Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

LingcodKilla posted:

Still boggles the mind they ran out of wood.

I remember hearing in some pop history book that few Native Americans thought that the Europeans had come because they ran out of wood in their homeland, and the author noted that they weren't too far off

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ughhhh
Oct 17, 2012

LingcodKilla posted:

The northern parts of the Indian subcontinent ran out of wood during the 1950~60 when alot of development was happening. It was a huge deal, that led to some radical reforestation and community management to get local timber/wood levels to a manageable level. If you look at pictures from say national geographic from the 60s onwards of places like Nepal and compare that to now, you would see literally no tress on mountainsides. Kathmandu valley was completely bare of trees until the 80s, and it led to a whole bunch of villages vanishing overnight due to landslides and erosion.

edit: by development i dont mean better things. Stuff like introduction of coal/charcoal stoves. Disruption of past trade links (wood and charcoal from the south as trade goods). Disruption of communal forestry and land management (men and leadership being diverted to WWII and wage labor in cities).

ughhhh fucked around with this message at 09:25 on Sep 20, 2018

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

If you picture how much fuckin charcoal you need to make a window or god forbid a church bell it's honestly surprising that they didn't run out earlier.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Monocled Falcon posted:

I remember someone trying the dry linen scurb method in modern times, has anyone tried to see how clean you could get with a strigil?

I maintain that there's be a market for a proper Roman bathing experience (light workout in a warm room, oil + scraping, big old sweat and a cold plunge. Nudism tolerated if not outright encouraged) but disappointingly the Thermae Baths in Bath don't offer such a thing.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

At one point about 120 years ago Pennsylvania was completely deforested save some acres of remote virgin forest. There were no deer left if you can imagine that. All the current deer in PA are descendants of deer imported from Michigan.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

That you had Europeans coming across a loving ocean to lands never seen by their people in increddibly expensive and complicated expeditions and high risk of life and limb and saying "Holy poo poo look at all of these forests we can start sending timber back across and get rich" probably tells you what you need to know about the state of European trees.

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014
Hello. Yep, I still think Atlantis is Bolivia, yep, I'm still a giant idiot, yep, I'm still a huge racist. Some things never change!

CommonShore posted:

That you had Europeans coming across a loving ocean to lands never seen by their people in increddibly expensive and complicated expeditions and high risk of life and limb and saying "Holy poo poo look at all of these forests we can start sending timber back across and get rich" probably tells you what you need to know about the state of European trees.

I was always amazed by the fact that New France's shipyards would build ships with the sole purpose of loading them with wood, crossing the ocean and then getting dismantled because it too, is made out of wood.

Also, regarding deforestation, the Romans/Europeans may have been good at it, but Americans did it better.
https://decolonialatlas.wordpress.com/2014/11/03/the-deforestation-and-colonization-of-the-united-states/

I don't recall where I read this, but there were accounts of europeans coming to North America and being amazed at how much wood was being wasted. Things like people stoking fires throughout the day, never letting it die. Forests were so abundant, people thought they'd never run out.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Dalael posted:

I was always amazed by the fact that New France's shipyards would build ships with the sole purpose of loading them with wood, crossing the ocean and then getting dismantled because it too, is made out of wood.

Also, regarding deforestation, the Romans/Europeans may have been good at it, but Americans did it better.
https://decolonialatlas.wordpress.com/2014/11/03/the-deforestation-and-colonization-of-the-united-states/

I don't recall where I read this, but there were accounts of europeans coming to North America and being amazed at how much wood was being wasted. Things like people stoking fires throughout the day, never letting it die. Forests were so abundant, people thought they'd never run out.

Wasn't a lot of that the result of the mass population die off which had been occurring since 1492, tho?

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

LingcodKilla posted:

It happened in Icaland.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

CommonShore posted:

That was what sparked the Industrial Revolution, ultimately. They turned to coal for fuel, which required mining and transportation. Mining led to a need for better pumps, which led to steam engines. Transportation led to wooden, then iron railed roads for easily rolling carts full of coal away from the mines.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

It’s probably impossible to tell a 300 year old forest from a 1000+ year old forest so who knows

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014
Hello. Yep, I still think Atlantis is Bolivia, yep, I'm still a giant idiot, yep, I'm still a huge racist. Some things never change!

My Imaginary GF posted:

Wasn't a lot of that the result of the mass population die off which had been occurring since 1492, tho?

This doesn't represent population. It represents forested areas

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

Dalael posted:

Yes, but dead people don't cut trees.

the JJ
Mar 31, 2011
1491 has a good discussion of this, but the impression that the New World was perfectly untouched virgin blah blah blah has a problematic history. There's a version of it that is nominally positive for indigenous people - 'the wise native perfectly in touch with the land in harmony etc. etc.' - which is rhetorically useful as a cudgel but is nevertheless not quite right. It's partially a result of the mass die off, and partially a matter of slightly different methods and habits of agriculture. The mound builders in the Mississippi, for instance, did a number on themselves via deforesting, as did the people of Easter Island.

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

euphronius posted:

It’s probably impossible to tell a 300 year old forest from a 1000+ year old forest so who knows

It depends on the environment. If you’re in a place with giant sequoia it’s easy. Succession is complicated, and there are secondary forests in Latin America that regrew following the Columbian exchange that remain recognizably different than true old growth. However our understanding of succession in complex multi-species environments is evolving, and it’s no longer clear that these old “secondary” forests will necessarily converge on the same end state as existing old growth forests.

As for the map I think much of the old growth area would actually be a matrix of secondary and primary forest, as the Native American swidden agriculture required a lot of land. Still I wouldn’t be surprised if the area was nearly all old growth, as swidden cultivators tend to use the same plots over and over so as to save the effort of clearing new land.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Dalael posted:

older societies managed their local forests. they would cut down trees for lumber, set fires to clear brush to better aid hunting, remove dead trees for fuel, coppice trees for stakes and poles, plant fruit trees, etc. native americans were not just wandering around deep old growth forests all of the time. They had intensive agriculture, towns, and managed lands that would have extended a significant way past settlements.

One reason northern america was SO densely wooded was the population was still recovering from a literal apocalypse and large areas had gone unmanaged for decades, close to centuries in some areas.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

WoodrowSkillson posted:

older societies managed their local forests. they would cut down trees for lumber, set fires to clear brush to better aid hunting, remove dead trees for fuel, coppice trees for stakes and poles, plant fruit trees, etc. native americans were not just wandering around deep old growth forests all of the time. They had intensive agriculture, towns, and managed lands that would have extended a significant way past settlements.

One reason northern america was SO densely wooded was the population was still recovering from a literal apocalypse and large areas had gone unmanaged for decades, close to centuries in some areas.

There's been some really good work done on this with regard to the South American rain forest.. Turns out, it's very likely that one reason the South American rain forests were so rich is that they were actively managed for like a thousand years prior to European arrival.

https://www.theatlantic.com/science/archive/2017/03/its-now-clear-that-ancient-humans-helped-enrich-the-amazon/518439/

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
1491 talks about how europeans arrived in North America thinking it was a paradise- forests full of apple trees and blackberry bushes and nuts and beans and game animals- not realizing that it was like this because up until recently, it had all been cultivated land.

The talk about native american agriculture in that book is really interesting, to the point it makes me wish I had studied plant science instead of just taking one class. They developed a system of growing a diverse mix of symbiotic crops that worked well together, up to fifteen different crops in one group. This resulted in a nutrionally-complete diet and a field that was fertile year after year, rather than the european (and modern) system of ecologically-unsound monocrop fields that inevitably go fallow and produce a poor diet of breads and cereals.

Edgar Allen Ho fucked around with this message at 16:58 on Sep 20, 2018

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014

WoodrowSkillson posted:

I'm not saying you are wrong, but it can't explain the vast amount of forest that was found by the earliest of settlers. the kind of forest that was found in north America in the Early 1500 by French and British explorers take way more than decades to grow. I'm no expert, but I did take pulp & paper industry course in my early 20's and I've learned just enough about "forest management" to know mass dying off of humans are not the main reason.

If that was the case, Europe would have been re-forested after the bunch of plagues that affected Antiquity.

We're talking about trees on the east coast that almost rivaled the sequoia's of the west coast. Forest that were almost comsidered "virgins"

now don't get me wrong, I am absolutely not denying the effect that mass die-off had, nor am I denying Native American's ability to manage land and forest. But they had a completely different view & relationship with nature than europeans had and it showed.

They did not need the same amount of charcoal europeans needed and that alone meant forest were not destroyed at the same rate. Also if you look at fossil records.

It's also important to note that the forests of today are not at all the forests of yesterday. According to the fossil records, entirely different types of trees used to be found on eastern coast before Europeans showed up.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

WoodrowSkillson posted:

Yup. The native peoples managed all the forests, and they were huge into slash and burn agriculture. There's even a hypothesis that the Little Ice Age was triggered/exacerbated by the sudden drop in atmospheric CO2 first from the Black Death, then pushed further when the Americas stopped burning yearly.

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

1491 talks about how europeans arrived in North America thinking it was a paradise- forests full of apple trees and blackberry bushes and nuts and beans and game animals- not realizing that it was like this because up until recently, it had all been cultivated land.

No. Just no.

Jacques Cartier arrived in 1534, less than 50 years after Christopher Columbus did. There is absolutely no way these old growth forest grew to what they were in less than 50 years.

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014
Don't get me wrong, I'm not denying that Native (North) Americans had agriculture, nor am I denying their ability to manage forest.
But compared to Europe, there were huge swatch of forest and it was because it had NEVER been clear cut.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Dalael posted:

No. Just no.

Jacques Cartier arrived in 1534, less than 50 years after Christopher Columbus did. There is absolutely no way these old growth forest grew to what they were in less than 50 years.

He's not talking about old growth forest. Europeans would write about how they found fields of fruit trees weaving among big cleared out prairies perfectly ready for farming, and how god had clearly given this Eden for them to use, unaware that the reason there was all this perfectly ready to use farmland was... because it had been farmland not that long ago.

Other instances, they knew full well what had happened because the native villages were still there, abandoned. They reused them, robbed graves for anything valuable, etc.

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014

Grand Fromage posted:

He's not talking about old growth forest. Europeans would write about how they found fields of fruit trees weaving among big cleared out prairies perfectly ready for farming, and how god had clearly given this Eden for them to use, unaware that the reason there was all this perfectly ready to use farmland was... because it had been farmland not that long ago.

Other instances, they knew full well what had happened because the native villages were still there, abandoned. They reused them, robbed graves for anything valuable, etc.

Oh yeah.. Sorry I misunderstood that part.

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

forests full of apple trees and blackberry bushes
Blackberry bushes are a weed in the southeast. They are happy to take over any suitable unmanaged patch of dirt you give them. So that bit at least doesn't mean much.
(Also apple trees are not native to north america so I assume they meant other native fruit trees like pawpaws or whatever).

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
I may be talking out of my rear end, but I THINK europeans of that era used "apple" and equivalents as kind of a generic catch-all term for edible fruits?

Which is where english gets pineapple and french gets pomme de terre. Not that potatoes are a fruit but I can see where they were coming from.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Apple can mean any fruit.

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

Actually, aside from the pawpaw what fruit trees are even native to the southeast? There is definitely some management involved, but our pawpaws sucker aggressively and they definitely tend to form natural thickets. We are constantly digging out saplings.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Scarodactyl posted:

Actually, aside from the pawpaw what fruit trees are even native to the southeast? There is definitely some management involved, but our pawpaws sucker aggressively and they definitely tend to form natural thickets. We are constantly digging out saplings.

Maypop, Jelly / Pindo Palm, chickasaw plum, wild black cherry, serviceberry, red mulberry, Persimmon,

that's everything I can think of anyway

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

Maypop is a passion fruit, which grows on vines, and the jelly palm is from south america. But those others would make a lot of sense. It is hard to mentally fit pawpaws into that role.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Dalael posted:

No. Just no.

They never clear cut as much as Europeans did, correct, since their populations did not mandate a similar demand for lumber, and why cut down a giant tree that is a pain in the rear end to further process when the trees you are farming can be cut down at an acceptable size closer to the woods intended use. Europeans wanted things like ship masts which necessitate very large old trees.

However forest density changes fast if no one is clearing brush or cutting anything down. It would not take long for managed "old growth" forests of large old trees with managed land around them to return to densely packed old growth forests. Decades of brush and younger trees coming in would change things a lot, and then for large amounts of North America, it was much longer still before anyone was actually operating in those lands.

Ben Nevis
Jan 20, 2011

Scarodactyl posted:

Maypop is a passion fruit, which grows on vines, and the jelly palm is from south america. But those others would make a lot of sense. It is hard to mentally fit pawpaws into that role.

I'm not sure how far west southeast US fits, but Mexican plum and mayhaw get out to George at least.

Kemper Boyd
Aug 6, 2007

no kings, no gods, no masters but a comfy chair and no socks
Swedefacts: During the 17th century, foreigners in Sweden noted that the Swedes were absolutely obsessed with cutting down forest, even when there was no real reason to do so.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I bet there was a reason which they just didn't know/understand

That or swedish women just love lumberjacks

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

cheetah7071 posted:

I bet there was a reason which they just didn't know/understand

That or swedish women just love lumberjacks

I would postulate that the forest was considered a spooky, bad place where wolves and bears and thieves hung out.

Cutting down the forest made them feel safer and represented advancing civilization.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Probably. The Romans didn't like forests for similar reasons and would cut them down whenever possible, except for some considered particularly spoopy and best to avoid.

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014

Grand Fromage posted:

Probably. The Romans didn't like forests for similar reasons and would cut them down whenever possible, except for some considered particularly spoopy and best to avoid.

I thought they didnt like forests because that's where their legion gets massacred.

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.
Paradoxically, one good thing about guns is that it allows us to maintain peace with man eating animals so we don't feel compelled to totally destroy them and their habitat

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.
We still do it to make room for farmland, palm oil plantations and so on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

Kassad posted:

We still do it to make room for farmland, palm oil plantations and so on.

To be fir they were coming right towards us.