Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

Knuc If U Buck posted:

I'm reading storm again, and I forgot this because in my head I seemed to remember Grenn or someone saving him, but he actually overpowers Small Paul Wight with his fatness and kills him by stuffing a torch into his mouth.

Sam also clobbers Dareon in Braavos by falling on him.

At some point, it'll become a superpower.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

O Muhammad, I seek your intercession with my Lord for the return of my eyesight
Sam "the gravity" well Tarly.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Aurain posted:

This is the only acceptable order for favourite characters.

Actually, yeah, I keep forgetting that AFFC was when I started to like Jaime. That was an awesome thing too. Jaime, Stannis the Mannis, and Victarion. That's the money, right there.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
Wuuuh... Why did I forget about this thread and asoiaf for a month?

Edit: I was a really good month too

p.crestmont
Feb 17, 2012

Blind Sally posted:

Actually, yeah, I keep forgetting that AFFC was when I started to like Jaime. That was an awesome thing too. Jaime, Stannis the Mannis, and Victarion. That's the money, right there.

GRRM is going to take them all away from you...well maybe not Jaime, but Stannis and Victarion are doomed.

e: actually yeah he's taking them all away since he isn't going to finish the series.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
What's the cutoff point between Dreams and Dust and After the Feast?

Anders
Nov 8, 2004

I'd rather score...

... but I'll grind it good for you

Shoehead posted:

Wuuuh... Why did I forget about this thread and asoiaf for a month?

Edit: I was a really good month too

Why didn't you leave while you had the chance. Now you will be forever doomed.

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Yureina posted:

It was my understanding that this happened before Dany went to Qarth, and so that it wouldn't have been Pyat Pree.

Did a warlock try to assassinate her with a manticore after she burned them up in their house?

Joramun
Dec 1, 2011

No man has need of candles when the Sun awaits him.

Anders posted:

ASoIaF is like the mafia. The only way you can ever truly leave is in a casket.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

fleshweasel posted:

Did a warlock try to assassinate her with a manticore after she burned them up in their house?

The Warlocks hire an assassin from a group in Qarth called the Sorrowful Ones and the assassin pulls the manticore trick on her. The show decided to just make a warlock do it so it's less confusing since there's already a billion factions for the show babbys to have to deal with and it's too much for their tiny non book reading brains.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

Anders posted:

Just when I thought I was out, ya pull me back in!

Woodpile
Mar 30, 2013

Shoehead posted:

Just when I thought I was out, ya pull me back in!

Editor's cut from Qarl/Asha sexy funtime?

suburban virgin
Jul 26, 2007
Highly qualified lurker.

Blind Sally posted:

Jaime, Stannis the Mannis, and Victarion. That's the money, right there.

All of these people will die in the next book.

j/k there will be no next book

Sarkozymandias
May 25, 2010

THAT'S SYOUS D'RAVEN

Junkenstein posted:

Entering 10 characters into a computer from the 70's every 8 hours? Isn't that how GRRM writes?

Holy poo poo. Raddest GURMBURN.

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

It's not that kind of test.

Blind Sally posted:

One of the things I love about Jaime's arc is that everyone pegs him as a dumb jock but he ends up being more effective than basically anyone else at using his authority to get poo poo done.

p.crestmont
Feb 17, 2012

Chinston Wurchill posted:

One of the things I love about Jaime's arc is that everyone pegs him as a dumb jock but he ends up being more effective than basically anyone else at using his authority to get poo poo done.

Yeah he's been running from having an authority role because he doesn't want to be like his father(because Tywin is a dick), but when he's forced into it he's actually really capable.

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe

geeves posted:

AFFC got much better after reading ADWD.

My broken finger didn't hurt as much once my leg was broken.

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

The devil can cite Scripture for his purpose!

Fog Tripper posted:

My broken finger didn't hurt as much once my leg was broken.

My haemorrhoids didn't bother me as much once I got my urinary tract infection.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

A Dance with Dragons wasn't so bad once we got The Winds of Winter :getin:

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

gently caress this is going to happen isn't it?

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

GRRM's ASOIAF books weren't as bad once we got Kevin J. Anderson having to finish the last book.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

pentyne posted:

GRRM's ASOIAF books weren't as bad once we got Kevin J. Anderson having to finish the last book.

MEANWHILE, BACK AT THE WALL:
The author is dead. Please watch the tv show to see how this poo poo ends.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Intel&Sebastian posted:

gently caress this is going to happen isn't it?

Of course not. There will be no next book.

rypakal
Oct 31, 2012

He also cooks the food of his people

Chinston Wurchill posted:

To be fair, his primary competition is Cersei. It's not hard to shine next to that turd.

kcroy
May 30, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Fog Tripper posted:

How was it duress at the point she said yes? The guy put like an hour of foreplay in, and she (at least the way gurm wrote it) was quite willing and ready at that point.

The Iron Rose posted:

Can you just like, stop. Please.

Man that poo poo is straight up female fantasy. Jesus. Sold to a barbarian prince, who takes her maiden head in a rough yet romantic way - there is no word for "no" in Barbarian or whatever poo poo that was. Saved from her evil brother/father/lover, and thus inheriting 2 crowns ( westeros and ultimately Dragos Horsefuckers ). I mean he even gave her a my pretty pony, and she learned their nomadic ways... That section is a lovely romance novel, not something for people to get all "rapey" about.

You know whats a rape? That poo poo Gregor does to that 13 year Inn keeps daughter, and making the Father give him change.

edit: thought of more stupid fantasy poo poo going on with the penniless princess being married off to the barbarian prince...

kcroy fucked around with this message at 09:05 on Aug 18, 2013

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

kcroy posted:

Man that poo poo is straight up female fantasy. Jesus. Sold to a barbarian prince, who takes her maiden head in a rough yet romantic way - there is no word for "no" in Barbarian or whatever poo poo that was. I mean he even gave her a my pretty pony, and she learned their nomadic ways... That section is a lovely romance novel, not something for people to get all "rapey" about.

You know whats a rape? That poo poo Gregor does to that 13 year Inn keeps daughter, and making the Father give him change.

Yes.

Being literally sold to and subsequently raped by a warlord who literally doesn't understand consent is totally my female fantasy. Absolutely.

Now, given this is SA, I actually can't tell if you're being sarcastic or not. If you are, good job, feel free to ignore the following, my apologies for being an idiot.

See, this is the thing with ASOIAF and every other piece of medievalesque fantasy - you actually have to judge it, on a moral basis, on your own, present day merits. Just because, in that time frame, women literally could not give or rescind their consent does not in fact mean that consent is meaningless.

So yeah. The teenager (how old is Dany again?) who got sold into marriage is actually just much a rape victim as the thirteen year old commoner, and gently caress you, you ignorant piece of poo poo, for actually making me say that.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

kcroy posted:

Raping a thirteen year old girl, bad. Selling a thirteen year old girl to be a horse lord's bride, totally cool.

Anders
Nov 8, 2004

I'd rather score...

... but I'll grind it good for you
WELCOME TO THE BAD DUMB THREAD.

Joramun
Dec 1, 2011

No man has need of candles when the Sun awaits him.
Just going to put "The Iron Rose" on ignore now, because she only comes into this thread to cherrypick (and appears to specifially scan for) posts about her pet peeve so she can rage about it. No one here needs you to educate anybody on anything at all, so get off your high horse and put away the lecture pointer. You probably mean well, but it's all nipples on a breastplate.

Now for more important matters: I'm pretty sure Magysty McMurphy, acclaimed author of Barbarian Breezes, was also the name of a Harry Potter character at some point, probably a Defense Against the Dark Arts teacher.

SaviourX
Sep 30, 2003

The only true Catwoman is Julie Newmar, Lee Meriwether, or Eartha Kitt.

It's only ~horse romance~ if the author is female.

Anyway, let's not poo poo up this thread with figurative poo poo, ok???

captain platypus
Aug 30, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER
What do you think a boiled lemon tastycake would taste like?

kcroy
May 30, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

PittTheElder posted:

Raping a thirteen year old girl, bad. Selling a thirteen year old girl to be a horse lord's bride, totally cool.

no no no - one does not bargain with dothraki that way - she was a gift! Here go read some Clan of the Cave Bear

some female pedo posted:

He looked around, the down at the woman sitting at his feet, waiting with unruffled composure for him to get on with his rebuke and be on his way. She's worse than ever since she became a Woman, he thought....What can I make her do?....Wait, she's a woman now, isn't she? There's something I can make her do.

Broud gave her a signal, and Ayla's eyes flew open. It was unexpected. Iza told her men only wanted that from women they considered attractive; she knew Broud thought she was ugly....He signaled her again, imperiously, to assume the position so he could relieve his needs, the position for sexual intercourse...

Ayla knew what was expected...Many young girls of the Clan were pierced by pubescent boys who lingered in the limbo of not-yet-men, before their first kill; and occasionally a man, beguiled by a young coquette pleased himself with a not-quite-ripe female...Within a society that indulged in sex as naturally as they breahted, Ayla was still a virgin.

The young woman felt awkward; she knew she must comply, but she was flustered and Broud was enjoying it. He was glad he had thought of it; he had finally broken down her defenses. It excited him to see her so confused and bewildered, and aroused him...

Broud got impatient, pushed her down, and moved aside his wrap exposing his organ, thick and throbbing...She's so ugly, she should be honored, no other man would have her, he thought angrily, grabbing at his wrap to move it out of the way as his need grew....

But as Broud closed in on her, something snapped. She couldn't do it! She just couldn't. Her reason left her. It didn't matter that she was supposed to obey him. She scrambled to her feet and started to run. Broud was too quick for her. He grabbed her, pushed her down, and punched her in the face, cutting her lip with his hard fist. He was beginning to enjoy this. Too many times had he restrained himself when he wanted to beat her, but there was no one to stop him here. And he had justifiable reason-she was disobeying him, actively disobeying him...

She was nearly unconscious when he threw her over on her face, feverishly ripped her wrap aside, and spread her legs. With one hard thrust, he penetrated deeply. She screamed with pain. It added to his pleasure. He lunged again, drawing forth another painful cry, then again, and again. The intensity of his excitement urged him on, rising quickly to unbearable peaks. With a last hard drive that extracted a final agonized scream, he ejected his built up heat.

The Iron Rose posted:

my apologies for being an idiot.

...you ignorant piece of poo poo, for actually making me say that.

It's ok, we are all here so we can learn from each other. I forgive your ignorance, and encourage you to keep coming back, despite the hurtful statements of other posters.

The Iron Rose posted:

I don't have the same fantasies as other women, therefore those fantasies are wrong.

Look, Dany's coming of age - her rise from the ashes ( literally ) - is only possible because of her powerless position at the beginning. I don't think anyone is seriously suggesting that we revert to an age where women are just a means to further the bloodline, and are used as pawns in political marriages - but I don't think you can deny that there is a valid fantasy element in that world - might not be your fantasy, but it sure as poo poo an aspect of a LOT of people's at some level.

And that set up for this "horrible world" being so bad is what makes her rise that much better. I mean, I don't think that anyone who enjoys reading post apocalyptic/ dystopian fiction actually WANTS any of that poo poo to happen. I don't think that anyone who reads war novels, REALLY WANTS to be in a loving fox hole with bombs going off and the stench of death surrounding them. But that doesn't make the fantasy somehow a heresy.

I think it is completely valid to say that Dany found both physical and emotional pleasure in her relationship with Drago.

Who are you to judge that poor girl?

Oops for this part:

quote:

The teenager (how old is Dany again?) who got sold into marriage is actually just much a rape victim as the thirteen year old commoner

Yes, just as every prostitute in the book, and any woman who at any point consumed alcohol and was thus not able to completely consent to sexual intercourse was raped.

Just curious though - is your world really so black and white that you equate those two situations as being completely equal? You don't see a teensy bit of difference between them?

kcroy fucked around with this message at 11:54 on Aug 18, 2013

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax
Yeah, Dany's more like a mail-order bride who marries Drogo to get her Dothraki green card.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

kcroy posted:

That section is a lovely romance novel, not something for people to get all "rapey" about.

There actually is a fairly large criticism of the romance genre for being rapey and anti-woman. Even when they're written by women, they still have an uncomfortable tendancy to be horrible and misogynistic. So saying "bah, it's just a lovely romance novel, stop crowing on about rape, it's just a genre convention" is pretty terrible.

I like to think TB Thread is the only modern author capable of representing women in a just, egalitarian way.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.

kcroy posted:

Just curious though - is your world really so black and white that you equate those two situations as being completely equal? You don't see a teensy bit of difference between them?

Jesus Christ, dude, she's not mad because she's judging Dany's subjective experience of agency in a patriarchal system, she's mad because you implied it's a universal or even prevalent 'female fantasy' to be abducted by a barbarian who has no concept of consent at age thirteen.

You could have a civilized conversation about Dany's situation if you just apologized for that first.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

kcroy posted:

might not be your fantasy, but it sure as poo poo an aspect of a LOT of people's at some level.

Yeah, but they are all members of NAMBLA.

kcroy
May 30, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

General Battuta posted:

you implied it's a universal or even prevalent 'female fantasy' to be abducted by a barbarian who has no concept of consent at age thirteen.

You could have a civilized conversation about Dany's situation if you just apologized for that first.
I'm pretty sure Iron Rose isn't capable of a civilized conversation on this topic. And I'm more than "implying" that rape fantasies are common, I'm stating it. "Many women fantasize about being raped". I state this from personal experience, and from what I have read: http://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/all-about-sex/201001/womens-rape-fantasies-how-common-what-do-they-mean.

I also disagree with your comment that a 13 year old has "no concept of consent". Legally, in the united states, they do not - but this is not some universal truth. The age of consent in Spain is 13 and lower in Mexico. I'm pretty sure its 14 in some states in the US. As someone who, at 13 was having sex with other 13 year olds - I can state that I did in fact have "some concept" of consent. Was it an adult, mature, concept of sex - no it wasn't. But to imply that Dany's character had no ability to consent - I just disagree with that.

What really confuses me is that if you feel so strongly about this, and were so completely repulsed by what happened - why did you keep reading? I mean, if our heroine was a 2 year old, who was raped and had her limbs cut off in the beginning of the story arc, I would have put that loving book down. But you read about poor little dany, whose brother bad touched her nipples, and had oh so non consensual sex with her "Sun and Stars" and ya'll kept on reading.

So spare me the moral indignation.

There actually is a fairly large criticism of the romance genre for being rapey and anti-woman. Even when they're written by women, they still have an uncomfortable tendancy to be horrible and misogynistic. So saying "bah, it's just a lovely romance novel, stop crowing on about rape, it's just a genre convention" is pretty terrible.

And yet they still sell. Why do you think that is?

kcroy fucked around with this message at 15:52 on Aug 18, 2013

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
I apologize if I was unclear, but looking back at my post, I hope it's obvious I meant the barbarian had no concept of consent. She's abducted, at age thirteen, by a barbarian with no concept of consent.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
GRRM is the Orson Scott Card of rape and pedophilia.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Woodpile
Mar 30, 2013
GRRM writes the type of books he wants to read. And he likes reading about rape. Especially gang rape with a little marital rape and wife beating thrown in for variety. And child rape. Dogs. All kinds of rape, really. He is just exploring his craft: in the bathroom with a box of limited edition GOT-themed tissues. We'll get another book when he can't get it up for the Jeyne/Reek/Ramsay scene any longer.