Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Volmarias posted:

Now that I think about it, how many people are actually enticed by "exclusive wallpapers"?

They call those NFTs now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

the dev team is super out of touch with their users, which is why their marketshare has dropped from 30+ percent down to 4%

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

All they need to do is advertise the fact they have an adblocker that works on mobile, but instead they've done everything they can to get rid of mobile plugins entirely

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

IShallRiseAgain posted:

Yes, its a new pixar movie, and on a fresh start-up of firefox today it showed the ad. It really reeks of Disney Marketing department offering them a bunch of money, and Firefox deciding it was worth making their users angry for the big paycheck.

Well, that's horseapples, smooth move Firefox team.

I was aware of some entirely different controversy about the movie (link is to a CBC article), where the managing director of Cinemablend wrote a review incorporating an old racist trope, suggesting that because it was about a 13 year old Canadian-born Chinese girl in Toronto that it was unrelatable.

Sean O'Connell posted:

"I recognized the humour in the film, but connected with none of it," O'Connell wrote in his review. 

"By rooting Turning Red very specifically in the Asian community of Toronto, the film legitimately feels like it was made for Domee Shi's friends and immediate family members. Which is fine — but also, a tad limiting in its scope."

Marcade
Jun 11, 2006

Who are you to glizzy gobble El Vago's marshmussy?

Shouldn't have accused them of pandaing, frankly.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Phy posted:

I was aware of some entirely different controversy about the movie (link is to a CBC article), where the managing director of Cinemablend wrote a review incorporating an old racist trope, suggesting that because it was about a 13 year old Canadian-born Chinese girl in Toronto that it was unrelatable.

Maybe I'm the weird one, but I find specificity to be more relatable, even if the specifics aren't my specifics--if that makes any sense.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Phy posted:

Lol at the "apology". No, dude, I don't think the problem was you not adequately explaining your point of view :jerkbag:

El Fideo
Jun 10, 2016

I trusted a rhino and deserve all that came to me

Amazing, "I find talking fish more universally relatable than asian women."

Zonko_T.M.
Jul 1, 2007

I'm not here to fuck spiders!

By rooting the story in a specific collection of toys, I was simply unable to connect with any of the characters. I am not nor do I know anyone who has been a stuffed cowboy doll or a delusional astronaut.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Marcade posted:

Booo

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Marcade posted:

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Marcade posted:

These posts are really unbearable.

mactheknife
Jul 20, 2004

THE JOLLY CANDY-LIKE BUTTON

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

Admiral Joeslop posted:

These posts are really unbearable.

Red Pandas aren't bears :mad:

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

cptn_dr posted:

You can't weasel your way out of this.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...
This derail is a Grizzly sight!

:dadjoke:

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Admiral Joeslop posted:

You can't weasel your way out of this.

that's not really ermine to the discussion.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
Reading all this I’m not sure what to mink of it all

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

flavor.flv posted:

All they need to do is advertise the fact they have an adblocker that works on mobile, but instead they've done everything they can to get rid of mobile plugins entirely

For that matter it would be nice if their mobile version even worked properly. I constantly lose tab state even with just one tab active if I even go back to my home screen and straight back into Firefox, which really doesn't work out with... any use case for a browser. I'd switch instantly if they'd just fix tab states. Until then I'm stuck with Chrome, because at least its absolute basics work.

Also, were people actually bothered? I just immediately closed the tab and moved on. Forgot it even happened till I looked at this thread.

Marcade
Jun 11, 2006

Who are you to glizzy gobble El Vago's marshmussy?

Having red the room, I admit my pun was not of sufficient koala-ty.

Le Faye Morgaine
Feb 1, 2022
I'm glad pandas have found communism

Smets
Nov 4, 2009

cptn_dr posted:

You deserve an ape-ology

The Merkinman
Apr 22, 2007

I sell only quality merkins. What is a merkin you ask? Why, it's a wig for your genitals!

flavor.flv posted:

:thunk:

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GISsou_vaos
it's been in the thread before but still

who came up with this?!

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

Missing the very important “Paul F Tompkins saying WHAT THE gently caress over it”

https://mobile.twitter.com/pftompkins/status/848982344111280130?lang=en

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Lumbermouth posted:

Missing the very important “Paul F Tompkins saying WHAT THE gently caress over it”

:hmmyes:

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Lumbermouth posted:

I watched it without sound first to see what the deal was, and gratifyingly, the part where I went "what the gently caress?" was the "WHAT THE gently caress" part, practically to the second

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Also rather cheesed at Crappy Tire somehow getting their hands on the rights to Ahead By A Century. I don't recall any Hip songs being used for ads when Gord Downie was still alive, though I could be wrong

Goddamn that is one of the more Canadian sentences I've ever said :canada:

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Yeah, they didn't need to use the Hip, there are plenty of bands who are all still alive, despite being older

Could have been Willie Nelson, for example. Or it could have been the Wine (by which I of course mean what fans call Halifax band April Wine)

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Phy posted:

I highly recommend the panda film and I am neither Asian or Canadian. I wonder if part of it is because the main characters are all tweenage girls doing tweenage girl things but he was worried that "I couldn't empathise with them because I'm a dude" would read even worse than "I couldn't empathise with them because I'm white"

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Splicer posted:

I highly recommend the panda film and I am neither Asian or Canadian. I wonder if part of it is because the main characters are all tweenage girls doing tweenage girl things but he was worried that "I couldn't empathise with them because I'm a dude" would read even worse than "I couldn't empathise with them because I'm white"

Oh, no, he was all in on both angles

https://twitter.com/TaraOComics/status/1501304166265901059

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica
they should do a commercial from the other perspective of the person who sees a football land in their yard, and they imagine an automated turret activating to gun down whoever enters the premises, invisible or not. Camera cuts to grown-up neighbor grinning while they complete their massive blueprint draft of a heatguided auto-firing gun turret

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

flavor.flv posted:

Yeah, they didn't need to use the Hip, there are plenty of bands who are all still alive, despite being older

Could have been Willie Nelson, for example. Or it could have been the Wine (by which I of course mean what fans call Halifax band April Wine)

gdi

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
ahahaha gross

impossiboobs
Oct 2, 2006

flavor.flv posted:

:five:

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

https://twitter.com/dinfontay/status/1503766565157838857

So yeah, I can think of better ways to advertise your VR experience than inducing PTSD.

HerStuddMuffin
Aug 10, 2014

YOSPOS
Also sounds like a weird premise. You “survive” by waiting 27 hours in pitch blackness without food or drink? I’m not a VR expert but you don’t need any fancy gizmos to do that, although you should probably do it under medical supervision, if you’re going to do it at all.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

You don't need medical supervision to not eat it drink for a day lol.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

flavor.flv posted:

:drat:

I saw the panda movie on the weekend. I enjoyed it. My wife adored it.

It wasn't 1:1 relatable for her, but it's the closest I've seen any movie ever come. Like, she would have been older than the protagonist was in 2002, she lived in Markham instead of Toronto's Actual Chinatown, I've never known her to transmogrify into a giant fuzzy animal of any sort. But there were bits of her mom in the mom, bits of her dad in the dad, bits of her friends in the friends. I've had dim sum with those aunties. The warm, dawn-lit pastel hues of Toronto's brick houses looked the way her memories look.

I'll take that over another ten movies directly addressing my own experiences. Watching it with her was like being privileged to experience a slice of her life before I was ever present in it.

Also she thought the panda was really really cute.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Gaius Marius posted:

You don't need medical supervision to not eat it drink for a day lol.

Just yesterday, I was told that it was unhealthy to go three hours without drinking.