Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!
Nitrile gloves, Oxolane of your choice, a proper container for safety and then immerse your PLA print.

It'll break down into component chemicals faster than the usual biodegrading method, and oxolanes are a good chemical for cleaning nozzles out if you're primarily printing PLA-only.

If you want to get real crazy with it you can set up a chem-wash basin to cycle the oxolane/keep it agitated and then have some kind of filtration set up that diverts the PLA particulates into a waste bin of some kind (more efficient storage).

Or just set up a furnace and incinerate it. If you do it at high enough temperatures the trace harmful compounds in the dyes and random impurities will break down into less harmful components. :black101:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

iirc the requirements for PLA to biodegrade are about 60 celsius and close to 100% humidity. I wonder if you could make a solar-heated box (reflectors or fresnel lenses or something) of some sort that could do it? Leave it in the back yard, keep it topped up with water, toss in your junk parts and they just dissolve over a few months.

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

Look Professor, a destruct switch!

Sagebrush posted:

iirc the requirements for PLA to biodegrade are about 60 celsius and close to 100% humidity. I wonder if you could make a solar-heated box (reflectors or fresnel lenses or something) of some sort that could do it? Leave it in the back yard, keep it topped up with water, toss in your junk parts and they just dissolve over a few months.

I think you also have to make sure you have the right mix of microorganisms.

Claes Oldenburger
Apr 23, 2010

Metal magician!
:black101:

I think all this points to the best thing we can do with lovely prints and scraps and save them in a bin and reprocess it into filament if possible. Unfortunately it seems like those machines are expensive but I haven't done much research into them.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Not to mention that recycled plastics don't have the same properties as their virgin counterparts - for random PLA prints, that might be less of a problem, but you do have to keep incorporating at least some amount of fresh stock.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!
Just toss it into the ocean like it's a car battery.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

My decision and thoughts, for those that are keeping track -- bought an Ender 3 v2. Should be here tomorrow. Gonna set it up an look into using it to make a Voron, because I'm dumb and like well digging.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

biracial bear for uncut posted:

Just toss it into the ocean like it's a car battery.

Thank you for recharging the electric eels! :patriot:

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

Doctor Zero posted:

Thank you for recharging the electric eels! :patriot:

Ocean life isn't going to choke itself!

RabbitWizard
Oct 21, 2008

Muldoon
I love this loving printer so much. Over the last 2 days I finally had enough time to make some changes. I installed the better extruder kit.

And I printed a new Satsana with PETG, the old one was PLA and white and had thin walls and didn't manage bridges very well. I got a dual fan Satsana model a few days ago and removed all the stupid and unnecessary things I didn't need with Blender.
Like, what's up with that part? I got two fans, I don't need the bulky duct any more.

Way better!

Then I installed it and put some stupid and unnecessary things back on it to balance the universe.

Now it should be able to print bridges! Does it? Yes. YES.

insta
Jan 28, 2009
my friend, have you heard of crimps before. use them, wtf

RabbitWizard
Oct 21, 2008

Muldoon

insta posted:

my friend, have you heard of crimps before. use them, wtf

I used these on every cable. Otherwise I had to work with what I had at home.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!
A good candidate for OSHA.txt at some point if there is literally any moisture in the air to corrode the connection.

Wrap that poo poo up/take it apart long enough to put shrink tubing over it after putting it back together.

Or put that electrical insulating gel (can't remember the name right now, but it's specifically for keeping moisture out of that kind of connector) into the openings on those things.

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

Or put that electrical insulating gel (can't remember the name right now, but it's specifically for keeping moisture out of that kind of connector) into the openings on those things.

Dielectric grease?

RabbitWizard
Oct 21, 2008

Muldoon

A good candidate for OSHA.txt at some point if there is literally any moisture in the air to corrode the connection.
I really tried to understand this. I can't. Yes, connections can corrode. But this type of connection is used billions of times in electronic appliances. Why would I take special care about the wires at this place when they connect to the board in the same way?

Acid Reflux
Oct 18, 2004

After just now pulling my head out of some of the worst aircraft wiring I've ever laid eyes on, I'm having a real hard time getting excited about a few fan wires in Euro blocks.

Dominoes
Sep 20, 2007

What sorts of planes?

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

but it's still good.

RabbitWizard posted:

I love this loving printer so much. Over the last 2 days I finally had enough time to make some changes. I installed the better extruder kit.

And I printed a new Satsana with PETG, the old one was PLA and white and had thin walls and didn't manage bridges very well. I got a dual fan Satsana model a few days ago and removed all the stupid and unnecessary things I didn't need with Blender.
Like, what's up with that part? I got two fans, I don't need the bulky duct any more.

Way better!

Then I installed it and put some stupid and unnecessary things back on it to balance the universe.

Now it should be able to print bridges! Does it? Yes. YES.

drat, that's some nice bridging! I should look into that Satsana, but I just installed quiet fans on my CR-6 yesterday and I'd have to really modify that design to make it work. Maybe on my E5 though .... :thunk:

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

First print on the WhamBam was just a resin validation test but I think it came out pretty good.

Not sure what made those whispy at the ends, might hafta play with the exposure a bit but for the most part looks good.

Acid Reflux
Oct 18, 2004

mattfl posted:

First print on the WhamBam was just a resin validation test but I think it came out pretty good.

Not sure what made those whispy at the ends, might hafta play with the exposure a bit but for the most part looks good.

Not too shabby! Looks like you might be under-exposing just a bit, the points on the little infinity symbol in the middle should be sharp and just barely touching, and it would also explain the minor layer separation on those small lines. Definitely a good first test overall though.

Dominoes posted:

What sorts of planes?
This particular one is a Saab 340. Someone apparently let their 5-year-old install the very nice ADS-B kit that we sent them, and now the plane is up here with us because it doesn't work. If it were kosher to share pictures, it'd be pretty apparent as to why even if you weren't familiar with what you were looking at. It's some of the shoddiest work I've ever had the displeasure of seeing.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

senrath posted:

Dielectric grease?

Yeah, that and some kind of proper strain relief for the wires because they're just going to repeatedly pull on the section of wire pinched by the screws (and we should all know how well that works long term).

RabbitWizard posted:

I really tried to understand this. I can't. Yes, connections can corrode. But this type of connection is used billions of times in electronic appliances. Why would I take special care about the wires at this place when they connect to the board in the same way?

Do those connections in appliances typically deal with the repeated strain that having it on your 3d printer's axis of travel is going to subject it to?

Granted, the most likely result is that the printer will just fail to print something when the connection shorts. But it's still bad practice.

EDIT: Unless that zip tie is *a lot* tighter than it looks in the picture, the wires are still going to pivot/rub back and forth and eventually wear to the point of failure.

Some Pinko Commie fucked around with this message at 17:37 on May 21, 2021

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

F-F-FRIDAY NIGHT MOTHERFUCKERS

mattfl posted:

Consider running some amerilabs towns as well. These tests aren't aparently exact measures of exposure. Town will take longer but is a solid test

RabbitWizard
Oct 21, 2008

Muldoon

Do those connections in appliances typically deal with the repeated strain that having it on your 3d printer's axis of travel is going to subject it to?
(...)
EDIT: Unless that zip tie is *a lot* tighter than it looks in the picture, the wires are still going to pivot/rub back and forth and eventually wear to the point of failure.

Right, I didn't consider movement as the reason because there is none. That ziptie is tight (so far). Also the wires are splitting just after the ziptie, it's a way too big 4-core cable (I think 0.75mm² each) running back to the board. Also I'm prepared to rebuild :)

insta
Jan 28, 2009
oh my god biracial. it's a printer not a military aircraft. i only gave him poo poo because the terminal blocks are 75% the size of the whole printhead, instead of some small JST-XH or something. they're fans.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

insta posted:

oh my god biracial. it's a printer not a military aircraft. they're fans.

Apparently he's not :dadjoke:

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

but it's still good.

Holy poo poo, I guess Enders are a LOT better than I thought! :haw:

e: sourcing my quotes - https://www.myminifactory.com/blog/toyota-supra-a90-scale-model-1-10-60a1304a73dd2

Doctor Zero fucked around with this message at 19:44 on May 21, 2021

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

Doctor Zero posted:

You wouldn't download a car.

insta
Jan 28, 2009

Doctor Zero posted:

you're a dumbass for not watermarking that because it WILL get used on an Ender3 ad somewhere

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

what in hell is going on with that cooling fan

Acid Reflux
Oct 18, 2004

Random dynamic oscillating blower system

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

cakesmith handyman posted:

Apparently he's not :dadjoke:

:v:

RabbitWizard posted:

Right, I didn't consider movement as the reason because there is none. That ziptie is tight (so far). Also the wires are splitting just after the ziptie, it's a way too big 4-core cable (I think 0.75mm² each) running back to the board. Also I'm prepared to rebuild :)

I just have an irrational hatred of wire bird nests.

smax
Nov 9, 2009

I picked up one of those Sainsmart enclosures from Woot a while back and finally got around to setting it up, and moved my setup out to the garage. O'm pretty drat happy with this thing, I think it'll work very well for my purposes.

My lighting solution was to get the cheapest USB-powered TV bias lighting strip I could find on Amazon and stick it along the frame inside the enclosure. Not a bad result for $10 if you don't mind an additional USB plug to deal with. With this enclosure, the whole inside is shiny enough that there aren't any shadows despite being only lit from the front.

Cinara
Jul 15, 2007
Just an FYI, the Phrozen Sonic Mini 4k is an extra $80 off on Amazon right now, and the Mighty 4k is $100 off. You have to click a tiny box to select the coupon on the product page, apparently there are only 100 of each available also.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
Grabbed a mighty 4k. They also give you a bottle of 4k resin if you look below the item listing details, but above the description. There's an option to "Add both to cart" and you get 4k gray resin. There's a blue and a green but they look kinda pastel?ish. Opted for the green.

Slightly bigger print volume than the saturn I have, and a free 1k bottle of resin for 544 shipped, tax included. Not a bad deal at all. Toss in the payment plan option if you have an amazon visa and it's 30 bucks a month for 18 months minimum, or you can just pay it off sooner if you want.

Hell of a deal.

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

For the last two weeks my Ender 3 Pro has been getting clogged every other print or so. I've tried two different hot-end fixes, replaced the bowden tube and coupler, and upgraded the fan - none of which have worked. I think what it must be is heat creeping up and making the filament soften/expand on it's way to the hot-end.

Honestly, I'm at a crossroads of trying to continue troubleshooting this, or just throwing in the towel and buying a more reliable machine because I'm having to tinker with my Ender pretty frequently these days. I hear Prusas are nice. What say you, gurus of 3D printing?

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

F-F-FRIDAY NIGHT MOTHERFUCKERS

Class Warcraft posted:

For the last two weeks my Ender 3 Pro has been getting clogged every other print or so. I've tried two different hot-end fixes, replaced the bowden tube and coupler, and upgraded the fan - none of which have worked. I think what it must be is heat creeping up and making the filament soften/expand on it's way to the hot-end.

Honestly, I'm at a crossroads of trying to continue troubleshooting this, or just throwing in the towel and buying a more reliable machine because I'm having to tinker with my Ender pretty frequently these days. I hear Prusas are nice. What say you, gurus of 3D printing?

My ender 3's been a workhorse, what were your hot end fixes. Cold pull is a good move, I upgraded to a Capricorn Bowden which might help.

I did have some nasty clogs one time, ended up replacing the nozzle with a new 0.4 which did the trick, ended up scraping a ton of burnt shut out of the old one where the factory had aparently hosed up and left some nasty test filament in there

Prusas good aparently too

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

w00tmonger posted:

My ender 3's been a workhorse, what were your hot end fixes. Cold pull is a good move, I upgraded to a Capricorn Bowden which might help.

I did have some nasty clogs one time, ended up replacing the nozzle with a new 0.4 which did the trick, ended up scraping a ton of burnt shut out of the old one where the factory had aparently hosed up and left some nasty test filament in there

Prusas good aparently too

So when I first got my Ender 3 it had a lot of similar issues, which I fixed by doing that dumb hot-end fix with the printed spacer and piece of tubing that lives in the heat sink. That worked for like 4 months with no problems. Eventually the spacer melted (another sign that heat is creeping up past the heat sink) so I just went back to the regular setup, but made sure my bowden tube was flush with the nozzle. That worked for a while, but now it's clogging again.

I replaced the tubing a couple times (all capricorn), upgraded to stronger couplers so the tube can't pull away from the nozzle, replaced the nozzle probably a dozen times by now, upgraded the fan. Now I've tried the spacer hot-end fix again, but this time it isn't helping. Using the needle to unclog it from the nozzle doesn't work - I'm not able to push it far enough up in there to unclog it. Whenever I take the nozzle off and bowden tube out there is always a pretty solid mass of filament in there that is hard enough that I have to use a spare piece of bowden tube to push it out, even when it's at printing temperatures.

I've also had to replace the extruder arm and bed, so I'm just generally getting tired of having to constantly sink money into replacement parts for this thing.

Class Warcraft fucked around with this message at 05:55 on May 22, 2021

Ambrose Burnside
Aug 30, 2007

pensive
first casting die attempt clearly did not have the exposure dialed in, but i’m still gonna give it a spin tomorrow

the coin is about 1.25” across, i was kinda pushing it with how deep i wanted the lettering to be embossed. i should still get an at least partial capturing of the entire design. also i hosed up by making the locator pins fit perfectly, which means they immediately don’t allow the thing to close properly once you go through post-cure shrinkage, so i had to rework them (poorly) with rifflers

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.

Class Warcraft posted:

So when I first got my Ender 3 it had a lot of similar issues, which I fixed by doing that dumb hot-end fix with the printed spacer and piece of tubing that lives in the heat sink. That worked for like 4 months with no problems. Eventually the spacer melted (another sign that heat is creeping up past the heat sink) so I just went back to the regular setup, but made sure my bowden tube was flush with the nozzle. That worked for a while, but now it's clogging again.

I replaced the tubing a couple times (all capricorn), upgraded to stronger couplers so the tube can't pull away from the nozzle, replaced the nozzle probably a dozen times by now, upgraded the fan. Now I've tried the spacer hot-end fix again, but this time it isn't helping. Using the needle to unclog it from the nozzle doesn't work - I'm not able to push it far enough up in there to unclog it. Whenever I take the nozzle off and bowden tube out there is always a pretty solid mass of filament in there that is hard enough that I have to use a spare piece of bowden tube to push it out, even when it's at printing temperatures.

I've also had to replace the extruder arm and bed, so I'm just generally getting tired of having to constantly sink money into replacement parts for this thing.

Is your bowden tube too short or something? My Ender 3 pro has also been a workhorse, and has been running for a few years now and never clogged at all. If space keeps opening up between your bowden tube and your nozzle, something weird is going on there. Maybe the coupler isn't holding well enough? If the tube were too short maybe it could be getting pulled a bit as the print head travels to the edge of the bed? I don't really know I'm just brainstorming. What temps are you printing at? Is the cooling fan working properly? Is the heat sink clean? I've seen a layer of dust build up between a fan and heat sink on other electronics in the past that messes up the cooling. My printer is enclosed, so it stays pretty dust-free. Are you tightening the nozzle down with the machine cold or hot?

armorer fucked around with this message at 11:02 on May 22, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RabbitWizard
Oct 21, 2008

Muldoon

armorer posted:

I don't really know I'm just brainstorming.
I had a problem yesterday where the nozzle couldn't melt the filament fast enough for my print speed. I imagine this could lead to all kinds of problems if your extruder is really good.