Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

monster on a stick posted:

Think of it this way: the value of trading cards has been trending down for ages since "steam level" doesn't mean much, and the value of emotes/backgrounds was negligible. That meant that Valve's cut of the market for cards/emotes/backgrounds was less as well. Being able to turn this into "gems" which could be used to either bid on an auction for games *which were donated by the developers*, or could be used to create booster packs which were also mostly free money to Valve (cut of the transaction + any money spent on the card stays in the Valve ecosystem.) So it was a way of (I hate to use this word but) monetizing all the collective crap in people's inventories and maybe push trading card prices up again because there would be a reason to make sets.

This. In addition it basically lets them cull all the poo poo that people were just sitting on because it had no real value so they can hard reset the economy. Since they expect everything to be turned into gems, stuff will get rarer and thus more valuable again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arnold of Soissons
Mar 4, 2011

by XyloJW
haha looks like I missed the preview event

Definitely going to idle all those cards I have waiting to drop, now

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Gaben lied, Half-Life died

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

SelenicMartian posted:

What's "gems"? I was asleep and missed it all, and now it seems to be gone.
What are gems?

We really don't know.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Best “wtf 400 new posts?!” breakfast read ever.

:allears: :coffee:

Grass Effect
Aug 10, 2014

Tippis posted:

Heck yeah, some actual neat news in the Steam thread.

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!

Dixie Sunshine posted:

You could only craft one booster pack per day and only for games you already own, but you're still right, that's a lot of cards.

One booster pack per game per day, that is.

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum

Tippis posted:

Yeah holy poo poo that was a funny way to start the day.

Is the done thing with trading cards still just to sell them as soon as you get them? I don't care about the badges, I just want the sliver of money from selling them.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
After spending a couple of hours with Talos Principle, I've come to the conclusion that this is a really good (and challenging) puzzle game. Most of the normal puzzles so far have been easy, but the hard ones (red pieces) have been hard. Can't wait to see how it develops further in.

There's also a lot of neat details and secrets hidden around the levels, like the edge of the beach at a certain location had glitches and a voice repeating a sentence about "the end of the words meaning the end of the world" over and over again. Pretty neat.

Also found the Credits room, never change Croteam.

VodeAndreas
Apr 30, 2009

Yeah I've been playing a bit of Talos Principle and it's got some good puzzles, haven't got stuck so far but I'm still very early in the game!

It's giving me some graphics driver crashes though but I think that's due to my card rather than the game itself as it was acting up on me a month ago or so too.

Darkhold
Feb 19, 2011

No Heart❤️
No Soul👻
No Service🙅
When I turned on my PC today I had like 10 notifications that all my old crappy emotes/wallpapers sold on the market. I was really confused until I opened this thread on why someone snapped all this stuff up.

Amusing read though it's really sad any time Valve tries something other than boring sales and Steam card badges someone always manages to exploit a loophole and gently caress things up for everyone.

Lock
Aug 8, 2007

hardcore sound gets you hypah

NaDy posted:

Yeah holy poo poo that was a funny way to start the day.

Is the done thing with trading cards still just to sell them as soon as you get them? I don't care about the badges, I just want the sliver of money from selling them.

It's what I've been doing since the beta, and I've made over $200 doing it even without getting lucky with gaming the system.

beergod
Nov 1, 2004
NOBODY WANTS TO SEE PICTURES OF YOUR UGLY FUCKING KIDS YOU DIPSHIT
Is there a fix to the click holding to view bug (is it a bug?) in Steam streaming? Everything works great but every time I'm playing a third-person game (WoW etc.) and I depress the right mouse button and then hold it again (to move the view), it does a sort of bird's eye view over the top of my character. The desktop I'm streaming from has two monitors (if that is significant).

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
Is there an effort post explaining what is going on with the new Steam meta thing?

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

pentyne posted:

Is there an effort post explaining what is going on with the new Steam meta thing?

Right now, nothing, because due to some cheating and poo poo it's shut down for ???.

(I just learned this when I got off work and went "Okay, I'll make a gem. Oooooor not.")

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

pentyne posted:

Valve made it so you could convert all of your cards, backgrounds, and emoticons into gems that can be used to bid on free games as part of the holiday promotion, as well as craft booster packs. You could also sell gems once you get 1000 of them. Someone found a way to dupe them, got billions of gems, flooded the market with them for 3 cents per 1000 (a single background got 100, trading cards got 5-10), the whole thing went tits up and valve pulled the plug in a matter of hours. By the end of it, the games valve probably expected people to bit a few thousand each for all had bids in the millions.

Aristophanes
Aug 11, 2012

Quickly, bring me a beaker of wine, so that I may wet my mind and say something clever!
Started clearing out my inventory into gems, left to go to work, came back home to see it's all been cancelled.

:downsbravo: gg gaben

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

This is hilarious

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

Valve made it so you could convert all of your cards, backgrounds, and emoticons into gems that can be used to bid on free games as part of the holiday promotion, as well as craft booster packs. You could also sell gems once you get 1000 of them. Someone found a way to dupe them, got billions of gems, flooded the market with them for 3 cents per 1000 (a single background got 100, trading cards got 5-10), the whole thing went tits up and valve pulled the plug in a matter of hours. By the end of it, the games valve probably expected people to bit a few thousand each for all had bids in the millions.

Steam seems to have forgotten that literally every meta game they've tried has been ruthlessly exploited in some way shape or form.

Like Xmas coal, people created dozens of duplicate accounts, bought all the bundles for the bare minimum (so, pennies more or less) and amassed a ton of coal and all the prizes were gone shortly after the sale started. And then took to 4chan and Reddit to brag about it and encourage other people to do the same.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
Non-gem debacle question. Lately Steam seems to hang for 10-30 seconds whenever a game finishes updating. This is happening on a quad-core system with 4GB system RAM and Windows 7 64-bit, but not on my dual core netbook with 2GB shared RAM and Windows 10 TP 32-bit, which seems like the opposite of what should be happening. This is on the latest beta release on both. Any ideas?

spudsbuckley
Aug 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

(and can't post for 5 years!)

I made 6 cent off selling things that i forgot i put up ages ago.

Do i win?

vuorikissa
May 1, 2007

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

Lately Steam seems to hang for 10-30 seconds whenever a game finishes updating. This is happening on a quad-core system with 4GB system RAM and Windows 7 64-bit, but not on my dual core netbook with 2GB shared RAM and Windows 10 TP 32-bit, which seems like the opposite of what should be happening. This is on the latest beta release on both. Any ideas?

No ideas, but mine's doing the same: non-beta steam, dual-core system, 8 GB RAM, Windows 7 64-bit.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

Non-gem debacle question. Lately Steam seems to hang for 10-30 seconds whenever a game finishes updating. This is happening on a quad-core system with 4GB system RAM and Windows 7 64-bit, but not on my dual core netbook with 2GB shared RAM and Windows 10 TP 32-bit, which seems like the opposite of what should be happening. This is on the latest beta release on both. Any ideas?

Mine has done that on multiple computers for ages now. I'm pretty sure that's "working as intended" if it's spreading to even more people at this point.

DoctorOfLawls
Mar 2, 2001

SA's Brazilian Diplomat

pentyne posted:

The short version is that Valve is checking which people have more time than money.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

Have had the exact same problem for years, and sometimes Steam will completely crash if I try and use it while it's completing the update. It seems to be a problem with the final 'write to disk' operation being able to completely gently caress over whatever runs the Steam app UI.

Orv
May 4, 2011

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

Mine had been doing that for a solid year until I reinstalled Windows recently, but it seems to already be cropping back up. :shrug:

Vetitum
Feb 29, 2008

someone please tl:dr wtf just happened. Piecing this clusterfuck together from frantic posts saying 'buy buy buy' and screenshots is maddening.

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe

Vetitum posted:

someone please tl:dr wtf just happened. Piecing this clusterfuck together from frantic posts saying 'buy buy buy' and screenshots is maddening.

Valve started a thing where you break down your old backgrounds and trading cards and poo poo and get gems for them. You can use the gems to craft booster packs, or bid on games in a special auction lasting for 3 days. Someone figured out how to dupe the gems and flooded the market with billions of them. Valve turned the event off and removed all the gems from people's inventories. Presumably they'll turn it back on once they figure out how to prevent the dupes.

vuohi
Nov 22, 2004

teagone posted:

Looks like the event is gone from the store page. Haha.

The gamer kind of stupidity is just so drat adorable. A new toy appears and is broken while a hapless Euro gets a single night's sleep.

I would have wanted to partake in the destruction too. :(

Palpek posted:

What are gems?

We really don't know.

Gems originated from Gemany.

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

Vetitum posted:

It was a magical afternoon where Valve learnt the essential nature of humankind in the space of a few short hours.
I would love to see the data gathered on this, it will truly be something special.

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe
My gems have reappeared again. I can put them into a sack, and take them out again, but I can't sell them on the marketplace yet. It'll be interesting to see what sort of price 1000 gems settles at once they fix the dupe.

E: Also, Advanced Warfare free weekend. I'd never buy it, but playing some shootmans for a weekend might be fun - if the download for JUST the multiplayer portion wasn't 40 loving gigs.

Bardeh fucked around with this message at 13:31 on Dec 12, 2014

Vetitum
Feb 29, 2008

thanks for short overview! has there been any sort of confirmation of how gems were able to be duped?

Lakitu7
Jul 10, 2001

Watch for spinys

Roger Explosion posted:

So, after all that, I still only have a little over 39k gems so I figure am going to be out-bidded on anything decent. I think it's time for me to dive into the ironic section of my wishlist.

Loren: The Amazon Princess, you will be mine. :q:

Don't worry there's a bundle for that!! http://www.bundlestars.com/all-bundles/killer-bundle/

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock

Vetitum posted:

thanks for short overview! has there been any sort of confirmation of how gems were able to be duped?

I think it was just doing lots of things in the lagged inventory screen so you did multiple confirms or something.

edit: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?p=142910803#post142910803

quote:

I click one of my inventory item which brings the confirmation message. I proceed then quickly press on another item which brings up another confirmation message and click on on that too. Its really random and plus im doing this on a browser.

ymgve fucked around with this message at 14:03 on Dec 12, 2014

Downs Duck
Nov 19, 2005
"It's only after we've lost everything that we're free do to anything"

Helith posted:

It was a magical afternoon where Valve learnt the essential nature of humankind in the space of a few short hours.
I would love to see the data gathered on this, it will truly be something special.

Same here. I remember some previous article, penned by that economist of theirs, to be quite intriguing.

Fryhtaning
Jul 21, 2010

CJacobs posted:

The good thing about being an adult with an income and a credit card is that I can make fun of dumb crappy sale gimmicks all I want, because I can just buy video games I want with my real life money instead of shuffling around trading cards for gemstone-based funbux like I'm playing Candy Crush or something.

My thoughts exactly as I scrolled through the last 10 pages, wondering what the hell was going on. The best part is people thought it would actually work.

700 unread posts. I thought the Winter sale had started, you fuckers :argh:

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

Goddamn, the only booster pack I crafted today and which I put up for sale at an inflated price has just sold! :psyduck: Why? You could make them for pennies and you could buy 3 cards for this game for 1/3 of what I priced the booster pack.

The market is unfucking itself, a raft of gem bag buy orders has just appeared on my market page, though the gems are still untradeable at the moment.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Went to bed before they pulled the plug and woke up with yet another booster. Still have my stuff, minus the team tokens from the summer sale.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
I made $10, from a base inversion of 50c. Should I spend them?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TiCK
Jan 1, 2001

I want you to tap me as hard as you can.
Ended the event with 2.15$ in steam money, all my trash BGs and emoticons are gone, and I still have 1,000 gems for when the booster pack thing comes online again.

Still a better event than End of the Line update.

• Locked thread