Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

enojy posted:

Parallels is generally regarded to be the fastest solution. Well, I suppose Boot Camp would be, but it's true dual booting that requires a reboot to switch between OSes. VMware works just fine, too, but isn't quite as efficient as Parallels. They also ceased production of VMware Fusion last I checked, so if you're interested in updates, I'd go for Parallels.

Wait, so now it's more than just "move development off shores for VMWare? I mean, I know the update the just dropped could have been in the pipeline for a while, but this is the 1st I've heard that it's actually cancelled and not "we handed it off to cut-rate developers, so you'll probably NOT want to buy version 9".

Last Chance posted:

Parallels can also use your Bootcamp partition as a VM

So can VMWare

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

well why not posted:

What's the best bet for running windows programs on a Mac (Explorer...) - parallels / vmware / vagrant? Bootcamp?

Games? Bootcamp.

General use? Parallels.

Don't give a gently caress about having the highest performance and don't want to spend $50 to run IE and your old pirated copy of Office 2007? VirtualBox

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Bob Morales posted:

Don't give a gently caress about having the highest performance and don't want to spend $50 to run IE and your old pirated copy of Office 2007? VirtualBox

I use VirtualBox for stuff like this and Bootcamp for games. If you split a Fusion Drive, and use the second partition for Windows, Windows doesn't utilize the SSD portion of the Fusion Drive at all and is dogshit slow. Using VirtualBox with a macOS host and a Windows guest on the FD is faster. :downs:

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Maybe this post will get me on your ignore list!

Last Chance posted:

Parallels can also use your Bootcamp partition as a VM

So can virtualbox

ChadSexington
Aug 12, 2004
I am so not competitive. In fact, I am the least non-competitive. So I win.
Is there a good (preferably) free application for clearing up space on my Mac? I have a late 2013 rMBP with only a 128 GB SSD and I'm trying to clean things up for Sierra. I found CleanMyMac3, and while there are a bunch of reputable reviews of it and I'm willing to pay for it if it's good and legit, it still kind of reminds me of MacKeeper...

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

ChadSexington posted:

Is there a good (preferably) free application for clearing up space on my Mac? I have a late 2013 rMBP with only a 128 GB SSD and I'm trying to clean things up for Sierra. I found CleanMyMac3, and while there are a bunch of reputable reviews of it and I'm willing to pay for it if it's good and legit, it still kind of reminds me of MacKeeper...

I don't trust automated tools to delete stuff, so I would use something like Disk Inventory X to see where your hard drive space is actually being used. I've used it (and Grand Perspective, which does the same thing) to find applications that had runaway log files, applications I haven't used in ages that were actually gigantic, etc.

And it's free.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

ChadSexington posted:

I've used CleanMyMac for about a year. It's been great for me, although I think $40 is a little steep; I somehow got it for $20. The only problem I've had was when I forgot that letting it clear my web cache would delete my save for Machinarium (a game programmed in Flash). It's definitely nothing like MacKeeper.

smax
Nov 9, 2009

OnceIWasAnOstrich posted:

They released a new version last week for 10 Anniversary guests and Sierra hosts as a free upgrade for current users. I get Fusion at a big discount so I use it over Parallels which I haven't touched in 3-4 years, and it works very well. They can both use Bootcamp partitions as VMs.

Are there still issues activating a Windows 10 on a camp installation under VMware Fusion? I haven't used it in a while, but I remember Windows 10 not wanting to activate under both since the hardware looks different when booted as a VM.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

smax posted:

Are there still issues activating a Windows 10 on a camp installation under VMware Fusion? I haven't used it in a while, but I remember Windows 10 not wanting to activate under both since the hardware looks different when booted as a VM.

There's fix for that on one of the VMWare KB pages. I can't remember it off the top of my head, but it was pretty easy to find with google.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

flosofl posted:

Wait, so now it's more than just "move development off shores for VMWare? I mean, I know the update the just dropped could have been in the pipeline for a while, but this is the 1st I've heard that it's actually cancelled and not "we handed it off to cut-rate developers, so you'll probably NOT want to buy version 9".

Don't take my word for it, I just skimmed an article from who-knows-what website 2 or 3 months ago that mentioned the team at VMware behind Fusion were closing up shop. No idea if that's still the case.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
I just updated Office 365 to 64bit yesterday and it's been buggy as hell and much slower.

"Why yes, I love Excel crashing when I try and save. Awesome."

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money
What time will the Sierra update hit the app store, does everyone think? Like 10AM PST?

ChadSexington
Aug 12, 2004
I am so not competitive. In fact, I am the least non-competitive. So I win.

Pivo posted:

I don't trust automated tools to delete stuff, so I would use something like Disk Inventory X to see where your hard drive space is actually being used. I've used it (and Grand Perspective, which does the same thing) to find applications that had runaway log files, applications I haven't used in ages that were actually gigantic, etc.

And it's free.

Weedle posted:

I've used CleanMyMac for about a year. It's been great for me, although I think $40 is a little steep; I somehow got it for $20. The only problem I've had was when I forgot that letting it clear my web cache would delete my save for Machinarium (a game programmed in Flash). It's definitely nothing like MacKeeper.

Thanks guys, I'll try Disk Inventory X first to see if I clean some stuff manually, and then fallback to CleanMyMac if needed. For what it's worth, I was able to find a 20% discount code online pretty easily, which brings it down to a more palatable $31, although $20 would definitely be the sweet spot.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Krispy Kareem posted:

I just updated Office 365 to 64bit yesterday and it's been buggy as hell and much slower.

Usually the thing about 64bit Office is that macros don't work anymore.

That's why people generally don't upgrade unless they have utterly massive Excel files.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Bob Morales posted:

Games? Bootcamp.

General use? Parallels.

Looking into Bootcamp + Parallels. What's the rule of thumb for partition size. Have abour 120gb free on a 500gb ssd.

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

well why not posted:

Looking into Bootcamp + Parallels. What's the rule of thumb for partition size. Have abour 120gb free on a 500gb ssd.

I made a 80gb partition for bootcamp and works okay.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

ChadSexington posted:

Is there a good (preferably) free application for clearing up space on my Mac? I have a late 2013 rMBP with only a 128 GB SSD

Buy a 256GB, trust me
Have you moved your movies/music to a USB or SD card?

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Okay, something's happening.

In my App Store Purchased menu there was both "macOS Sierra" and "macOS Sierra Public Beta."

This morning I checked it and "macOS Sierra" (build 16A323) is gone. PB is still there.

C'mon, release already so I can see what build I should keep..

:f5:

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Palo Alto had better release their VPN client compat update today or I'm going to be stuck on ElCap with no Siri to talk to :(

It was completely broken for me on the Sierra public beta :\

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Woot! It (Sierra) just reappeared in App Store, not in Featured but in my Purchased, gonna DL and see..

Edit: it's ALIVE (I think?)

Web address:

https://itunes.apple.com/gb/app/macos-sierra/id1127487414?mt=12

Binary Badger fucked around with this message at 17:46 on Sep 20, 2016

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

It just finished downloading.. I got installer version 12.0.49 so its most likely build 16A323.. well I ain't gonna reinstall, gonna do a quick MD5 of both images..

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Binary Badger posted:

It just finished downloading.. I got installer version 12.0.49 so its most likely build 16A323.. well I ain't gonna reinstall, gonna do a quick MD5 of both images..
Just open it up to find the build number.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
How do I make a bootable USB thing with this?

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Jose Oquendo posted:

How do I make a bootable USB thing with this?

http://www.macworld.com/article/3092900/macs/how-to-create-a-bootable-macos-sierra-installer-drive.html

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

^^^ Remember to remove the string 'Public Beta' from that command!

Hot Dog Day 42069 posted:

Just open it up to find the build number.

Eh, got a different MD5 between the two, so just to be safe it's off to reinstall land.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Safari 10 just dropped for Yosemite and El Capitan as well!

Requires a restart?!

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Weird. I swear I did this for the Beta.app and it didn't work, but it appears to be working now.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Welp, Safari 10 didn't trash all my extensions on El Crapitan, so I guess that's a plus..

Edit: Oh god all my text just became microscopic, why the gently caress did they take away the minimum font size?!

Edit 2: Default Page Zoom looks like the default answer. poo poo.

Binary Badger fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Sep 20, 2016

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money
Sierra is good!

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

enojy posted:

Don't take my word for it, I just skimmed an article from who-knows-what website 2 or 3 months ago that mentioned the team at VMware behind Fusion were closing up shop. No idea if that's still the case.

I was browsing the VMWare official forums several months ago and there was a thread about this. As you'd expect the thread was mostly users worried for Fusion's future, but one of the Fusion engineers (with a employee badge and the post history to confirm he was the real deal) chimed in to say that the press coverage was an exaggeration and that the core engineering team was still there. IIRC he said it was mostly tech support and maybe testing which got laid off. Which is still not good, but much less devastating to the product's future than outsourcing the entire engineering effort and losing all the institutional knowledge.

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

Don't upgrade to Sierra if you use either Seil or Karabiner. They are broken and will continue to be broken for the foreseeable future.

:negative:

Pakistani Brad Pitt
Nov 28, 2004

Not as taciturn, but still terribly powerful...

I'm not seeing Sierra in the App Store > Check for Updates. Do they stagger the release at all? Running El Capitan on an otherwise fully updated 2013 rMBP.

As for VMs, I'm perfectly happy with Parallels, though my use case is testing Windows desktop software so I've completely sandboxed the VMs except for a Dropbox folder that I use to exchange files between the VM and the host Mac. For that purpose it works very well, can't speak to any of the convergence features that they seem to be mostly pushing.

I can't imagine wanting to run Windows software seamlessly on my Mac outside of a sandbox, it seems like it would be a security hole and a source of weird issues from the black magic they are doing to accomplish that, but maybe I'm wrong.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

MrChupon posted:

I'm not seeing Sierra in the App Store > Check for Updates. Do they stagger the release at all? Running El Capitan on an otherwise fully updated 2013 rMBP.
It's not technically an update, it's a new piece of software (so it's in the store).

Pakistani Brad Pitt
Nov 28, 2004

Not as taciturn, but still terribly powerful...

computer parts posted:

It's not technically an update, it's a new piece of software (so it's in the store).

Ah, there it is, thanks.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

The logitech software poo poo the bed after I upgraded to Sierra. My mouse can only do basic functions right now. Get on it, Logitech.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

computer parts posted:

Huh. It showed up in updates for me.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Yeah news sites said it would be in the Updates section soon.

Phoenixan
Jan 16, 2010

Just Keep Cool-idge
So far, my only issue is that there's no way to return the notification center back to dark mode to match my dark titlebar and dock. :manning:

But overall, it's a fine update. Nothing seems to have broken at all, including my ancient programs that haven't released updates in a year or more.

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain

Krispy Kareem posted:

I've made the same change and it's been much quicker for me. I use Excel a fair bit and haven't had issues saving, but I also use really basic functionality. Wonder why our experiences would be so different.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
Half of the macs at my work are 2009 iMacs, and I have been enjoying getting life out of them still by having 10.9 through 10.11 support them.

It looks like they cut off support for everything pre-2010 with 10.12. Sadness. Oh well, they were capped at 4GB RAM anyhow.