Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Thermopyle posted:

IIRC, KeePass has know problems with Google Drive and because of the way Google does stuff. I think it even says so in the faq or docs somewhere.

It works fine if you use Dropbox and set up some triggers.

In typical open source fashion it requires some up front config.

I put up with it because if it's important anything is open source it's the software securing my passwords.

Yeah, that's the other thing I've been meaning to do - switch my database from Drive to Dropbox. Hearing that there are known problems with KeePass and Drive only makes me more motivated to do so. I'll definitely try that first.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?
Is there a good comparison of LastPass and 1Passwird anywhere?

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Ynglaur posted:

Is there a good comparison of LastPass and 1Passwird anywhere?

The good comparison for LastPass is a piece of paper with your passwords written on it.

LastPass is not a company you want in charge of your security because they're poo poo at it. Not only have they had some really bad flaws in their program that could be exploited to steal passwords, they have a history of reacting stupidly to the security researchers that found them.

Pay for 1password if you don't want to manage keepass.

Mark Larson
Dec 27, 2003

Interesting...
KeepAss also works fine with OneDrive if anyone cares. I sync only my .kdbx file and keep the .key file offline to sync my desktop and my laptop. The Android app I tried hasn't worked though (no relation to OneDrive), so I'll try out miniPass or whatever was recommended on the last page.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Mark Larson posted:

KeepAss also works fine with OneDrive if anyone cares. I sync only my .kdbx file and keep the .key file offline to sync my desktop and my laptop. The Android app I tried hasn't worked though (no relation to OneDrive), so I'll try out miniPass or whatever was recommended on the last page.

I had issues getting keepass browser plugins (keepass tusk) to work with onedrive a few months ago. It straight up refused to find my database. Dropbox works flawlessly I assume because that's what 99% of the userbase relies on.

Tapedump
Aug 31, 2007
College Slice

Klyith posted:

Not only have they had some really bad flaws in their program
Is it actually past tense now, or should we say “has?”

Didn’t Ormandy’s found vulns not get fully addressed, or am I remembering wrong?

Regardless, yeah, please nobody use LassPass!

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are
My company threw their lot in with Lastpass, so...ugh.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

Did Tavis ever publish any vulnerabilities for 1Password? Google returns a bunch of " I know something" tweets and some bad meme, but nothing about the vulnerabilities themselves.

Edit: I found this link from 2016, but that's it. https://bugs.chromium.org/p/project-zero/issues/detail?id=888

Ynglaur fucked around with this message at 15:40 on Jun 23, 2018

Tapedump
Aug 31, 2007
College Slice
Dismissive answer: Head to the InfoSec thread and start reading backwards. Look for the Twitter posts.

Edit: Or, you know, follow him.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

Okay, let's say I wanted to avoid third-party-hosted cloud providers because I think I can manage my own sychronization across devices more securely. The option most recommended in this thread seems to be KeePass, and synchronize over Dropbox or OneDrive or whatever.

So...now let's say that Dropbox, OneDrive, AWS storage etc. are all blocked on your work machine. Specifically, uploads to those services are blocked. SFTP connections, blessedly, are not.

What is the simplest / cheapest / safest way to roll your own cloud storage for such things?

I realize that "LastPass and 1Password are bad" is the mantra here, but seriously: short of maintaining a file in Excel or something, what are my options if cloud storage providers are mostly blocked?

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Ynglaur posted:

Okay, let's say I wanted to avoid third-party-hosted cloud providers because I think I can manage my own sychronization across devices more securely. The option most recommended in this thread seems to be KeePass, and synchronize over Dropbox or OneDrive or whatever.

So...now let's say that Dropbox, OneDrive, AWS storage etc. are all blocked on your work machine. Specifically, uploads to those services are blocked. SFTP connections, blessedly, are not.

What is the simplest / cheapest / safest way to roll your own cloud storage for such things?

I realize that "LastPass and 1Password are bad" is the mantra here, but seriously: short of maintaining a file in Excel or something, what are my options if cloud storage providers are mostly blocked?

Thumb drive with the key file, sync with Dropbox/Gdrive when you're at home?

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer
Lets say I use LastPass, what is the best way to have my passwords available to be on my multiple devices without having to pay for it?

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

Medullah posted:

Thumb drive with the key file, sync with Dropbox/Gdrive when you're at home?

Thumb drives are encrypted by default. They can be read from on the work laptop, but if the work laptop wants to write to them, they get encrypted such that non-work laptops can't read them.

It's almost like they want me to keep dozens of passwords in a plain-text file or something. :negative:

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Ynglaur posted:

Thumb drives are encrypted by default. They can be read from on the work laptop, but if the work laptop wants to write to them, they get encrypted such that non-work laptops can't read them.

It's almost like they want me to keep dozens of passwords in a plain-text file or something. :negative:

Ah yeah, my work laptop is the same. Could you email yourself the file periodically?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Sync outside work and don't write to the usb drive at work?

Unless you're updating accounts constantly you probably don't really need instant database syncing.

Or just find a file copy tool they aren't blocking like scp or some equivalent. Though it sounds like the kind of place that would lose their poo poo if they caught you doing it.

Arcon
Jul 24, 2013
Ive been using KeeWeb, Keepass Tusk, and Keepass2Android to sync between all my devices and browsers (using Google Drive, but I wasn't aware of any issues during the setup)

Works pretty well, but I'm waiting for the 'everything you're using is poo poo' to drop

Mark Larson
Dec 27, 2003

Interesting...

Ynglaur posted:

How handy are you with scripting? You could write a shell/Powershell script to rsync or scp files to an AWS instance (t2.micro) and run the same sync on your desktop at home. Also, don't you have Onedrive for Business or something with an Office365 account? That would work the same as regular OneDrive.

Although I have to ask, why do you have to sync passwords between your secured work machine and your personal machine? This seems like exactly the thing your network security measures are designed to prevent.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

Mark Larson posted:

How handy are you with scripting? You could write a shell/Powershell script to rsync or scp files to an AWS instance (t2.micro) and run the same sync on your desktop at home. Also, don't you have Onedrive for Business or something with an Office365 account? That would work the same as regular OneDrive.

Although I have to ask, why do you have to sync passwords between your secured work machine and your personal machine? This seems like exactly the thing your network security measures are designed to prevent.

OneDrive for Business won't run on the personal machine.

To some degree your probably right. But when you travel for work and work 80 hours /week, sometimes you just need to balance your checkbook, and never mind the dozens of SaaS application environments you need to be able to access.

I may end up needing to do something like use KeePass on my work machine and 1Password or LastPass for personal stuff.

Dylan16807
May 12, 2010

Ynglaur posted:

OneDrive for Business won't run on the personal machine.

To some degree your probably right. But when you travel for work and work 80 hours /week, sometimes you just need to balance your checkbook, and never mind the dozens of SaaS application environments you need to be able to access.

I may end up needing to do something like use KeePass on my work machine and 1Password or LastPass for personal stuff.

If you only need it one way, home to work, then copying the database to a thumb drive sounds like a plan that is both effective and won't make IT mad.

You can have a separate database for work passwords that you only access from work computers, like the laptop.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

That sounds like a good approach. Thanks for helping me think through this!

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Arcon posted:

Ive been using KeeWeb, Keepass Tusk, and Keepass2Android to sync between all my devices and browsers (using Google Drive, but I wasn't aware of any issues during the setup)

Works pretty well, but I'm waiting for the 'everything you're using is poo poo' to drop

I avoid using Tusk (and CKP before it). Any browser extension is bound to be hard to keep secure.

KeePass itself does a good job of just emulating a keyboard and inputting your username/password itself. There's also the KeePass plugin webautotype which can look at the actual url of the browser instead of just the window title to choose which username/password combo to autotype for you.

Of course, this sucks if you use a Chromebook...

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money

SlayVus posted:

Lets say I use LastPass, what is the best way to have my passwords available to be on my multiple devices without having to pay for it?

Just use it until someone finds another exploit in it that allows you to share your passwords with all the devices...in the world.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Can someone recommend a good app or website or a snip of code to extract all tweets from a particular Twitter handle?

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

SlayVus posted:

Just install the app or extension on all your devices and log in. Mobile support hasn't required Premium for years.

Lambert fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Jun 27, 2018

wibble
May 20, 2001
Meep meep
On a standard windows 2012/16 domain with servers, is there such a thing as a read only domain account? I need to give access to a bunch of servers to some people but domain admin would be too much for them, they only need read only access so they can look but don’t touch while carrying out auditing and documentation on each server? Easy to do on stuff like VMware vcentre but not too sure with normal windows accounts.

Arcon
Jul 24, 2013

Steakandchips posted:

Can someone recommend a good app or website or a snip of code to extract all tweets from a particular Twitter handle?

this is really hard to do now afaik. There are/were twitter IRC bots floating around that can pull tweets as they come in (and archive them) but backlog is much harder. Stuff like greptweet used to exist but it got shut down a couple years ago because of ToS changes. There's supposedly APIs you can access but it looks like 150bux will be the price for true deep-dives on stuff you cant surface with normal twitter/google searching.

So basically, not anymore, besides stuff being actively archived.

Polsy
Mar 23, 2007

It was always against the ToS to store deleted tweets but whether that really matters depends on how visible your service is, I didn't hear about anyone actually getting dinged for it until people kicked up a fuss about the 'we store politicians' deleted tweets to prove them liars later' service being killed off. But yeah practically speaking you can only go back 3,200 tweets (including retweets) at the free tier.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Polsy posted:

It was always against the ToS to store deleted tweets but whether that really matters depends on how visible your service is, I didn't hear about anyone actually getting dinged for it until people kicked up a fuss about the 'we store politicians' deleted tweets to prove them liars later' service being killed off. But yeah practically speaking you can only go back 3,200 tweets (including retweets) at the free tier.

There's the Trump Twitter Archive which actively files every tweet he releases which is always amusing when he has to delete one due to a spelling error and tweet the correction.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

I wanna set up a running job on my parents windows machine to ping something online once a minute and write results to a file so we can track the shoddy internet dropouts, what's the windows cron for this? Is Task Scheduler still appropriate for something so often?

gariig
Dec 31, 2004
Beaten into submission by my fiance
Pillbug
Is there a way on Windows to play Youtube as a picture-in-picture window similar to Safari on Mac?

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

MikeJF posted:

I wanna set up a running job on my parents windows machine to ping something online once a minute and write results to a file so we can track the shoddy internet dropouts, what's the windows cron for this? Is Task Scheduler still appropriate for something so often?

I'm sure Task Scheduler would be fine.

Note that there are a lot of programs that do this for you. I have no idea if this is any good, but my first google result was this one: https://emcosoftware.com/ping-monitor

Mark Larson
Dec 27, 2003

Interesting...

gariig posted:

Is there a way on Windows to play Youtube as a picture-in-picture window similar to Safari on Mac?

I'm using Opera and it has a button that makes Youtube video pop out in its own little window with minimal chrome. This little window can then be resized and moved around independently. Is that something you're looking for?

Siochain
May 24, 2005

"can they get rid of any humans who are fans of shitheads like Kanye West, 50 Cent, or any other piece of crap "artist" who thinks they're all that?

And also get rid of anyone who has posted retarded shit on the internet."

Thermopyle posted:

I'm sure Task Scheduler would be fine.

Note that there are a lot of programs that do this for you. I have no idea if this is any good, but my first google result was this one: https://emcosoftware.com/ping-monitor

We use Emco's ping monitor at work, its awesome for that. Tracks outages, times, etc. Great tool.
Set up a few pings (to multiple outside sources) so that you can show they all drop at the same time, otherwise the ISP will blame the other end.

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

Tapedump posted:

Is it actually past tense now, or should we say “has?”

Didn’t Ormandy’s found vulns not get fully addressed, or am I remembering wrong?

Regardless, yeah, please nobody use LassPass!

What he turned over was indicative of a company that slapped together a product without any real effort to secure their code with even trivial things like input fuzzing and while I don't doubt they have fixed the really egregious stuff, the question remains do you really trust a company with a code base that shipped that half-baked?

simcole
Sep 13, 2003
PATHETIC STALKER
Does anyone have a recommendation on software to compare directories and then add files that are missing? I'd like to sorta sync a folder of missing files. Bonus if it's free and can do recursive.

c0burn
Sep 2, 2003

The KKKing
Robocopy?

simcole
Sep 13, 2003
PATHETIC STALKER

c0burn posted:

Robocopy?

No. Looking for more of a gui with file differences spelled out a little better. Need to be able to compare things like crc, date, file size etc.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

simcole posted:

Does anyone have a recommendation on software to compare directories and then add files that are missing? I'd like to sorta sync a folder of missing files. Bonus if it's free and can do recursive.

FreeFileSync.

I was once on the hunt for the same thing. I used to use Microsoft's SyncToy, but some inadequacies lead me to look for something else.
After trying a few, I fell over FreeFileSync, and have been completely happy with it since.

simcole
Sep 13, 2003
PATHETIC STALKER

HalloKitty posted:

FreeFileSync.

I was once on the hunt for the same thing. I used to use Microsoft's SyncToy, but some inadequacies lead me to look for something else.
After trying a few, I fell over FreeFileSync, and have been completely happy with it since.

That one worked out great.

Do you happen to have (or anyone) know of a good duplicate file finder now? Thanks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MREBoy
Mar 14, 2005

MREs - They're whats for breakfast, lunch AND dinner !

simcole posted:

That one worked out great.

Do you happen to have (or anyone) know of a good duplicate file finder now? Thanks

https://www.foldersizes.com/screens/duplicatefiles

I use the program in general to keep my boot SSD free of space hogging crap (I'm looking at you nVidia driver installer) but overall it's just about a Swiss Army knife of doing file management stuff.

e2a: they apparently also have a whole separate app just for finding dupes: https://www.duplicatedetective.com/ - has a 15 day free trial

MREBoy fucked around with this message at 04:20 on Jul 1, 2018