Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Yeah, unless you absolutely have to have a car right now, wait six months or a year. If the car you've got works, keep driving it for a while.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Deteriorata posted:

Yeah, unless you absolutely have to have a car right now, wait six months or a year. If the car you've got works, keep driving it for a while.

My lease ends next week :saddowns:

Evil Robot
May 20, 2001
Universally hated.
Grimey Drawer

skipdogg posted:

People are paying 10 to 15K over MSRP for a freaking KIA Telluride/Hyundai Palisade in this market. 3K over sticker on a RAV4 Prime is a deal

it's california; toyota + suv + plug-in = sales success (constrained by battery supply / now chips maybe?). they've been over msrp since coming out last year (mid-2020). note that in California - gas is super pricey ($4+, electricity is about half the cost per mile) & there are lots of incentive programs for PHEVs/EVs (rav4 prime still eligible for full $7500 federal tax credit also). plus i think historically california is the best market for toyota in the US (even relative to population)

Evil Robot fucked around with this message at 17:51 on Jun 29, 2021

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

KillHour posted:

Seems the lease buyouts are pretty much always a deal at this point. Even if you just buy it out and immediately resell it.

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

KillHour posted:

Yeah what's your lease buyout dawg?

Bouillon Rube
Aug 6, 2009

If you want to buy below MSRP just find a car that is spectacularly unpopular.. Bing bong simple

ask me about my mazda3 turbo

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Bouillon Rube posted:

If you want to buy below MSRP just find a car that is spectacularly unpopular.. Bing bong simple

ask me about my mazda3 turbo

See also: Anything Buick

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

KillHour posted:

Daily the Aston, it will be cheaper.

Frabba
May 30, 2008

Investing in chewy toy futures

KillHour posted:

You guys are making me real happy I got MSRP on my new car.

You and me both, though within a month of me buying the manufacturer announced they were discontinuing production, RIP Clarity. Hopefully parts don't get too expensive over the next 7-8 years.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Inner Light posted:

Yeah what's your lease buyout dawg?

Oh yeah I'm going to make like 7 grand taking it to CarMax. Q for anyone who knows: If I do a third party buyout in NY, do I have to pay sales tax on the residual? It feels like I shouldn't but NY is stupid about leases.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

KillHour posted:

If I do a third party buyout in NY, do I have to pay sales tax on the residual? It feels like I shouldn't but NY is stupid about leases.

Why wouldn't you? You've paid sales tax on the lease, which is the "portion of the value" of the car you "used". The lease is over. Now you're buying the car at a previously agreed upon price. It's a completely separate transaction.

Are they any states that treat that anything other than a taxable purchase?

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.
I bought a CR-V at the beginning of this month for like a thousand under MSRP. All this talk made me go back and look and the same dealership only has two CR-Vs on the lot now and a handful "in transit" that are either the cheapie "Special Edition" trim or the Touring. And the MSRP on the Special Edition is the only one that has gone up.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

skipdogg posted:

See also: Anything Buick

I'm eyeing the Regal Wagons around me pretty hard, they look nice but don't seem to be very cheap.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Motronic posted:

Why wouldn't you? You've paid sales tax on the lease, which is the "portion of the value" of the car you "used". The lease is over. Now you're buying the car at a previously agreed upon price. It's a completely separate transaction.

Are they any states that treat that anything other than a taxable purchase?

Because I'm not buying it myself - I'm selling it to a dealer, who is cutting a check directly to Kia. Most states don't charge you tax for a third party buyout. I'm just wondering if NY does.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

KillHour posted:

Because I'm not buying it myself - I'm selling it to a dealer, who is cutting a check directly to Kia.

Maybe NY has a provision for this specifically (sorry, I don't know) but that sounds a whole lot like kiting the title.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Motronic posted:

Maybe NY has a provision for this specifically (sorry, I don't know) but that sounds a whole lot like kiting the title.

Isn't that when you owe more than the car is worth? CarMax says right on their website that they buy a car on a lease directly from the mfr: https://www.carmax.com/sell-my-car (second to last question in the FAQ)

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

KillHour posted:

Isn't that when you owe more than the car is worth?

No, it's when you take possession of a vehicle from it's previous owner without registering/updating the title/paying taxes on it and then sell it to someone else.

lovely car lots and small time craigslist sellers get busted for this poo poo pretty routinely in PA.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Motronic posted:

No, it's when you take possession of a vehicle from it's previous owner without registering/updating the title/paying taxes on it and then sell it to someone else.

lovely car lots and small time craigslist sellers get busted for this poo poo pretty routinely in PA.

Got it. I don't think that's an issue here because I'm never legally buying the vehicle. CarMax sends the check to Kia and I never own it. That is also why they presumably don't have to pay sales tax on it, since they are a licensed reseller. I guess I'll know for sure when I go and talk to them today :)

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

KillHour posted:

You guys are making me real happy I got MSRP on my new car.

Having a deal for MSRP is basically the reason I might actually follow through on my 2019 reservation for a Mach-e GT. I had decided to just abandon it but never bothered telling the dealer this and then 4 months later I'm like "If I don't buy this thing it might be 18 months before I can get a decent deal on a desirable car" so now I have unabandoned it and am waiting for it to get built supposedly 2 weeks from now.

Bouillon Rube
Aug 6, 2009

Throatwarbler posted:

I'm eyeing the Regal Wagons around me pretty hard, they look nice but don't seem to be very cheap.

I’m assuming you’re looking at used (since those haven’t been made for a few years)? The used market is really inflated right now no matter what car you’re looking at.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
the various purchase plans, even mediocre ones like X, look pretty decent right now

we have A plan qualification now though :gritin: and it applies to Mach-E

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Trip report:

CarMax offered $36k. I have an appointment Friday to do all the paperwork and hand over the keys.

My residual is $27,719. The CarMax rep confirmed that I won't have to pay sales tax on this. This leaves me with $8,281 back. My regular lease payments were $571.20 with no down payment, but the money back reduces that to an effective $341.17, meaning I got to lease a $52k car for 3 years for $12,282. Pretty good!

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

KillHour posted:

Trip report:

CarMax offered $36k. I have an appointment Friday to do all the paperwork and hand over the keys.

My residual is $27,719. The CarMax rep confirmed that I won't have to pay sales tax on this. This leaves me with $8,281 back. My regular lease payments were $571.20 with no down payment, but the money back reduces that to an effective $341.17, meaning I got to lease a $52k car for 3 years for $12,282. Pretty good!

Which car is this please? I understand this is a 'once in a lifetime' market for that to work out so hard in your favor, but still want to know. Nicely done.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Inner Light posted:

Which car is this please? I understand this is a 'once in a lifetime' market for that to work out so hard in your favor, but still want to know. Nicely done.

Kia Stinger GT2. They were practically giving them away 3 years ago and now they're throwing money at my for it.

Bouillon Rube
Aug 6, 2009

KillHour posted:

Trip report:

Nice, $36k can get you into a sweet 2004 Ranger with only minor frame rust these days

moana
Jun 18, 2005

one of the more intellectual satire communities on the web

Deteriorata posted:

Just curious, what will change in 6 months? Or is it just "it can't stay this crazy forever?" and they'll probably be cheaper in 6 months?

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

moana posted:

Just curious, what will change in 6 months? Or is it just "it can't stay this crazy forever?" and they'll probably be cheaper in 6 months?

Desperate hope and blind faith in liberal capitalism.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

moana posted:

Supply chain issues that are limiting production of new cars will probably be worked out in a few months. Prices have spiked on a lot of things in the last few months due to a demand surge. They're all starting to settle down now and cars likely will, too.

Demand-based inflationary shocks are always temporary. There's nothing magical about the six months mark, that's just a typical amount of time for these things to work themselves out. I might be completely wrong, however.

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

The thread loves the Prius when people ask for mileage and reliability. The Prius holds the gold medal.

What other cars are good for mileage and reliability?

Anything even close to the Prius?

Number_6
Jul 23, 2006

BAN ALL GAS GUZZLERS

(except for mine)
Pillbug

bird with big dick posted:

Having a deal for MSRP is basically the reason I might actually follow through on my 2019 reservation for a Mach-e GT. I had decided to just abandon it but never bothered telling the dealer this and then 4 months later I'm like "If I don't buy this thing it might be 18 months before I can get a decent deal on a desirable car" so now I have unabandoned it and am waiting for it to get built supposedly 2 weeks from now.

I hope you got that deal in writing with specific pricing, because many Ford dealers are trying to add big markups to the Mach-E, even on sold private orders.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Ornery and Hornery posted:

The thread loves the Prius when people ask for mileage and reliability. The Prius holds the gold medal.

The Prius V.

Seriously probably all the other toyota hybrids, well at least the 4-banger ones, not like the LC500 hybrid, which is still probably super reliable.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Ornery and Hornery posted:

Pretty much all cars are reliable now with some exceptions

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Number_6 posted:

I hope you got that deal in writing with specific pricing, because many Ford dealers are trying to add big markups to the Mach-E, even on sold private orders.

I’m aware, and I do have it in writing but realistically even having it in writing doesn’t guarantee much. What are you going to do, take a dealership to court to try and force them to sell you a car?

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!
Proposed Budget: $20,000
New or Used: Used.
Body Style: Van/SUV/Station wagon/Truck?
How will you be using the car?: Camping / Cycling are the primary. Driving 4-8 hours to get remote camp etc.
What aspects are most important to you? Reliability / Maintenance. I don't work on my own car anymore and fewer trips to the mechanic the better. Ability to toss on a hitch rack for my bike, and fill the inside with camp gear.
3. Living in Denver, Colorado

History; I had a 2007 Toyota Sienna with an overheated/warped engine block. I decided it wasn't worth trying to get it repaired and returned from Idaho to Denver. So now I'm carless. My daily driver is a bicycle for around Denver as much as I can. Winter included. But I like to get remote on weekends. The van was great for camping, and I never had issues getting where I needed. Since I usually do base camp style. I bike the 4x4 roads etc. Prior to the van, I had a 2002 honda civic si (mini mini van) that also worked well for my style of camping. More ground clearance is good but I don't get stuck/stopped often.

Reading above, something like a 4runner/Xtera/Tacoma seem like great choice... but even pre current markup they seem to run $30k+ or have 150k+ miles and I cannot justify that.

Currently I'm leaning towards a transit connect passenger wagon or an Impreza. I like having the space for me and a friend to pack up for camping. I try to carpool as much as I can when going camping/biking.

I have a double din stereo that does Android Auto/CarPlay that I'd likely try to swap in if possible. I enjoy the smart features for maps/music.

I'm aware this is the worst time to buy, but ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Any other thoughts? Thanks ya'll.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

I just bought a Tacoma new because you are correct there are almost none in good shape for less than 30k, used

And 3-4 years old is like 30-36 k right now

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

I’m aware, and I do have it in writing but realistically even having it in writing doesn’t guarantee much. What are you going to do, take a dealership to court to try and force them to sell you a car?

Taking a dealership to court because of a price discrepancy is not a novel concept. Buy car first, sue for the difference later.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Nitrox posted:

Taking a dealership to court because of a price discrepancy is not a novel concept. Buy car first, sue for the difference later.

Sounds like a lot of work.

"Well yes, I did sign the contract saying that I'd pay 10,000 over MSRP but if I didn't they wouldn't sell me the car!"

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

Sounds like a lot of work.

"Well yes, I did sign the contract saying that I'd pay 10,000 over MSRP but if I didn't they wouldn't sell me the car!"

I mean, yeah you’ll lose if you do such a poo poo job of representing your case.

That said: What’s the most “driver oriented” vehicle I can find for under $30k that’ll be reliable and sized for 4 adults to do 8+ hour interstate drives in?

The market is insane, so I’m not bothering to have any preferences beyond being able to do the above.

Sextro fucked around with this message at 22:05 on Jun 30, 2021

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

When I was younger my dad bought a really, really nice car and I loved that stupid thing so much. It's worth about 10k less than my current car and I was considering buying it, knowing that it is going to cost a fortune to maintain.

I hate basically all cars, though, and like having money so I'm not going to do it, but every 6mo or so I compare prices and imagine driving it around again (BMW 6 Series).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

The dealership is probably going to point out that they have a signed contract for 10,000 over msrp