Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Typically it's a much darker story when we see Batman firing a gun and laughing hysterically.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Hawkmans face is freaking me out.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Zil posted:

Hawkmans face is freaking me out.

In the Golden Age, "Hawkman" was actually the mask and it controlled Carter Hall's body whenever he worse it, and whenever he took it off he had no memory of anything that happened when when he was wearing it.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Wheat Loaf posted:

In the Golden Age, "Hawkman" was actually the mask and it controlled Carter Hall's body whenever he worse it, and whenever he took it off he had no memory of anything that happened when when he was wearing it.

I don't know about you, but if I kept having blackouts every time I wore a weird bird mask, I'd stop wearing it.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Kwyndig posted:

I don't know about you, but if I kept having blackouts every time I wore a weird bird mask, I'd stop wearing it.

You are not going to the good orgies, obviously.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

Kwyndig posted:

What else would we do on weekends though?

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

Proteus Jones posted:

And also, because it's just a thing I have to do, I checked and you can see Supes concealing the pie in the 1st panel.
I figured Golden Age Superman was just using his Super Pie-Conjuring power.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Snackmar
Feb 23, 2005

I'M PROGRAMMED TO LOVE THIS CHOCOLATY CAKE... MY CIRCUITS LIGHT UP FOR THAT FUDGY ICING.
My new favourite thing, from Marvel Super Hero Adventures #1 (2018)

Works in every version of JJJ's voice!

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Snackmar posted:

My new favourite thing, from Marvel Super Hero Adventures #1 (2018)

Works in every version of JJJ's voice!

I see this writer has never seen a naked mole rat. They are every bit as ugly as the name makes them out to be.

John Dyne
Jul 3, 2005

Well, fuck. Really?

Grendels Dad posted:

I see this writer has never seen a naked mole rat. They are every bit as ugly as the name makes them out to be.

psst it's 'J. Jonah's Believe it or Not'

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/Ssnyder1835/status/1060343377697427456

When Jarro's not on the page, the other characters should be asking "Where's Jarro?"

Pacra
Aug 5, 2004

Lobok posted:

Typically it's a much darker story when we see Batman firing a gun and laughing hysterically.

Maelstache
Feb 25, 2013

gOTTA gO fAST

Sentinel Red posted:

Now I think about it, The Evil Dead used to staight up banned, I’m sure of it. That, Driller Killer and a host of others that you’re just as likely to find showing on Horror on any given weeknight now. I want to say The Texas Chainsaw Massacre too, even but not entirely sure. The Exorcist was basically only viewable at repository cinemas for years, it didn’t get cleared for home release until the mid/late 90s I think. God, he was such a tosser.

Even in the 90s they were still liable to freak out. Tarantino sent them into fits of apoplexy, Reservoir Dogs and Natural Born Killers got a load of heat. A lot of it was due to media shitstirring, there was one film critic in particular, Alexander Walker of the London Evening Standard, who was always getting outraged over something or other. Oh god, the fuss over A Clockwork Orange, hah.

Region locked DVDs/BluRays aren’t so much of a thing these days. The main reason for bothering is to get hold of special Criterion editions, obscure releases that no one bothers to release in the region, or if something did get censored but like I said, since Ferman quit, things have been immeasurably better on that front.

To be fair to Ferman, it wasn't him leading the banning(except for The Exorcist, he really hated that one), it was mainly Mary Whitehouse and the sanctimonious windbags of The National Viewers and Listeners Association who actually pressed for certain videos to be prosecuted under the the Obscene Publications Act (legislation drafted in 1959, which shows how relevant it was to the VHS age). Following this, any films sold or rented had to be classified by the BBFC of which Ferman was the director, and it was his peculiar whims that decided what would get censored or not.

A Clockwork Orange was an unusual case as it was actually Kubrick himself that withdrew it from circulation, as he feared real-life imitation of the violence in the film. Up until his death the only way to see it in the UK was to import from the US or find someone with an nth generation pirate copy.

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Edit: Wrong thread

Murdstone fucked around with this message at 22:55 on Nov 9, 2018

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
The Rockette-eer.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty

Maelstache posted:

To be fair to Ferman, it wasn't him leading the banning(except for The Exorcist, he really hated that one), it was mainly Mary Whitehouse and the sanctimonious windbags of The National Viewers and Listeners Association who actually pressed for certain videos to be prosecuted under the the Obscene Publications Act (legislation drafted in 1959, which shows how relevant it was to the VHS age). Following this, any films sold or rented had to be classified by the BBFC of which Ferman was the director, and it was his peculiar whims that decided what would get censored or not.

A Clockwork Orange was an unusual case as it was actually Kubrick himself that withdrew it from circulation, as he feared real-life imitation of the violence in the film. Up until his death the only way to see it in the UK was to import from the US or find someone with an nth generation pirate copy.

Though some of Ferman's personal peccadilloes were just plain bizarre. His hate-on for ninjas and nunchucks in particular are why the Teenage Mutant Hero Turtles are a thing. Also, he was less strict, but hated any mention of "Chainsaws" in film titles.

The reason he hated The Exorcist was because of Reagan's age. He had the idea that if a movie had a child as a main character, kids would be more attracted to it regardless of the subject matter.

ManiacClown
May 30, 2002

Gone, gone, O honky man,
And rise the M.C. Etrigan!

Maelstache posted:

As far as I'd ever read he requested it not be shown there because he was embarrassed that he didn't know about the 21st chapter and therefore didn't adapt the complete work.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

ManiacClown posted:

As far as I'd ever read he requested it not be shown there because he was embarrassed that he didn't know about the 21st chapter and therefore didn't adapt the complete work.

I've seen the movie but never read the book and I've heard conflicting stories about that 21st chapter being added later, or just being take out for certain editions. What actually happens in it?

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
He gets a bit older and grows out of it.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Skwirl posted:

I've seen the movie but never read the book and I've heard conflicting stories about that 21st chapter being added later, or just being take out for certain editions. What actually happens in it?

What happened was that US publishers said that American audiences wouldn't buy the final chapter and convinced Burgess to release a version without it. Kubrick read the American version first and had written most of the screenplay before finding out about the actual ending of the book, he didn't really care for it when he did read it so that's why it was omitted in the movie.

But yes, the final chapter of the book was Alex going out for a night of the ole ultraviolence with a new crew but he decides his heart isn't in it, especially after he meets up with the other member of his old crew who had at this point settled down.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦
The book ending was a nice philosophical note to end on, which was that even the most extreme dumb punk gets tired of it eventually.

The movie was a weird-rear end gut punch where you find yourself wrapped up in how elated Alex is to be “free” again and then you go “...wait a minute actually this isn’t good at all! :gonk:

I think each worked better in its own medium. That’s a rough story to try to conclude no matter what.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

:nws:https://i.imgur.com/MntUNmx.jpg:nws:

Somebody fucked around with this message at 16:50 on Nov 12, 2018

lllllllllllllllllll
Feb 28, 2010

Now the scene's lighting is perfect!
It's Conan who should've slipped.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012
Conan has tons of experience fighting in fresh blood, he hasn't slipped in YEARS.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
Pls don't post unspoilered tiddie in the panels threads thx.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
I didn't even notice them until you pointed it out.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Samuringa posted:

How can you look at anyone but Conan in any panel Conan is present?

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

How can you look at anyone but Conan in any panel Conan is present?

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
When Conan isn't on-panel, everyone should be asking "Where's Conan?"

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Because you turn your back on him for two seconds and he's prying the jeweled eyes out of your wall decorations.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

He's a scamp, that Conan

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.

Samuringa posted:

Same, the weirdo pile of monster mulch in the background had all my attention.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Toshimo posted:

Pls don't post unspoilered tiddie in the panels threads thx.

Legit didn't even notice it, hey

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Proteus Jones fucked around with this message at 19:51 on Nov 12, 2018

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Of all the threads in this forum, this is not the one for that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

X-O posted:

Of all the threads in this forum, this is not the one for that.

OK, it's gone