Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

Action Tortoise posted:

Also, I've been warned not to worry about clearing all the quests on the first run, but I know Imma be back on my poo poo with taking on every quest I see.

Do every quest you have the patience for, just dont force it. Even the most dedicated completionist will hit their limit at some point.

BioEnchanted posted:

I tend to do every sidequest if possible unless something discourages me - being unable to beat the second guy at Gwent in Witcher 3 put me off the card game for the rest of the playthrough for example.
Gwent is difficult at first (well more that its luck based). Once you get a couple of good cards it snowballs and you'll never lose.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jayme
Jul 16, 2008

Action Tortoise posted:

Also, I've been warned not to worry about clearing all the quests on the first run, but I know Imma be back on my poo poo with taking on every quest I see.

There is a point of no return for sidequests, however - there's a time-skip, and each New Game+ starts at that point (so there's no going back to the first time period). Just a heads-up if you're planning on being a completionist!

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔

Jayme posted:

There is a point of no return for sidequests, however - there's a time-skip, and each New Game+ starts at that point (so there's no going back to the first time period). Just a heads-up if you're planning on being a completionist!
Also, don't be like me thinking "okay, there is an obvious timeskip coming and I have 49% of sidequests done, I'll grind out the last one and be safe" - there's loving 51% of the sidequests in the first half of the game! Cavia!

RyokoTK posted:

What I remember most about D2 zoonecro is Nightmare Andariel using that poison spray attack once, killing all of my skeletons simultaneously, and me not having any means to kill the boss. Act bosses had huge bonuses against minions.

It was fun but definitely not useful.
When I first got my hands on D2, I didn't use the internet regularly, so I just played it fresh out the box, making it version 1.04 or something, a later print run basically. This meant that my character of choice, the Necromancer, wasn't really good at Necroing - I somehow got into Hell, but mostly by having my Fire Golem suicide repeatedly on enemies, damaging them in the explosion. This ate more than half my mana per cast, so I had to wait a long time for it to regenerate just to kill one single enemy. This one would then get revived and hopefully kill another. It was bad. Skeletons were plentiful but completely useless.

Then I patched the game after half a year or so of playing it, and immediately jumped to Patch 1.10, which massively overhauled the skill system, for example making it so that if you skilled the most basic fire shot as well as the more advanced fire ball, the latter would get bonuses from the first skill, making it stronger in the endgame and giving you a reason to pump skills that weren't the one you were planning on using anyway. Up to that patch, every point not in your main skill was wasted for you, like you'd have to play for 18 levels with a single point in the basic fire projectile until you finally unlocked Fire Ball and could start pumping that. After 1.10 you could just put 5-10 points in the basic poo poo and immediately have a stronger fireball after unlocking it.

Similarly, skeletons were boosted to an absurd compared to before; they now almost never died, with enough +skills from your equipment you could have up to 27 of them without struggling much, and their damage was actually fairly respectable. I played a lot of summon necros and it's a top-tier build if you can get the gear for them - hell, even if you don't have the really good stuff, it's still fine. Admittedly, every Necro only wants the first corpse [after summoning or not] to start a crazy explosion chain, but getting there BY skeletons is just real fun. Super pro strat: get a staff in your second weapon slot with Teleport charges (or cheat/grind like a madman for the Enigma runeword, I guess) and just plop yourself AND your entire army on the thing you want to be the first corpse. Shredded in milliseconds.

Super extra pro strat: get a Mercenary equipped with a weapon that gives him crushing blow, which deals %maxlife damage, and have him be the one who actually deals most damage to your first corpse-giver, and bosses. It's still a minion build!!! Extra super bonus strat: cheat or grind for the weapon that has crushing blow AND an Aura that reduces enemy defense.

Summon Necros were super good after 1.10, yo.

Dragging down part: why the gently caress is Raise Skeletons now apparently limited to only 8 at max? Did they change it again at some point after I stopped playing (like only five years ago...? I loving love D2 okay)? What's the point of Necro if not having the HUGEST ARMY?

scarycave
Oct 9, 2012

Dominic Beegan:
Exterminator For Hire

Action Tortoise posted:

I'm playing Nier for the first time after playing Nier: Automata.

It's pretty cool that the control scheme is more or less the same from both games. I can bridge the games mechanically because of it, but playing Automata first really makes me notice the difference in feel between games. Nier's combat is janky and he takes a while to switch directions while running. Boars steer like tanks. Dodging kinda has i-frames, but sometimes doesn't.

I know it's not fair to compare an old game with its much-improved sequel, but I'm pretty sure I'd feel the same way without experiencing Automata.

I did every quest but a certain special one that involves farming on my first play through. You can do it, and I really don't see why you shouldn't try at least since the money is usually worth your time or that the stories get really depressing or rarely funny and are worth seeing.

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

BioEnchanted posted:

I tend to do every sidequest if possible unless something discourages me - being unable to beat the second guy at Gwent in Witcher 3 put me off the card game for the rest of the playthrough for example.
If you're talking about that guy in the palace at Vizima, he's kind of a dick move on the game's part. I don't know if it's literally impossible to beat him the first time you play--he could get a really lovely hand I suppose--but the odds are way against you. Making him literally the second playable opponent in the game is just baffling. You're supposed to come back when you have your perfect deck and wipe the floor with him.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

scarycave posted:

I did every quest but a certain special one that involves farming on my first play through. You can do it, and I really don't see why you shouldn't try at least since the money is usually worth your time or that the stories get really depressing or rarely funny and are worth seeing.

yeah, the writing is what kept me going for Automata's sidequests. They're all fetchquests of some sort but the context around them gave them a charm i haven't seen in other games.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

Action Tortoise posted:

yeah, the writing is what kept me going for Automata's sidequests. They're all fetchquests of some sort but the context around them gave them a charm i haven't seen in other games.

Are they still as self aware as the original NieR's sidequests, where half the dialogue from your character was "why the gently caress am i doing this poo poo"?

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

Slime posted:

Are they still as self aware as the original NieR's sidequests, where half the dialogue from your character was "why the gently caress am i doing this poo poo"?

less so that iirc (that would wear thin on me after a while), but more that completing a quest could make the world a little more worse than if you never involved yourself. it wasn't always bleak, there was a balance between good and bad outcomes and it never felt like it tried to be edgy. and the fact that it's mostly text with some musical cues to denote a change in tone is more effective at having an emotional impact than a western rpg where the camera pulls in real close for cinematic voiced dialog that could go either way in terms of quality.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Tiggum posted:

Like, is it better to get the helmet with +3 defence or the one with a slightly higher armour rating?

Usually I can just wing it when it comes to offense, because if poo poo is dying then I guess I made the right choice between 20 DPS +3% crit chance and 18 DPS +10% fire damage, but games with diverse defense types that don't explain them drive me up the wall. Defense, armor, protection, block, dodge, physical, magical, aaaaaaaa

Thoughtless
Feb 1, 2007

Doesn't think, just types.
So, NewDoom. I feel like the game elements aren't really meshing well. Half of the game wants you to go fast and murder everything, while the second wants you to carefully explore each level to find secrets, upgrades and bits of lore. I like doing both of these things, but not simultaneously.

It doesn't help that some levels have points of no return so you can't blast through a level and then explore it, you have to murder -> explore area before moving on for every part of the level.

Spek
Jun 15, 2012

Bagel!

Simply Simon posted:

Dragging down part: why the gently caress is Raise Skeletons now apparently limited to only 8 at max? Did they change it again at some point after I stopped playing (like only five years ago...? I loving love D2 okay)? What's the point of Necro if not having the HUGEST ARMY?

It's not, whomever said that was just looking at how many you get at slvl20. +skills still gives more. They changed it from 1:1 ratio of skill points:skeletons back when they buffed the skeletons but you still get 3 at skill level 3 and then 1 every third level after. Since a reasonably well geared high level character is probably going to exceed +10 or +13 to skills you're looking at 12/13, maybe even 14 skeletons if you've got basically perfect gear. And of course double that if you use skeleton mages as well. And revives are still 1:1 per skill point so you're looking at 30+ max revives, though as they only last 3 minutes you'll probably not keep that many alive permanently unless you're really trying to(& have access to teleport since a lot of the revived monsters don't follow you correctly, and while the game sometimes rubber bands them to you when you get too far away sometimes it despawns them instead, god alone knows which it'll choose any given time).

Things dragging D2 down to me: I've played the game probably a month or more every year since it came out and there are still builds I want to try that I haven't been able to because they'd require large amounts of absurdly rare runes. I wanna play with all the stupid broken runewords but rarely manage to get more than a couple high runes any given ladder season and always end up going "well I could make that neat item I've always wanted to try, or I could make that other item that I know is excellent" and ultimately choose the latter. Other thing dragging it down: both the rune word system and the synergies still feel half-implemented. Synergies especially, there are way too many skills that have none, and even entire skill tabs that have none. Rune words I remember Blizzard saying way back in 1.10 or 1.11 or something that they'd made it so they could add new rune words without needing a whole new patch but then they never took advantage of that. I half wonder if my memory invented that now.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
I impulse bought Farming Simulator 17, since I dug 15 as a podcast accompaniment, and there's at least one short-term annoyance and a longer-term one that fit this thread:

First, I had to look up a video on how to complete a tutorial level. The level tells you to use this device to shoot hay into a barn, but doesn't tell you how to do it. It wasn't until I looked it up on YouTube that I learned that this red block is actually a pipe I have to activate. No "hey, press this button to activate the pipe" or "hey, you have to drive counter clockwise to the waypoint because the identical red block on the left side isn't a pipe". This is what tutorials are for!

Secondly, there's a slight change to fertilizing fields. Not only do you have to do it three times (and the tutorial is generic about when you're supposed to do it), there's not as a contrasted difference between Not Ferilized and Ferilized.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

John Murdoch posted:

Usually I can just wing it when it comes to offense, because if poo poo is dying then I guess I made the right choice between 20 DPS +3% crit chance and 18 DPS +10% fire damage, but games with diverse defense types that don't explain them drive me up the wall. Defense, armor, protection, block, dodge, physical, magical, aaaaaaaa

One great thing about Diablo 3 is that it summarizes all your stats as damage, toughness and recovery, and you don't have to pay much attention past that until you're well on your way into the endgame grind.

Captain Lavender
Oct 21, 2010

verb the adjective noun

It's not Fallout New Vegas's fault really, but the first time I played it, I did Unarmed into eventually getting the Power Fist and I had so much fun. So much so, that I can't enjoy the gameplay at all with any other build. I was wanting to go back and try the game another way.

I guess it's not really the place to ask, but does anyone have their own gimmick build or way of playing that's really satisfying? Like if I heard throwing explosives exclusively could work, I'd probably try that; that kinda thing.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX

Captain Lavender posted:

I guess it's not really the place to ask, but does anyone have their own gimmick build or way of playing that's really satisfying? Like if I heard throwing explosives exclusively could work, I'd probably try that; that kinda thing.

I got you. I'm just gonna list some fallout 4 perks here:

Pain Train at lvl1 STR 10 Choo Choo! All aboard! While wearing Power Armor,sprinting into enemies hurts and staggers them. (Robots and oversized enemies are immune to the stagger.)
Pain Train at lvl3 STR 10 Sprinting into enemies while wearing Power Armor now causes massive damage and knocks them down. Impact landing near enemies inflicts even more damage.

Rooted at lvl3 STR 9 While standing still, you may automatically disarm enemies that use melee weapons against you.

Those are all high level perks so it's kinda like taking candy from a baby that was stolen from you.

In NV you either go melee for similar but more varied experience but explosives are easy to abuse on really low level. Otherwise it's shootymctooty.

F4 EDIT:
Big Leagues at lvl5 STR 2 You now do double damage with a melee weapon, and gain a chance to cripple your opponent, or grand slam their head clean off!

Vic has a new favorite as of 02:09 on Jul 26, 2017

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
I like energy weapons for the bright colours. Otherwise, yeah, unarmed is the most fun, with an automatic rifle or SMG on hand for cazadors.

For a fun playthrough, mix up your stats! Take these traits: Claustrophobia, Early Bird

Then take these perks, which all modify your stats under certain conditions.

Night Person
Solar Powered
Atomic
Alertness
Walker Insinct

Get addicted to every drug and never know for sure what your SPECIAL is!

Also take Rad Child and Eye For Eye, which incentivise getting crippled limbs and radiation sickness

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Captain Lavender posted:

It's not Fallout New Vegas's fault really, but the first time I played it, I did Unarmed into eventually getting the Power Fist and I had so much fun. So much so, that I can't enjoy the gameplay at all with any other build. I was wanting to go back and try the game another way.

New Vegas does a really good job making Unarmed a viable playthrough for everything in the game but there was one part where there's a guy up on a ledge in a destroyed church that you cannot physically get to and is too far away for your VATS teleport to reach him.

Also a lot of the really powerful Unarmed perks require you to sink a bunch of skill points into Melee and other completely unrelated skills in a way that is pretty clumsy and counter-intuitive without a guide.

Captain Lavender
Oct 21, 2010

verb the adjective noun

Thanks y'all

2house2fly posted:

I like energy weapons for the bright colours. Otherwise, yeah, unarmed is the most fun, with an automatic rifle or SMG on hand for cazadors.

For a fun playthrough, mix up your stats! Take these traits: Claustrophobia, Early Bird

Then take these perks, which all modify your stats under certain conditions.

Night Person
Solar Powered
Atomic
Alertness
Walker Insinct

Get addicted to every drug and never know for sure what your SPECIAL is!

Also take Rad Child and Eye For Eye, which incentivise getting crippled limbs and radiation sickness

This especially sounds amazing. New Vegas actually sounds like the type of game where intentionally crippling your build would be rewarding.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

Guy Mann posted:

New Vegas does a really good job making Unarmed a viable playthrough for everything in the game but there was one part where there's a guy up on a ledge in a destroyed church that you cannot physically get to and is too far away for your VATS teleport to reach him.

Also a lot of the really powerful Unarmed perks require you to sink a bunch of skill points into Melee and other completely unrelated skills in a way that is pretty clumsy and counter-intuitive without a guide.

That's fallout 3 (the church sniper part). And unless you really don't want to use firearms at all ever, using a gun to kill stuff is super easy since you've been saving so much ammo.

Vic has a new favorite as of 03:19 on Jul 26, 2017

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

Captain Lavender posted:

Thanks y'all

This especially sounds amazing. New Vegas actually sounds like the type of game where intentionally crippling your build would be rewarding.

It's gonna be the same game, it's a player imposed challenge. Fun if you're into that kinda thing.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

Vic posted:

It's gonna be the same game, it's a player imposed challenge. Fun if you're into that kinda thing.

i do this with mgsv and only carrying a water pistol

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Yooka Laylee I am already accommodating you to over look your faults as an alternate dimension Banjo Kazooie 3 where Rare was allowed to be completely creatively bankrupt but why is your camera so bad? Did no one ever once playtest the very first tutorial area and realize it hitches constantly, gets stuck, and moves at uneven speeds making doing the core gameplay an exercise in frustration?

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔

Barudak posted:

Yooka Laylee I am already accommodating you to over look your faults as an alternate dimension Banjo Kazooie 3 where Rare was allowed to be completely creatively bankrupt but why is your camera so bad? Did no one ever once playtest the very first tutorial area and realize it hitches constantly, gets stuck, and moves at uneven speeds making doing the core gameplay an exercise in frustration?
I also recently started playing Yooka-Laylee the first time and was wondering why everyone complained about the camera, then I realized I still played it like the Banjo games: constantly pressing R1/RB to center it behind me, or even keep it pressed depending on the situation. It makes sense considering its history that the developers still think that's the BEST way to do camera work and kind of neglect the whole modern right-stick thing. Have you tried using that?

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

Simply Simon posted:

I also recently started playing Yooka-Laylee the first time and was wondering why everyone complained about the camera, then I realized I still played it like the Banjo games: constantly pressing R1/RB to center it behind me, or even keep it pressed depending on the situation. It makes sense considering its history that the developers still think that's the BEST way to do camera work and kind of neglect the whole modern right-stick thing. Have you tried using that?

wtf, ex-Rare devs.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

Playing hollow knight and generally enjoying it but I hate the 'lose everything when you die' poo poo. It's just entirely lifted from dark souls and I don't know what it's supposed to add to the experience here.

Zinkraptor
Apr 24, 2012

Agent355 posted:

Playing hollow knight and generally enjoying it but I hate the 'lose everything when you die' poo poo. It's just entirely lifted from dark souls and I don't know what it's supposed to add to the experience here.

At least in Hollow Knight, geo is ONLY good as money, and it becomes so plentiful that you will soon hit a point where you have more than you know what to do with. It's kind of a pointless mechanic after that, but I guess it adds some tension, even if it doesn't really matter.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

Zinkraptor posted:

At least in Hollow Knight, geo is ONLY good as money, and it becomes so plentiful that you will soon hit a point where you have more than you know what to do with. It's kind of a pointless mechanic after that, but I guess it adds some tension, even if it doesn't really matter.

It's also pretty easy to kill your shade. I think i got hit once by a shade

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Simply Simon posted:

I will try this, but thats pretty rear end backwards and Im not sure itll fix really basic things like "camera refuses to rotate through solid objects so it sometimes just wont move" or "for this one platforming area we are going to lock the camera at such an awkward angle and so close in on Yooka that you cant see where youre ultimate jumping to in the puzzle"

U.T. Raptor
May 11, 2010

Are you a pack of imbeciles!?

I beat Knack and I wish the titular character didn't have such a gigantic goddamn hitbox (it's not as much of a problem when he's small, but the bigger he gets the worse it becomes), because a lot of the time I'd dodge when the game prompted me to and still get hit because his arm or something was still in the path of the attack. Honestly, the hitboxes in the game were just wonky in general.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.
I'm playing Kingdom Hearts: Final Mix and the camera is a but wonky. It's nothing too serious, but enough that it can get pretty annoying. It doesn't help the combat is a bit smoother in the sequel, but I knew that coming into it.

And I'll be playing the Final Mix of KH2 when I finish the first, anyway, so I'll be back to the smooth before too long.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
In Diablo 3, you can talk with all the characters in your camp. Whenever they have a new conversation you haven't heard before, a blue * appears above their heads.

In adventure mode, where you're free to go anywhere and do anything, there are a few characters hanging out to talk about adventure mode specific stuff, and unlike the story mode conversations, the blue star reappears and the conversations un-grey out every time you start a new adventure mode game.

I can't make the blue star go away. I want it to go away. :cry:

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

ilmucche posted:

It's also pretty easy to kill your shade. I think i got hit once by a shade

A bigger danger is your shade just drifting out of range while the strong enemies that kicked your rear end, kick it again. Like, the whole shade thing doesn't really add anything to the gameplay and at most points you're better off just reloading instead of trying to get back to something that killed you with a handicap.

Dr Christmas posted:

I can't make the blue star go away. I want it to go away. :cry:
Hello nephelim, let me tell you about bounties.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

In Sherlock Holmes the devils daughter, you have to solve a gear puzzle. The game says to connect the gears across three levels of height. That's all. I can't tell the heights or why some things work and others don't. There is no help or explanation for this in game. I looked up a video after 20 minutes. Maybe it's really simple and I just missed something but the gear puzzle in Sherlock Holmes: the Devils Daughter made me mad.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

All you had to do was connect the gears CJ

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Sherlock Holmes Crimes and Punishments which I think is the game before it is mostly good but every now and then there's a puzzle segment (which is skippable usually) and while it's mostly fine some are interminably long.

One of them has you do a full-on Indiana Jones switch puzzle in an ancient Roman temple in Britain and it's totally unskippable and takes a long-rear end time and adds nothing to the experience of being Sherlock.

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

:dehumanize:
:killing:
:dehumanize:
Devil's Daughter has that too, except you're actually playing as Sherlock Holmes looking at a tiny scale model of a temple and imagining he's navigating the made-up traps inside in order to find the secret treasure which is where the tiny hidden switch is on the scale model. You go through something like four stock temple puzzles and QTE traps to do this and I think he's doing it to get a letter or a photo.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
The character artwork in Ertian Odysey 4 is so skeevy that even the guy who designed Etna in Disgaea would tell them to maybe tone it down a bit; It's like some weird version of World of Warcraft's sexual dimorphism where every male looks like an actual adult and every female looks like a sexualized child.

The dancer class is especially :pedo:

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Guy Mann posted:

The character artwork in Ertian Odysey 4 is so skeevy that even the guy who designed Etna in Disgaea would tell them to maybe tone it down a bit; It's like some weird version of World of Warcraft's sexual dimorphism where every male looks like an actual adult and every female looks like a sexualized child.
They didn't even really try, did they? The only real difference between all the female characters is their hair and outfits. Meanwhile all of the male characters have a variety of different shapes.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

Guy Mann posted:

The dancer class is especially :pedo:

https://i.imgur.com/EX4xJy3l.jpg

are those poofy chaps or crotcheless aladdin pants?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Just a heads up to people who lament Dark Soul's lack of a pause button: you can hit quit to title in the pause menu and it actually just suspends the game, only downside is you can't access your inventory. So if you just wanted to walk away for a moment without worrying about being invaded or killed by a wandering enemy, you can quit to title and it will save exactly where you are and won't respawn any enemies/move you to a checkpoint, you'll just pick up exactly where you left off. Way less intuitive than a normal pause menu, but still available for unexpected interruptions