Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
Ninefox is actually built from the short story “The Battle of Candle Arc” which introduced Jedao and the high calendar and all that cool poo poo. Ghostweight is awesome but less closely related.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

coolusername
Aug 23, 2011

cooltitletext

NoNostalgia4Grover posted:

Read Ninefox Gambit. Interesting call by the author to cram all the character development into the last 50 pages of the book. Overall I would rate Ninefox Gambit as strong not great, would read the inevitable sequel books if I came across them at a public library. Somehow I was HEAVILY reminded of something from the ultra-cheesey Sten Chronicles scifi series when NineFox Gambit finally revealed how the immortality process in it worked.

Jedao gets most of his character development... unfortunately in the short stories set BEFORE the first novel. Want to know what he did at candle arc? Want to see how he interacted with his crew and won people's loyalty? What is with his everything? Welp it's side content.

The second book is much better about that, it's about a hundred times more character driven since the plot is less about world building dumps and more about ... well, the characters.

Bob Ross Nuke Test
Jul 12, 2016

by Games Forum
Three Body Problem is some wild poo poo, and I'm not sure how much of that is due to the awkward translation from a vastly different literary culture. :stare:

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

THE BEATWEAVER posted:

Three Body Problem is some wild poo poo, and I'm not sure how much of that is due to the awkward translation from a vastly different literary culture. :stare:
Given the sequels, a lot less than you may be thinking.

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

The plans-within-plans-within-plans of Jeado & the lowkey *HE"S THE REAL MONSTER* reveal about Nirai Kujen throughout Ninefox Gambit both heavily reminded me of the Eternal Emperor from the Sten Chronicles series I have mentioned a few times in this thread.

The Sten Chronicles books were terrible, however the Eternal Emperor was the single best thing in the Sten Chronicles series because the Eternal Emperor was pretty much the worlds most interesting man 15+ years before that ad campaign happened. In no way, shape, or form will Lee's Machineries of Empire series become as bad as the Sten Chronicles, just want to make that clear.

The Eternal Emperor of the Sten Chronicles maintained his power via plans-within-plans-within-plans and a literal strangehold over the unobtainium resource used to power everything in the galaxy ruled by the Eternal Emperor, similar to Nirai Kujen & his mathematic Calender based gimmicks. Plus the Eternal Emperor had a immortality gimmick similar what both Jeado & Kujen had, the major difference was that genefixed operant conditioned clones of himself were used as the host bodies in the Sten Chronicles.

papa horny michael
Aug 18, 2009

by Pragmatica
Linking for anyone interested: Ghostweight

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

The Sten Chronicles books were terrible

Extreme agreement.

Bob Ross Nuke Test
Jul 12, 2016

by Games Forum

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Given the sequels, a lot less than you may be thinking.

Is that a good or bad statement on the sequels tho. Am I gonna be let down after a strong opening?

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.

THE BEATWEAVER posted:

Is that a good or bad statement on the sequels tho. Am I gonna be let down after a strong opening?

The second one is far and away the best. The third one has some interesting poo poo.

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

TODAY'S GONNA BE A GOOD MOTHERFUCKIN' DAY!!!

General Battuta posted:

The second one is far and away the best. The third one has some interesting poo poo.

I actually thought the second one was the worst. Among other things it has an extended homage to one of Cixin Liu's worst short stories and I had a really hard time taking that part of the book seriously.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

The premise is so good though! It's a strong enough premise on its own to carry an entire series. Hyper advanced aliens will be here in 300 years, their advance probes can read anything we put down in a computer system, so we've decided to entrust the fate of humanity to a few select people who will be granted absolute authority and thus never have to explain their plan. But the aliens have collaborators on earth, and those collaborators have assigned one person to each of our selected few, meant to learn everything about them, predict their plans, and expose them to the world. Plus, one of our elite was selected only because the aliens tried to kill him, and not even he has any idea what good he could possibly do!

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

General Battuta posted:

The premise is so good though! It's a strong enough premise on its own to carry an entire series. Hyper advanced aliens will be here in 300 years, their advance probes can read anything we put down in a computer system, so we've decided to entrust the fate of humanity to a few select people who will be granted absolute authority and thus never have to explain their plan. But the aliens have collaborators on earth, and those collaborators have assigned one person to each of our selected few, meant to learn everything about them, predict their plans, and expose them to the world. Plus, one of our elite was selected only because the aliens tried to kill him, and not even he has any idea what good he could possibly do!

You're not wrong. That was a tense situation and it had me hooked for most of the book, but there's no one outstanding element like Ye Wenjie from the first book or that fairy tale from the third. I mean, the Curse 5.0 scene where all the electronic stuff went haywire and was trying to kill the protagonist was also outstanding, but not in a good way.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013

The Sten Chronicles books were terrible,

Um, excuse me, 14 years old me really loving loved Sten Chronicles

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Lt. Lizard posted:

Um, excuse me, 14 years old me really loving loved Sten Chronicles

:same:

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Major Isoor posted:

Welp, I went ahead and bought The Books of the South; the next thrilling chapter in The Black Company annals, after you all recommended The Silver Spike and suggested continuing until the series stopped being good. (I also ordered The Alexiad, seeing as I've always intended on reading it. Hardly sci-fi, though!) I assume I should start with TSS, despite it being listed as the third BotS? Or will it potentially ruin some aspects of the later books, somehow?

The Silver Spike is set after The White Rose and has no connection to the later books in the series, so you can read it at any time after the first three books, and immediately after The White Rose is probably the best time.

Personally, I enjoyed the whole series and felt that Soldiers Live was a satisfying conclusion. I'm surprised to see that Wikipedia describes A Pitiless Rain as "the conclusion of the series" because I thought Soldiers Live wrapped stuff up quite nicely. But it ends very differently from how it began, so I can see why people might want to get off before the end.

quote:

But yeah, assuming I like this omnibus, I think I'll probably leave it at that. Since part of the reason why I even got it is because someone mentioned loose ends at the conclusion of the original trilogy, which TSS clears up...and well, the whole BotS omnibus was discounted, so why not? (Although I suppose I might also get Port of Shadows, since I did enjoy reading about the shithole they call Juniper)

Wait, poo poo, there's a new Black Company book coming out? aaaaaaaaaa

nessin
Feb 7, 2010
Anyone know of some good stories that take common historical myths then take them in crazy directions (I'm thinking something like Child Thief by Brom) or retell them in new ways (like Song of Achilles by Madeline Miller)? Bonus points for the Robin Hood theme because seeing a trailer for the new movie is what triggered me trying to find something.

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

nessin posted:

Anyone know of some good stories that take common historical myths then take them in crazy directions (I'm thinking something like Child Thief by Brom) or retell them in new ways (like Song of Achilles by Madeline Miller)? Bonus points for the Robin Hood theme because seeing a trailer for the new movie is what triggered me trying to find something.

Maybe Tim Powers' stuff? Though it's not taking place in times as old as your saying, there are books involving people like Mary Shelley or Blackbeard or Lord Byron that go in weird directions.

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

nessin posted:

There's a lot of YA stuff like this, if that's what you're after. Rick Riordan's Olympians stuff is probably the best known (though I haven't read it), the Cinder series by Marissa Meyer is a sci-fi interpretation of bunch of fairy-tales that my wife likes, and there's a ton more in that vein. I'm not sure what to recommend for something aimed more at adults, though.

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

nessin posted:

Lord Dunsany & Jack Vance are what you want. Dunsany's stuff is so old, literal generations of fantasy genre writers have copied him. Vance tends to have hyper-competent main characters who also fall for the dumbest and most obvious traps outside of Roadrunner cartoons.

Patrick Spens
Jul 21, 2006

"Every quarterback says they've got guts, But how many have actually seen 'em?"
Pillbug

nessin posted:

If you are really really good at separating the art from the artist, Marion Zimmer Bradley's Firebrand is a nifty retelling of the Trojan War.

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength

Solitair posted:

I actually thought the second one was the worst. Among other things it has an extended homage to one of Cixin Liu's worst short stories and I had a really hard time taking that part of the book seriously.

I liked the whole series myself although most of the characters were kind of two-dimensional in the end.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

nessin posted:

One of Tanith Lee's specialties was putting dark spins on fairy tales -- see Red as Blood and White as Snow for example.

As for Robin Hood, well, there's a portion of The Last Unicorn that involves Robin that you might find interesting.

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

Major Isoor posted:

Welp, I went ahead and bought The Books of the South; the next thrilling chapter in The Black Company annals, after you all recommended The Silver Spike and suggested continuing until the series stopped being good. (I also ordered The Alexiad, seeing as I've always intended on reading it. Hardly sci-fi, though!) I assume I should start with TSS, despite it being listed as the third BotS? Or will it potentially ruin some aspects of the later books, somehow?

But yeah, assuming I like this omnibus, I think I'll probably leave it at that. Since part of the reason why I even got it is because someone mentioned loose ends at the conclusion of the original trilogy, which TSS clears up...and well, the whole BotS omnibus was discounted, so why not? (Although I suppose I might also get Port of Shadows, since I did enjoy reading about the shithole they call Juniper)

Since I have a different answer, I would recommend reading the first Book of the South, and then the Silver Spike. The first of the BoTS and Silver Spike overlap, and it gives some closure to people left behind by Croaker and the Company. Partially because for a chunk of the book, they are somewhat behind Croaker and Company, and some background stuff in the first book of the south is explained in the Silver Spike. However you can read it before or after depending on how much more you want to see Raven/Darling etc. vs Croaker/Lady/Goblin/One Eye

ToxicFrog posted:

The Silver Spike is set after The White Rose and has no connection to the later books in the series, so you can read it at any time after the first three books, and immediately after The White Rose is probably the best time.

Personally, I enjoyed the whole series and felt that Soldiers Live was a satisfying conclusion. I'm surprised to see that Wikipedia describes A Pitiless Rain as "the conclusion of the series" because I thought Soldiers Live wrapped stuff up quite nicely. But it ends very differently from how it began, so I can see why people might want to get off before the end.

Wait, poo poo, there's a new Black Company book coming out? aaaaaaaaaa

Yeah its a interqual? during that big gap between the original book and Shadows Linger.

I also agree, I have no idea why there is supposed to be a book after Soldiers Live, it pretty well ties up the series and I don't see where they go from there. Soldiers Live is also imo one of the few endings that I liked, even if its a sad as gently caress book.

Jack2142 fucked around with this message at 08:18 on Jun 11, 2018

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013
David Drake borrows a lot of Greek/Roman history and legends for his stuff. Like just off the top of my head the Hammer's Slammers story "Counting the Cost" is based off the Nika riots, "The Warrior" was described as being about "the madness of Achilles" in one of the intros to the collections, and the two spinoff novels "Cross the Stars" and "The Voyage" were inspired by him rereading The Odyssey. And most of the RCN stories have an authors note about whatever historic events or naval battle he was borrowing from for it and the historic context. (And the entire series is basically his Patrick O'Brian but Space Opera fanfics)

navyjack
Jul 15, 2006

C.M. Kruger posted:

David Drake borrows a lot of Greek/Roman history and legends for his stuff. Like just off the top of my head the Hammer's Slammers story "Counting the Cost" is based off the Nika riots, "The Warrior" was described as being about "the madness of Achilles" in one of the intros to the collections, and the two spinoff novels "Cross the Stars" and "The Voyage" were inspired by him rereading The Odyssey. And most of the RCN stories have an authors note about whatever historic events or naval battle he was borrowing from for it and the historic context. (And the entire series is basically his Patrick O'Brian but Space Opera fanfics)

He did a whole Norse thing with Northworld, too

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013

navyjack posted:

He did a whole Norse thing with Northworld, too

And IIRC the Lord of the Isles series is Sumerian themed, but I haven't read any of his fantasy stuff so I can't personally comment. (for those who have, this is the perfect time to tell me what is good)

navyjack
Jul 15, 2006

C.M. Kruger posted:

And IIRC the Lord of the Isles series is Sumerian themed, but I haven't read any of his fantasy stuff so I can't personally comment. (for those who have, this is the perfect time to tell me what is good)

I liked Northworld quite a lot, but the trilogy doesn’t really stick the landing but who cares cause it has Vikings in power armor, Valkyries riding interdimensional hover bikes, and clone Loki doin Loki poo poo.

Lord of the Isles blows goats don’t read it

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

Groke posted:

I liked the whole series myself although most of the characters were kind of two-dimensional in the end.

Ye Wenjie was the only one who wasn't.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

nessin posted:

The Ivanhoe Gambit by Simon Hawke, if you want an outlandish answer.

Urcher
Jun 16, 2006

nessin posted:

Neil Gaiman has done a few common myths in modern times. American Gods and Anansi Boys for set in America, Neverwhere for set in London.

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

nessin posted:

Depending on what you mean by 'historical myths', how about Gene Wolfe's 'Soldier of the Mist' / 'Soldier of Arete'?

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

Groke posted:

Holy gently caress :pusheen:

General Battuta fucked around with this message at 14:13 on Jun 11, 2018

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength

General Battuta posted:

Holy gently caress :pusheen:

Glad to be of service.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

nessin posted:

If you want historical fiction about mythological figures, the best thing you're going to find is The King Must Die by Mary Renault (reworking of the Theseus myth as first person narrative historical fiction). It was written in the 70's though so I'm not sure it counts as "new".

Otherwise Neil Gaiman has a bunch of short stories in this vein; try "Snow, Glass, Apples."

Aston
Nov 19, 2007

Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay

The Troy series by David Gemmell is a retelling of the Trojan war, which I liked when I read it although that was a few years ago.

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

nessin posted:

Thread title might be of interest.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

nessin posted:

This might not fit, but if you're down for manga, try: Dragon Ball (a twist on the Journey to the West) and/or Olympos (for a neat take on the greek gods).

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Jack2142 posted:

I also agree, I have no idea why there is supposed to be a book after Soldiers Live, it pretty well ties up the series and I don't see where they go from there. Soldiers Live is also imo one of the few endings that I liked, even if its a sad as gently caress book.

It is but I actually found the conclusion kind of upbeat -- everyone who survived gets a nice retirement, so to speak. Croaker gains an eidetic memory spanning basically all of recorded history to rummage through at his leisure, and an immortal body to give him infinite time to do so; the Lady gets to chill out with Croaker doing whatever the gently caress she wants with her newly-regained infinite magical power; and the Guardian gets to go out and explore the world and, eventually, die.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Aston posted:

The Troy series by David Gemmell is a retelling of the Trojan war, which I liked when I read it although that was a few years ago.

It's a straight retelling, though, which is not what the OP was looking for I think?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

fritz posted:

Depending on what you mean by 'historical myths', how about Gene Wolfe's 'Soldier of the Mist' / 'Soldier of Arete'?
I was about to suggest that, although be warned that while there is a third book, we generally do not speak of it.

Another thing that springs to mind is Tim Powers' Dinner at Deviant's Palace which is a post-apocalyptic take on Orpheus. Powers' historical fantasy stuff is mostly worth looking into.

Oh, oh! And I finally get to recommend that! Avram Davidson's Vergil Magus books are crazy dense and chock-full of historical/mythological references; the basic idea is that it is ancient Rome as imagined in the Middle Ages. Fantastic read although somewhat harder than your typical genre fiction.

e: Also, might be really obvious but - Lord of the Light?

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Jun 11, 2018