Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

T-Square posted:

Noted. I suppose I can wire up an oil pressure gauge and just keep an eye on it and see what it does. To be clear, your putting a total of 5 quarts in?

Oil pressure gauge would be a good idea. I'll go back and look at some of our video and see if there's any problem areas. Yup 5 quarts, it burns off ~3/4 quart during a 8-10 hour race but it's a 200k+ junkyard motor so we don't worry about it.

I messaged a couple Spec E30 guys and they said most people run a baffle and crank scraper.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

T-Square
May 14, 2009

That's what I've found as well, but it seems that the crank scraper is more for keeping weight (oil) off of the rotating assembly for that extra 1/2 of a horsepower. The IJ one does have trap doors to keep the oil down in the pan though. I'll overfill it when/if I get out there and see if I can get away with it. My motor has almost 250k on it anyway, so it's not a huge loss if I lunch it. My understanding is high speed sweeping left handers are the issue, and thankfully the track I'd be running at (Milwaukee Mile) runs clockwise on the oval, and the infield section is pretty mild.

Pierced Bronson
Dec 26, 2011

shooting laser guns
and eating pussy
[ragequit]

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Brock Landers
Jul 28, 2004

You're a donkey. I like that.

528i ?

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
http://www.ebay.com/itm/141711546531?forcerRptr=true&item=141711546531&frommaketrack=true&viewitem=

May be my next target if I can talk the guy down because of the broken A/C and the salvage title.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

I've been trying to find the best RWD, V8, <120k odo, mid-sized sedan with great handling for under $9k and, naturally, the E39 540i became the #1 candidate. Given that this thread is huge can anyone point me to some goon-collected resources for what I might expect with this car? I've been to bimmerforums and... well... they seem to be not as informed as this place. Checked the OP but doesn't seem to contain anything E39 540i specific.

So far I've heard the two same issues that are universal to every one of these: cooling system needs to be replaced. cupholders (lol) always break even after replacement.

Apologies in advance if this is well-trod territory. There's a lot of BMW thread to read.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002
Cooling system will likely need replacing and also every bushing, spring, shock, and joint in the suspension will probably be shot.

Also a good idea to check the oil pan for bits of timing chain tensioner, as those need to be replaced before the engine lunches.

As always with a used BMW, stacks and stacks of maintenance receipts and logs are worth their weight in cash. Do not buy a used BMW without a service history, or be prepared to spend a lot catching up on deferred maintenance.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
Finally got the cam position sensor replace on the M3. Car runs so much better, I'm happy to have it back at full capacity. Last major issue is to replace the fan clutch and aux fan.

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys
As for cupholders, I got a pair of these for my E39: http://www.ultimatecupholders.com

I tried several other options back in my E30 days but these are great and actually work.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

:chloe:

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

Well just think of it this way; you only have two more regulators that could fail now. :v:

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

MrChips posted:

Well just think of it this way; you only have two more regulators that could fail now. :v:

Oh, it's the same one that's failed three times now.

Brock Landers
Jul 28, 2004

You're a donkey. I like that.

BlackMK4 posted:

Oh, it's the same one that's failed three times now.

Something is out of alignment and/or there is additional friction in the system.

Or it's just a lovely design.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Everything is lined up properly, I cleaned out the tracks, and I put a little bit of vaseline on the rub strip where the glass seals at the top of the door to reduce stiction. So basically, the URO premium regulators suck.

Black88GTA
Oct 8, 2009

BlackMK4 posted:

So basically, the URO premium regulators suck.

Found the problem. Friends don't let friends buy Uro parts. These are universally poo poo.

Full disclosure - I do actually have one on my car. The metal replacement for the M60 plastic thermostat housing. In my defense, I didn't know it was Uro brand until I received it.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

BlackMK4 posted:

So basically, the URO premium regulators suck.

Well there's your problem. Unless you're RMAing these things you'd have been better off buying a genuine regulator and be done with.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Whatever came in the car was broken, I replaced it with a URO premium - lasted 1mo, RMA'd that - lasted 1.5 week.

I cut the cables to get the window to roll up all the way, I wonder if I can RMA it to AutohausAz like that. :v: I'll give them a call tomorrow and explain that I want to return the broken one and buy an OEM regulator from them. Maybe they'll allow it.

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 03:59 on Jul 8, 2015

mafoose
Oct 30, 2006

volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and vulvas and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dongs and volvos and dons and volvos and dogs and volvos and cats and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs

BlackMK4 posted:

Whatever came in the car was broken, I replaced it with a URO premium - lasted 1mo, RMA'd that - lasted 1.5 week.

I cut the cables to get the window to roll up all the way, I wonder if I can RMA it to AutohausAz like that. :v: I'll give them a call tomorrow and explain that I want to return the broken one and buy an OEM regulator from them. Maybe they'll allow it.

They should.
I asked them about it but ended up selling my car. I went through 3 uro premiums before I said gently caress it and left the window up.

I don't know what's wrong with them but they're weak weak weak! I know my e39 one had an undeburred hole where the spool is, but even after I deburred it on the second regulator it still failed!

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

HotCanadianChick posted:

Cooling system will likely need replacing and also every bushing, spring, shock, and joint in the suspension will probably be shot.

Also a good idea to check the oil pan for bits of timing chain tensioner, as those need to be replaced before the engine lunches.

As always with a used BMW, stacks and stacks of maintenance receipts and logs are worth their weight in cash. Do not buy a used BMW without a service history, or be prepared to spend a lot catching up on deferred maintenance.

the milk machine posted:

As for cupholders, I got a pair of these for my E39: http://www.ultimatecupholders.com

I tried several other options back in my E30 days but these are great and actually work.

thank you both! anyone have ballpark figures on parts+labor for the cooling system and tensioner fixes?

Pretty Boy Floyd
Mar 21, 2006
If you'll gather round me children...
E39 wagon:

I've got some steering wheel vibration and wafflung noise going on at around 60-80 mph, and I'm wondering how I can diagnose it without bankrupting myself.

I have fairly new tires on the car (conti extremecontact dws) and they were balanced less than 1000 miles ago.

My brakes are old and could be the culprit. I get steering wheel vibration when I brake hard at high speeds, but I'm not sure if they are also responsible for the general vibration described above.

I also have fairly fresh Meyle HD thrust arm bushings and also new swaybar endlinks, but everything else is original, I believe. Engine mounts and tranny mounts are also fairly new.

Could it be something like my lower control arms? What about my rotors and uneven deposits? Could it be something else in the suspension? I know the wheels and tires are also possibly guilty, so I'll rotate rear to front today and see if it gives me any indications.

concise
Aug 31, 2004

Ain't much to do
'round here.

fyodor posted:

thank you both! anyone have ballpark figures on parts+labor for the cooling system and tensioner fixes?

You should probably do your own work or at the very least expect your cheap E39 to cost as much as a CPO E90 by the time you're done.

Tech Articles
Pelican Parts - E39 Cooling System
Pelican Parts - E39 Timing Chain Guides Removal

Parts
Bav Auto - Cooling System Kit (~$500) - NOTE: This isn't a recommendation, only a reference.

Its not always easy to work on BMWs, but the amount of detailed information out there to guide you on even the most basic tasks is impressive. Most jobs are generally not any more difficult than any other car, but being diligent and practicing preventative maintenance is orders of magnitude more important.

Good luck!

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
http://wichita.craigslist.org/cto/5111960650.html

Looking at this after work, gonna buy it if it's not rusted out and everything in the ad matches up.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

concise posted:

You should probably do your own work or at the very least expect your cheap E39 to cost as much as a CPO E90 by the time you're done.

Yep. Older BMWs can be great cars, but you're going to be unhappy unless you learn to do the work yourself or you're willing to dump a lot of money into a pretty old vehicle. I barely had to put $1500 into my E39 540 over like 8ish years of ownership, but that cost would have probably quadrupled if I hadn't been doing the work myself.

Also, service records are an absolute must unless you're buying a dirt cheap example and don't care whether or not it's reliable. A 13+ year old 540i without a huge stack of maintenance records is a car that hasn't been well maintained and will probably turn into a money pit.

And your cupholders will totally break. And then break again. My record was two separate cupholders being broken by two different friends on the same night.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

Paradoxish posted:

And your cupholders will totally break. And then break again. My record was two separate cupholders being broken by two different friends on the same night.

The correct response to this is to realize that Germans don't like cupholders and don't want you to have them and that you should just remove them entirely. Euro BMWs do not have cupholders, their presence in NA models is a hastily slapped on afterthought.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009

rscott posted:

http://wichita.craigslist.org/cto/5111960650.html

Looking at this after work, gonna buy it if it's not rusted out and everything in the ad matches up.
Yep definitely buying it. Owned by an older dude probably a professor at Wichita State or something and then before that it was owned by a BMW mechanic who put a bunch of nice stuff on it. Dude is selling it so he can focus on his 2002 and buy his wife an x5. It has E 39 wheels, it's nicely lowered, Los Vegas car so no rust to speak of, a conforti chip and tons of service records going back 15+ years. The 143k mileage appears to be accurate, the only thing wrong with the dash is the tach is broken. One small paint chip on the passenger front fender and a couple of rock chips in the windshield. Fan clutch might need replacing since he mentioned it gets a little warm sitting at long lights on a hot day with the AC on (which blows ice cold). Steering is heavy but straight and the brake pedal is nice and stiff. Almost like driving my e30 again, except everything is clean and nice and works correctly and it's a ton faster. Didn't even bother to negotiate with the guy, it's worth the 5k and he seems like a nice dude.

rscott fucked around with this message at 00:15 on Jul 9, 2015

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

The ad is down, I hope your deal is done.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
Yeah, it looks like he took it down right after I left, I'm meeting him tomorrow at the bank to wire the money over.

Some pictures. I forgot to take more than this lol

rscott fucked around with this message at 00:32 on Jul 9, 2015

T-Square
May 14, 2009

rscott posted:

Yeah, it looks like he took it down right after I left, I'm meeting him tomorrow at the bank to wire the money over.

I've never really paid attention to E28's but that exhaust is :krad:

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~
Those seats are awesome.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
They're the stock comfort seats with some sheepskin covers on them, the seats underneath are a bit worn, but they aren't torn or anything.

mafoose
Oct 30, 2006

volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and vulvas and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dongs and volvos and dons and volvos and dogs and volvos and cats and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs
Nice find!

Is it a genuine "is"? It's got the trunk and wing but the front airdam is missing. If it's a real is I believe they're factory lowered.

Super jealous of your dash! Holy poo poo!

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
The owner has the lip, he just removed it because it's lowered and he didn't want to damage it. Comes with the car.

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys
That BMW shark nose is just the best. Nice find.

HandlingByJebus
Jun 21, 2009

All of a sudden, I found myself in love with the world, so there was only one thing I could do:
was ding a ding dang, my dang a long racecar.

It's a love affair. Mainly jebus, and my racecar.

Well done. That's a beautiful car!

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
Do a burnout!

All joking aside, looks like a nice car. A friend of mine got a really clean one last fall and I still need to drive it.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

Since the weather's been so nice I've been riding my motorcycle almost exclusively the past several weeks, but tonight I drove my E46 further than to just the grocery store. Feels good man, forgot how much I love this car.

That's all I really had to say, but here let vintage Richard Hammond remind you why the E46 is so great.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PMHcpAlmgBw

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug
2007 E91 320D, my diesel particulate filter is counting down to replacement in 4000 miles, car has approx. 120k on it.

Is it better to replace it for lots of $$$, or do a remove and remap for some slightly less money? Will the automatic transmission be able to handle the extra horsepower and torque if I remap?

The car got a new turbo last summer, and I don't want to mess up the warranty on that repair by doing modzzzzzz.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

rscott posted:

What's the little dial by shifter and do you plan to do a 5-speed swap? Looks like a very nice find. Welcome to the E28 crew, E28 is the best 5.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009

NitroSpazzz posted:

What's the little dial by shifter and do you plan to do a 5-speed swap? Looks like a very nice find. Welcome to the E28 crew, E28 is the best 5.

The 4hp22 eh has a selector mode that changes between normal, sport and manumatic mode which locks out OD and lets you shift without depressing the lockout button

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

rscott posted:

The 4hp22 eh has a selector mode that changes between normal, sport and manumatic mode which locks out OD and lets you shift without depressing the lockout button

Oh poo poo that's pretty cool. The 524td has the non-fun automatic so it's just a slow cruiser that shifts when it feels like it. Need to buy that fucker off my brother and get it running again, I miss leaving black clouds of diesel smoke at will.