Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007

empty baggie posted:

For 3 years, our store had to refurb about 1500 multi body MacBooks for a local county school system. After spending 3 summers installing hundreds of top cases and inverter boards/cables in those things (not to mention swapping countless lcd panels, etc), any hardware repair on a current Apple product is like a day at the beach. You have no clue how happy we all were when all of the old multi body laptops and white iMacs went into vintage/obsolete status. And depending on the repair, I'd still rather work on a new Mac Pro than the cheese grater ones any day.

The only thing that comes close to sucking about the current lineup is maybe installing the display panels back on the current iMacs, but even those aren't really that bad once you've done a few and gotten used to lining them up right (and making sure they're plugged in) before pulling the adhesive tabs off. And maybe getting the serial number off of iPhone displays during a component check, though that's more annoying than anything.

See, I think VHB is easy to apply but 11 inch air displays with the threading is much more time consuming

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Butt Savage posted:

I think that's inevitable. People simply start to run out of ideas and it takes someone outside the loop to formulate the next big thing. Apple's gonna get Appled some day.

Then again, sometimes you just arrive at a refined design and that's that. That's why the iMac has changed very little in about a decade, at least aesthetically.

Blitter
Mar 16, 2011

Intellectual
AI Enthusiast

Butt Savage posted:

I think that's inevitable. People simply start to run out of ideas and it takes someone outside the loop to formulate the next big thing. Apple's gonna get Appled some day.

This is such a silly thing to say; what apple has, is a design process that has been defined by a great many of its employees, since, like forever. Get "Appled?" What is that even supposed to mean?

Go read folklore.org to get a better idea on how the next big thing is about tech, people and luck, not figureheads or a finite pool of ideas.

Also, outside the loop is good wordplay!

empty baggie
Oct 22, 2003

Dr. Video Games 0050 posted:

See, I think VHB is easy to apply but 11 inch air displays with the threading is much more time consuming

Oh, that one year they had those weird tabs? Eh, whatever. Yeah, they're easy to apply, but so was routing a few airport cables through some stupid things, or just ignoring them in the first place and nobody knowing the difference lol.

empty baggie fucked around with this message at 08:20 on Mar 5, 2016

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

well why not posted:

Cool, thanks. What do you mean by 'turned up'? Are they not always giant heatsinks?

If you're doing something more performance heavy such as running your music production software vs just browsing the Internet or something. MacBooks pros normally stay pretty cool until you start power using the cpu in which case I like to plug in because rapidly draining the battery isn't very good for its overall lifespan

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
I've got a late 2014 mac mini that I have hooked up to my TV via hdmi. It acts as a plex server, source control (perforce for small Web Development projects), torrent/newsgroup downloader, and light gaming (retro console emulation and older games) machine and it serves all of these purposes quite adequately. I'm noticing a couple of issues though that I thought I would ask about. If I walk across the room (hardwood floors) to plug something in to the usb like a thumbdrive or a usb extension cable for a game controller I put my hand on the top of it to brace it and when I do, the TV goes black for a second or two, like it loses the hdmi signal and then it comes back. I assume this is due to static electricity. What's interesting is the same thing happens if I touch the end of the usb extension cable. Every time I plug something in to the extension the TV loses, then regains picture. About 10% of the time the picture comes back as colorful snow (like the old days) and I have to turn my tv off and back on to regain a picture.

To make matters worse I use an Xbox one controller as my game controller and it's usb port is infamously lovely so while playing a game the usb cable plugged into it is slightly loose and moves around just a tiny bit in there, enough to trigger this loss of picture.

I've tried different ports, different extensions, different usb cable from the controller, and different xbox one controllers, all to no change in the situation.

So I decided to try a wireless controller, the Horipad Ultimate which uses Bluetooth. It's got a mac logo on it even though it's part of the Made for i(pod/phone/pad) program. The thing pairs fine but no games recognize it, joystickmapper doesn't recognize half of it's buttons/axes. So it's bad and going back to the store today.

So what wireless controllers are people using? Ps4? Xbox 360? I want wireless because the thing seems so sensitive to static that I don't want to kill the thing just plugging something in, and I don't want to keep losing picture when I slightly move the controller around.

Yes I realize this is a gaming post in the mac hardware thread.

smax
Nov 9, 2009

GutBomb posted:

I've got a late 2014 mac mini that I have hooked up to my TV via hdmi...

One suggestion: mine did something similar until I swapped out the HDMI cable. You might have a bad cable that intermittently loses contact when you slightly bump the computer or the cable. Mine didn't take much at al to make the screen flash.

It might not fix it, but an HDMI cable is certainly cheaper and easier than throwing other new hardware at it.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
Yeah I'd look into the HDMI cable itself or possible power issues with the outlet(s) involved.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
I just tried a new HDMI cable and it did the same thing. Tried it in a different room on a monitor and it did the same thing when touching the end of the USB extension. It seems really sensitive. I bought a PS4 controller, paired it, and now I don't have to do anything with the USB extension anymore. If I ground myself before touching the computer itself it doesn't do the flickering so any minimal touching of the machine itself I have to do I'll make sure I ground myself. But with the PS4 controller I'm finally satisfied and I get the bonus of not having a cable stretching across my living room floor for the dog to trip over when she runs around like a loon.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

GutBomb posted:

So what wireless controllers are people using? Ps4? Xbox 360? I want wireless because the thing seems so sensitive to static that I don't want to kill the thing just plugging something in, and I don't want to keep losing picture when I slightly move the controller around.

Yes I realize this is a gaming post in the mac hardware thread.

I'm currently using a Logitech F710 Wireless Gamepad, but only because its supported OOTB by OpenEmu, and I can use the stockpile of Eneloop AA batteries I got super cheapo at a garage sale.

Good for you that you chose a PS4 wireless controller, even a PS3 would do. Only sad part about the PS4 controller is that you have to use its lackluster internal proprietary battery unless you replace it with something more robust, which is publicly available..

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
What are the chances of the next upgrade of rMBP 13" being released at the upcoming March event?

I need a new laptop relatively soon, but I can wait until the end of March if they're likely to be released then.

My other option, especially if they are NOT released in March, is to buy a late 2013 rMBP I saw in SA-Mart for $800 or so, and then resell it whenever the new version does come out.

Also, can anyone speak to how big a jump forward the new Intel chipset is? I read an article that was making some big promises, but it could have just been a tech blog overhyping what is actually a modest improvement.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through
you have all the same predictive powers as the rest of us, so do you think there'll be one?

the new chipsets offer a bit more battery, a bit more CPU, and noticeably better GPUs.

i admit i'd be surprised if they came out with more than the MacBook update (in terms of macbook updates) but I'd be pleasantly surprised. my 2012 rMBP still works a treat, but i want something with thunderbolt 3 for hi-res displays / e-GPUs.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

I think the usual advice is, "if you need it now, buy it now. if you can wait and there's an event coming up, wait." But we don't know poo poo about Apple's product plans, and even if one of us did, they wouldn't share... since that's a quick trip to the unemployment line at Apple ...

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

OldSenileGuy posted:

What are the chances of the next upgrade of rMBP 13" being released at the upcoming March event?
I don't think it's whether "will a Skylake rMBP come out", but will the form factor change for the MacBook Pro. Will they go more MacBook-like (no ports except USB-C)? Will they release a 13-14" MacBook and a separate 13" MacBook Pro?

quote:

Also, can anyone speak to how big a jump forward the new Intel chipset is? I read an article that was making some big promises, but it could have just been a tech blog overhyping what is actually a modest improvement.

The raw CPU speed should be around the same. Single-threaded performance in the portables has been about the same for the last few years.

The SSD shouldn't be much faster. They're already blistering fast.

The integrated graphics should be incrementally faster as they have been each iteration. The battery life should be a hair better as well.

You won't get the ability to run a 5K panel with a single cable with Skylake either, so if you buy that used 13" rMBP you might hang onto it for longer than you think-I'm in no hurry to get rid of my late-2013.

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Please let it be a Macbook update. 12 hours of battery, a tiny bit faster, and the ability to drive, if need be, a large monitor.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Best Buy just started a huge sale on the 12" MacBook, something like $300 off. That was a huge red flag to me that they'll probably be releasing a 2nd gen MacBook at this month's event.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

2010 15" and 17" MacBook Pros are now considered by Apple to be 'obsolete' or 'vintage'. Meaning you can still download OS X and updates but you aren't guaranteed to be able to get hardware service.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201624

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Bob Morales posted:

I don't think it's whether "will a Skylake rMBP come out", but will the form factor change for the MacBook Pro. Will they go more MacBook-like (no ports except USB-C)? Will they release a 13-14" MacBook and a separate 13" MacBook Pro?

The raw CPU speed should be around the same. Single-threaded performance in the portables has been about the same for the last few years.

The SSD shouldn't be much faster. They're already blistering fast.

The integrated graphics should be incrementally faster as they have been each iteration. The battery life should be a hair better as well.

You won't get the ability to run a 5K panel with a single cable with Skylake either, so if you buy that used 13" rMBP you might hang onto it for longer than you think-I'm in no hurry to get rid of my late-2013.
You could run 5K over a single TB3 cable, not that there's anything on the other end to hook up to yet. But if you're into having a dock and stuff you'd be able to do TB3 to a dock with multiple outputs to hook up to 5K from there.

What would really be nice is quad core for the 13", not that I'd expect it. But there's a 25W quad core Skylake part now! And the Iris Pro stuff can be configured down to 35W! Well that'd be my hope if they do something like 12/14" MBs and 13/15" MBPs.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

OldSenileGuy posted:

I need a new laptop relatively soon, but I can wait until the end of March if they're likely to be released then.

Pivo posted:

I think the usual advice is, "if you need it now, buy it now. if you can wait and there's an event coming up, wait." But we don't know poo poo about Apple's product plans, and even if one of us did, they wouldn't share... since that's a quick trip to the unemployment line at Apple ...

We're all well aware that Apple uses Intel's chip and their newest chip Skylake isn't completely in their Hardware Lineup.

Skylake isn't a big bump from the performance side of things but it is bump for graphics and battery life. The Apple event is in less than two weeks and I'd agree it's worth waiting.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

japtor posted:

You could run 5K over a single TB3 cable, not that there's anything on the other end to hook up to yet. But if you're into having a dock and stuff you'd be able to do TB3 to a dock with multiple outputs to hook up to 5K from there.

I was going by this

quote:

Apple won't release the first Macs with Intel's new Skylake chips and Thunderbolt 3 support until later in 2016, and only those models will be able to drive a 5K display at 60Hz over one cable. While that makes a 5K Thunderbolt Display a possibility in 2016, Apple has good reason to wait until at least 2017.

Intel's Skylake processors for Mac notebooks, launching in early 2016, and Kaby Lake processors, expected to launch in the first half of 2017, will not be able to drive a 5K Thunderbolt Display over Single-Stream Transport (SST). The underlying issue is that both processor lineups lack support for DisplayPort 1.3.

Instead, the display would sync two channels over Multi-Stream Transport (MST), which can cause some performance issues. That means Apple may wait until at least Cannon Lake chipset (which promise SST 5K support) in the second half of 2017, before releasing a 5K Thunderbolt Display.

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
Oh yeah, I'm definitely waiting for the March even before I make any moves. My problem comes into play if they don't release any new MacBook at the March event, because I really can't wait until the next event (June?) to get something.

If that's the case, I might pick up an Air 3 (I'd been meaning to upgrade my home iPad for a while) and try to get by using that until June.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

OWC has finally released SSD upgrades for late-2013 and newer MacBook Pro and MacBook Air

480GB – $379.99 (MSRP); $347.99 (Introductory Price)
1TB – $649.99 (MSRP); $597.99 (Introductory Price)

http://blog.macsales.com/35431-owc-unveils-aura-ssd-flash-storage-upgrades-for-mid-2013-and-later-macs

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Wonder if they're gonna be SandForce based.. from the blog it sounds like yes, and if they are, one would hope they're the SF3700 controllers.

The SF3500 controllers top out at 900 MB/s read and 525 MB/s write, which is somewhat poorer than the stock Apple OEM MacBook Pro SSDs of 2015 vintage which can reach 1400 MB/s read and 1300 MB/s write.

The 3700 controllers are right up there with 1600 MB/s read and write.

When the first Retina Late 2013 MBPs were tested they topped out around 770 MB/sec read speeds for OEM Apple 512 GB SSDs and 1100 MB/sec read speeds for 1 TB OEMs.

Noted in that whole OWC blog posting, there's nary a peep about performance gains over stock Apple parts- just the mention of more capacity at cheaper prices.

Binary Badger fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Mar 8, 2016

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

Tab8715 posted:

We're all well aware that Apple uses Intel's chip and their newest chip Skylake isn't completely in their Hardware Lineup.

"Apple is going to use the latest Intel poo poo" hasn't been a secret. The secret is when, how much, and what else?

The fact Apple will have to refresh their portables isn't even a question. Maybe I've been following the industry too long heh but what is the "one more thing". And when.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Bob Morales posted:

OWC has finally released SSD upgrades for late-2013 and newer MacBook Pro and MacBook Air

480GB – $379.99 (MSRP); $347.99 (Introductory Price)
1TB – $649.99 (MSRP); $597.99 (Introductory Price)

http://blog.macsales.com/35431-owc-unveils-aura-ssd-flash-storage-upgrades-for-mid-2013-and-later-macs

Try posting the specs page:

http://eshop.macsales.com/item/OWC/SSDAB2MB10K
Silicon Motion 2256 flash controller, Marvell 9230 RAID controller, sustained read speed of 763 MB/s, sustained write of 446 MB/s.. it's not much better than the original Late 2013 SSDs.

Let's see.. "TRIM Not Supported" :psyduck: The 2256 does recognize TRIM commands, so I bet you just need to run TRIM Enabler / Disk Sensei / whatever the cool kids are doing these days to enable TRIM for 3rd party drives.

Noted they don't say they're any faster than Apple parts. Well, guess it's ok for people who want something they can order retail and not deal with eBay bullshit.

Binary Badger fucked around with this message at 05:42 on Mar 9, 2016

Hi Jinx
Feb 12, 2016

Binary Badger posted:

Let's see.. "TRIM Not Supported" :psyduck: Really, in TYOOL 2016?

OSX doesn't issue TRIM to drives not made by Apple. (Hence TRIM Enabler and similar apps.) I would guess the drive does actually support TRIM with any other OS (just because it's 2016), it's just OWC telling their customers that it won't work on their Macs.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Hmm, OWC's SSD replacements for the Mac Pro are SandForce 2281 based, and the read / write speeds aren't any better. But 2 TB and 4 TB startup drives ($1400 and $2000 respectively) ya can't sneeze at.

Hi Jinx
Feb 12, 2016
They also released a a 2TB internal drive from them for 2013+ Mac Pros, which is awesome.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
So there are no consequences for enabling TRIM?

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

tuyop posted:

So there are no consequences for enabling TRIM?
Shouldn't be, unless the implementation is hosed up one way or another. OWC had that post way back about not needing it with their SF drives, but I think that was just as much about the implementation at the time being hacky, like it was back when TRIM Enabler (or whatever methods at the time) worked by using an older driver or something. And the software side hosed up in general cause of it, and/or their controller (or their version of the firmware) didn't play well with it.

Anyway related question about the speeds in the PCIe drives Apple's been using, was the speed jump from going to 2 lanes to 4 or did they just go from PCIe 2.0 to 3.0 or something else? I just remember the original drives basically hitting the limits of the connection at the time, then something switching up there and basically hitting the newer limits now.

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

Binary Badger posted:

http://eshop.macsales.com/item/OWC/SSDAB2MB10K
Silicon Motion 2256 flash controller, Marvell 9230 RAID controller, sustained read speed of 763 MB/s, sustained write of 446 MB/s.. it's not much better than the original Late 2013 SSDs.

Let's see.. "TRIM Not Supported" :psyduck: The 2256 does recognize TRIM commands, so I bet you just need to run TRIM Enabler / Disk Sensei / whatever the cool kids are doing these days to enable TRIM for 3rd party drives.

Noted they don't say they're any faster than Apple parts. Well, guess it's ok for people who want something they can order retail and not deal with eBay bullshit.

According to a couple minutes googling, the Marvell 9230 RAID controller is a PCIe SATA RAID chip, and the Silicon Motion 2256 is a SATA gen3 SSD controller. Judging by the pics and specs it would appear this drive is two SATA 2256 SSDs (built with TLC NAND) in RAID 0 connected to the system through the 9230 RAID controller.

Their Mac Pro SSDs are similar, except they bump it up to four SATA SSDs in RAID 0 on the same 9230 RAID chip, this time using the Sandforce SF-2281.

Issues with this design, mostly focusing on the SiliconMotion version for MacBooks but some of which also apply to the Mac Pro upgrade...

1. most SATA RAID controllers are bizarrely incapable of passing through TRIM. This is almost certainly why TRIM is not supported, and if so there will never be any way to enable TRIM on these drives under any operating system whatsoever.

2. the 9230's PCIe side is 2 lanes of Gen2, so the max data rate it can theoretically do is 1.0 GB/s. In practice it's not going to do that much. Possibly optimistic scientific wild-rear end guess: 80% efficient, or ~800MB/s. Guess why they're not talking up performance.

3. it's gonna suck up a lot more power than the Apple OEM native-PCIe SSDs. IDK whether this will noticeably affect battery life but it can't help.

4. Silicon Motion is one of the bottom tier SSD controller vendors (every independent left is more or less in this category, it's now almost impossible to do as good a job as the design teams that are captive or otherwise connected to one of the major flash memory makers).

5. All that board area consumed by controller chips is probably why they're not offering a 2TB drive for MacBooks.

Personally, I would not buy any of these OWC PCIe SSDs.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Hi Jinx posted:

OSX doesn't issue TRIM to drives not made by Apple.

It doesn't? Apple has included trimforce in the last 2 versions of OS X...

the_lion
Jun 8, 2010

On the hunt for prey... :D
I've got a Samsung EVO 850 1TB drive in an external USB case.

Every time I plug it in, without fail i'm getting a kernel panic. On reboot though, it's 100% fine.
Any idea what actually might be causing this?

(Using a late 2013 iMac, 27" version).

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

BobHoward, thanks for that analysis.

Also looking at another OWC specs page..

http://www.owcdigital.com/products/ssd/aura-mid-2013-and-later-macs-specs

Boot Camp Utility not supported (so essentially the whole drive has to become Windows?), SMART not supported (WTF? How will I know when it's getting ready to die?!) Wonder if FileVault2 is supported..

Well, at least it will make 2013-2014 model owners happy; it's definitely a speed downgrade for 2015 MBP/MBA owners.

I have a 256 GB SSD of theirs for an old Late 2010 13-inch MBA; it definitely generates more heat (it comes with a thermal pad that is thick enough to reach the bottom shell to intentionally dissipate heat to that,) and soaks up more battery power, and tangibly feels slower than the 128 GB Apple OEM it replaced. So yeah, par for the course for these guys.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

the_lion posted:

I've got a Samsung EVO 850 1TB drive in an external USB case.

Every time I plug it in, without fail i'm getting a kernel panic. On reboot though, it's 100% fine.
Any idea what actually might be causing this?

(Using a late 2013 iMac, 27" version).

What OS, what enclosure? Assuming you tried different ports and cables.

In my * anecdotal * experience, 27-inch metal iMacs can have flaky ports that nobody notices until they have to use all of their ports because they're too lazy to buy a hub.. and its a royal pain to have to switch out the entire logic board because 1-2 ports aren't working right.

I like the Inateck, Anker, Vantec, and Sabrent enclosures and hubs as they take pains to actually actively support MacOS other than printed blurb lip service, and they offer firmware updates on their equipment where available.

Binary Badger fucked around with this message at 15:03 on Mar 9, 2016

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Binary Badger posted:

I have a 256 GB SSD of theirs for an old Late 2010 13-inch MBA; it definitely generates more heat (it comes with a thermal pad that is thick enough to reach the bottom shell to intentionally dissipate heat to that,) and soaks up more battery power, and tangibly feels slower than the 128 GB Apple OEM it replaced. So yeah, par for the course for these guys.

You're lucky it hasn't just flat out died yet.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I'm gonna swap a 512GB SSD from a 2013 Air into my 2013 rMBP (which currently has a 256GB drive), pretty stoked.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
So do these trim restrictions apply to regular SATA SSDs that you just plug in with a SATA cable? I swapped a samsung evo 850 500gb SSD into my mac mini and it's working great, but if there's extra stuff I need to do to enable trim that would be useful to know.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

GutBomb posted:

So do these trim restrictions apply to regular SATA SSDs that you just plug in with a SATA cable? I swapped a samsung evo 850 500gb SSD into my mac mini and it's working great, but if there's extra stuff I need to do to enable trim that would be useful to know.
Open a Terminal and type in sudo trimforce enable

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

Bob Morales posted:

Open a Terminal and type in sudo trimforce enable

Sweet, thanks. I've done that now. Apple is a funny company with all their weird restrictions.