel got just as many bombs from I don't know, magic, and did the genocide anyway, then Biden wouldn't be complicit.

The Nazis were determined to do the Holocaust with or without IBM's computers, that doesn't mean IBM is in the clear for helping.

VitalSigns fucked around with this message at 09:42 on May 17, 2024

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Oh, would you look at that, the Independent just did a major investigative report on how the Biden administration facilitated Israel's genocide in Gaza and stonewalled attempts to prevent it.

quote:

President Joe Biden and his administration have been accused of being complicit in enabling a famine in Gaza by failing to sufficiently act on repeated warnings from their own experts and aid agencies.

Interviews with current and former US Agency for International Development (USAID) and State Department officials, aid agencies working in Gaza and internal USAID documents reveal that the administration rejected or ignored pleas to use its leverage to persuade its ally Israel – the recipient of billions of dollars of US military support – to allow sufficient humanitarian aid into Gaza to stop the famine taking hold.

The former officials say the US also provided diplomatic cover for Israel to create the conditions for famine by blocking international efforts to bring about a ceasefire or alleviate the crisis, making the delivery of aid almost impossible.

“This is not just turning a blind eye to the man-made starvation of an entire population, it is direct complicity,” former State Department official Josh Paul, who resigned over US support for the war, told The Independent.

Israel has vehemently denied that there is a hunger crisis in Gaza, or that it has restricted aid. It says fighting with Hamas, the militant group that triggered the current war when it killed 1,200 people and took over 250 hostages in Israel on 7 October, has hampered aid efforts.

As of the start of April at least 32 people, 28 of whom were children, have died of malnutrition and dehydration in Gaza, according to Human Rights Watch. The deaths of those children, and the likely many more to come, might have been prevented if president Biden had reacted more forcefully to concerns shared publicly and privately.

From the time of the first warning signs in December, intensive US pressure on Israel to open more land crossings and flood Gaza with aid could have stopped the crisis taking hold, the officials said. But Mr Biden refused to make US military aid to Israel conditional.

Instead, the Biden government pursued novel and ineffective aid solutions such as airdrops and a floating pier. Now, some 300,000 people in Gaza’s north are experiencing a “full-blown” famine, according to the World Food Programme, and the entire 2.3 million population of Gaza is experiencing catastrophic levels of hunger.

The level of dissent within the US government agency responsible for administering civilian foreign aid and combating global hunger has been unprecedented.

At least 19 internal dissent memos have been sent since the start of the war by staff at USAID criticising US support for the war in Gaza.

In an internal collective dissent memo drafted this month by numerous employees of USAID, the staff assail the agency and the Biden administration for its “failure to uphold international humanitarian principles and to adhere to its mandate to save lives”.

The leaked draft memo, seen by The Independent, calls for the administration to apply pressure to bring “an end to the Israeli siege that is causing famine”.

Not acting upon repeated warnings like these was a political choice.

“The US has provided both the military and the diplomatic support that enabled famine to emerge in Gaza,” Jeremy Konyndyk, a former high-ranking USAID official under both Barack Obama and Joe Biden who worked on famine prevention in Yemen and South Sudan, told The Independent.

This investigation chronicles the Biden administration’s repeated failures to act forcefully in response to months of warnings of a looming famine. Those failures continue to this day.

TLM3101
Sep 8, 2010

So, about the pier...

Turns out, Israel has found a way to use it to sever the Gaza strip in two:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/2024/05/17/gaza-israel-netzarim-corridor-war-hamas/

quote:

Israeli troops are fortifying a strategic corridor that carves Gaza in two, building bases, taking over civilian structures and razing homes, according to satellite imagery and other visual evidence — an effort that military analysts and Israeli experts say is part of a large-scale project to reshape the Strip and entrench the Israeli military presence there.

The Netzarim Corridor is a four-mile-long road just south of Gaza City that runs from east to west, stretching from the Israeli border to the Mediterranean Sea. Hamas has made Israel’s withdrawal from the area a central demand in cease-fire negotiations.

But even as talks have continued over the past two months, Israeli forces have been digging in. Three forward operating bases have been established in the corridor since March, satellite imagery examined by The Washington Post shows, providing clues about Israel’s plans. At the sea, the road meets a new, seven-acre unloading point for a floating pier, an American project to bring more aid into Gaza.

[...]

The forward operating base on al-Rashid Road sits next to a jetty constructed in mid-March to receive aid for distribution by the World Central Kitchen charity. The U.S. floating pier is expected to be in the same area, with IDF troops providing security for shipments by sea.

“Welcome to Netzarim Base,” reads the blue graffiti on the concrete barriers outside, according to a photo geolocated by The Post and posted on X by an Israeli journalist who said it was spray painted by his brother. At night, bright white flood lights are visible for miles around.

“It is the only place in Gaza that is lit,” said one 29-year-old woman who lives just south of the base, speaking by phone on the condition of anonymity out of fear for her safety. “They usually go to an area and leave afterward,” she said of Israeli troops, adding that in Netzarim they look set to stay.

The fact that the pier lands at the end of the Israeli-military controlled corridor “suggests the IDF wants to be to control the flow of aid,” said Michael Horowitz, head of intelligence at Le Beck International. The corridor also links up with “Gate 96,” a new access point on Israel’s border with central Gaza that has recently been opened for aid trucks, according to the military official.

“You’re waiting for three to four hours, you can be sent back, you can be arrested,” Mohammed Abu Mughaisib, deputy medical coordinator for Doctors Without Borders, said of aid trucks trying to traverse the corridor.

(my bolding)

Israel have also been building forward military outposts, check-points, holding-areas and bases across the only two major north-south roads of the Strip. They're there to stay forever. Well done, Biden.

Your Brain on Hugs
Aug 20, 2006
The thing is Gallant and the IDF really don't want to stay forever, an occupation and counter insurgency in Gaza is going to be hell for IDF soldiers. Gallant wants a comprador Palestinian government to be in control, but netanyahu needs to drag this out as long as possible because his coalition depends on insane people like Ben-Gvir who want Jewish settlement of Gaza.

They simply don't have the capability to take out Hamas, or to get back the hostages without a deal on Hamas' terms, and after rafah that's going to become increasingly clear. I'm not sure how those contradictions are going to work themselves out on the Israeli side, but it's not going to be pretty.

Regarding the US, at this point anyone who denies their complicity is being wilfully blind and there's probably no getting through to them. Anyone who actually cares about Gaza at this point is supporting Hamas, Hezbollah and Ansarallah, and praying for the eventual destruction of the genocidal regimes of Israel and the US.

Jethro
Jun 1, 2000

I was raised on the dairy, Bitch!
I think one part of the issue is that I don't know if there's any amount of pressure that could get Netanyahu to stop, because the minute he stops he gets removed.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

TLM3101 posted:

So, about the pier...

Turns out, Israel has found a way to use it to sever the Gaza strip in two:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/2024/05/17/gaza-israel-netzarim-corridor-war-hamas/

(my bolding)

Israel have also been building forward military outposts, check-points, holding-areas and bases across the only two major north-south roads of the Strip. They're there to stay forever. Well done, Biden.

When satellite images were shared showing the buildings Israel demolished to set up infrastructure that can support the pier, someone here suggested that they would use it as the basis for a port to service their own settlements in Gaza. I thought that was likely then, and this practically sounds like confirmation of that suspicion.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Jethro posted:

I think one part of the issue is that I don't know if there's any amount of pressure that could get Netanyahu to stop, because the minute he stops he gets removed.

This all seems a bit 'we've tried nothing and we're all out of ideas', though. Like, have they actually tested what pressure they can bring to bear on him?

America can make (and sometimes has made) a head of state aware that there are far worse things in the world than losing their job.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Your Brain on Hugs posted:

The thing is Gallant and the IDF really don't want to stay forever, an occupation and counter insurgency in Gaza is going to be hell for IDF soldiers. Gallant wants a comprador Palestinian government to be in control, but netanyahu needs to drag this out as long as possible because his coalition depends on insane people like Ben-Gvir who want Jewish settlement of Gaza.

They simply don't have the capability to take out Hamas, or to get back the hostages without a deal on Hamas' terms, and after rafah that's going to become increasingly clear. I'm not sure how those contradictions are going to work themselves out on the Israeli side, but it's not going to be pretty.

Regarding the US, at this point anyone who denies their complicity is being wilfully blind and there's probably no getting through to them. Anyone who actually cares about Gaza at this point is supporting Hamas, Hezbollah and Ansarallah, and praying for the eventual destruction of the genocidal regimes of Israel and the US.
The Israeli government has refused to agree during negotiations with the US and the Gulf States that they would even let the PA (aka Fatah) run Gaza. They either want to occupy Gaza long term or just annex it.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

YF-23 posted:

When satellite images were shared showing the buildings Israel demolished to set up infrastructure that can support the pier, someone here suggested that they would use it as the basis for a port to service their own settlements in Gaza. I thought that was likely then, and this practically sounds like confirmation of that suspicion.

It’s temporary and has problems at sea state 3 which is is like waves of 4.1 ft.u

It’s also not going to get left there.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

Bar Ran Dun posted:

It’s temporary and has problems at sea state 3 which is is like waves of 4.1 ft.u

It’s also not going to get left there.

It might not, but all the infrastructure that Israel will build to service a port in its location will.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

YF-23 posted:

It might not, but all the infrastructure that Israel will build to service a port in its location will.

Building a permanent port is a very different beast. The infrastructure there for this is basically a lot. A permanent port would need very different things. I mean it would need a lot too but that’s the easy part. You’d see large steel shipments for a permanent port.

theCalamity
Oct 23, 2010

Cry Havoc and let slip the Hogs of War

Bar Ran Dun posted:

Building a permanent port is a very different beast. The infrastructure there for this is basically a lot. A permanent port would need very different things. I mean it would need a lot too but that’s the easy part. You’d see large steel shipments for a permanent port.

I don’t want to put words in their mouth, but I believe that they are talking about establishing roads and demolishing Gazan homes in order to support that pier

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Jethro posted:

Then there's really no excuse for not cutting off lethal aid is there.

If Israel doesn't need it and it has zero effect on their capabilities in Gaza, then why does Biden want to send it so bad, just the love of the game? Sees a genocide and just has to be a symbolic part of it?

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

theCalamity posted:

I don’t want to put words in their mouth, but I believe that they are talking about establishing roads and demolishing Gazan homes in order to support that pier

If they intend to use the site as future permanent terminal, they would do a hell of a lot more. The other posters are taking about Israel planning on making permanent pier at the site after the temporary one is gone.

My understanding is the water’s not really deep enough for that. If they spilt Gaza in half it’s because they wanted to spilt Gaza in half.

Separately

Times is saying the test shipments are coming off.

https://www.nytimes.com/live/2024/05/17/world/israel-gaza-war-hamas-rafah?smid=nytcore-ios-share&referringSource=articleShare

TLM3101
Sep 8, 2010

theCalamity posted:

It's this. The floating pier is now another reason for Israel to cut Gaza in two and impose a new security-regimen on Palestinians in the name of fighting Hamas. Also, please note that Israel is once again in charge of the aid. You know, that whole thing the pier was ostensibly about circumventing? The ships are going to unload right into a seven-acre area Israel has specifically set aside to hold the aid.

Presumably until it clears 'inspection'. Estimated time of completion? Never.

Nameless_Steve
Oct 18, 2010

by Pragmatica
Remember when I got probated for doubting Hamas' numbers and claims about most victims being women and children?
If the numbers don't matter, then why did Hamas exaggerate them? Why did people and news organizations repeat them?

Neurolimal posted:

Their only intact card is the massive trove of foreign money that AIPAC channels into races, and it's not out of the question that democrats turn their attention towards exposing that (perhaps under the guise of "curbing Russian and Chinese influence") if AIPAC continues to fundraise against Democrats who aren't even anti-Israel:

https://x.com/akela_lacy/status/1789307272931217906
You have that backwards. AIPAC is backing the Democrat despite her and her opponent not having much to say about Israel. Which is unsurprising if one knows how AIPAC actually strategizes, which is very transactional, but I wouldn't expect the Intercept or its readers to be able to wrap their heads around such things. You also misunderstand that AIPAC isn't foreign money. Your selfsame example shows that you have it backwards, AIPAC is not a partisan tool.

Hamelekim posted:

Tell that to the African Jews who experience all those things. Or the Orthodox Jews who are beaten by the IDF. There is plenty of Jew on Jew hatred and discrimination in Israel.
I think it's funny, how many Antizionists use this talking point yet have clearly never talked to Ethiopian Israelis.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kz-y5oV6_-Q
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KOomitsj1bU

Hamelekim posted:

Israel is a failed State and always has been. Has there ever been an ethnostate that has survived? I can’t think of one. But the ruling majority cannot accept any solution other than purging Israel of all Palestinians. So I think we are headed to a really bad place in the future.

Hope I’m wrong, but I think we will find out what the world does when a nuclear power commits genocide.

You will be wrong your whole life, and you'll keep being wrong forever. You will constantly be prognosticating doom for the Palestinians forever, and they'll always still be here, constantly aggressing and getting smacked back down. So, too, will you forever be saying that Israel is a failed state on the cusp of disintegration until the die you die.

Fun fact: the first nuclear power to commit a genocide was the USSR, with the 1946-47 Ukraine Famine and Chechen deportation, with the second being the US-backed genocide in Guatemala. The title of "first nuclear power to commit a genocide" is already taken.

Marenghi posted:

Why's it awful? A multi-ethnic state where Palestinians, Jews and other ethnicities have equal rights would be the ideal solution.
That's not what they want, the Palestinians want a judenrein Arab ethnostate and always have. They've been chanting, 'From the water to water, Palestine will be Arab' ever since 88% of them supported Hitler in 1941
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cJkxOF9QqEk
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_BsdOGJp9to

Svaha posted:

I don't know the current numbers for Civilian vs Hamas deaths, but it's absolute nonsense that asymmetrical warfare can, or ever has, resulted in more combatant deaths than civilian deaths.

Anyone choosing to conduct this sort of warfare is fully aware of the fact that it is going to result in an order of magnitude more innocent deaths than combatant deaths, and indeed, that is entirely the objective in the case of the IDF invading Gaza.

In 1982, Muslim Brotherhood rebels in Syria attempted to assassinate Hafez Assad. In vengeance, he sent the military (30k soldiers) to put down the rebels (2k volunteers) making a last stand in the sympathetic city of Hama. By the end of February, 40,000 civilians had been killed, and only 400 militants.

So that's a 1:100 casualty ratio.

The Gaza War? The ratio is 15:16. As urban warfare goes, that's significantly better than average even among advanced militaries.

The UN says that, globally, 90% of war casualties are civilians

The way to avoid this war would have involved a competent UN, on October 7, demanding extradition of Hamas' leaders and return of all hostages, with Red Cross access to the hostages, and telling Israel to stand back militarily, and only shoot down incoming missiles but refrain from counter-attacking launch sites or crossing the border.
Instead, UNSG Guterres waited until October 9 to comment and justified/"condemned"/justified the attack and did nothing to dissuade or prevent the inevitable counterattack.

That would have been a diplomatic option, but there was no diplomatic option proposed. Israel had no "choice" to conduct assymetrical warfare, and if (as you say) assymetrical warfare is inevitably going to result in a certain number of civilian casualties, then isn't that a good reason to step back and have some perspective?

If Israel were on the warpath to spill as much blood as possible, the way the Syrian army was in 1982, we would expect numbers with 100:1 casualty ratios, at least.

Israel chose to ignore/forgive the Hatuel murders before releasing Gaza in 2005. As a result, Hamas trumpeted the murders proudly, saying their "resistance" was responsible for the liberation, and won Palestinian elections by a substantial margin. (The same way October 7 boosted Hamas in the eyes of the Palestinians, years later) Israel is not in a situation where mercy is seen as a show of strength and good intent and therefore reciprocated, we are dealing with people who view mercy as weakness and a sign to aggress even harder.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

(USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST)

Szarrukin
Sep 29, 2021
I don't really care for rest of these hasbara bullshit you are spewing, but this one is too good to ignore

Nameless_Steve posted:

Fun fact: the first nuclear power to commit a genocide was the USSR, with the 1946-47 Ukraine Famine

Holodomor was in 1932-33, years before Soviet Union (or anyone) had nuclear weapon. First successful Soviet nuclear test was in 1949.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Nameless_Steve posted:

Remember when I got probated for doubting Hamas' numbers and claims about most victims being women and children?
If the numbers don't matter, then why did Hamas exaggerate them? Why did people and news organizations repeat them?

Source?