Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

el_caballo
Feb 26, 2001
Got One Night Ultimate Werewolf Daybreak for Christmas. Is this truly playable by itself or do I need to shell out for the original? Never played any Werewolf anything and I only understand it as some sort of lying game. The instructions basically say "step 1: play the base game."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trouser_mouse
Apr 27, 2008

Just had a blast playing Camel Up! Betrayed by dastardly Orange Camel :mad:

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

trouser_mouse posted:

Just had a blast playing Camel Up! Betrayed by dastardly Orange Camel :mad:

Camel Up! has been a huge hit with my group, and I'm really glad I bought it.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

el_caballo posted:

Got One Night Ultimate Werewolf Daybreak for Christmas. Is this truly playable by itself or do I need to shell out for the original? Never played any Werewolf anything and I only understand it as some sort of lying game. The instructions basically say "step 1: play the base game."

You can play it as a vanilla game, just use the right amount of werewolf and villager cards without their abilities then slowly add in their actual roles as you get familiar with it.

Scyther
Dec 29, 2010

el_caballo posted:

It is technically completely playable on its own, but the Daybreak roles tend to be crazier than the classic One Night roles, there's a lot more unpredictability and role switching going on. I enjoy many of the Daybreak roles, but only when mixing them with the original set. I've gotten stuck playing with Daybreak one evening and it was a clusterfuck, you don't have enough reasonably vanilla roles to prevent the game from turning into all out nonsense.

e: or do ^^^^ that, but I still would rather play with robber, seer, and troublemaker as the "base" than any three roles from Daybreak

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR

Chomp8645 posted:

Anyone have thoughts on the game Samurai by FFG?

I saw it my FLGS shop and thought it was interesting, and did not realize at the time that it's actually a reprint (remake?) of a classic game. Am I correct in deducing that it has as much in common with old parlor games as it does modern board games? I was thinking it might be something my family would like.

It's pretty simple and abstract. It's not anything like an old parlor game (or at least not the old parlor games I'm familiar with). It's a nice, short gateway style game.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.

Chomp8645 posted:

I saw it my FLGS shop and thought it was interesting, and did not realize at the time that it's actually a reprint (remake?) of a classic game. Am I correct in deducing that it has as much in common with old parlor games as it does modern board games? I was thinking it might be something my family would like.

It's not a reprint of any old parlor game. It's a reprint of a 20-year-old abstract tile-laying game by Reiner Knizia.

efb

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
It's weird that Food Chain Magnate is apparently so much fun, because it literally looks like the most boring game design I've ever seen.

The cards aren't bad, I guess, but jesus that board. It looks like something that was prototyped and then they forgot to add the actual graphics to it.

Edit: For reference:

jmzero
Jul 24, 2007

Indolent Bastard posted:

I think the best game of a similar type might be Hanabi.

I think that's part of what made it suffer for us - Hanabi does "co-operate with limited information" so well for us that both the "card playing" and "support giving" (in Grizzled) bits felt really weak in comparison. Meanwhile the "push your luck"ing didn't feel like it was generating any kind of interesting decisions. I'm sure we didn't play perfectly or something, but the decisions seemed either quite clear, or we had to make them without enough information context. Finally, the game snowballs really hard; I guess you could read it as just great conveyance about the hopelessness of war or something, but there's a lot of positive feedback pressure on losing that we found really off-putting (lots of co-ops have this property, though - I'm probably more bothered by this than others are).

quote:

The way I look at it it is cheap enough and only lasts 30 minutes. Based on those factors I can risk the purchase even if it does fizzle in the end. Any chance you want to off load your copy?

I will be getting rid of it, but I don't like shipping (I usually sell games in bulk for mega-cheap to whoever is willing to come pick them up). Is anyone here in Edmonton? If so, PM me and I'll let you know when I'm dumping stuff.

quote:

Also did you play without traps a few times? It is probably almost impossible for a new group of players to win with traps in play.

We played twice, both without traps, and won the second game. It seems like traps would be impossible to consistently avoid, and you'd just have to continuously be hoping you didn't die. For anyone who hasn't tried it, I wouldn't say to avoid it if you get a free shot at it or something. As before, there is some unique stuff about it - I just thought, as a game, there was a bunch of stuff that didn't work.

jmzero fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Jan 4, 2016

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Morpheus posted:

It's weird that Food Chain Magnate is apparently so much fun, because it literally looks like the most boring game design I've ever seen.

The cards aren't bad, I guess, but jesus that board. It looks like something that was prototyped and then they forgot to add the actual graphics to it.

Eh. I think it looks fine. It's got a great 50's aesthetic and, honestly, keeping the map minimal is great for quickly looking at it and parsing the tile ranges and advertising territories. YMMV.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Morpheus posted:

I just...I don't understand this concern. It might be the mechanics-above-all in me, but I never let how the game looks make me not want to play the game.

Now, it might influence *whether* or not I like the game, or how much, and of course some elements of visual design can actively detract from playing (Urbania holy poo poo those colors) but to not want to play at all just because of that?

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

silvergoose posted:

I just...I don't understand this concern. It might be the mechanics-above-all in me, but I never let how the game looks make me not want to play the game.

Now, it might influence *whether* or not I like the game, or how much, and of course some elements of visual design can actively detract from playing (Urbania holy poo poo those colors) but to not want to play at all just because of that?

Never said I didn't want to play it. But it's, well, boring to look at. Games can be both visually appealing with deep mechanics in play, and each of those apply to different people, but when I look at a board that resembles an excel spreadsheet my eyes just glaze over. There's a reason why profession like designer or whatever is still sought after - looking at boring things isn't as fun as looking at not-boring things.

Like, I really want to play the game, don't get me wrong. And I know that, really, mechanics are the most important thing when it comes to board games. But part of my brain that enjoys aesthetics really just does not give a poo poo (and finds it drat near impossible to justify the price tag). Also I can't ever imagine unpacking that box and having people say "Yes this looks like an interesting game I want to play."

Edit: Frankly if I didn't know anything about it I'd expect it to be as boring as it looks, but I'm a ~savvy~ boardgamer.

DoubleEdit: Seriously though this thing is $120 in Canada, what the heck.

Morpheus fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Jan 4, 2016

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Board games are a physical medium and aesthetics definitely matter. The most annoying thing about FCM is that half of the art and design is fantastic (box and cards), but the board and components are like a 1st draft prototype. There's no consistency.

taser rates
Mar 30, 2010
Yea, I found it a little odd as well particularly since Splotter has done nice looking map tiles in the past, like with Zimbabwe or Antiquity. FCM is good enough that it doesn't bother me, but I can't really blame anyone for being put off by the tile graphics. Also I wish they found a way to include more pizza and burger tokens, we're always running out of those in games with 3 or more players.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

jmzero posted:

I think that's part of what made it suffer for us - Hanabi does "co-operate with limited information" so well for us that both the "card playing" and "support giving" (in Grizzled) bits felt really weak in comparison. Meanwhile the "push your luck"ing didn't feel like it was generating any kind of interesting decisions. I'm sure we didn't play perfectly or something, but the decisions seemed either quite clear, or we had to make them without enough information context. Finally, the game snowballs really hard; I guess you could read it as just great conveyance about the hopelessness of war or something, but there's a lot of positive feedback pressure on losing that we found really off-putting (lots of co-ops have this property, though - I'm probably more bothered by this than others are).

This seems to be a common thing people see in the game, and if you have studied the hellish disorganized meatgrinder that WWI was it is especially resonant.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Morpheus posted:

DoubleEdit: Seriously though this thing is $120 in Canada, what the heck.

Super-small print run + locally sourcing components as much as possible.

iceyman
Jul 11, 2001

Scyther posted:

I enjoy many of the Daybreak roles, but only when mixing them with the original set.

What are your favorite setups?

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
If you can even FIND it (FCM) in Canada anywhere (if you can then spill it come on don't hold out on me :mad:)

lordsummerisle
Aug 4, 2013
Played a few games of Steampunk Rally. Really loving it, but it seems like different players have VERY different abilty to grasp how to construct a good engine. This makes the game really sink down with AP as everyone is waiting for the slowest player. Still quite lightweight, just doesnt flow naturally for everyone.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR
FCM is a fifties look, I guess after 18xx it never even occurred to me that there was an issue with any of the components. I'm used to abstracted components hiding really really good games.

The End
Apr 16, 2007

You're welcome.

Chomp8645 posted:

One of the few Renier Knizia games that I don't find dry as old wallpaper. It's a pretty simple tile-laying, point collecting game. The samurai theme is more or less pasted on - you'd never mistake it for a wargame - but it's an enjoyable game.

Bullbar
Apr 18, 2007

The Aristocrats!

ConfusedUs posted:

I pretty much prefer Dominion in every possible way.

Samesies, but the theme seems to draw people in. And it's a better deckbuilder than poo poo like Ascension or Star Realms or whatever, with a few nice little touches that make it kinda interesting.

I got Codenames for Christmas too and holy poo poo that game owns.

gutterdaughter
Oct 21, 2010

keep yr head up, problem girl

The End posted:

One of the few Renier Knizia games that I don't find dry as old wallpaper. It's a pretty simple tile-laying, point collecting game. The samurai theme is more or less pasted on - you'd never mistake it for a wargame - but it's an enjoyable game.

Seconded. This and Tigris & Euphrates are the only reason I'd give the guy the time of day anymore.

There's also an app version of the game, if you wanna try before you drop $40-$50 on it.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

I rate T&E really highly but man does the rest of his catalogue not inspire me at all.

Scyther
Dec 29, 2010

Cocks Cable posted:

What are your favorite setups?

That's a really good question, and I wish I had an answer. We usually just pick something that "feels right" and change it around after the round, usually in favor of the team that lost, or if we feel like it really worked we'll play that setup some more. We don't really have setups that we consciously return to. We usually avoid roles like that Drunk and Village Idiot which are bordering on existing just for the sake of monkey cheese bullshit.

cenotaph
Mar 2, 2013

Knizia's auction games always look really appealing to me but the neat mechanics are completely undercut by the amount of luck. It's pretty obvious that the luck is there to make them more approachable to casual players but it also renders enough of the decisions meaningless to kill serious play.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
Hey people who are wondering what a good step up from Codenames into board games that have strong long and short-term decision making by individual players for large groups of normies is: The answer is For Sale. This brilliant little game got played even more than Codenames did over my holiday break. Consider it your new introductory Catan - it plays on the the same set of brain rewards that Catan does when it comes to outsmarting people into getting a better deal, but still works when everyone at the table is dedicated to being an rear end in a top hat.

CaptainRightful
Jan 11, 2005

Scyther posted:

That's a really good question, and I wish I had an answer. We usually just pick something that "feels right" and change it around after the round, usually in favor of the team that lost, or if we feel like it really worked we'll play that setup some more. We don't really have setups that we consciously return to. We usually avoid roles like that Drunk and Village Idiot which are bordering on existing just for the sake of monkey cheese bullshit.

The Doppelganger is another good one to leave out unless all players are really familiar with the game.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

CaptainRightful posted:

The Doppelganger is another good one to leave out unless all players are really familiar with the game.

Doppelganger is virtually unplayable and not much fun, to be honest. Using it severely increases the length of the Night, which is boring for anyone not currently acting.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Tigris & Euphrates is an amazing game I never want to play again because of the brain-burn it requires.

Blamestorm
Aug 14, 2004

We LOL at death! Watch us LOL. Love the LOL.

Tekopo posted:

I rate T&E really highly but man does the rest of his catalogue not inspire me at all.

Same with the exception of Amun-Re which I think is also pretty darn great.

Merauder
Apr 17, 2003

The North Remembers.

Jedit posted:

Doppelganger is virtually unplayable and not much fun, to be honest. Using it severely increases the length of the Night, which is boring for anyone not currently acting.

"Severely" might be a bit of an overstatement, since it only adds extra call-outs for select roles; most are handled in the original Doppleganger call-out. Assuming you have the app set to a 5 second role window, you're adding, at most 15-20 extra seconds to the night phase. Not really a deal-breaker in my opinion. That said, really do need experienced people to play with it since everyone needs to be super comfortable with the roles in play and how they work, but when you have that I think the role really shines. It gives some very interesting lines of play to all 3 teams (villagers, werewolves, and even the tanner), while also adding some potential chaos to the experience, in a good way. One of my favorite memories with the game was playing with both the Doppleganger and the Alpha Wolf, in which the former hit the latter at the start of the night. They gave the center werewolf card (a 4th center card perpendicular to the rest that always starts as a wolf, goes with the AW role) to the Seer, putting the seer card in the middle. The original Alpha Wolf wakes up, does the same action and gives the Seer card to someone else, not knowing that it isn't a werewolf card anymore. The original Seer then wakes up and looks at a player's card...and sees their own Seer card. o_O

Was actually easy enough to figure out how it happened once everyone analyzed it, but added a lot of points for players to be able to lie and hide behind questionable plays. Was a really fun game.

burger time
Apr 17, 2005

Ra is a fantastic game and you knizia haters are wrong.

Bullbar
Apr 18, 2007

The Aristocrats!

burger time posted:

Ra is a fantastic game and you knizia haters are wrong.

The General
Mar 4, 2007

Bought Hanabi Deluxe, Jesus this game smells terrible. I'm getting high off the fumes.

dropkickpikachu
Dec 20, 2003

Ash: You sell rocks?
Flint: Pewter City souveneirs, you want to buy some?
Yeah you're gonna have to air that sucker out, maybe put an air freshener in the box for a while. FWIW, my copy had a smell but it wasn't overpowering like a lot of people on BGG were saying.

MonkeyMaker
May 22, 2006

What's your poison, sir?

The General posted:

Bought Hanabi Deluxe, Jesus this game smells terrible. I'm getting high off the fumes.

We've had two copies of it at work and it's now become a first game troll to have the new players sniff the box. A year on and they both still reek despite being left open for long stretches at a time

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
New Game Smell is one of my favorite things in the world, so knowing that, somewhere out there, there's a stinky box gives me great pain.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I
Would you guys not recommend The Grizzled if my group has been playing and enjoying Samurai Spirit lately? It seems like something we'd enjoy, but it also seems like it's maybe too similar to be playing back-to-back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gareth Gobulcoque
Jan 10, 2008

The General posted:

Try putting a dryer sheet in there.