Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice
Alright I've got something else I need goon opinions on. My son turns three next month and we've never done any kind of day care, I just switched to very flexible and minimal part time when covid hit so my wife could continue her career and it's pretty much just me and him mon-fri, so aside from seeing his cousins once in a while and some friends' kids, he really isn't socialized well. Noisy, sociable kids will run up to him at the park wanting to chase and he just gets scared and wants to leave. Originally my wife wasn't planning on letting him go to pre-school until he was four, which seemed like an eternity back when he hadn't even turned one yet, but now it's just another year which I can certainly handle. So, given the expense of even a 3 half-day per week pre-school, is it worth it just to get him exposed to other kids, both for the social aspect and to have him get sicknesses out of his system for the first year so he's not missing more important schooling later? It's not like having two and a half hours free three days a week is going to grant me any more of my job back, so that part won't change, I'm just wondering if anyone here has found that worthwhile.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."
Imo you should do the daycare, it probably will be a good learning experience for him although it probably will be rough at first.

My daughter took a while to warm up to daycare (starting at about 11 months old, last March), and is still rough some days if she's been elsewhere for a few days, but I feel like it's enriched her life a lot. She does cool art we wouldn't have thought of. She eats different foods. She's become enamored with a few other kids. She's got words she didn't learn from us. It's a good thing imo.

I would only pause and think about it more if an elderly relative is part of your close contacts/childcare support system. Especially if they aren't vaccinated, because yeah, he's gonna get all the cruds.

Good luck! It'll probably be hard for you too but...man, what I wouldn't pay for two and a half hours of free time three days a week...

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

We also have a plague spawn and he did okay being put into daycare. Had some bumps but he's thriving now. As are all the infections he brings home to thoughtfully cough right in my face.

Also, daughter's back from her dad's week so we get to do our best to not be run ragged. This last week was hellish since our son was home for the last of it with a fever so we started off exhausted. But her new low-loft bed (with a slide!) is set up, the space under it has been wrapped with LED string lights, and i put her new drawers together just before she got home from school today.

And we're having a playdate tomorrow and the day after at our place (haha oh god why), coupled with the neighborhood egg hunt thing on Saturday and taking the kids to a Ren faire on Sunday.

Pray for us.

Dobbs_Head
May 8, 2008

nano nano nano

The nearly 3 yo tantrums are a trip.

Daughter wanted to watch some ballet videos on youtube. I said ok and we settled in. She wanted the “pirate ballet” (Le corsaire). So I said ok, and picked out a pas de deux. Queue the meltdown.

“I DONT WANT A PAS DE DEUX! I WANT THE PIRATE BALLET”

Telling her that the Le Corsaire pas de deux is the pirate ballet didn’t work.

Sweetie, please I’m just trying to give you exactly what you asked for.

L0cke17
Nov 29, 2013

Baby is learning sass today.

He was wailing like a banshee because we had to wash his cup before he could drink out of it.

I told him to not scream like that unless he was dying and he stops and says "I AM DING"

I couldn't help but laugh which just made him madder.

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

My toddler has hit the “I want to climb everything” stage. She was watching some Elmo in her room when I went to check on her and she had climbed up the crib and had her arms over the top railing. I put the iPad in the crib for her to watch so she can’t mess with the screen. I guess no more unsupervised Sesame Street in her room! She hasn’t tried to climb out of the crib yet, but I suppose her trying to climb it at all is the trigger for switching to a toddler bed.

lifg
Dec 4, 2000
<this tag left blank>
Muldoon
That’s my big fear with my kid.

meanolmrcloud
Apr 5, 2004

rock out with your stock out

Nessa posted:

My toddler has hit the “I want to climb everything” stage. She was watching some Elmo in her room when I went to check on her and she had climbed up the crib and had her arms over the top railing. I put the iPad in the crib for her to watch so she can’t mess with the screen. I guess no more unsupervised Sesame Street in her room! She hasn’t tried to climb out of the crib yet, but I suppose her trying to climb it at all is the trigger for switching to a toddler bed.

Mine too. Super scary to walk into the nursery and find her on the chair on there that she could never previously climb onto, especially when her instinct to get down is to dive headfirst off it. We don’t have stairs suitable for practicing the correct way to get down from things, so we’ll have to do lessons on that.

Koivunen
Oct 7, 2011

there's definitely no logic
to human behaviour
Current cute mispronunciation: SO FARTY!! (Safari.) LOOK AT THE SO FARTY ANIMALS! HERE’S MY SO FARTY HAT!!

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

Daycare has been a huge net positive for our 18 month old. He's been going since he was 3 months old and there's just a lot of stuff he gets to do and learn that he otherwise wouldn't be learning. We both work full time, and while we both love him more than anything being a full time stay at home parent is just not something either of us is built for. He gets the attention and socialization that he needs and learns things we would never have taught him on our own like baby sign language and we have time to mentally recharge so we can give him more focused attention when he's home.

It'll probably be tougher for a 3 year old starting out, but school is coming either way and it doesn't seem like it'll get any easier if you wait.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

I can't stand watching Charlie's face on Sesame Street. What is she looking at? Didn't anyone tell her where the cameras are? Why is she squinting?

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Brawnfire posted:

I can't stand watching Charlie's face on Sesame Street. What is she looking at? Didn't anyone tell her where the cameras are? Why is she squinting?

My wife told me that child actors at that age will have an offscreen coach giving them directions, and that's what she's looking at.

It adds up I think. I like Charlie because she has the cutest curls but yeah she's pretty fuckin annoying otherwise but I have a hard time getting angry at anything Sesame Street related.

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."

Brawnfire posted:

Thanks, I just went down a sesame street rabbit hole and learned that Elmo's dad was deployed in the military. The Bush years sure were...a time.

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

RETAIL RETAIL LISTEN TO ME BITCH ABOUT RETAIL
:rant:

Koivunen posted:

their dad stopped by my house for a “diaper change”

You lazy loving turd. How is it possible to despise someone I haven't even met?

Well no. That's not true. I hate my wife's best friend's ex husband for being an abusive poo poo and I may or may not have chuckled when he stabbed himself in the eye at work. Not very Christian of me but :shrug:

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

External Organs posted:

Thanks, I just went down a sesame street rabbit hole and learned that Elmo's dad was deployed in the military. The Bush years sure were...a time.

Really? That loving hippie beatnik? Pshaw

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

D34THROW posted:

You lazy loving turd. How is it possible to despise someone I haven't even met?

Well no. That's not true. I hate my wife's best friend's ex husband for being an abusive poo poo and I may or may not have chuckled when he stabbed himself in the eye at work. Not very Christian of me but :shrug:

legit how can you call yourself a parent if you haven't perfected the car seat poopy change.

It's no secret that it wasn't about the diaper, it was about offloading the child.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Renegret posted:

My wife told me that child actors at that age will have an offscreen coach giving them directions, and that's what she's looking at.

It adds up I think. I like Charlie because she has the cutest curls but yeah she's pretty fuckin annoying otherwise but I have a hard time getting angry at anything Sesame Street related.

I guess it does add up, sometimes she randomly makes some bizarre expression so maybe the coach threw out a "look angry" or "look confused as gently caress" gesture

I'm not trying to be mean she's someone's kid but I can't look at the screen when she's talking

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
Two weeks ago we made an unplanned trip to the park on our way home from school and I had to do an unexpected poop change in the back seat of the car. After I pulled the diaper off I realized I never updated my emergency just-in-case diaper bag since COVID started and it had diapers 2 sizes too small.

So uh, well, at least Kiddo didn't seem to mind that his diaper didn't even remotely fit.

Come to think of it, I still haven't updated that bag.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Brawnfire posted:

I guess it does add up, sometimes she randomly makes some bizarre expression so maybe the coach threw out a "look angry" or "look confused as gently caress" gesture

I'm not trying to be mean she's someone's kid but I can't look at the screen when she's talking

Oh yeah I agree she's terrible. I just have a lot of patience for

a) kids with adorable curls
b) sesame street

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

Renegret posted:

legit how can you call yourself a parent if you haven't perfected the car seat poopy change.

I’m interested to hear if this means changing them in their carseat, in which case I’d be impressed.

Usually we just change them in the trunk area of our SUV. Or if the trunk is full of stuff like when we’re on a road trip then we’ll change them in the passenger seat. But we’ve never changed them in the carseat.

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

Covid has stolen the "changing baby in a public restroom" experience, among other things. It was probably a good year before we did a car diaper change.

Brawnfire posted:

https://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=5383607

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

We’ve tried changing our kids on changing tables in family restrooms and they won’t have it. They’ll scream bloody murder if we try putting them on the table.

Standing diaper changes are what we do if we’re out in public and can’t get to our car. These are uh not easy to do.

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

:v:

Mind_Taker posted:

Standing diaper changes

:catstare:

Kiddo's poops have started thickening up and I am shuddering in horror at the thought of changing one of those three-day-buildup-blowouts anywhere other than my perfectly apportioned nursery

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Fondly I remember standing changes in the family bathroom of the library while my daughter tried to reach out and touch the toilet

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

ChickenWing posted:

Kiddo's poops have started thickening up and I am shuddering in horror at the thought of changing one of those three-day-buildup-blowouts anywhere other than my perfectly apportioned nursery

#2 has sensory issues with pooping (if he goes in the toilet, he will see it and smell it and is petrified of seeing or smelling his own poop). He is on a full dose of Miralax every day, probiotic vitamins, and he still gets stopped up for weeks at a time. Nothing like opening the pullup to see a rock-hard turd the size of a baseball that just squeezed its way out of his poor little butt. It leaves the house smelling like a 77-year-old alcoholic man with Crohn's and IBS just had diarrhea in the middle of the living room.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

Brawnfire posted:

My husband is also an army vet that served under Bush who is now a dirty hippie liberal.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice
We have that tall Brabantia diaper bin, with those bin bags that have cute sayings on the like "ich bin ein binliner" and I've always just let it fill to the top. It's way too heavy for my wife to lift but I always take the trash and since it's designed for diapers I figured it can handle the weight. Hasn't been a problem in almost three years. Until the other day when the bottom just split right open and dumped used diapers everywhere. So used to poo poo at this point it didn't phase me. Just a big old Flintstones It's a Living bird moment.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Mind_Taker posted:

I’m interested to hear if this means changing them in their carseat, in which case I’d be impressed.

Usually we just change them in the trunk area of our SUV. Or if the trunk is full of stuff like when we’re on a road trip then we’ll change them in the passenger seat. But we’ve never changed them in the carseat.

ah no I should specify that we don't do them on the kiddo's car seat. I just meant, like, the car's literal seat where an adult would put their rear end. I hesitate to call it passenger seat because I prefer doing it in the back where there's more room. I bashed my kid's head on the e-break trying to do it in the front passenger seat, my car's pretty tight.

ChickenWing posted:

I only do these on wet diapers but even then they're really difficult. My cousin has perfected the standing diaper change and I have no idea how she does it. It's so difficult for me but when you have a squirming toddler sometimes it's the only way without a fight.

D34THROW posted:

#2 has sensory issues with pooping (if he goes in the toilet, he will see it and smell it and is petrified of seeing or smelling his own poop). He is on a full dose of Miralax every day, probiotic vitamins, and he still gets stopped up for weeks at a time. Nothing like opening the pullup to see a rock-hard turd the size of a baseball that just squeezed its way out of his poor little butt. It leaves the house smelling like a 77-year-old alcoholic man with Crohn's and IBS just had diarrhea in the middle of the living room.

Same here. Every poop is this dramatic screaming and crying fit that lasts for 30 minutes where he runs around and desperately holds it in until he can't any longer. And this is with so much mirilax it's borderline liquid. We haven't even considered doing poop in the potty because of it. And the smell. Oh god the smell.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001
I've done it in the kid's car seat--not the best idea.

Public diaper changes are fine. It's the "I pooped in my underwear" potty training phase that I mentally can't deal with. If he whispers it to me while we're still in daycare I'll take him to the bathroom to get it fixed. If he whispers it to me outside of daycare while getting into the car, I usually just shove him in the car and pray he's constipated enough that it'll hold together until we get home.

Emily Spinach
Oct 21, 2010

:)
It’s 🌿Garland🌿!😯😯😯 No…🙅 I am become😤 😈CHAOS👿! MMMMH😋 GHAAA😫
I've done one public diaper change with our six month old, when she was like two months old. We were at a museum with my mom and I went to do the diaper change in the bathroom while mom was still in an exhibit. Mom found us from baby's crying.

On a different note, what sort of swimsuit do you recommend for a baby? Rash guard + bottom to cover the swim diaper or a single piece? It seems to me that the best option is a zip up one piece suit, so we're not potentially trying to pull a wet rash guard over her head, but interested to hear the thoughts of folks who have dealt with this before.

boquiabierta
May 27, 2010

"I will throw my best friend an abortion party if she wants one"
We live in a big city and do not drive so we’ve never had to do the car change, but have used plenty of public restrooms. I have one of those storage things that opens up to a little mat and has pockets for wipes and diapers and cream. It’s not so bad.

We’re getting our little dude allergy tested right now for milk (cow’s milk protein allergy) and he failed the oral tolerance test 😭 did ok with the first two doses so apparently his allergy isn’t THAT bad but he started sneezing nonstop and his face got all red with the third dose and the doc had to give him an antihistamine and a steroid. Sucks.

Also we think he’s allergic to peanuts but the doc doesn’t even want to touch that one yet. I feel like we hosed up not giving him peanut butter consistently as soon as he could tolerate solids. We gave him some PB every once in a while, basically whenever we thought of it, and he seemed to tolerate it fine so we thought there was no issue. Then one day we gave him a whole bag of peanut puff snacks and he started coughing and we had to give him his rescue inhaler and now he has an epipen. And I just feel like we should’ve done a better job exposing him 😭

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

Emily Spinach posted:

I've done one public diaper change with our six month old, when she was like two months old. We were at a museum with my mom and I went to do the diaper change in the bathroom while mom was still in an exhibit. Mom found us from baby's crying.

On a different note, what sort of swimsuit do you recommend for a baby? Rash guard + bottom to cover the swim diaper or a single piece? It seems to me that the best option is a zip up one piece suit, so we're not potentially trying to pull a wet rash guard over her head, but interested to hear the thoughts of folks who have dealt with this before.

I've always had boys, but having a long sleeve top and a separate bottom has always been nice. Their skin is so sensitive you really want the extra protection. Having a separate bottom means diapers are easier to handle.

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

Uhh...one public diaper change ever? Every one of our 4, and I'm sure #5 will be the same, has been changed at least a dozen times in public by the time they potty train.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

I've rarely taken my 3 year old out due to covid until recently now that he can successfully wear a mask. I could see 2 years an younger kids barely having a lot of outings.

wizzardstaff
Apr 6, 2018

Zorch! Splat! Pow!
There's also a sampling bias with parents of kids about 3 and under, since having public diaper changes requires going out in public.

E: yes, exactly that! ^^^^

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
Not that we're talking about it but also please don't be complacent regarding having a normal diaper on in the water. Swim diapers are just there to catch the poop, so going diaperless into the pool is just calculating poop risk. If the choice is a regular diaper or no diaper, please go with no diaper. Normal diapers swell up to absurd levels and become extremely heavy, potentially dragging the kid down underwater. If the supervising adult has some kind of medical emergency or becomes incapacitated for whatever reason, it can be very very bad. We have a strict 2 adults present rule in the pool rule for that reason.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

My 3 1/2 year old has also not eaten at a restaurant since he was a baby. We'll probably try some outside dinning options as the weather turns nice. We're working on training him to behave in public since he hasn't had that sort of experience yet. We went to the outdoor farmers market last weekend and you'd think we took him to Disney World. Everything was amazing to him.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001
We took our son to a handful of restaurants during his first year. He was young enough that he mostly mesmerized by other people. Then COVID happened.

I won't eat in a restaurant. Or more accurately, I won't exist in an indoor public space without an N95 on, which makes it difficult to eat. Beyond that, I have a hard time imaging taking both kids to a restaurant, even a kid friendly casual place. They're just at the right age to cause trouble and not listen, and not understand why they're not being fed immediately. Maybe we'll try some outdoor seating over the summer where if they make a bit of a mess it's not as bad as an indoor mess.

The mask thing is funny too. My wife and I still wear masks everywhere. Our son is pretty good about it too. They lifted the city mandate a few weeks ago and--that's it, we're the only ones. Occasionally I'll see one other person out with a mask on but if there isn't some occupational requirement to continue wearing, nobody does it. Maybe we'll reevaluate the situation once the kids are (known) to be vaccinated but right now I don't have any trouble doing as we're doing.

I mean, it is a bit silly given that day care is our greatest exposure risk as evidence by all of us being totally flattened out last week from the flu. Ugh.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

The greatest type of restaurant to take a baby / toddler to is unfortunately a buffet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

Mind_Taker posted:

We’ve tried changing our kids on changing tables in family restrooms and they won’t have it. They’ll scream bloody murder if we try putting them on the table.

Standing diaper changes are what we do if we’re out in public and can’t get to our car. These are uh not easy to do.

Seriously, we also don’t have one of these magic children that tolerate a public changing table. Unless you change through the screaming, which yeah we’ve done once or twice only when absolutely necessary. Once they have that insane toddler strength to go along with the tantrum, it’s very difficult to change them. Another argument for potty training early I guess.