Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

MorningMoon posted:

Danny is shown as overconfident in that season 2 finale and season 3 just plays with that the whole way through since there's no consistent idea anymore of where Danny should go next. Ghost lore also goes down the drain because Danny has bested pretty conclusively all the interesting ghosts, so they throw in some weird elementals to escalate.

Refreshing myself by looking at the episode list and man somehow the King of All Ghost and his evil future self weren't season finale episodes.

They really did escalate too fast.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 28 hours!

Electric Phantasm posted:

Refreshing myself by looking at the episode list and man somehow the King of All Ghost and his evil future self weren't season finale episodes.

They really did escalate too fast.

Reign Storm is, tho!

The airing and "production" order that float online are extremely wrong, however "Danny Phantom: The Complete Series" dvd has the real show order and everything makes much more sense that way https://dannyphantom.fandom.com/wiki/Danny_Phantom:_The_Complete_Series
Reign Storm is the end of season 1 and all the pieces that build to Vlad unleashing the ghost king flow right into each other in the lead up to that episode.

Then Danny gets like 4 episodes into season 2 before the in-universe retcon to get his logo, which I knew even before I found the order because in México they aired those episodes first in a special broadcast week explicitly calling them "UNEDITED NEW EPISODES" and it was really strange how the US had those episodes with Danny wearing the logo. Anyway Danny getting his little logo is the episode immediately before the evil future tv special.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

I believe there was a Danny Phantom comic or two that released last year as well, was that any good?

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 28 hours!

Larryb posted:

I believe there was a Danny Phantom comic or two that released last year as well, was that any good?

It was alright. During many times it really felt like the show put on to page, the comedy was on point. The story was kinda cool, but also does a lot to change the status quo from the end of the series, probably in case the comic gets to keep going. It's a time fuckery story featuring Dark Danny's return, and
Danny and Vlad get to like the origin of the ghost zone, find out the ghost zone is like the "ethereal" counterpart to earth, where all strong emotions manifest. So, say, Ember isn't like the ghost of a real artist, but she is the strong emotions that the artist felt when stuff happened. Overtime those emotions lose their contact with the physical earth and start becoming generic creatures like the squid ghosts. Danny decides he should try to be a bridge between the worlds and let them reconnect. Dark Danny almost destroys the timeline but after being beaten, Vlad finally gets it that everything was always his own fault, and offers to be Dark Danny's companion, puts him in a clone of Danny he was working on. The time ghost gets to unfuck reality but there's only 2 ways: timeline where everything continues wehre it left off but Danny loses his powers, or timeline where people forget how the world didn't explode via meteor and tehrefore still hate Danny Phantom plus don't know his identity. Danny takes the latter and vows to defend ghosts and humans.

Tucker was mayor for 2 days only, since he dropped a baby during the second day and the Mayor from the first two seasons was immediately reelected.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Larryb posted:

I will admit having watched a few episodes out of curiosity the characters are kind of fun at least, though it’s still basically Fetishes: The Show (moreso than your average spy series I mean)

Do we know if the original English cast is coming back for this?

Jennifer Hale said none of them are returning. She heard the production probably didn't want to pay union rates.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Dawgstar posted:

Jennifer Hale said none of them are returning. She heard the production probably didn't want to pay union rates.

Ah, that’s a shame. Where’s this even going to be airing in the US?

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Also for anyone that enjoyed Dead End Paranormal Park, the last collection of the original webcomic it was based on is out now (containing the story that would have been adapted into the cancelled third season):

https://www.amazon.com/DeadEndia-Divine-Order-Hamish-Steele/dp/1454949015

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Larryb posted:

Ah, that’s a shame. Where’s this even going to be airing in the US?

If I had to guess probably either Disney or straight to streaming. Nick is basically entirely Spongebob/those Spongebob spinoffs. And of course CN is just a husk that I'm sure will probably end up being fully cannibalized by Adult Swim soon and just play stuff from the 90s-early 2010s... until actual AS stuff starts.

That is, until cable finally dies and everything goes to streaming... and then the streaming services merge, eliminate ad-free tiers, and we come full circle to cable.

Anyway, re: Phantom talk, I think the show's real problem is that it was too focused on doing comedy and action to the benefit of neither. Like other people have said, DP lifted a lot from classic Spider-Man but the thing with Spider-Man is that it's not really a traditionally funny comic. Spidey's funny when he's quipping, yes, but there's not a lot of hijinks when Peter Parker's just hanging around. And that's not to say that you just can't do comedy and superhero (just look at the Spider-Verse movies, or Deadpool... when written well), I just think that Hartman/the writing team were trying to inject a little too much FOP-style comedy into the mix, to the detriment of the finished product.

Also I don't think Hartman's style works for action very well, but that's a personal taste thing.

TwoPair fucked around with this message at 17:40 on May 3, 2024

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!
tbh I've got a fondness for all those semi-episodic mid-2000s shows. Danny Phantom, Jake Long, Xiaolin Showdown, Jackie Chan Adventures, all that kinda stuff. I feel like they struck a nice balance that I kinda miss now that it's been gone for a while.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

If I recall correctly, Jackie Chan Adventures in particular was better than a show with that concept had any right to be

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
Variety article for the announcement of MeTV Toons is up as well as the channels official website;

https://variety.com/2024/tv/news/metv-toons-network-launch-weigel-broadcasting-warner-bros-discovery-1235988916/

https://metvtoons.com/

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Wow—some real dark horse options there to start a channel: Mr. T, Police Academy, that weird 50s Warner lion guy. I can’t imagine today’s kids or their millennial parents are going to enjoy Race Bannon calling an indigenous village heathen monkeys and ignorant savages before shooting the gently caress out of them with a machine gun, either.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

I AM GRANDO posted:

Wow—some real dark horse options there to start a channel: Mr. T, Police Academy, that weird 50s Warner lion guy. I can’t imagine today’s kids or their millennial parents are going to enjoy Race Bannon calling an indigenous village heathen monkeys and ignorant savages before shooting the gently caress out of them with a machine gun, either.

To be fair MeTV's primary audience are Baby Boomers and older Gen X'ers, in fact one of the things that led to this happening was that their existing Toon In To Me block was consistently outperforming a lot of other big hit rerun shows in the same programming hour like Seinfeld or Law & Order, basically a lot of the selling points from that old Cartoon Network pitch reel video still apply just as strongly today

Also of course a lot of this is WBD wanting to get their older cartoon properties more in the spotlight again(particularly since it won't be all that long till some of them start falling into the Public Domain) as they've come to realize letting so many of them effectively lie fallow for much of the last twenty years or so was a bad idea

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

The Mr. T cartoon into Speed Racer does give off that "Cartoon Network at 5 AM in 2007" vibes.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

John Wick of Dogs posted:

I think the show was just a very basic message of "You can't solve interpersonal problems by getting whatever you want"

then what the hell is the point of having fairy godparents? :colbert:

MorningMoon posted:

Season 3 of Danny Phantom is a quality nosedive, supposedly in large part because Butch got more creative control (he writes more episodes at the very least) and some of the key staff left, but the other large part is what you've mentioned. Season 2 ends with Danny pretty much finishing his arc of becoming a hero.
-In the third tv movie, Reality Trip, he's able to decisively get his parents' approval despite being half ghost. Since Vlad's introduction he could count on it, used that trust to "beat" Vlad the first time, but he always doubted to some degree, but then he sees first hand just how much they would still love and support him, so that's a storyline gone full circle.
-In the last episode of the season, the one with Dani the clone, Danny just straight up beats Vlad physically. Vlad sees the Ghost Wail from the second movie first hand, a power he never had, and it knocks him down. Vlad might've been able to turn things around but Danny's friends show up to run him over and put on the shock belt, but still, it's Danny overpowering the foe that was first introduced as being untouchable.

Danny is shown as overconfident in that season 2 finale and season 3 just plays with that the whole way through since there's no consistent idea anymore of where Danny should go next. Ghost lore also goes down the drain because Danny has bested pretty conclusively all the interesting ghosts, so they throw in some weird elementals to escalate.

danny phantom had a totally fine concept that was primarily ruined by going with the FOP animation style. DP ripped off basically everything from the character designs to even those annoying comedic cues, which at the very least work(ed) in FOP but not at all with DP. absolutely bizarre decision. i think it would have worked immensely better if it was done in the style of Generator Rex or something to that effect.

totally spies is one of those shows like johnny test where i had no idea it had monstrous levels of popularity. just checked wiki and there were 156 episodes :psyduck:

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Mr Interweb posted:

totally spies is one of those shows like johnny test where i had no idea it had monstrous levels of popularity. just checked wiki and there were 156 episodes :psyduck:

Plus a spin off show featuring a different cast that was much shorter lived (and I believe overall less horny/weird)

Rudoku
Jun 15, 2003

Damn I need a drink...

I AM GRANDO posted:

The younger millennials can finally get some of the early jokes in Harvey Birdman: Aal

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Wait, who’s this?

I thought he was a latter-day Looney Tunes guy, but I was thinking of Cool Cat.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

I AM GRANDO posted:

Wait, who’s this?

I thought he was a latter-day Looney Tunes guy, but I was thinking of Cool Cat.

That's Pete Puma!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aGns_QEUPTw

Yes, they're really scraping the bottom of the barrel for this one.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
MeTV Toons just sounds like early-90's CN.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Mr Interweb posted:

It's also one of those weird time abyss shows that never seems to go away because I have distinct memories of it being on TV when I was a teenager, and yet it's still getting new, regular continuity episodes. In 2024.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

nine-gear crow posted:

It's also one of those weird time abyss shows that never seems to go away because I have distinct memories of it being on TV when I was a teenager, and yet it's still getting new, regular continuity episodes. In 2024.

Technically it went away in 2015, they’ve just suddenly decided to bring it back for some reason (with an entirely new English voice cast it seems)

Larryb fucked around with this message at 01:52 on May 5, 2024

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I think you get more of that with foreign-made things that the production is probably going to be linked into a lot of the local things where it's made rather than anything you're familiar with.

Johnny Test is extra weird about it because Canadian media normally has a lot of incentives to end shows quickly instead of going on forever, so I have no idea what's going on with that.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Wait, Johnny Test is STILL going? That show was terrible back when it was new

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

SlothfulCobra posted:

Johnny Test is extra weird about it because Canadian media normally has a lot of incentives to end shows quickly instead of going on forever, so I have no idea what's going on with that.

Whipcrack subsidies under Harper. The foley unions are really strong up there.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Yeah the thing with Totally Spies is that it's first and foremost a French production and then other countries get involved in the funding, like this new season is set in Singapore due to funding from that country being involved

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

drrockso20 posted:

Yeah the thing with Totally Spies is that it's first and foremost a French production and then other countries get involved in the funding, like this new season is set in Singapore due to funding from that country being involved

Also the song that they rewrote for the theme song is WAY different than the one used in the show, and has a neat video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e60G9pxOE-Y

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I believe the French are like dogs and just kind of do things arbitrarily.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
Hearing about this new MeTV channel showing old cartoons and CN maybe showing something other than TTG, I wonder what Boomerang is going to offer.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

drrockso20 posted:

Variety article for the announcement of MeTV Toons is up as well as the channels official website;

https://variety.com/2024/tv/news/metv-toons-network-launch-weigel-broadcasting-warner-bros-discovery-1235988916/

https://metvtoons.com/
jerry beck is part of this project so I assume it's going to basically stay early 90s CN for its lifetime.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I believe the French are like dogs and just kind of do things arbitrarily.

Code Lyoko reboot when then

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Larryb posted:

Code Lyoko reboot when then

Didn't they already do that and it was really bad?

e: poo poo never mind i was thinking of Reboot. Got my 3D video game cartoons mixed up

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

TwoPair posted:

Didn't they already do that and it was really bad?

e: poo poo never mind i was thinking of Reboot. Got my 3D video game cartoons mixed up

It did get a live action sequel called Evolution back in 2013 however that never left France (though official subs can be found on YouTube).

It still wasn’t great though and got cancelled before it could reach a conclusion (I think the company behind it went bankrupt or something)

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

I watched the first few episodes of all the modern Disney cartoons that I had passed on because they don't have as much serial storytelling as other shows. I rank them

1. The Ghost and Molly McGee. This one was the funniest. It's been long since I've laughed that I had thought I'd heard enough jokes to build up an immunity to all forms of comedy.

2. Kiff. The first two episodes were the worst out of the ones I watched. The rest were way better and packed a lot of energy into their runtime. Kiff and The Ghost and Molly McGee also pack the most animation detail into shots that last less than a second. A lot of the time they show a background, I pause to get a better look at it. I couldn't take screenshots in the Disney+ app, so I'll link to the show's Fandom Wiki in case anyone feels like scrolling through them. "The Five Pigeons of the Acapellapocalypse" is one of the best for this because it involves collectables. The show has some surreal and fantasy elements like The Regular Show. They ride an alpine tram to school instead of a bus, and the teacher is a witch who they ask to cast a learn-to-swim spell.

3. Big City Greens. Tilly's quiet asides in the first few episodes made me laugh out loud until I got used to them. "Gramma's License" was touching.

4. Monsters At Work. This one had one moment in the second episode that made me laugh out loud. Tyler's co-workers are having him wrench a nut as part of an initiation ritual. It doesn't go well; the hex nut falls off the screw into an open grate. Everyone looks all :gonk: except for Duncan, who broadly smiles because he hates Tyler.

5. Moon Girl and Devil Dinosaur

6. Phineas and Ferb. I had watched Milo Murphy's Law, and even though it doesn't make me laugh out loud, I really enjoy the creators' sense of humor and turning jokes into plots. I don't rank this as high as some of the other shows because the running gags and structure make it a little repetitive, and I sympathize too much with Candace.

7. Big Hero Six: The Series. The plot of the 45-minute pilot was a logical place to go, but it felt too much like a retread of the movie. Fred's genre-savviness is something that most franchises do when they go on long enough, like the references to "mummies again?" in the third The Mummy movie.

Other than Hiro and Baymax, the characterization seems shallow or flat. Honey Lemon is a perky optimist and Gogo is a morose cynic. In an early episode focusing on them, they even debate whether a glass is half full (Baymax determines it is 51.2% filled). Khary Payton voices Wasabi, and it's hard for me to stop thinking of Wasabi as Cyborg. There are things he says that Cyborg might not say, like talking about taking yoga classes, or how feeling adrenaline from fighting is a new experience for him. That adds up to him being the least likely fighter on the team. I might want to see what they'd do with a Wasabi-focused episode.

8. Hailey's On It. It feels like Disney's live-action content, like High School Musical, in animated form, because there aren't enough sci-fi/fantasy elements to the plot. I always bounced off of that growing up, because the protagonists always seem upper-class in an unrelatable kind of way. The Suite Life of Zach and Cody was airing while my parents and I were living in a motel. The first episode and the sixth episode, "The Show Must Go Wrong", lean into romance between the two protagonists in a Disney Channel kind of way.

galenanorth fucked around with this message at 02:01 on May 8, 2024

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Phineas and Ferb develops a lot over time, and I don't mean narratively. It's a formulaic show with a bunch of things that happen every episode, and they really do every sort of twist and variant on its formula that you can imagine. Candace and Doofenschmirtz really end up as the more interesting characters of the show since they're the proactive ones driving the plots.

Milo Murphy's Law tries more to focus on Milo and his friends instead and has bigger plots with more ideas behind them, but the show isn't as snappy or funny overall despite the work that went into it.

Also I like the songs. With at least one song every episode, Phineas and Ferb goes through a lot of songs with a lot of genres, and there's some really snappy ones in there. Milo Murphy's Law is weirdly much less ambitious musically despite starring musical genius Weird Al. I'm not even really sure that he did work on the writing side of the show in coming up with the songs. Molly McGee is a better followup for the music, there's some real bangers in that show.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I'm having an annoying copyright situation on Youtube. I've tried to start a series discussing the Mask animated series, but the review/analysis of the first half of the first two-parter pilot episode has been copyright claimed. I've disputed (because it only uses about 5 minutes of footage that is almost entirely silenced for my commentary, so it is transformative and not replacing the original) and then appealed, but if the appeal fails and I get struck I'll probably just put the video on my patreon but for free and make a little trailer video discussing the situation, pointing people to where the video is and asking for support if they want to see more as I might not be able to monetise this series. Or I might just try reuploading but keeping monetisation off and see if that makes them lay off, just see how it does with views and subscribers for the videos that ARE monetised.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

I AM GRANDO posted:

Whipcrack subsidies under Harper. The foley unions are really strong up there.

I can get behind finding a way to blame Stephen Harper for Johnny Test. God knows we're about the suffer the wrath of his other weird lab-grown child-man up here :rolleyes:/:v:

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

SlothfulCobra posted:

Molly McGee is a better followup for the music, there's some real bangers in that show.

There are also more than a few gags in the way the songs are used, like the 80s music video song or the one where the titular character's having a nervous breakdown mid-song.

Edit: And of course the one where they take a break from the time loop montage to watch Groundhog DayTime Loop Rodent.

Roadie fucked around with this message at 10:16 on May 8, 2024

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

BioEnchanted posted:

I'm having an annoying copyright situation on Youtube. I've tried to start a series discussing the Mask animated series, but the review/analysis of the first half of the first two-parter pilot episode has been copyright claimed. I've disputed (because it only uses about 5 minutes of footage that is almost entirely silenced for my commentary, so it is transformative and not replacing the original) and then appealed, but if the appeal fails and I get struck I'll probably just put the video on my patreon but for free and make a little trailer video discussing the situation, pointing people to where the video is and asking for support if they want to see more as I might not be able to monetise this series. Or I might just try reuploading but keeping monetisation off and see if that makes them lay off, just see how it does with views and subscribers for the videos that ARE monetised.

who the hell would copyright claim the Mask t.v. show? :confused:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

What's Alex Hirsch up to these days?