Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through

zeal posted:

playing a lot of Tomb Kings in total warhammer 2 has me looking at Necrons since the AoS undead line really does not scratch the same itch of 'idiosyncratic undead monarchs' and the fluff changes to Necrons have really amped that up

has me eying both sides of the Forgebane box

There's a lot of fun stuff you can do with making your own Necron characters. I based my army around this story:

quote:

In 824.M41, the shadow-shrouded Imperial world of Athonos was wracked by severe earth tremors. The cause remained a mystery to the planet’s populace until a colossal Cairn-class Tomb Ship, captained by the Necron pirate king Thaszar the Invincible, emerged from beneath the ground; shedding soil, rock and fragments of hab-block from its hull as it rose after sixty million standard years of hibernation. The world's defences were, understandably, in disarray due to the event, but fortunately for Athonos’ inhabitants, Thaszar had yet to realise that humans are an intelligent form of life, and payed no more attention to the panicked defenders than he would to a nest of insects. Whilst the Athonosian planetary capital lay in ruins, the rest of the planet survived relatively unscathed as the Tomb Ship headed into the stars, towards the Tomb World of Zapennec, the Crownworld of the Sarnekh Dynasty Thaszar had been exiled from, pausing only to obliterate a holo-stealthed Eldar listening post hidden in near-orbit for long millennia.

Upon reaching Zapennec after being driven by an urge he could not identify, Thaszar found its people deep in hibernation. Taking advantage of this opportunity, he inveigled his way into the Tomb World's master program. In short order he convinced the master program that he, Thaszar the Invincible, was no dishonoured Necron noble returned from exile, but in fact the rightful Phaeron of the Sarnekh Dynasty! For good measure, he then ordered that his updated status be engrammatically encoded into the minds of the Tomb World's slumbering Necrons. So did the most notorious outcast of Zapennec become its ruler, and those who had banished him become his servants. Under Thaszar's command, the ancient and noble crownworld of the Sarnekh Dynasty has been made over into the Reaveworld. In the shroud of orbital wreckage surrounding the planet dating back to the War in Heaven, Thaszar has access to all the raw materials he will ever need to build a Necron pirate fleet the scale of which has not been seen for 60 million standard years; in the reprogrammed Necrons of Zapennec, he has crews and captains of unfailing loyalty. Thaszar's vessels have already begun to prowl both the Webway and realspace, and the galaxy will surely come to rue the day he awakened

And my version of Thaszar:

Really not looking forward to painting a Necron army again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Milotic posted:

Some of you are so lame with your reaction to the Armiger. It’s a fast moving Knight that has a freaking Chainsword and is often piloted by the bastard illegitimate offspring of Nobles, eager to prove their worth and bloodline. And you get two of them so they can hunt in packs. It rocks.

The problem is that you're comparing the Rule of Cool to the Rule of Good.

Is it cool? Abso-loving-lutely.

Is it good? Depends on the points, but in terms of role (Lord of War) and armament it seems a bit underwhelming.

I'm leaning towards a pair of these and a Knight Errant if it's around 1000 points. That would be a relatively easy and fast way to finish up my Primaris marines once I get the core done.

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat

MasterSlowPoke posted:

What happened to your old one?

Also holy poo poo thats the best title for a necron.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Artum posted:

What happened to your old one?

Also holy poo poo thats the best title for a necron.

Just not up to my current standard. Most of my vehicles have 5 year old paintjobs at this point.

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice

Booyah- posted:

Yeah, that cg model in the bottom right looks like the full CAD design of the new cryptek.

It's not a perfect match, I'm pretty sure that 3D model is an amateur design based on the video they posted. People do 3D unit designs for some online tabletop gaming program I can't remember the name of.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Proletariat Beowulf posted:

e: HAHAHA OH MY STARS AND GOD-ENSLAVERS, 1 CP on a Necron character: Invuln saves cannot be taken against them. Hooooo boy.

If they're willing to add stuff like that it only seems fitting to give the Drew Carey one that lets the character ignore Feel No Pain rules.

Though, on second thought, every unit that gets that has their own rule name for it now, right?

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

If they're willing to add stuff like that it only seems fitting to give the Drew Carey one that lets the character ignore Feel No Pain rules.

Though, on second thought, every unit that gets that has their own rule name for it now, right?

It's only ignoring invulns on a single attack. Good on the Nightbringer or something but you're not one shotting Magnus or anything.

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

In the grim future, there is only commerce.
aw gently caress Forgebane is going to lead to me starting Necrons isn't it.

I've become what I hate.

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

Actually I’ve noticed the new Cryptek appears to be missing from this leak?

Maybe an older version or something.

Proletariat Beowulf
Jan 7, 2007
I wish meat screamed as I ate it.

Lord Ludikrous posted:

Actually I’ve noticed the new Cryptek appears to be missing from this leak?

Maybe an older version or something.

Nah, it's a Canoptek Cloak, which can be taken in place of the Chronometron--no 5++ to shooting, but 10" movement and restores D3 instead of 1 wound when he repairs.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Is the new Cryptek the only new model the Necrons are getting for now?

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Xenomrph posted:

Is the new Cryptek the only new model the Necrons are getting for now?

Yes. Since the Wraiths came out 6 years ago, the Sisters of Battle have gotten more models than the Necrons.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

As someone who has been out of the game for years, are Sisters of Battle still an army you can field?

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat

Xenomrph posted:

As someone who has been out of the game for years, are Sisters of Battle still an army you can field?

Yes and they remain a bit of a sleeper in being extremely powerful but not widely played because gently caress an army with 10ppm metal infantry that cost £40 for a squad.

E: make that £50 for a squad christ.

Artum fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Mar 12, 2018

Foul Ole Ron
Jan 6, 2005

All of you, please don't rush, everyone do the Guybrush!
Fun Shoe

Artum posted:

Yes and they remain a bit of a sleeper in being extremely powerful but not widely played because gently caress an army with 10ppm metal infantry that cost £40 for a squad.

Knew a guy who managed to get 2k sisters army for under, €200 EURO. Exorcists, repentia, everything.

He sold after the garbage rules of last edition, so I'd be curious to see what he thinks now.

TheArmorOfContempt
Nov 29, 2012

Did I ever tell you my favorite color was blue?

OhDearGodNo posted:

Tell me about that game table please

My father-in-law and wife's gift to me. Basically she paid for the materials, and my father-in-law has some wood working skills. I've had the thing since Christmas, but wasn't able to finish the room until this last weekend. It has been awesome to have people over to play 40K and D&D on it...you know...like human friends and poo poo, so weird.

Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

Groetgaffel smacked the living shit out of himself doing 297 points of damage.

TheChirurgeon posted:

End of the month

That's time enough before I leave! :getin:

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Milotic posted:

Some of you are so lame with your reaction to the Armiger. It’s a fast moving Knight that has a freaking Chainsword and is often piloted by the bastard illegitimate offspring of Nobles, eager to prove their worth and bloodline. And you get two of them so they can hunt in packs. It rocks.
Yes, hello, and welcome to the latest iteration of the 40k thread where models don't matter and math and lists rule the land.

:smithicide:

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Xenomrph posted:

Not just fieldable, they've been one of the strongest armies this edition, handily tabling a lot of armies without new codexes yet. A large part of this comes from their really powerful character (Celestine, who you can only permanently kill through a very intricate series of events and has two bodyguards you need to kill first who she can resurrect each turn) and having the Repressor (one of the few vehicles with firing ports in this edition, has 6 of them), and their unique rules that let them resurrect each other, move farther, or hit harder (one at a time per turn, though).

Their only issue is that you end up needing to buy a lot of third party miniatures if you're not into the idea of paying 40 euros for very dated sculpts. Luckily Shieldwolf Miniatures is running a preorder; 25 euros for 20 plastic sister troops, pretty nice.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
oh yeah, thread what do you think of this: a tzeentch Chaos Marine army named Emperor's Angles

whiteshark12
Oct 21, 2010

How that gun even works underwater I don't know, but I bet the answer is magic.

MasterSlowPoke posted:

I'm in love with the scarab on his shoulder :swoon:

Two Beans
Nov 27, 2003

dabbin' on em
Pillbug

Neurolimal posted:

oh yeah, thread what do you think of this: a tzeentch Chaos Marine army named Emperor's Angles

I think it is acute idea!

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

Safety Factor posted:

Yes, hello, and welcome to the latest iteration of the 40k thread where models don't matter and math and lists rule the land.

Sorry people are discussing the rules for a game in the thread about that game

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat
God forbid people take pleasure in discussing the game itself when the games at its least-lovely for a long rear end time.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Two Beans posted:

I think it is acute idea!

aaaaaaaaaaaaaAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

Safety Factor posted:

I dont think anyone disagrees that it looks cool, and there's a thread for showing off finished models, if you want to talk about fluffy stuff nobody will stop you and plenty of people will join in.

Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

Groetgaffel smacked the living shit out of himself doing 297 points of damage.
It's also still mostly wild speculation, since without knowing how much the baby knight costs, it's pretty difficult to say how cost effective it's going to be.

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009

Artum posted:

E: make that £50 for a squad christ.

battlescribe says generic sisters are 9ppm. pretty sure the range being 90% metal and only available on the gw webstore or ebay puts it in the running for most expensive army to field

the living saint crusade bundle is 500 bucks for a ~1000 point force, or 50 cents per point

contrast that with the fury of terra bundle with the new golden boys; 689 bucks for ~3500 points, or 20 cents per point

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Safety Factor posted:

Hi. I'm a slow painter. I spend days painting these stupid things. Those Hellblasters I painted? 27 hours total. I don't know why I'm a slow painter, but I am. So while it's important that units look cool, there's a lot of stuff in 40K that looks really cool. So for me it's important that, when I consider what to buy and paint, that I want them to be things that I'm really excited about fielding. I want to make sure that I'm excited about the model while I paint it because it's a challenge for me to maintain motivation. Stuff like the NOVA tournament is helpful as well, but in the end I care a lot about having an army that has a good chance of winning.

I don't think anyone here (least of all me) would judge someone for getting a model because it looks cool. Hell I'm insanely jealous of Booley and his Astraeus. For me it's mostly a question of just making sure that whatever I get is awesome enough that I'll be excited to actually play it.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Safety Factor posted:

This coming from a toxic 30k player?

Hustlin Floh
Jul 20, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

MasterSlowPoke posted:

This coming from a toxic 30k player?

Once you play a game with a perfected rule set you begin to appreciate the other aspects of the hobby more. Like building an all-destroyer army.

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.

Hustlin Floh posted:

Once you play a game with a perfected rule set you begin to appreciate the other aspects of the hobby more.
Once you play a game with a perfected rule set, you look back at all the time you spent playing 40K and lament all those years you lost playing a crap game. :downsrim:

Giant Isopod
Jan 30, 2010

Bathynomus giganteus
Yams Fan
Speaking of sisters, here's the list I've been using for the past couple games:

Battlescribe posted:

++ Battalion Detachment +3CP (Imperium - Adeptus Ministorum) [85 PL, 1360pts] ++

+ Dedicated Transport +

Immolator [5 PL, 103pts]: Immolation Flamer

Immolator [5 PL, 122pts]: Twin Multi-Melta

Sororitas Repressor [5 PL, 110pts]: Heavy flamer, Storm bolter

Sororitas Rhino [4 PL, 77pts]: 2x Storm bolter

+ Heavy Support +

Exorcist [8 PL, 141pts]: Hunter-killer missile

Retributor Squad [10 PL, 92pts]
. 5x Retributor
. Retributor Superior: Bolt pistol, Boltgun, Chainsword
. Retributor w/ Heavy Weapon: Heavy bolter
. Retributor w/ Heavy Weapon: Heavy bolter

+ HQ +

Canoness [4 PL, 58pts]: 3. Tenacious Survivor, Blade of Admonition, Inferno pistol, Power sword, Warlord

Canoness [4 PL, 45pts]: Bolt pistol, Chainsword

Inquisitor Coteaz [4 PL, 100pts]

+ Elites +

Acolytes [5 PL, 40pts]: Ordo Malleus
. Acolyte: Bolt pistol, Chainsword

Hospitaller [2 PL, 30pts]

Imagifier [2 PL, 40pts]

+ Fast Attack +

Dominion Squad [10 PL, 80pts]
. 2x Dominion
. Dominion Superior: Bolt pistol, Chainsword, Storm bolter
. Dominion w/ Special Weapon: Storm bolter

Dominion Squad [10 PL, 147pts]
. Dominion
. Dominion Superior: Bolt pistol, Chainsword, Combi-melta
. Dominion w/ Special Weapon: Meltagun

+ Troops +

Battle Sister Squad [4 PL, 98pts]
. 2x Battle Sister
. Battle Sister w/ Special or Heavy Weapon: Meltagun
. Battle Sister w/ Special Weapon: Meltagun
. Sister Superior: Bolt pistol, Chainsword, Combi-melta

Battle Sister Squad [4 PL, 98pts]
. 2x Battle Sister
. Battle Sister w/ Special or Heavy Weapon: Meltagun
. Battle Sister w/ Special Weapon: Meltagun
. Sister Superior: Bolt pistol, Chainsword, Combi-melta

Battle Sister Squad [8 PL, 119pts]
. 7x Battle Sister
. Battle Sister w/ Special or Heavy Weapon: Multi-melta
. Battle Sister w/ Special Weapon: Storm bolter
. Sister Superior: Bolt pistol, Boltgun, Chainsword

++ Total: [94 PL, 1500pts] ++

(Actually batallion + vanguard but I can't be hosed to separate them in battlescribe)

The two squads of 5 go in the repressor for a 6 melta party bus.

I feel like I'm in striking distance of actually playing at 2k! Celestine + seraphim should get me most of the distance, just struggling with the remaining points.

This is very much based on what I have available rather than optimal, but where should I go from here? I'm guessing the hospitaller needs to go, as much as I love the model, statistically she's pretty meh. This is every meltagun I have, and the maximum number of squads based on sister superior models.

Considering a second exorcist.

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice

Ilor posted:

Once you play a game with a perfected rule set, you look back at all the time you spent playing 40K and lament all those years you lost playing a crap game. :downsrim:

Hustlin Floh posted:

Once you play a game with a perfected rule set you begin to appreciate the other aspects of the hobby more.
But enough about Epic: Armageddon... this is the 40k thread

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

Artum posted:

Less so for me since my redemptor tends to anchor my line a lot of the time.

It might change if/when the Wolves get stratagems, but at this point there's no reason to care what detachment my Dread's in.

Bombogenesis
Mar 27, 2010

Mekkatorque 2016
Dinosaur Gum
Dork Eldar players, should I grab Mandrakes or Incubi for a deep striking melee blob? Custodes have me wanting to try it with other armies. Or Hellions I guess, since I actually have those.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

Xenomrph posted:

Yeah, I played against an army of them last weekend. They stomped me pretty well.

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

I don't think anyone here (least of all me) would judge someone for getting a model because it looks cool. Hell I'm insanely jealous of Booley and his Astraeus. For me it's mostly a question of just making sure that whatever I get is awesome enough that I'll be excited to actually play it.

This is the worst example in the world to use. Booley posted a list with his newly painted awesome knight and got told it wasn't optimal lmao

Beep boop why are you taking the knight it is non-optimal. it is painted? we are very proud but back to ur list boop beep

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

TTerrible posted:

This is the worst example in the world to use. Booley posted a list with his newly painted awesome knight and got told it wasn't optimal lmao

Beep boop why are you taking the knight it is non-optimal. it is painted? we are very proud but back to ur list boop beep

Chill dude. It got plenty of kudos, they were just trying to help him since presumably thats a part of him sharing his list.

I mean people share marine lists pretty often and marines themselves aren't amazing right now, but people still help them get their marine list tight. It's just Game Advice.

Hamshot
Feb 1, 2006
Fun Shoe

Neurolimal posted:

Chill dude. It got plenty of kudos, they were just trying to help him since presumably thats a part of him sharing his list.

I mean people share marine lists pretty often and marines themselves aren't amazing right now, but people still help them get their marine list tight. It's just Game Advice.

I'm sure someone posting a list with their newly painted knight feel delight when the advice they get back is "drop the knight".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte

TTerrible posted:

Fedora servitor