Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
In the Trumplord Holy Land

Sickening posted:

Its funny to me that nahiri is 20 bucks now basically from sporadic eternal play.

From the testing I've been doing, Nahiri only needs one more red madness spell of Fiery Temper playability to be a really good Standard card

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

ButtWolf posted:

Oh man. Ive never seen this. I like infect too.

I'm actually fairly indifferent on normal infect but the monoblue build in that tournament was a really cool design, although that might be because in a sucker for Tolaria West engines.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

stinkles1112 posted:

From the testing I've been doing, Nahiri only needs one more red madness spell of Fiery Temper playability to be a really good Standard card

She was so underrated that now she's overrated.

ButtWolf
Dec 30, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Have i been using Brains wrong? If i have 5 counters i can only play a spell thats 5 cmc nothing lower? Thats what a kid just told me and it seems dumb. Hes wrong right?

Sestze
Jun 6, 2004

Cybernetic Crumb
If you have 4 counters on brains, you tap 1 and tap brains and add a charge counter. You may then play an instant or sorcery for 5 CMC without paying its mana cost. Not less than 5 CMC, ONLY 5 CMC

Next turn, you can charge brains and play a six cost for free. No less or more than 6 CMC. ONLY 6 CMC Etc.

Kraus
Jan 17, 2008

ButtWolf posted:

Have i been using Brains wrong? If i have 5 counters i can only play a spell thats 5 cmc nothing lower? Thats what a kid just told me and it seems dumb. Hes wrong right?

(1), T: Put a charge counter on Brain in a Jar, then you may cast an instant or sorcery card with converted mana cost EQUAL TO THE NUMBER OF CHARGE COUNTERS on Brain in a Jar from your hand without paying its mana cost.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Sickening posted:

Its funny to me that nahiri is 20 bucks now basically from sporadic eternal play.

I think you mean that its actually NOT stupid investors, but only people who want to play it and only 75 were printed so thats why its really expensive now

anglachel
May 28, 2012

stinkles1112 posted:

People are speccing on her cause they think there will be a new Emrakul in Eldritch Moon she can shoot out. Like her first mode isn't great if you don't have a madness card (or something like drownyard) in your hand, and her second ability is good, but also not as useful as you might think considering how many things that kill you in Standard seem to have vigilance or don't even care about tapping to kill you.

Kraus
Jan 17, 2008

anglachel posted:

People are speccing on her cause they think there will be a new Emrakul in Eldritch Moon she can shoot out. Like her first mode isn't great if you don't have a madness card (or something like drownyard) in your hand, and her second ability is good, but also not as useful as you might think considering how many things that kill you in Standard seem to have vigilance or don't even care about tapping to kill you.

Some people are using her in Legacy Miracles to shoot out Emrakul as a win con.

anglachel
May 28, 2012

Kraus posted:

Yeah, but I mean there are plenty of cards that get played around with in Legacy/Vintage that don't shoot up because of that. I mean Dark Petition needed to be in Seasons Past despite being a new core piece of Storm to really shoot up. Harbinger of the Tides gets played in both Modern and Legacy merfolk and never shot up. There is a lot of speculation that there will be a new Emrakul and you will be able to do it in Standard too. Her 3rd ability has a suspicious lack of synergy with any cards in Shadows, I mean what's the Super big thing she's supposed to be shooting out? Ulamog or Kozilek from the previous set?

anglachel fucked around with this message at 23:08 on May 6, 2016

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

rabidsquid posted:

I think you mean that its actually NOT stupid investors, but only people who want to play it and only 75 were printed so thats why its really expensive now

Yeah, it definitely has mtgfinance poop on it. Nahiri does do well with emrukal though and she is probably coming out in the next set.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Honestly I don't think many spikes are due to price manipulation or whatever. There are a lot of Magic players, many of whom I imagine buy singles and probably not that many cards in stock at any given time (since the vast majority of cards are probably sitting around in binders). I can imagine a surge of demand for something could cut into stocks a lot.

Irony Be My Shield fucked around with this message at 23:34 on May 6, 2016

anglachel
May 28, 2012

Irony Be My Shield posted:

Honestly I don't think many spikes are due to price manipulation or whatever. There are a lot of Magic players, many of whom I imagine buy singles and probably not that many cards in stock at any given time (since the vast majority of cards are probably sitting around in binders). I can imagine a surge of demand of something could cut into stocks a lot.

Yeah, I can easily imagine at least 50 percent of any given cards stocks are sitting in people's binders or decks. (and it's probably closer to 70 percent) Sense plenty of people these days wouldn't even sale their cards in their binders for buy list prices (mah value!) and go on about how they could get more for it on Ebay even though they never actually sell them there.

black potus
Jul 13, 2006

Kraus posted:

Is someone at AE doing this and if so who!

Terrible Horse
Apr 27, 2004
:I
I am getting emails about the MTGO closed beta so I guess I'm invited. Do I get free decks or cards or is it just my current collection (of worthless poo poo)

Speaking of non-mtg card games, I was pleasantly surprised with Spellweaver, which is free on steam.

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE

Terrible Horse posted:

I was pleasantly surprised with Spellweaver, which is free on steam.

Yeah I'm gonna plug this game again too, it's good and cheap, you can reasonably F2P it if you really want and it's WAY better than hearthstone

Terrible Horse
Apr 27, 2004
:I

stinkles1112 posted:

Yeah I'm gonna plug this game again too, it's good and cheap, you can reasonably F2P it if you really want and it's WAY better than hearthstone

Its a nice combination of the depth of magic, the polish of hearthstone (without feeling like its a fisher price version of a more complex game) and the lanes system of gwent

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

Luis did say that Eternal should be ready for open beta soon, and I can say that it's good fun.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

Terrible Horse posted:

I am getting emails about the MTGO closed beta so I guess I'm invited. Do I get free decks or cards or is it just my current collection (of worthless poo poo)

Speaking of non-mtg card games, I was pleasantly surprised with Spellweaver, which is free on steam.

Every time you log into a closed beta got a set you get 4x of that set added to your collection for the beta. I haven't logged on in the last like 3 sets but I think from skimming the emails that they've also been giving you 4 of every card in Standard to test as well.

Xaerael
Aug 25, 2010

Marching Powder is objectively the worst poster known. He also needs to learn how a keyboard works.

Ran with the Brains deck at FNM, went OK 3-1, felt it could have run better though. Seems like a deck that needs someone with more time than I have right now to refine and perfect, some cards just felt bad no matter when you had them.

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE

Xaerael posted:

Ran with the Brains deck at FNM, went OK 3-1, felt it could have run better though. Seems like a deck that needs someone with more time than I have right now to refine and perfect, some cards just felt bad no matter when you had them.

Which ones felt like the worst ones?

Xaerael
Aug 25, 2010

Marching Powder is objectively the worst poster known. He also needs to learn how a keyboard works.

stinkles1112 posted:

Which ones felt like the worst ones?

Nagging thoughts felt really bad and weak, and I often wished Grip was a maindeck counter instead (but that could be my meta). Also, Blighted Cataract seems like an utterly pointless addition.

Part of me wonders if it would be better as UB or UR to run removal rather than bounces and taps.

It's worst matches were against Gr Ramp 0-2 and Aristocrats 2-1. Against esper control and Jund it was incredible and whitewashed 2-0 2-0

When it won, it was utterly devastating, and it drew a ton of attention.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
I'm heading to GP NY at 6:30 AM tomorrow morning to judge. I love a GP where I can just drive in the first day and only spend money on a hotel one night. Also, I guess roll call: Who's going to this thing? I know of mcmagic, and Zoness said side events.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Somehow nobody has mentioned this grudge match between Caleb Durward and Craig Wescoe yet even though it's probably the best piece of MTG content I've ever watched.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

mcmagic posted:

She was so underrated that now she's overrated.

She sometimes doesn't do anything but she's usually very hard to kill.

Terrible Horse posted:

Depending on when you are invited they sometimes give you the cards as full set "objects" in the "other stuff" tab in your collection (or whatever it's called where your avatars and tickets are).

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

BJPaskoff posted:

I'm heading to GP NY at 6:30 AM tomorrow morning to judge. I love a GP where I can just drive in the first day and only spend money on a hotel one night. Also, I guess roll call: Who's going to this thing? I know of mcmagic, and Zoness said side events.

Oh yeah I don't know if I'm gonna show up but I'll see what tomorrow's like and who else is going

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

I could totally go but right now I'm just not motivated to do much of anything really.

I'm lazy.

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.
Piloted Mono U Brains tonight at FNM. Went 1-1-1 because people have to read every card every time I play them.

Otherwise had a fantastic night, most fun deck Ive play in a long time.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Balon posted:

Piloted Mono U Brains tonight at FNM. Went 1-1-1 because people have to read every card every time I play them.

Otherwise had a fantastic night, most fun deck Ive play in a long time.

drat 3 round FNM? Seems short.

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.

Angry Grimace posted:

drat 3 round FNM? Seems short.

11 people, that's it. Turnout at the LGS has been pretty low this season.

Kunzelman
Dec 26, 2007

Lord Shaper

suicidesteve posted:

Somehow nobody has mentioned this grudge match between Caleb Durward and Craig Wescoe yet even though it's probably the best piece of MTG content I've ever watched.

I really enjoyed this. The Modern match with maindeck Wescoe hate is just amazing.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

ButtWolf posted:

Reeeeead the caaaaaard.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Entropic posted:

Reeeeead the caaaaaard.

What it the card is full art Cryptic Command, smart guy? Then what???

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Balon posted:

11 people, that's it. Turnout at the LGS has been pretty low this season.

I think every once in a while if no one shows up we cut to 4 round when there's no undefeated.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

suicidesteve posted:

What it the card is full art Cryptic Command, smart guy? Then what???

Then you realize why they don't give out fullart cards anymore.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

BJPaskoff posted:

I would have gone if I hadn't just started a new job and had money to spend on a Standard deck.

Maybe next time.

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe
I'm going to GP Charlotte and will actually be able to make the Friday events. Is it worth the time to go for the last chance qualifier or is it a better use of time to play as many challenges as possible? Trying to decide how best to spend the day.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Angry Grimace posted:

I think every once in a while if no one shows up we cut to 4 round when there's no undefeated.

Sounds great to actually have 8 people for Standard FNM. We get 5, at best. I'm going to Modern Saturdays though.

semiedit: which bot should I go to find certain basics on MTGO?

80s James Hetfield
Jan 20, 2004

METAL UP YOUR ASS
Are they streaming today's GP?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PleasantDirge
Sep 7, 2009
ASK ME ABOUT HOW NOT BEING A FUCKING ASSHOLE ON THE ROAD IS JUST LIKE BEING A JEW AT A NAZI GATHERING BECAUSE I CAN NOT UNDERSTAND HOW TO NOT BE A FUCKING ASSHOLE AND WHEN PEOPLE TREAT ME LIKE I'M A FUCKING ASSHOLE THAT IS JUST LIKE GENOCIDE

GoutPatrol posted:

Sounds great to actually have 8 people for Standard FNM. We get 5, at best. I'm going to Modern Saturdays though.

semiedit: which bot should I go to find certain basics on MTGO?

I would use mtgwikiprice.com to get the best price on anything with the minimum of bullshit. You could search all day and still miss that one bot giving more than the best wiki price bot so I usually say gently caress it and call the wiki price good enough for government work.

80s James Hetfield posted:

Are they streaming today's GP?

Practice man, practice

PleasantDirge fucked around with this message at 12:32 on May 7, 2016

• Locked thread