Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

Whoa this owns

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

it's a vanity BYOB emoticon from like ten years ago and it does not own

humpthewind
Jan 8, 2007

Noblest of all dogs is the hot-dog; it feeds the hand that bites it.

Chairchucker posted:

it's a vanity BYOB emoticon from like ten years ago and it does not own

The halcyon days of BYOB do indeed own

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Dexo posted:

Man the more I look into this dumb bulls team the more confused I get.

http://www.basketball-reference.com/teams/CHI/2017.html

How in the gently caress were the Bulls the 6th best defensive team(Points allowed, and Drtg) in the league this year. Can someone smarter than me look into this. Because whoo boy does the Eye test completely fail me on that one.

I think your eye is telling you ugly, plodding games are bad all-around, but in reality the Bulls defense is fine and their offense is ugly. They have the right personnel for a good defensive team. You have rim protection, you have bigs that can defend on the perimeter, you have a lockdown-perimeter wing, and you have guys that can attack the passing lanes. Combine that with good rebounding and I'm not surprised your sniffing around the top-5.

Their offense was god-awful outside of Butler, but they were a .500 team through and through, so they were making up for the offense somewhere.

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch
https://twitter.com/JADubin5/status/853809851163709440/video/1

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

https://twitter.com/tribjazz/status/854034629929582592

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

axeil posted:

Go Bulls then.

Unless the Wizards match up better against the Celtics...but I'm guessing that's not the case. Who knows, I'm a stupid NBA playoff poster. Just hoping things are fun to watch.

edit: I guess the big question is, do people with better NBA knowledge than me think the Bulls can actually manage to win the series? They looked like they were the better team but it was only one game.

Echoing Dexo's post, yes, the Bulls can and may just win the series. I'd honestly say it's 50/50 because the Celtics have a bunch of solid players and the Bulls have a few good players and a bunch of boom or bust role players.

The problem for the Kaeltics is this. Their offense without IT is just not good. No matter what they try, like using Avery Bradley as lead guard, playing Brown at sg, Crowder at 3, Jerebko at 4, and Horford at 5. (82 games isnt working for me so I Dont know if they've actually run this lineup) it's incredibly difficult for them to score without IT on the court. He's their only creator who can also score. Rozier will pass, Horford can make his little jumpers, but that's just a little bite out of a large FUCKIN CHICAGO STYLE PIZZA DEEP DISH.

Again as Dexo said, even without Taj gibson, the Bulls are much better rebounding team, and that's even factoring in the Celtics ignoring orebounds spurs style. They have a lot of players who are boom or bust shooters, so offensively rebounding Rondo and Butler missies (which are closer to the basket and easier to predict for the rebounder and his boxing out teammates) will happen.

The Celtics have 2 or 2.5 players who theoretically they can put on Wade and Butler and consider them well covered, and then have guys who can help. That being Crowder/Smart/Brown/Horford/and Avery Bradley if you just want to pressure a backup pg like MCW but not for real. But the Celtics are always playing 4 on 5 on defense with IT on the floor. He's just too small, and the Bulls are bigger than the Celtics at every position but center.

Jae Crowder and Marcus Smart are great defenders, but Jimmy Butler makes superstar shots, and when Wade is on, he gets superstar calls and makes superstar shots. that can't win a series alone, but it's really loving demoralizing to run a crisp offense and to help the helper and the other team still scores and you can't bite into their lead.

If the Celtics win I think it will require Bradley Stevens the most intelligent man in history sitting IT for stretches and Smart and doing some weird stuff with Jerebko and Brown, Crowder, Bradley/Smart, and Horford. Letting Jimmy Butler get beat up and carry the bulls for a while, and bring out IT to pile on some points, and then hide him again when he gets his wind back. It's got to be a chess match. This is actually a very intersting series, we're lucky in that we get this, Bucks/Raptors, and Jazz/Clippers.

Leon Einstein posted:

Which of the underdogs do you guys feel might actually move on? The Bucks looked dominant to me, but I've seen them play like poo poo for no reason before too. Game 2 will tell us a lot.
The Bucks will win the series because the Raptors answers to the Bucks questions are simply not adequate. Pj Tucker would have fit in perfectly if Jabari was healthy, but he's not. Lowry is going to be covered by a guard whose focus is going to be 80% on defense. Deroazan will be smotherd by a big wing with help from another big Wing and a guard poking at him from behind. Ibaka is the most unclutch loving guy in the NBA, not because of his mind, but because he never developed his game, he's basically ersan ilyasova who plays defense. Their bench unit killer in Valanciunas is easily bodied and shoved around by the Moose, Greg Monroe.
IF the Raptors win it will be on Deroazan Kobe shots, Lowry off the dribble threes, and terrible shooting from the Bucks.
I like the Bucks to win in 6.

I also like the Jazz to beat the Clippers, before the series started everyone said George Hill was hurt, but it looks more like Blake Griffin is hurt than George Hill. And even with Gobert out they have a very good NBA center in Derrick Favors, playing his true position, which always gives guys a morale boost, who can score from several places on the floor, protect the rim, and does know to pass once in a while. That also opens up power forward to three guys, Boris Diaw for playmaking when George Hill isn't in the game, Trey Lyles for Buckets, and Iso Joe for breaking hearts. Hayward can run the offense while Hood slithers to the basket. The Jazz have so many guys and can present so many looks. I guess Withey will be playing more now that Gobert is hurt, he's been pretty solidly defensively in limited minutes but not much more.

Counterpoint: Chris Paul is so loving good and angry, and sometimes Blake just wins a game and no one can stop him. But I'm going to give the edge to the Jazz.

I picked OKC to win but that looks farfetched, they just can't score with Houston, it will take Roberson making threes, Adams playing like a maniac, they just don't have enough players to stop the hardantoni assault, and that was obvious form the outset. I let narrative get the best of me.

dokmo posted:

It's hard to measure. Curry isn't the greatest PNR player, neither is Klay. Their best playmaker is Draymond, which is why they run the post ups. They want Curry and Klay doing stuff off the catch where they are murderous. The ball screen actions they do run are usually early offense drags and double drags where Curry doesn't have to do much dribbling or passing. He is very good at these.
Maybe this is a false memory but it seems like when they ran pnr a bit more, it was Curry making a dribble move as a fake to hop into a three, and defenders started backing way off , letting him get to the rim, but defenses got wise to it and it's tougher without Bogut setting illegal screens. And as you say, their pnr works best when Draymond is the ball handler and little guys are screening and rolling. I dont know what to call their offense with Bogut other than a weird Triangle/Corner out of the corner/pnr hybrid, and without Bogut's passing they have to rely more on flare screens, little dribble handoffs, constant cutting, the threadt of Durant scoring from anywhere to distract defenses so those cuts and handoffs happen in a less encumbered way than if the Jazz or Celtics were running them.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

So based on game 1s, you're saying you think each under dog has the advantage/split odds to win the series? Charity bet then?

$25 to the other charity of choice.

You win if 2/3 or 3/3 dogs who are up 1-0 win their series, I win if the dogs go 0/3 or 1/3.

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

Lockback posted:

So based on game 1s, you're saying you think each under dog has the advantage/split odds to win the series? Charity bet then?

You win if 2/3 or 3/3 dogs who are up 1-0 win their series, I win if the dogs go 0/3 or 1/3.

Sincce I have 1 game already I'll take your bet of 2/3 for 25
Have fun rooting for the Clippers and Raptors

G-Hawk
Dec 15, 2003

i'm really interested to see how the rest of the toronto milwaukee series goes. Really this is a fairly compelling set of 1st round series imo, i dunno if any are gonna be stand out amazing but this weekend had a lot of fun basketball

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Dejan Bimble posted:

Sincce I have 1 game already I'll take your bet of 2/3 for 25

The pact is sealed. I feel confident putting my money on the Bulls and Bucks losing.

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

Lockback posted:

The pact is sealed. I feel confident putting my money on the Bulls and Bucks losing.

For my edification tell me why you think the Celtics can overcome their FATAL FLAW and how the Raptors can navigate their matchup problems with the Bucks, unless the answer is just make more threes, which is reasonable

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
This is some weird narrative you built in your head about how Bogut is way more important offensively than he was. He was an okay player that filled a 15 minute niche, the Warriors had a better offense than previous years when Durant was injured, unless you're saying Matt Barnes/Patrick McCaw are the most lethal shooters in the league to draw attention

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Dejan Bimble posted:

For my edification tell me why you think the Celtics can overcome their FATAL FLAW and how the Raptors can navigate their matchup problems with the Bucks, unless the answer is just make more threes, which is reasonable

Celtics are a better team than the Bulls, and I don't think the Bulls have the FT and Offensive Rebound advantage that they had in game 1 throughout the series. The Bulls may have an advantage, but they had huge numbers and it was almost a coin-flip game.

Raptors have a lot of weapons and I don't think the Bucks D will be as effective as the series goes along. I think Lowry bounces back.

And I probably wouldn't have taken this bet if Gobert didn't go down (as I favored Utah before game 1), but I think even with the loss Clippers are a better team right now. This one I legit think is a toss-up and the one I would be least surprised going to the underdog.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

Cool Buff Man posted:

I've been saying the same thing for a while, so I entered these playoffs like a much quieter Raptors fan. It's way too easy to find a way to stack the deck against the Celtics and bully them if you have size and I really didn't want them playing the stinkin' Bulls. Fred Hoiberg has done it again. I still think they scrape by in the series due to blind homerism though
Making wild assumptions about the series based on the first game is an important part of the playoffs though.

Who're they gonna make a statue out of when los tres alphas finally take down LeBron? How many coaches will adopt the "Hoibergian system" and start showing random clips of Dumb and Dumber and There's Something About Mary before games?

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

Tae posted:

This is some weird narrative you built in your head about how Bogut is way more important offensively than he was. He was an okay player that filled a 15 minute niche, the Warriors had a better offense than previous years when Durant was injured, unless you're saying Matt Barnes/Patrick McCaw are the most lethal shooters in the league to draw attention

I'm not saying he was a great player, just that he was involved in so many of their actions and that he'd end up with the ball after it was swung around and end up passing to open shooters, that lead to easy offense, plus his defense let them get out in transition and make those stupid transition threes that make the away crowd really mad. Compare Zaza warriors to Bogut warriors, they have reasonably similar skill sets, you could say Zaza is a poor man's Bogut, but very different results.

Bogut good player. Bogut smart player.

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

Lockback posted:

Celtics are a better team than the Bulls, and I don't think the Bulls have the FT and Offensive Rebound advantage that they had in game 1 throughout the series. The Bulls may have an advantage, but they had huge numbers and it was almost a coin-flip game.

Raptors have a lot of weapons and I don't think the Bucks D will be as effective as the series goes along. I think Lowry bounces back.

And I probably wouldn't have taken this bet if Gobert didn't go down (as I favored Utah before game 1), but I think even with the loss Clippers are a better team right now. This one I legit think is a toss-up and the one I would be least surprised going to the underdog.

The raptors have 3 power forwards who may or may not make an impact on the series. What's an interesting possibility to me is unleashing Nogueria and just having him rim run to see if that startles the Bucks into playing John Henson too much or something like that. Or matching the Bucks all length lineup with something like Joseph, Deroazan, Tucker, Patches and Ibaka at center. I want it to get really weird, Like Lowry, Normal Powell, Tucker, Ibaka, Nogueria. This is the playoffs! It's when all the mad scientist poo poo happens

Dejan Bimble fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Apr 17, 2017

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova

Lockback posted:

The Bulls got to the line 23 times after getting there 22.5 times per game in the regular season. The Celtics got there 19 times and averaged it 23 times per game in the regular season.

The Bulls were the second-least fouling team in the regular season; the Celtics were the sixth fouliest. I don't think the FTA situation was too crazy in Game 1

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Dejan Bimble posted:

I'm not saying he was a great player, just that he was involved in so many of their actions and that he'd end up with the ball after it was swung around and end up passing to open shooters, that lead to easy offense, plus his defense let them get out in transition and make those stupid transition threes that make the away crowd really mad. Compare Zaza warriors to Bogut warriors, they have reasonably similar skill sets, you could say Zaza is a poor man's Bogut, but very different results.

Bogut good player. Bogut smart player.

Zaza is way better than Bogut as an overall player, especially if you're somehow forgetting last year's Bogut who was generally pretty awful and out of shape because his offensive liability was a big problem.

Hey mavs, how was the awesome bogut

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Punkin Spunkin posted:

Making wild assumptions about the series based on the first game is an important part of the playoffs though.

Who're they gonna make a statue out of when los tres alphas finally take down LeBron? How many coaches will adopt the "Hoibergian system" and start showing random clips of Dumb and Dumber and There's Something About Mary before games?

Hoibergian Chaos theory--> predicting which of 3 subatomic particles and sub-sub nuons will be hot (i.e. not absolute zeroes) on a given game day wins Nobel Prize.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Mr. Mambold posted:

Hoibergian Chaos theory--> predicting which of 3 subatomic particles and sub-sub nuons will be hot (i.e. not absolute zeroes) on a given game day wins Nobel Prize.

Only Hoiberg can make sense out of the entropy that is contained within Niko Mirotic.

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Lockback posted:

Charity bets are a good new trend imo

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene
https://twitter.com/SportsCenter/st...%3Df431bf0ee4a4

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

Tae posted:

Zaza is way better than Bogut as an overall player, especially if you're somehow forgetting last year's Bogut who was generally pretty awful and out of shape because his offensive liability was a big problem.

Hey mavs, how was the awesome bogut

You're talking about chronically injured terminal decline Bogut, I'm talking about the first Warriors emergence and 2014-15 Bogut and the times he wasn't injured in 2015-16. Pachulia makes nice passes but he isn't a defensive force or a great rebounder.

Would you take 2017 Pachulia over 2015 Bogut?

I feel like I'm talking to the world's most dangerous escaped lunatic, Andrew Bogut was very important to the Golden State Championship team and his injury in last years finals was a factor in Cleveland winning.

Dejan Bimble fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Apr 17, 2017

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

i like to express my inner pain by being really boring on the phone
or just when i'm kickin it
that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd
Lockback and Dejan and CBM we are officially feuding about IT's effectiveness in the playoffs. I think he's just about the only bright spot for them right now. The rest of the team's inability to score under any circumstances is way more detrimental than his lack of defense.

I think he's a playoffs dude! A real postseason boy!

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Chairchucker posted:

Charity bets are a good new trend imo

Charity Toxxes have existed for years so I'm not really sure it's new...it's definitely good though.

Dejan Bimble posted:

This is without a doubt the worst part of the bet imo.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

IcePhoenix posted:

This is without a doubt the worst part of the bet imo.

It's sorta win/win since Bulls & Bucks in the 2nd round would be cool and good.

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

Dejan Bimble posted:

Would you take 2017 Pachulia over 2015 Bogut?

I feel like I'm talking to the world's most dangerous escaped lunatic, Andrew Bogut was very important to the Golden State Championship team and his injury in last years finals was a factor in Cleveland winning.

It was the thing which truly pushed them over. The bogut minutes at the start of 3rd quarter game 7 went to Speights (I think?) and the Warriors quickly gave up the 7 point lead they had built in q2 to a sequence of plays picking on the center position.

That said I might almost take pachulia, who my phone wants to autocorrect to pachinko. Pachulia can pass out of the post almost as well as bogues and has a reasonably reliable jumper that he is willing to use to keep defenses honest. 2015 Bogut never wanted to take any shot but a lob dunk. On the defensive side Pachinko is not nearly the shot blocking genius that Bogut was, because he is even more rooted to the floor and also not as tall, but he is a smart positional defender.

Overall probably Bogut but Pachulia does good things in the games where he does not look like the corpse of an NBA player, and has the body of an oak tree which gives you confidence it will not snap at random times unlike the bizarrely fragile Bogut. Combined with the center by committee options Kerr has available now I think the warriors arguably improved that position compared to 2015.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

My only thing about the Raptors is that in past years, I would excuse Lowry's poo poo performance for playing too many minutes in the regular season.

But now he had like two months off and still playing exactly the same bad as before. So who knows, maybe he's just a bad playoff player.

predicto
Jul 22, 2004

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON
Bogut good player. Bogut smart player - excellent defender and screener and passer.

Unfortunately, Bogut 15-18 minute per game player max, and often broken.

The lack of those 15-18 minutes per game in last year's finals probably cost the Warriors the championship. Ezili was also out so the Warriors had no centers and were required to go 100 percent small ball for the whole series. Playing small ball for 48 minutes a game takes too much out of the players because of how hard they have to work on defense. You could see how exhausted all of the Warriors were by the end of each game, and it killed their offensive movement and shooting percentage.

Zaza isn't as good as Bogut on defense, or screens. His passing is good, but not quite Bogut level either. The difference is that Zaza will be there every game, putting in his minutes, bodying people, letting the Warriors go small for shorter stretches where they can blitz teams awhile without hitting the exhaustion wall.

predicto fucked around with this message at 21:01 on Apr 17, 2017

Blind Pineapple
Oct 27, 2010

For The Perfect Fruit 'n' Kaman

1 part gin
1 part pomegranate syrup
Fill with pineapple juice
Serve over crushed ice

College Slice

axeil posted:

NBA idiot question: how often do 8 seeds beat the 1 seed in the first round? I thought it was usually pretty one-sided but I know jack-poo poo about the NBA other than I like watching dudes dunk and get rebounds.

It has happened 5 times, but only 2 were really legit.

1994: Nuggets over Sonics (Legit, although the score differential is funny)
1999: Knicks over Heat (Lockout year, with a full season, the Knicks are better than an 8 seed)
2007: Warriors over Mavs (Legit af)
2011: Grizzlies over Spurs (Manu Ginobili missed series with a broken arm)
2012: Sixers over Bulls (Derrick Rose missed series with first of many torn ACLs)

The Duggler
Feb 20, 2011

I do not hear you, I do not see you, I will not let you get into the Duggler's head with your bring-downs.

Dejan Bimble posted:

The raptors have 3 power forwards who may or may not make an impact on the series. What's an interesting possibility to me is unleashing Nogueria and just having him rim run to see if that startles the Bucks into playing John Henson too much or something like that. Or matching the Bucks all length lineup with something like Joseph, Deroazan, Tucker, Patches and Ibaka at center. I want it to get really weird, Like Lowry, Normal Powell, Tucker, Ibaka, Nogueria. This is the playoffs! It's when all the mad scientist poo poo happens

If you think coach Casey is going to start experimenting to good effect, you haven't been watching much raptors ball in the last few years

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Blind Pineapple posted:

Manu actually played in that series, because I remember him shooting free throws with one arm. That series is the reason why Pop finally went to embrace the 3-pointers and run+gun because Antonio McDyce's old rear end couldn't do poo poo in that series.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

Blind Pineapple posted:

It has happened 5 times, but only 2 were really legit.

1994: Nuggets over Sonics (Legit, although the score differential is funny)
1999: Knicks over Heat (Lockout year, with a full season, the Knicks are better than an 8 seed)
2007: Warriors over Mavs (Legit af)
2012: Sixers over Bulls (Derrick Rose missed series with first of many torn ACLs)

Man, I always forget that the Bulls were a 1 seed that year

priaprism
Jul 30, 2008
https://twitter.com/itsgabrielleu/status/853767692746194945

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

incredible

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

man i cant believe how badly I want this garbage rear end gross bulls team to win. Like it's disgusting to watch them play, and this is from someone who watches Dwane Casey's offense. and yet, the alphas man. the alphas.

E2M2
Mar 2, 2007

Ain't No Thang.
http://www.tmz.com/2017/04/17/carmelo-lala-anthony-separated/

https://twitter.com/TMZ_Sports/status/854065090273828864

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Carmelo is definitely leaving New York.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Duggler
Feb 20, 2011

I do not hear you, I do not see you, I will not let you get into the Duggler's head with your bring-downs.

I guess it's confirmed he is leaving NYC

• Locked thread