Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

Saw this at Home-Depot today. another deadly improvised jackstand

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Ugh probably hosed the suspension, becsuse he has way more bricks than he should in that bes.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

tater_salad posted:

Ugh probably hosed the suspension, becsuse he has way more bricks than he should in that bes.

Also all those bricks make it vastly more likely that the whole thing collapses on him while he's working on it just using three of them for support.

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

The Greater Goon: Breaking Hearts and Chains since 2006
You should have walked over, looked at that "jackstand", and said, "Very good... but brick not hit back."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wNibi-NWW4o

FatCow
Apr 22, 2002
I MAP THE FUCK OUT OF PEOPLE

kastein posted:

<gas tank>

I was sitting grid during a black flaggged race and heard a decent size boom. Thought it was a bad backfire. After the race I find out it was because a fuel vent on a spec Miata stopped working. The exhaust boiled the fuel and the rubber piece in the filler neck burst.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
Hell, I can't drive my Sting Ray when it's above 95F or so unless I just want to huff fuel vapors. E10 gets vented almost constantly if it's out in the sun, but that's all that's available around here. I guess it's a good test for the vented cap though. If I ever don't get a headache in the dead of summer, I know something's wrong.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

tater_salad posted:

thats impossible because its a pickup and commercials tell me pickups are precisely for this

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

cursedshitbox posted:

Saw this at Home-Depot today. another deadly improvised jackstand
As soon as he removes that little pile of bricks the frame will bend like a pretzel.

solarNativity
Nov 11, 2012

QuarkMartial posted:

My dad drives for a trucking company and tonight the tanks fell off his truck while idling. It only had a couple million miles on it :v:

Both at once?

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]
Looks like just one. No ratchet strap to tie it back up with :v:

Shai-Hulud
Jul 10, 2008

But it feels so right!
Lipstick Apathy
So according to my ECU my particulate filter additive tank is still 64% full:

That's it to the right, to the left is the bag of blood I had to donate to appease the gods of the DPF.
So what would happen to an engine if the particulate filter is clogged up so much its not really letting a lot of exhaust through anymore....asking for a friend...

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Same as any other exhaust blockage, you'll lose power until it gets fully plugged and the car won't start at all. If you don't have any symptoms you're probably fine.

Most of the DPF regen is accomplished by heating, either an electric heating element or injecting fuel into the exhaust stream. The fluid is a catalyst that helps the process, but you still get at least some burnoff without it; you're not gonna kill the car immediately when the fluid runs out.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
When did cars start getting colostomy bags?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Geirskogul posted:

When did cars start getting colostomy bags?

Well, the ICE is almost 120+ years old. It kept wetting itself in public, had to eventually put it in the home.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

Enourmo posted:

Same as any other exhaust blockage, you'll lose power until it gets fully plugged and the car won't start at all. If you don't have any symptoms you're probably fine.

Most of the DPF regen is accomplished by heating, either an electric heating element or injecting fuel into the exhaust stream. The fluid is a catalyst that helps the process, but you still get at least some burnoff without it; you're not gonna kill the car immediately when the fluid runs out.

Not quite. First of all, don't ignore it, it needs to regen effectively occasionally because when it plugs up completely you can't really undo that easily:

wikipedia posted:

If the driver ignores the warning light and waits too long to operate the vehicle above 40 miles per hour (64 km/h), the DPF may not regenerate properly, and continued operation past that point may spoil the DPF completely so it must be replaced.

You can do regen by heating, but catalyzed regen keeps the temps and fuel consumption during regen lower.

Shai-Hulud
Jul 10, 2008

But it feels so right!
Lipstick Apathy
Well I definitely had loss of power. I recently replaced the DPF (I posted earlier how I found the turbo turbine in the old one) because the car started to warn me that the old one would be clogged soon. I didn't think to check on the fluid cause the car told me it was still 64% full.

Now the new DPF started to clog and I lost power so I finally checked.
No idea how long the fluid has been empty. Could have been quite some time.
I forced a regeneration with the diagnostic software and it started with barely any exhaust coming through but eventually it started to pump out black smoke and put a nice black patch of soot on the driveway. The computer still told me that the regeneration was unsuccessful but it must have worked at least partially.
I got the power back and no more warning lights so let's see how long this works.
If you guys tell me that a hosed up DPF is the worst thing that can come out of this then I'm happy. I know how to replace that fucker now...

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib
If you can call up another regen, and then put the engine under increasing load (towing a trailer, uphill, etc), you might be able to blow out the DPF. If not, there are places that clean them (assuming that's a economically-viable option). I see a Peugeot lion on the bag, so.... yeah.

If you have gauges, especially an EGT gauge, you can certainly try to burn the DPF out. If the EGT's go sky high, it's not worth even trying, no point in cooking the motor to save the filter.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Pretty sure we had some emails going around corporate about guys on the road ignoring their DPF warning lights. At that point, the ECU won't let you go anywhere until you do a parked regen, which could take a while. It was screwing up their hours of service and all that.

This is from a company newsletter last year

quote:

The DPF or Diesel Particulate Filter is a trap
that scrubs the particulate matter from the diesel exhaust; it scrubs the old black soot from the ex-
haust stream. That is all it does, it is a filter. Depending on duty cycles and engine condition it plugs
slowly or quickly.
The cleaning solution designed for this build-up of soot is called
regeneration or regen for short. All a regen really does is raise
the temperature of the exhaust system to burn the soot and turn
it into ash that falls to the bottom of the DPF and leaves the
filter clean again to catch more soot. The way the system heats is
by spraying diesel fuel onto the hot DOC / DPF to create com-
bustion. The unit must maintain an elevated temperature to burn
the soot either through running down the highway under load or
performing a parked regen. It works on the same principle as a
self-cleaning oven in your home, super heat to clean the oven
and leave it as ash to be removed from the drip pan. A very sim-
ple yet effective solution if everything works as it is designed.

NoWake
Dec 28, 2008

College Slice

quote:

A very simple yet effective solution if everything works as it is designed.

Until the transit department orders a bunch of new buses equipped with DPFs that must regen every so often. The buses we had basically idled around campus all day at 15mph, pop goes the weasel and you're switching out at the garage so your bus can spend 45 minutes at full throttle.

Another wonder of the purchasing department, the few buses that left campus for long-haul trips were ordered with city bus transmissions lacking overdrive.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

An engine burning oil will clog a DPF like a motherfucker, too. There are also sensors all over most systems that send the computer into an OH MY GOD THINGS ARE ABOUT TO BLOW UP SHUT IT DOWN mode when slightly disturbed.

I understand it's a necessary evil, but it's still loving evil.

IPCRESS
May 27, 2012
Remove the filter and blast it with a propane rosebud torch.

Worst case scenario you break the already-broken filter*.

*: and/or give yourself cancer

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.
Wait until GPFs become common.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

totalnewbie posted:

Wait until GPFs become common.

And urea injection too since high compression DI gas engines are going to run into NOx emission limits.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
We have ambulances with the regen but people absolutely ignore it (and are even proud of doing so on the private company facebook page -- I've called a few of them out and they delete their posts :argh:) and the engines end up eating themselves alive after a few 24-hour crews in a row trash the gently caress out of them while they're flashing "REGEN REGEN REGEN!!!!" on the digital dashboard.

It doesn't help that the 2008-2013 Chevy diesel base used for the ambulances is a PIECE OF poo poo. Listen - I am not a Ford guy by any means, but we have trucks from 1992 with 445,xxx ORIGINAL miles* on the engine still trucking along (although pitifully). And that's with maybe three times the normal time, just idling. These Chevys are falling out like flies left and right every goddamned week.

*(Any Ford in the fleet with 500k+ is on at least it's second engine, though, as all of the 500k+ ones are the 6.oh-no's. The younger ones are 7.3's and the old, OLD 1mil+ ones are non-turbos that are gutless but indestructible)

literally a fish
Oct 2, 2014

German officer Johannes Bolter peeks out the hatch of his Tiger I heavy tank during a quiet moment before the Battle of Kursk - c:1943 (colorized)
Slippery Tilde
vehicle emissions regulations are good and nice :smithicide:

Shai-Hulud
Jul 10, 2008

But it feels so right!
Lipstick Apathy
Wait, don't the engines you guys are talking about not regenerate the DPF while driving? I don't think I ever seen a car that regenerates while standing except when forced by diagnostic software.
The official method to clear your DPF here is to get on the autobahn and thrash it around for half an hour with the revs above 3000 to burn the soot off.
And even that shouldn't really be necessary unless you only drive short distances and never get the engine up to temperature.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Shai-Hulud posted:

Wait, don't the engines you guys are talking about not regenerate the DPF while driving? I don't think I ever seen a car that regenerates while standing except when forced by diagnostic software.
The official method to clear your DPF here is to get on the autobahn and thrash it around for half an hour with the revs above 3000 to burn the soot off.
And even that shouldn't really be necessary unless you only drive short distances and never get the engine up to temperature.

Heavy truck regens can take up to 45 minutes, and require you to stay above 70kph the whole time. city buses, fire trucks,. short haul trucking, 45 minutes at 70kph isn't possible within the scope of their job. They all have a manual regen button to do it when parked, but that can also take 45 minutes, and a fire truck not being able to move for 45 minutes is bad news.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Powershift posted:

Heavy truck regens can take up to 45 minutes, and require you to stay above 70kph the whole time. city buses, fire trucks,. short haul trucking, 45 minutes at 70kph isn't possible within the scope of their job. They all have a manual regen button to do it when parked, but that can also take 45 minutes, and a fire truck not being able to move for 45 minutes is bad news.

Seems like something of a design flaw there.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

spog posted:

Seems like something of a design flaw there.

Yeah, well, here are some more. During a regen, the exhaust has to get up to about 1700 degrees turning an exhaust leak into a flamethrower. With a DPF on a truck, you never "think you have an exhaust leak". You either don't have an exhaust leak or you know you have an exhaust leak. Before SCR started injecting fluid into a chamber behind the DPF, that exhaust was coming out of the pipe very near that 1700*f, with those pipes being right beside the door on some trucks. As you can imagine, a metal exhaust pipe pumping out 1700* exhaust for 45 minutes at a time traveling through -40*f air makes everything involved extremely brittle, causing you to know you have an exhaust leak. You can also imagine how much fuel it has to burn to maintain regen temps in cold air.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Let's just say that ambulances that idle for literally 24 hours a day never get through a proper regen cycle, even though they trigger it more often due to, you know, needing to idle all day to keep the A/C up and running.

They gave us DEF trucks, then simultaneously took away our stations and made it so you chilled in a truck literally 12 or 24 hours a day. Idling. Just...being "ready."

Guess how many engines (and cats, and just, you know, complete exhaust systems from the manifold down) the city of Phoenix (and metro area) has gone through. GUESS!!!

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.
That's insane.

You'd think that if you were making vehicles like that, you'd come up with an alternative to DPF that require regen.

Maybe run the exhaust to a can stuffed with old socks and simply swap it out every month?

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Stolen from Facebook to stop you guys from rambling on about DPF and regen poo poo forever...

quote:

It was the last session of the day, I had no idea it would come so close to being my last session ever…

On April 30, 2016 I was running a track event in my 2016 GT350 Mustang at Roebling Road. Being my second track event in the car I was slowly gaining confidence in the car and more especially myself. This was the most capable car I had ever driven on track and she was fast. I spent most of the day creeping up on my abilities behind the wheel and was nowhere near the capabilities of the car.

The forecast was hot and muggy so the organizers of the event announced that drivers of streetcars wouldn’t have to wear long pants. So I wore my standard everyday shorts and t-shirt along with my helmet and gloves.

I had been on the track about 15 minutes of the last session when I experienced a catastrophic engine component failure. This caused a massive oil leak. The oil ignited on the exhaust. If this wasn’t bad enough, the oil fire caused the main fuel line to rupture. At this point, the bottom of the car was fully engulfed. The fireball was two lanes wide and trailed behind the car at least 25’.

I had just exited the last turn onto the front straight when all hell broke loose. I was following a BMW and had just been given a “point by” to pass. I checked my mirrors and initiated the pass. As I’m accelerating pass the “yielding” BMW I was able to go from 3rd gear into 4th gear. This would have me running 125ish MPH as I was about to merge back in front of him. When I checked my mirrors again I saw the large fireball.

My first reaction was “Oh no, what’s happened to the BMW?!?”. Before I could even finish that thought I realized that the flames were coming from me. My very next thought was “Oh gently caress, I’m on fire.” I knew I needed to get off the track, but the pit wall was to my right and the “racing line” and other fast cars were on my left. I lifted and started trying to slow the car down.

The heat from the flames must have been very intense as the brake fluid boiled and the brake pedal went to the floor. So now I’m still running 100+ MPH on fire with no brakes. By now I’m past the pit wall and I’ve made my way on to the grass running along side the track.

One thing all racers know is to get off the racing line as soon as possible when there is trouble. Another thing HPDE guys know is there will always be fire extinguishers at corner stations and I was quickly approaching the one at T1.

With no hydraulic brakes I tried to use the emergency brake. I knew that I couldn’t yank it up because it would lock the rear wheels causing me to lose what little bit of control I had. About 20% through the travel of the lever, the cable snapped.

Sometime during all this, I had turned the car off. So I’ve got zero brakes and no power steering. By now I’ve also got fire in the cabin and I’m still hauling rear end burning like a meteor on reentry. I did the only other thing I knew to do. I put the car in first gear and dumped the clutch. Some how I was able to get the car stopped without losing control less than 30’ from corner station and the fire extinguishers.

The corner workers were yelling for me to get out of the car. They didn’t realize just how badly I wanted out of the car! LOL Normally if you have an incident on track you are instructed to stay in the car until the safety team arrives on scene. One of the few exceptions is a fire.

I got out of the car and raced to grab an extinguisher and started fighting the fire myself. The safety crew got to me within seconds and quickly got the fire put out. I walked away without a scratch. I never felt the heat from the fire. I am certain that I had someone riding with me keeping me safe. It wasn’t my time to die.

Ford and my local dealer Prater Ford have been very good to me. My 2016 GT350 is being replaced with a 2017 GT350R. This has been one hell of an emotional roller coaster and I can finally see light at the end of the tunnel.

No. 6
Jun 30, 2002

Yes, Jesus or an angel obviously saved you buddy. :allears:

FatCow
Apr 22, 2002
I MAP THE FUCK OUT OF PEOPLE
Devil was punishing him for driving in a place where the crowd is well protected.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

FatCow posted:

Devil was punishing him for driving in a place where the crowd is well protected.

Hahahahahaha :drat:

That dude is pretty lucky, i wonder what the initial failure was. I've heard the new mustangs don't hold up to track use, but this is the worst of that I've seen.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

Geirskogul posted:

We have ambulances with the regen but people absolutely ignore it (and are even proud of doing so on the private company facebook page -- I've called a few of them out and they delete their posts :argh:) and the engines end up eating themselves alive after a few 24-hour crews in a row trash the gently caress out of them while they're flashing "REGEN REGEN REGEN!!!!" on the digital dashboard.

It doesn't help that the 2008-2013 Chevy diesel base used for the ambulances is a PIECE OF poo poo. Listen - I am not a Ford guy by any means, but we have trucks from 1992 with 445,xxx ORIGINAL miles* on the engine still trucking along (although pitifully). And that's with maybe three times the normal time, just idling. These Chevys are falling out like flies left and right every goddamned week.

*(Any Ford in the fleet with 500k+ is on at least it's second engine, though, as all of the 500k+ ones are the 6.oh-no's. The younger ones are 7.3's and the old, OLD 1mil+ ones are non-turbos that are gutless but indestructible)

I'm willing to bet that if the modern 6.7 Ford diesel was in use in your fleet, you'd have the same failure rates. 1992 technology handled extended idling and sitting just fine, but the new emissions laws have totally hosed up idle performance.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.

No. 6 posted:

Yes, Jesus or an angel obviously saved you buddy. :allears:

quote:

On April 30, 2016 I was running a track event in my 2016 GT350 Mustang at Roebling Road. Being my second track event in the car I was slowly gaining confidence in the car and more especially myself..... I had been on the track about 15 minutes of the last session when I experienced a catastrophic engine component failure. This caused a massive oil leak. The oil ignited on the exhaust. If this wasn’t bad enough, the oil fire caused the main fuel line to rupture. At this point, the bottom of the car was fully engulfed. The fireball was two lanes wide and trailed behind the car at least 25’.

His car is practically fresh off of the factory floor and is only the second time on the track ever. 15 continuous minutes of hard driving ignites his fuel lines and he's not immediately saying "lawsuit". He's not even wondering why a new car, advertised on speed and power, catastrophically fails when using that power. Nope, he's buying a newer one, presumably to also drive at the track

He had an angel in that car with him alright. It was the angel of death, come to see that he dies for his stupidity

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
you are aware that things occasionally fail

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

I think what we should really be asking is was he able to make it back to 1955 to stop future trump from giving past trump the sports betting book?

e: just checked CNN, no he was not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

The Door Frame posted:

His car is practically fresh off of the factory floor and is only the second time on the track ever. 15 continuous minutes of hard driving ignites his fuel lines and he's not immediately saying "lawsuit". He's not even wondering why a new car, advertised on speed and power, catastrophically fails when using that power. Nope, he's buying a newer one, presumably to also drive at the track

He had an angel in that car with him alright. It was the angel of death, come to see that he dies for his stupidity

Doesn't sound like he's *buying* a newer one, it sounds like the dealership has in mind exactly what you're saying and is throwing a newer one at him.