Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Join The Helldivers!
Freedom!
Democracy!
Liber-tea!
Call for reinforcements!
View Results

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

i love the light stealth armor, but you really have to pair it with a team of NOT IDIOTS who know better than to instantly shoot at every patrol they see a hundred miles away and aggro everyone on the map aaaaaaaaaaagghghghghhhh

also idk if it was a glitch or a hacker but in a game today a guy was throwing eagle airstrikes after the destroyer left.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug
Played a bunch of bots tonight and wow the counter sniper rips. Quickly picks off all the troopers at range so there’s not a ton of suppressing fire spamming at the team while dealing with devs and hulks. And ofc AC tears up the devs and hulks but the counter sniper takes out devs in a pinch.

I switched to the +30% throw distance armor vs bots after thinking on how the key to bots is to blow them up as soon as the bot drop happens but a lot of the time the bot drops are out of throw range. Not anymore.

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug

Sagebrush posted:

also idk if it was a glitch or a hacker but in a game today a guy was throwing eagle airstrikes after the destroyer left.

i saw that two days ago

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying

Sokani posted:

Just had my first run in with Factory Striders. I was trying to shoot them in the face hole with the AMR, does that do anything? Both times they ended up dying to an airstrike but I'm not sure if I helped at all.
Enough shots in the eye visor with a support weapon will kill them, but it's much faster to get close and shoot the belly. Either way take out the chin guns first of course.

Since different body parts have separate health bars technically it's a waste to be shooting the head and bombing the body, but unless you're on comms there's no way to coordinate quickly so might as well do what you can.

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:
Unlocked the Purifier and finally got around to trying it out
  1. Aesthetically it's a lot of fun to shoot! Well, right up until you have to do damage
  2. It does not do nearly enough (of anything) to justify the 1.3s charge time, wtf. For reference the Arc Thrower has a 1s charge
  3. According to this site using datamined numbers it actually has light armour pen (AP2) rather than the listed medium armour pen (AP3), which is a big lol, lmao

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Sokani posted:

Just had my first run in with Factory Striders. I was trying to shoot them in the face hole with the AMR, does that do anything? Both times they ended up dying to an airstrike but I'm not sure if I helped at all.
You can kill them with AMR/AC/laser cannon if you hit the less armored parts of the face. Going for the eye is easiest.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Insert name here posted:

1. Aesthetically it's a lot of fun to shoot! Well, right up until you have to do damage
  2. It does not do nearly enough (of anything) to justify the 1.3s charge time, wtf. For reference the Arc Thrower has a 1s charge
  3. According to this site using datamined numbers it actually has light armour pen (AP2) rather than the listed medium armour pen (AP3), which is a big lol, lmao

Hard same, I just unlocked it and WOOF its so bad.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Sagebrush posted:

i love the light stealth armor, but you really have to pair it with a team of NOT IDIOTS who know better than to instantly shoot at every patrol they see a hundred miles away and aggro everyone on the map aaaaaaaaaaagghghghghhhh

That's why the stealth armor is so great, so you can instantly dip out of the fight and either flank the botball or revive your dead teammates at a safer distance. If you go prone and snipe at a distance with the AMR/AC they don't even know you're shooting at them

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007

Insert name here posted:

According to this site using datamined numbers it actually has light armour pen (AP2) rather than the listed medium armour pen (AP3), which is a big lol, lmao
Like the other plasma weapons, the impact is 2 and the AOE is 3.

Really it's more that the scorcher and plasma punisher should say they're medium.

Xerxes17
Feb 17, 2011

Horace Kinch posted:

I hate blitz missions. 12 minutes isn't nearly enough time for me to effectively spread democracy.

Blitz vs Bots is cool and good and feels like the first chapter of book Starship Troopers talking about the raid vs the Skinnies.

Blitz vs Bugs is annoying as poo poo because you need to get your grenade or stratagems to land ~just so~ to make them close the nests while you're getting swarmed, because you can't stop to deal with the swarm fully, unless you go for the barrage and run route I guess.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
It's really easy to drive by bug holes if you use anything other than impacts or grenade pistol. Precision strikes and 500s are also great for bug blitzes.

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012
I did a mission, one where the map is divided by overhanging rock, started the mission, threw down my support weapon and some turrets, turrets came down but couldn't find my support weapon.

It landed on the overhanging rock. Denying me a support weapon for half the mission.

Your Brain on Hugs
Aug 20, 2006
A valuable physics lesson learned

novaSphere
Jan 25, 2003

Insert name here posted:

The charge time is faster than it seems and you can release a tiny bit early and still get the shot off, just like the Arc Thrower. The Purifier and Arc Thrower's firing cadences are virtually identical as far as I can tell. Once you get the rhythm down it feels alright.

The main perk of the Purifier is it's basically the Slugger 1.0 with splash damage - it has identical (excellent) stagger as the Punisher Plasma but at far longer ranges while still being forgiving with shot placement. It can stagger Devastators (including Heavy Devs through the shield) and kill them in 3-5 shots as long as you aim for their midsection. The splash radius and damage is enough to catch multiple troopers in patrols, and it's incredibly efficient with its magazine compared to the Scorcher and Plasma Punisher.

I don't really like it for bugs, but it's quickly become one of my favorite weapons against bots. It has its problems, but it's perfectly serviceable.

novaSphere fucked around with this message at 08:15 on May 13, 2024

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

latest trend seems to be kicking me as soon as the mission is over and we're all back on the ship. idk wtf

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
Current most pressing issue: this armor combo looks loving sick from the front-

-but then from the back, you see the unfitting turqoise tubes on the helmet and the offwhite cape that doesn't quite match.

part recoloring when

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

LazyMaybe posted:

-but then from the back, you see the unfitting turqoise tubes on the helmet and the offwhite cape that doesn't quite match.

part recoloring when

Still looks sick. I Bought that helmet purely to use with the white Democracy Protects armour when I get around to unlocking it

FunkyFjord
Jul 18, 2004

Argas posted:

Shriekers are too uncommon and the breaker does well enough against them.

IIRC it had a bigger spread which was my main knock against it. The incendiary doing more total damage due to fire didn't matter since my preference for the breaker is from one (via decap) or two-shotting warriors and hunters for space. The incendiary just didn't kill in as few shots and wouldn't buy me space since the fire didn't stun.

I also kind of prefer the breaker over the breaker incendiary. Standard breaker definitely has a tighter spread even though they're both meant for close range max spread it feels worse to whiff a lot with the incendiary variant. That said I did try out incendiary breaker on several bug missions and it puts it real good work, just amazing trash clear where the regular breaker is better at evaporating anything that gets too close.

Sindai posted:

Enough shots in the eye visor with a support weapon will kill them, but it's much faster to get close and shoot the belly. Either way take out the chin guns first of course.

Since different body parts have separate health bars technically it's a waste to be shooting the head and bombing the body, but unless you're on comms there's no way to coordinate quickly so might as well do what you can.

Yeah I feel like going for the belly doors takes out walkers the quickest but it's also the riskiest move especially if you haven't taken out those chin chain guns and there are any other bots around at all.

Usually I end up taking them out by contributing to group stratagem spam, the only time I've taken them out by assaulting the face was with the laser cannon and that worked surprisingly well but I'm still not the biggest laser cannon fan in other situations. AC and RR are definitely my favorite bot support weapons. LCs good though.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

LazyMaybe posted:

part recoloring when

I have the exact same issue with that helmet lol. Looks awesome from the front, but the turquoise on the back ain't it.

FunkyFjord
Jul 18, 2004

Just had a mission with double double gunship towers right next to each other.

The team was a little split up and I saw a couple of gunships heading off past me while the map was in the middle of a blizzard so I decided to beeline it in the direction they came from. Then the blizzard let up right as I got to the tower and there were four more ships hovering in the sky and two more about to come out, but we had activated a SAM PoI and one person brought a AC so the gunships were falling pretty fast. The instant I destroyed one tower I looked toward my closest teammate and saw them running up on the second tower, hadn't noticed it before that but it explained the sometimes six simultaneous gunships floating around for the last couple of minutes.

Democracy bless that SAM outpost though, between that and a mate's AC I only got to take down a couple of gunships with the RR. I didn't even know if those things targeted gunships before now, I just always hit them up because they're good for taking out dropships.

Spent the whole operation running around with the Purifier too and I'm still mixed on it. It definitely feels better than I initially gave it credit. Does okay damage to the back of a hulk but the counter sniper, all assault rifles, and most shotguns are probably still better there. Clears the tiniest bots fairly easily but I feel like it's easier to hit groups of them with the plasma punisher, purifier does have more range though. Not really all that great against devastators but it will stagger them until they eventually die, I was even able to stagger a pair of devastators a couple of times. I still feel like it might have the same hitbox issue as the plasma punisher on launch and other than that I don't really know what I would change about it to avoid making it too good. Maybe slightly faster initial charge, it certainly handles fine and reloads quickly, has enough ammo, aoe seems smaller than it's visual appearance but tbh it's size is fully capable of taking out 3-5 closely packed together raiders. It's pretty okay as is, might just be a preference thing.

Hats Wouldnt Fly
Feb 9, 2010

Redfont is my hero.

Sagebrush posted:

latest trend seems to be kicking me as soon as the mission is over and we're all back on the ship. idk wtf

There's no other way for the host to politely deteam without exiting the game and restarting. Probably getting people that want to look through menus without making you wait.

The D in Detroit
Oct 13, 2012
I kicked two divers who were totally ready to go because my friends got online and I felt so bad lmao

BastardySkull
Apr 12, 2007

Yeah the game pretty much forces you to be an arsehole like that sometimes if you want to play with your friends.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Sagebrush posted:

After you get all the rewards? If that's the only time you get kicked count yourself lucky.

boz
Oct 16, 2005

The D in Detroit posted:

I kicked two divers who were totally ready to go because my friends got online and I felt so bad lmao

When this happens I normally quit the game and relaunch so it tells them I left

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

LazyMaybe posted:

part recoloring when

nooooo gently caress I just bought that helmet on a whim cause I thought it would match the other white armors

wtf arrowhead tell your fuckin art team not to stick random-rear end colors on the gear. i also get very annoyed at the heavy armor from the steeled veterans warbond, which has a single streak of orange on its shoulder that stops it from matching any of the white helmets, and the cutting edge warbond with the helmets that have some random-colored fabric on the back that doesn't match anything

and the twitch armor that's a different shade of green than anything else in the game, and the weirdo armor halfway down the free warbond that uses blacks that aren't seen anywhere else, and

Dyz
Dec 10, 2010
The butcher helmet from the heavy medic armor matches that armor pretty well

Sir DonkeyPunch
Mar 23, 2007

I didn't hear no bell

Dyz posted:

The butcher helmet from the heavy medic armor matches that armor pretty well

that's what i ran for a while, with the cape from medic page of the base warbond(?) You gotta lean into the green accents

edit: i mean the butcher helmet with the white democracy armor

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

they should make the purifier work like how the purifier was supposed to work. that would be pretty cool imo

IIRC the gun fired remote detonation projectiles or whatever, it shot whenever you pressed m1 and the detonation happened whenever you released it. Holding m1 longer increased the damage of the explosion so you could rapid fire it if you wanted or use it to kill groups of bots that walked around a corner or charge it all the way up for brood commanders. idk what happened between the weapon previews being written and the gun being released

turn off the TV fucked around with this message at 14:51 on May 13, 2024

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

turn off the TV posted:

they should make the purifier work like how the purifier was supposed to work. that would be pretty cool imo

IIRC the gun fired remote detonation projectiles or whatever, it shot whenever you pressed m1 and the detonation happened whenever you released it. Holding m1 longer increased the damage of the explosion so you could rapid fire it if you wanted or use it to kill groups of bots that walked around a corner or charge it all the way up for brood commanders. idk what happened between the weapon previews being written and the gun being released

They should just put the sticky bomb launcher from TF2 in this game. And every game tbh

hey mom its 420
May 12, 2007

The D in Detroit posted:

once I was playing with two coworkers (one of whom’s a close friend) and another coworker wanted to join us, but there was a pubbie that was playing with us. my friend wanted to kick him to make room, but I was like nah that would be very inconsiderate to the pubbie because he did almost the whole mission with us, and my friend agreed.

turns out the pubbie was our good buddy whom we hang out with all the time and we were trying to get him to play the game lol. i’m kinda sorry I talked him down from kicking the guy because if he did, he’d never hear the end of it lol

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

If you type out "good dives patriots! I've got a friend joining, mind leaving?" 90 percent of the time they'll quit

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

also cool, someone did the math and the guard dog's liberator has 50% of the bullets per magazine that the actual liberator does. that explains a lot i think

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009

Had a mighty haul with some pubs :patriot:

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

I am glad to report in my experience being denied a hug in return is extremely rare

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

TheDeadlyShoe posted:

If you type out "good dives patriots! I've got a friend joining, mind leaving?" 90 percent of the time they'll quit

Or if you stand facing a corner like Mike in the Blair Witch Project most pubbies just bail anyway.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

turn off the TV posted:

also cool, someone did the math and the guard dog's liberator has 50% of the bullets per magazine that the actual liberator does. that explains a lot i think

Ugh -_-

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Is there a reason you'd want the Liberator over the Laser dog anyway?

Hats Wouldnt Fly
Feb 9, 2010

Redfont is my hero.

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

It's a machine that makes loose parts out of bot foreheads.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

Not really, it's hard to justify it. If the ammo was infinite, it might be a different story but...