Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Marchegiana
Jan 31, 2006

. . . Bitch.
Squinty eye and clear discharge (along with sneezes) can happen with a feline herpes flare up. It's a common virus that a majority of shelter cats pick up from their time in the shelter, and when the virus comes out of remission it causes upper respiratory issues in cats. As long as they're eating and drinking fine it will go back into remission on it's own, although I give my cats a lysine supplement to speed up the recovery process. It's only a concern if it gets so bad they can't smell (and therefore don't want to eat) or if they get the little sores in their mouth making it painful (and therefor don't want to eat).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
He is definitely eating and drinking. I've never known any other cat who can slurp up food like him. He's 17 pounds and surprisingly not overweight!

Rat Patrol
Feb 15, 2008

kill kill kill kill
kill me now
Then I'd let him be. If the discharge stops being clear or if his eye crusts shut or if he starts behaving differently/stops eating and drinking like Marchegiana said, then it'd be vet time. Sometimes my Ozma gets weepy eyes, it just happens sometimes.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Almost 24 hours puke free. Fingers crossed everything stays fine and I can scrub the carpet tomorrow.

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

Anyone have a litter robot? It looks kinda absurd but it seems the best reviewed of the self cleaning litterboxes. We've had a cat genie for 3 or 4 years and we've been very happy with it (as has the cat who gets an ultra clean box all the time) but now we need to add another box some place where a cat genie can't go.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty
I decided not to buy one, because these devil-kittens seem hell bent on digging 3 inches down and pooping directly on the plastic, and none of the automatic litter boxes I looked at could scrape the bottom, they all relied on variations of a conveyor belt that sifted the littler through basically the tines of a rake, which lifts non-adherent turds while letting litter pass.

Fats
Oct 14, 2006

What I cannot create, I do not understand
Fun Shoe
I don't know if this is the place for this, but I just finished digging a grave and I can't sleep.

This was Noodle.

Noodle was my Mom's cat, and after she died he moved in with me. My other cat didn't much care for him, but he LOVED me. Would follow me around from room to room, and if he had his way, would have his head tucked into my neck at all times.

He was the furriest, poofiest goddamn cat I've ever met. Which also meant he shed everywhere, constantly, but hey.

He helped me through the aftermath of my Mom's death. He helped me through a lovely breakup. He stopped eating over the weekend, and had become mostly fur and bones. A vet visit this evening showed that his liver was basically gone, and his kidneys weren't far behind. He made it to 17 years old, which I guess is pretty good.

See ya, buddy.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

Noodle :(

A noble life for a creature with such a silly name.

felgs
Dec 31, 2008

Cats cure all ills. Post more of them.

Rest in peace Noodle

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe
I'm so sorry. Noodle was the best cat

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

What a gorgeous fluffball he was. I'm sorry for your loss.

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

FuzzySlippers posted:

Anyone have a litter robot? It looks kinda absurd but it seems the best reviewed of the self cleaning litterboxes. We've had a cat genie for 3 or 4 years and we've been very happy with it (as has the cat who gets an ultra clean box all the time) but now we need to add another box some place where a cat genie can't go.
Having had both, I prefer the Litter Robot, but it does mean you actually have to pay attention to when the waste drawer is full. It's big, bulky, expensive, but unlike the Cat Genie it can actually go into most homes since you don't have to dedicate a laundry room or bathroom to it.

One problem though is that not all cats will use it. I have a pair of cats that took to it, then adopted a third who will sniff it with distaste then go do his business in a litter box dedicated to him.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Then there's the fun times if it decides to turn on with a cat inside.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

Sancho scratched himself again. Flea comb is clean again. Getting concerned so a vet visit is happening Monday. I’m worried it’s an anxiety thing and now that we signed the lease at a new apartment it will get worse come move time in January.

Edit: better picture

KidDynamite fucked around with this message at 03:17 on Nov 24, 2018

poolside toaster
Jul 12, 2008
RIP Noodle...

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

Faced with new Christmas tree far too tall to knock over, Jackson has instead resolved to devour it entirely.

I'm gonna hit it with the bitterant spray but hopefully the worst thing I'll have to do is scoop some green-threaded turds. Merry Christmas, cat thread

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Pillbug
Goodbye Noodle, a fine friend and family member.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty
At some point I need to work on training them not to use my legs as a climbing wall, as it's quite painful.

But when they're being calm, they're darn cute.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

PetSmart had $10 pet beds so the assholes got early Christmas presents

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Birds do not want you to know any more than you already do.

FBS posted:

Faced with new Christmas tree far too tall to knock over, Jackson has instead resolved to devour it entirely.

I'm gonna hit it with the bitterant spray but hopefully the worst thing I'll have to do is scoop some green-threaded turds. Merry Christmas, cat thread

We just sprayed bitter lemon on our fake tree. Our cat watched us do it, sniffed around a bit, then went to town on the branches. We appear to have made the fake leaves delicious. :doh:

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Len posted:

PetSmart had $10 pet beds so the assholes got early Christmas presents

I wish my cats used any of the beds we bought them even once.. :argh:

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

explosivo posted:

I wish my cats used any of the beds we bought them even once.. :argh:

Like all cats they alternate between these nice soft beds and the hard floor in front of the door

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

I’m having some galaxy brain ideas about our move to a new bigger apartment. We want a kitten and what if we introduce sancho and cat at the shelter first. Find compatible kittens. Then on move in day kitten and sancho come in at the same time so they an explore and no one is encroaching on the others space since it’s all new space. Sounds like it should work but I could be in for a world of poo poo if it doesn’t. Anyone have similar experiences?

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

KidDynamite posted:

I’m having some galaxy brain ideas about our move to a new bigger apartment. We want a kitten and what if we introduce sancho and cat at the shelter first. Find compatible kittens. Then on move in day kitten and sancho come in at the same time so they an explore and no one is encroaching on the others space since it’s all new space. Sounds like it should work but I could be in for a world of poo poo if it doesn’t. Anyone have similar experiences?

Cats will not be compatible in one meeting. It will take weeks or months for them to acclimate to each other.

Just get the kitten and they'll work it out.

We just got a new kitten last week. In four days the female has gone from completely spazzing out at the sight of it to calmly watching from across the room as it plays. They don't get along yet, but kitten doesn't care and older cat is getting used to having it around.

Deteriorata fucked around with this message at 05:59 on Nov 26, 2018

Samuel L. Hacksaw
Mar 26, 2007

Never Stop Posting
Looking into getting a second cat to keep hank company. Bandit is his name and he's a stumpy boy by birth. If god wills it, I'll be posting about their misadventures and hissing at the door of separation soon.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

I didn't do the smart thing and use a door to separate rear end in a top hat and bean when we brought her in which led to comical cat dumbness of them both hiding under the bed from each other and hissing at teach other. Or laying on opposite sides of the room and hissing at each other.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
My parents got this three-way cat tunnel. Their cats did not like it, so they gave it to me.

I think it will get some use in my house.

(Also, that is a photo of Crowley's perfectly working left eye - the squints and discharge cleared up on their own.)

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

YOSPOS cat thread favorite heated bed "Fort Warms" is on hella sale ($20) on amazon at the moment. A steal.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00176F9AM

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

No guarantees on a cat using it, but once they do, it's impossible to dislodge them.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

Can it be left plugged in even when not at home?

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

I've been buying poo poo on impulse from Amazon all week, no reason to stop now

Gorgar
Dec 2, 2012

Deviant posted:

Can it be left plugged in even when not at home?

Yes. It only runs when there's weight on it.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

i bought two as christmas presents for my mom and sister

incogneato
Jun 4, 2007

Zoom! Swish! Bang!
We've had that same bed for over 4 years. Works great, only gets warm when the weight of a cat is on it. Doesn't get super warm, maybe closer to laundry out of the dryer at most.

Our cats love it, although I think they sometimes go through phases where they forget it gets warm so never stay long enough. They're not especially bright.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

The warmest it gets is body temperature for me. I turn it on during the winter. It's unplugged right now but the cats still climb in. :3:

I might need to get another to avoid fights over the bed though

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

I can't decide whether to get the bigger one or two smaller ones, my idiots probably aren't good enough friends to share the bigger one but what if they get there?? I could be missing out on prime cat cuddling.

Schneider Inside Her
Aug 6, 2009

Please bitches. If nothing else I am a gentleman
Got mad snuggs from Artichoke last night. My girlfriend reckons it’s because she had the fan on and he doesn’t like it, and thus didn’t snug her, but I know the truth: he loves me the most.

Gorgar
Dec 2, 2012

Organza Quiz posted:

I can't decide whether to get the bigger one or two smaller ones, my idiots probably aren't good enough friends to share the bigger one but what if they get there?? I could be missing out on prime cat cuddling.

I had one of each. Never saw two cats in one. Just replaced them with two small ones. My 16 lb cats preferred the smaller one because they fit snugly in it.

(replacement due to unhappy girl cat peeing on it, not quality issues)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Pillbug
I have to replace the one duckfarts got my girls years ago (kitty incontinence) but it really did seem to be a quality product. Never had any problems with the wiring or materials.