Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Disco Science and Honk are must have QoL mods.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inglonias
Mar 7, 2013

I WILL PUT THIS FLAG ON FREAKING EVERYTHING BECAUSE IT IS SYMBOLIC AS HELL SOMEHOW

You can't really say you're playing Factorio unless you install the Underneathies mod.

Jamsque
May 31, 2009
Dirt Path is my favorite cosmetic mod after Disco Science. Helmod is still vital if you like Big Plans and Perfect Ratios, also FNEI if you are running any mods that change recipes.

yoloer420
May 19, 2006
Even Distribution is a QoL mod that I absolutely can't do without anymore. It allows you to quickly dump an even number of items into multiple buildings. During the early game it's just so amazingly helpful.

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

I'm the greatest thing since World War III.

Soiled Meat

Oxyclean posted:

Disco Science and Honk are must have QoL mods.

I started playing again after a long break, and it took ages to figure out smelting arrays. But by god I remembered to install Disco Science and Honk!

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

Having read about the space elevator and other changes to SpaceEx since I played it a few weeks ago got me to start a new K2 + SpaceEx embark. 42hrs in and I'm mostly done with Rocket tech, and just finished putting in permanent defensive lines across the main avenues of biter attack, guns backed up by flamethrowers. I need to put together some blue circuit automation, plus on-demand manufacturing for various space buildings and a couple chunky plants for putting out space belts and space pipes in numbers, rapidly.

Built out my initial train network very inconveniently with regard to what direction I wound up going to get resources so I might gently caress around and move my receiving stations around once I get initial space-platform poo poo established enough that I can blip back and forth between Nauvis and orbit with just minor inconvenience, and have nuclear power set up. I guess I need to automate reactor components and set up half a dozen centrifuges to run while I'm floating around in orbit, too.

I appreciate the support on the last page for my nuclear mishap, here's hoping I can avoid it in single player. Usually I don't manage to, but having everything built outside means that eventually bots replace any holes I make because I forgot to unload my rocket launcher when I came back from hunting.

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

When the light turns green, you go. When the light turns red, you stop. But what do you do when the light turns blue with orange and lavender spots?
I have reverted to caveman for science 3. Switching these between the different intermediates and then making the final flasks.

Trying to figure out an automated setup but its taking me a long time. Might have it done tonight.

Freaksaus
Jun 13, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Getting any production of blue science going is a big step, it's probably the point where new players struggle the most.

RabbitWizard
Oct 21, 2008

Muldoon

Sylink posted:

What are the best QoL mods for factorio these days?

I use these. All good stuff.

200 Inventory Size
Adaptive Movement Speed
Automatic Train Painter
Automatic Station Painter
Automatic Underground Pipe Connectors
Bottleneck
Construction Drones
ClearNightvision
Even Distribution
Explosive Excavation / Pump Anywhere
Far Reach
FreeCable
Fast Tree Cutting
Increased Landfill Stack
Inventory Repair
Max Rate Calculator
Show Max Underground Distance
Splatter Guard
Squeak Through
Tapeline
Thicker Power Wires
Tree Collision
Vehicle Snap
Zooming Reinvented

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

You should replace Bottleneck with Bottleneck Lite for better performance
https://mods.factorio.com/mod/BottleneckLite

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

I'm the greatest thing since World War III.

Soiled Meat

RabbitWizard posted:

I use these. All good stuff.

200 Inventory Size
Adaptive Movement Speed
Automatic Train Painter
Automatic Station Painter
Automatic Underground Pipe Connectors
Bottleneck
Construction Drones
ClearNightvision
Even Distribution
Explosive Excavation / Pump Anywhere
Far Reach
FreeCable
Fast Tree Cutting
Increased Landfill Stack
Inventory Repair
Max Rate Calculator
Show Max Underground Distance
Splatter Guard
Squeak Through
Tapeline
Thicker Power Wires
Tree Collision
Vehicle Snap
Zooming Reinvented

ban for trolling. no Honk or Disco Science.

Phssthpok
Nov 7, 2004

fingers like strings of walnuts
Packing Tape is a cool QoL mod - pick up any container and move it around with its inventory

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

When the light turns green, you go. When the light turns red, you stop. But what do you do when the light turns blue with orange and lavender spots?

Freaksaus posted:

Getting any production of blue science going is a big step, it's probably the point where new players struggle the most.

I present, Science 3. I almost gave up a couple times but I finally got everything setup so that it doesn't stall. Conveyor belts are powerful, I don't know why I avoided them for so long. This started off manual iron, copper core, coal, sulfur, plastic. And now its just manual sulfur and plastic. Working on those too.

I want the artillery cannon tech

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

Did you accidentally let off a grenade right there? Regardless, welcome to the Conveyor Age!

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

LonsomeSon posted:

Did you accidentally let off a grenade right there? Regardless, welcome to the Conveyor Age!

I did, was trying to split stacks and misclicked. Good eye

LtSmash
Dec 18, 2005

Will we next create false gods to rule over us? How proud we have become, and how blind.

-Sister Miriam Godwinson,
"We Must Dissent"

goodness posted:

I present, Science 3. I almost gave up a couple times but I finally got everything setup so that it doesn't stall. Conveyor belts are powerful, I don't know why I avoided them for so long. This started off manual iron, copper core, coal, sulfur, plastic. And now its just manual sulfur and plastic. Working on those too.

I want the artillery cannon tech

I also really dig seeing the progression of a new player. Thanks for posting / Keep posting!

Artillery cannons are really fun. But as a warning if you shoot artillery at a the biters or their bases it will make all the biters near it mad and come try and kill the cannon so make sure you are ready to deal with that.

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

goodness posted:

I did, was trying to split stacks and misclicked. Good eye

One time, a very new player visited our big multiplayer base, picked up a nuke, and accidentally blew himself up. Didn't take out anything important but it was hilarious

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Our God..... is an awesome God
Thinking about getting back into this, and are there any mods that make energy generation/management more important/involved? From my memories of previous games it basically seemed to come down to either just slapping down a bunch of steam boilers every time my power got strained or going with huge fields of solar if I cared about pollution, and it hardly seemed worth even bothering with the more complex nuclear chains when I could just scale the latter up so easily at that point.

I guess I could do a personal challenge run where I just don't use efficiency modules.

Bremen fucked around with this message at 23:12 on Feb 14, 2023

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Have you played since yellow and purple science? I had similar thoughts about the appendix nature of nuclear before the final science design.

Power needs escalated a bit. Coal gets used a lot more in science and becomes frustrating to supply in power generating amounts depending on map gen. You can still solve with wide open spaces and a constant solar construction bot creep but open spaces aren't guaranteed again depending on map settings.

For my mental and planning effort a nuclear plant is a perfect mid game power bump assuming vanilla settings. Coal richness too high, coal burners win by stupid simplicity. Biters off or low or railworld and solar wins by stupid largeness. Constrained on coal and space makes nuclear a clear ease option.

Conceptually you can't compete with passive generators like solar (it's resource free power!!) without a space constraint so you're would need a conduct change of some sort to get milage out of anything including mods. In game like cranking biters up or ribbon world mapgen or in your head like just ignoring it for being boring.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?

goodness posted:

Conveyor belts are powerful, I don't know why I avoided them for so long. This started off manual iron, copper core, coal, sulfur, plastic. And now its just manual sulfur and plastic. Working on those too.
:allears:

This is the best and I hope you keep posting developments.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Mailer posted:

:allears:

This is the best and I hope you keep posting developments.

I'm the totally unnecessary belt -> belt inserter for red chips. I love it.

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

Arrath posted:

I'm the totally unnecessary belt -> belt inserter for red chips. I love it.

Looks like it's splitting the belt, just without using a splitter :v:

Vizuyos
Jun 17, 2020

Thank U for reading

If you hated it...
FUCK U and never come back

Mr. Peepers posted:

I'm quite fond of Nullius's paving drones that you shoot out artillery cannons and cover a 128x128 square per shot.

Is there a separate version of this? I'd love to have concrete artillery without adding on a full-overhaul mod.

AG3
Feb 4, 2004

Ask me about spending hundreds of dollars on Mass Effect 2 emoticons and Avatars.

Oven Wrangler

zedprime posted:

Have you played since yellow and purple science? I had similar thoughts about the appendix nature of nuclear before the final science design.

Power needs escalated a bit. Coal gets used a lot more in science and becomes frustrating to supply in power generating amounts depending on map gen. You can still solve with wide open spaces and a constant solar construction bot creep but open spaces aren't guaranteed again depending on map settings.

For my mental and planning effort a nuclear plant is a perfect mid game power bump assuming vanilla settings. Coal richness too high, coal burners win by stupid simplicity. Biters off or low or railworld and solar wins by stupid largeness. Constrained on coal and space makes nuclear a clear ease option.

Conceptually you can't compete with passive generators like solar (it's resource free power!!) without a space constraint so you're would need a conduct change of some sort to get milage out of anything including mods. In game like cranking biters up or ribbon world mapgen or in your head like just ignoring it for being boring.

I've basically stopped using nuclear after installing GotLag's Superheating mod which adds oil-fired boilers. They take much less space than steam boilers (still way more than nuclear of course), are pretty easy to tile without faffing with belts, and unless you're going mega-base they're more than enough to power your base for the entire game. They also make awesome power sources for remote oil fields that need more than solar power to operate.

If you want MORE involved power generation though, probably not recommended :v:

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?
Aside from making nuclear come a bit earlier, since by the time you need it you're probably launching a rocket, I don't really see what they could add that would make it more interesting. Harder and more complex, sure, but the bulk of the pre-launch game is coal-powered and megabase tier is solar-powered and nuclear kinda fills the middle... unless biters aren't involved then screw it make a space the size of texas your solar grid.

Phobeste
Apr 9, 2006

never, like, count out Touchdown Tom, man
I mean megabase tier is solar powered mostly for UPS reasons I believe. Making that much solar is a huge resource, time, and space sink, which is all infinite sure but it's kind of a pain and also very boring. I'd love for nukes to get super optimized somehow just to not have to use solar panels the exact same way for the 9999th time

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

Phobeste posted:

I mean megabase tier is solar powered mostly for UPS reasons I believe. Making that much solar is a huge resource, time, and space sink, which is all infinite sure but it's kind of a pain and also very boring. I'd love for nukes to get super optimized somehow just to not have to use solar panels the exact same way for the 9999th time

Nukes are about 15x times more materially efficient. And I think they've optimized the nuclear UPS usage as well.

e;

M_Gargantua posted:

One reactor (inefficient!) makes 40MW, and is equivalent to 952 Panels and 800 Accumulators.
Four reactors makes 480MW, replacing 11424 Panels and 9597 Accumulators.
Six reactors makes 800MW and so on.

40MW of nuclear is 4,650 Copper, 1,880 Iron, 1,200 Plastic, 790 Steel, and 600 Concrete
40MW of solar is 26,180 Copper, 15,880 Iron, 4,760 Steel + 4000 Batteries

480MW of nuclear is 20,200 Copper, 9,120 Iron, 4,800 Plastic, 3,960 Steel, and 2,400 Concrete
480MW of solar is 314,160 Copper, 190,554 Iron, 57,120 Steel + 47,985 Batteries

Since Reactors have a huge stacking bonus I always say that your first nuclear system should be designed for at least 4 if not 6 reactors. Even if you just lay it out for expansion to a 2x3 or 2x4 so you don't have to spend the resources right off the bat. Because the 238/235 production rate is a %, statistically you only need 1 centrifuge per reactor. Each reactor goes through ten fuel cells in 2000 seconds and each 235 makes ten fuel cells, and if the centrifuge is running nonstop you will get on average a 235 in under 2000 seconds. But really you want to probably make two centrifuges per Reactor to save up for Korvax, nuclear missiles, and nuclear fuel.

M_Gargantua fucked around with this message at 14:24 on Feb 15, 2023

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

I went back to steam boilers after getting my basic oil stuff up because I have to find some way to get rid of all this light oil and all I have so far is turning it into solid fuel then burning that.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

Grand Fromage posted:

I went back to steam boilers after getting my basic oil stuff up because I have to find some way to get rid of all this light oil and all I have so far is turning it into solid fuel then burning that.

You can use a chemical plant to turn it into more petroleum via cracking.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Without spoiling too much your future self would be very appreciative of you if you put your excess solid fuel into a steel chest or 12 for a rainy day.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

M_Gargantua posted:

You can use a chemical plant to turn it into more petroleum via cracking.

I do enjoy crack.

zedprime posted:

Without spoiling too much your future self would be very appreciative of you if you put your excess solid fuel into a steel chest or 12 for a rainy day.

That's what I was doing at first, I have like ten steel chests full then my lube production stopped again so I started burning it. I know rockets are involved in the game so figured it's probably used there.

Phobeste
Apr 9, 2006

M_Gargantua posted:

And I think they've optimized the nuclear UPS usage as well.

Unfortunately it’s not about the nuclear part it’s about all those pipes and turbines and all that steam. It’s not an issue until you’re building a really massive base in vanilla but you can run into it pretty quick with more intense mods like space exploration. It’s also more of an issue in multi of course

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Grand Fromage posted:

I do enjoy crack.

That's what I was doing at first, I have like ten steel chests full then my lube production stopped again so I started burning it. I know rockets are involved in the game so figured it's probably used there.
There's immediate uses too I'd rank above burners, like making your car, tank, and or trains go vroom vroom very fast.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

zedprime posted:

There's immediate uses too I'd rank above burners, like making your car, tank, and or trains go vroom vroom very fast.

For sure. Rocket fuel in my trains is hilarious, and it is a sink for basically all of my solid fuel (since making solid fuel is option 2 after cracking to petro which I am almost perpetually short of)

TwoDice
Feb 11, 2005
Not one, two.
Grimey Drawer
Yeah, UPS is your single limiting resource in a multiplayer game. Ore can be replaced, UPS can't be.

Darox
Nov 10, 2012

Phobeste posted:

Unfortunately it’s not about the nuclear part it’s about all those pipes and turbines and all that steam. It’s not an issue until you’re building a really massive base in vanilla but you can run into it pretty quick with more intense mods like space exploration. It’s also more of an issue in multi of course
I actually found the opposite in SE, nuclear was a far nicer option there because you can carry an entire nuclear plant in your pockets, shipping uranium to another planet is far easier than trying to bulk ship everything needed to make mass solar, and solar is generally messed up on not-Nauvis planets which means custom ratios everywhere. Slapping down a basic reactor and bootstrapping it with a couple cells and solar panels immediately gives you all the power you'll need for a long while when arriving at a brand new planet.

In general I think unless you're an insane person who has turned tech costs up to 100x big mods are fine for nuclear for the same reason they're fine for non-megabase vanilla. You don't need to make huge production lines for the sake of >1000spm and I believe most (all?) big mods have mod tech unlocks that help compact your setups down with higher tier assemblers/modules/etc and maybe even give more efficient steam systems. If you have an good nuclear design (or even just a not-horrific-steam-tank-blob design) having a couple 2x2 nuclear blocks isn't a significant hit to your ups.

Teledahn
May 14, 2009

What is that bear doing there?

Nuclear power is not a UPS problem. Ages ago, maybe, but it's been considerably optimized in the intervening years. You can power 5k science per minute bases with nuclear without significant impact. The reputation is no longer and not deserved.

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Our God..... is an awesome God
I guess I haven't been lurking in this thread enough, but what's UPS?

vvvv Ah, thanks.

Bremen fucked around with this message at 03:21 on Feb 16, 2023

Phobeste
Apr 9, 2006

the speed of the game simulation, as separate from fps. (time) units per second. as ups drops below its target of 60, everything takes longer - a recipe that says it takes 1s to execute actually takes 60 units, so at 30ups it takes 2 seconds to executes. the game slows down compared to the wall clock.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

power crystals
Jun 6, 2007

Who wants a belly rub??

Phobeste posted:

(time) units per second

The explanation is correct but I'm pretty sure it's "updates per second".