Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
Awfully nice of him to acknowledge the level of intelligence for anyone outraged at another person for reading a book by explaining what "post-" means.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

King Metal
Jun 15, 2001

Beamed posted:

So I think I know the answer to this, but is this seriously a thing? Tl;dr is that Fox News guy claims 4 terrorists were arrested at the border, and presumably we're all about to die.

No idea where they got border from. Supposedly the guy was detained in Houston. Of course the only mentions I can find of it are on right wings sites (there was a big thread about it on stormfront)
They all turn up only this photo

I found a reddit thread somebody claimed to have seen the guy at his mosque before and they tried to have him arrested for trespassing.

Somehow it wouldn't surprise me it's FBI trying to catch "terrorists"

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc
That's definitely an HPD uniform, but that guy practically looks like a dumbass pretending to be a terrorist. Are we sure they didn't arrest James O'Keefe?

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
Probably should've taken the terrorist uniform off before trying to cross.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

Intel&Sebastian posted:

Probably should've taken the terrorist uniform off before trying to cross.

Adidas is a well-known terror rug manufacturer, I understand.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

Goons are crappy advocates for nuclear power, they tend to condescendingly belittle concerns people have about it rather than properly explain why it isn't actually a problem.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc

ReidRansom posted:

Between that and Russian mobster tracksuits they are just awash in dirty money

Moktaro
Aug 3, 2007
I value call my nuts.

Radio Nowhere posted:

Tonight at a bar I saw a new graphic on Fox News on how the poor aren't really poor in this country, no mention of refrigerators but something like 80%+ have microwaves! I think it was a piece on O'Reilly but I really was trying to have a good time with friends. gently caress you Fox for distracting me.

Property managers figured out a long time ago that it was more efficient to just own the basic appliances themselves and amortize the costs through rents. It's a hell of a lot better than having everyone lug fridges around with each move as well.

Remind me again why the GOP is the party of smartypants business? :eng99:

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

hamster_style posted:

Haven't seen this posted yet, but apparently the Right has a new "race guru" Link

Emphasis mine, and holy poo poo. But t's ok guys, it's a black guy saying it so it's not racist.

ninja edit: this new font is killing my eyes

Reading all of that, and without checking on the dude's history: I get the strong impression that he was born three quarters of the way up the ladder and when he made it up to the ledge he kicked it away and now asks why everyone on the ground aren't up there already.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Bizarro Kanyon posted:

The only thing I ever saw was a meme talking about Obunger reading "The Post-American World"

Oh man thank god that image explained what post meant or else I'd think Obama was reading up on the American postal system.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

nuclear power didn't fail because of greens, it failed because nuclear plants are expensive and take too long to build.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

StandardVC10 posted:

Goons are crappy advocates for nuclear power, they tend to condescendingly belittle concerns people have about it rather than properly explain why it isn't actually a problem.

His argument amounted to "I don't think nuclear is necessary. Why aren't you respecting my concerns?"

TheDeadlyShoe posted:

nuclear power didn't fail because of greens, it failed because nuclear plants are expensive and take too long to build.

So are other renewables, that's gotten around with them by large tovernment subsidies. Why weren't subsidies used for nuclear? Hmmmmm

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Opposition to nuclear has always struck me as being very much of the "lots of people are very vocally against it so there must be something to their concerns, right?????????" kind

SatansOnion
Dec 12, 2011

quote:

RUSH: Now, may I remind you, was it last year or the year before when I, who am totally tuned in to this, very conscious and very aware, I was able, my instincts alone, to sense -- it started with this concussion business -- that there were forces out there that were out for this game, that had targeted this game in a political sense. This is what's the toughest thing to make people believe. Because football, sports, is for everybody, an escape from politics. But this is a pure political agenda now that's gotten itself intertwined with the NFL. Make no mistake about it.

:allears: Goodness, Rush is really enjoying himself talking about how football is all stinky and dumb now, isn't he? Tell us more about how that cushy commentator gig you couldn't keep because you coughed up a hot steaming chunk of racism straight from your putrid dumpster-fire soul and out your gaping pie-chute those grapes you couldn't reach really are liberal sour.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
So do something about it. Hippies are not the major driver of bad PR for nuclear.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

I have to wonder how much it has to do with the oil and gas industries. Granted, without any evidence to back my wondering up besides the way they tend to be such slimeballs.

Intel&Sebastian posted:

So do something about it. Hippies are not the major driver of bad PR for nuclear.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

There's always NIMBYism, I guess, but I don't think there's many more people who'd want a huge coal plant in their backyard, than would want a nuclear plant. Hell, people get up in arms about solar panels and windmills and both of those are pretty good neighbors compared to most other types of power plant.

Irradiation
Sep 14, 2005

I understand your frustration.

Intel&Sebastian posted:

They certainly aren't helping.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

icantfindaname posted:

His argument amounted to "I don't think nuclear is necessary. Why aren't you respecting my concerns?"
I have to ask: are you referring to me?
Because my arguments have never once amounted to, "I don't think nuclear is necessary."

If your premise is that I have said this, would you please quote it so I can examine what I said and clarify?

I already know why certain people are not respecting my concerns (regarding energy storage, not nuclear power). As far as I have noticed, it has nothing to do with avocation for or against nuclear-powered electricity generation.

I'll say it AGAIN: I prefer nuclear to coal and natural gas.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
I just find it a little coincidental that the one area where Hippies have finally trumped big money and the energy industry also happens to be the one with a couple of pretty epic disasters on it's record too.

It'd be like if we passed gun control after Sandy Hook and the NRA told everyone it was exclusively Obama's fault. The incidents people remember are real, weren't caused by tie dyed grandmas, and they're what's doing it.

TL;DR - Imagine the situation minus hippies. Now you just have an energy industry on the verge of Texas$ saying "Nah, THIS time we are all good". Not exactly a walk in the park.

Intel&Sebastian fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Sep 18, 2014

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

Intel&Sebastian posted:

I just find it a little coincidental that the one area where Hippies have finally trumped big money and the energy industry also happens to be the one with a couple of pretty epic disasters on it's record too..

Are you referring to the 2010 Deep Water Horizon oil spill, or some or all of these or some other fossil fuel catasrophes, or are you talking about nuclear power plant problems, or something else. I can't tell.

The "hippy" label is throwing me off, because I'm only 42 and my family is extremely conservative and they love fossil fuels. Someone in my family is a high level executive in a huge power company.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
Maybe you guys could take this to the energy generation thread.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3505076

Also never ever listen to a man that uses the word "boondoggle."

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc

Dr. Faustus posted:

Are you referring to the 2010 Deep Water Horizon oil spill, or some or all of these or some other fossil fuel catasrophes, or are you talking about nuclear power plant problems, or something else. I can't tell.

The "hippy" label is throwing me off, because I'm only 42 and my family is extremely conservative and they love fossil fuels. Someone in my family is a high level executive in a huge power company.

Nuclear. Regardless of the validity or unfairness of how they're singled out the problem remains the same. My point is it's a lame canard to think we'd be living in a nuclear paradise if only X people would stop poo poo talking it. Fossil gets away with their own disasters because we've built a society around it. Nuclear doesn't have that, but it does have some splashy and exciting disasters associated directly with it. Like I said, unfair? Maybe. But the bulk of the blame is on the industry itself, not the Sierra Club or whatever.

Intel&Sebastian fucked around with this message at 23:10 on Sep 18, 2014

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
I've been trying not to feed this derail but I have one thing to add: nuclear requires greater state involvement than fossil fuels because of the R&D and weaponization aspect. This limits innovation. Then you have the existing energy/mining/drilling industry partnering up with luddites and NIMBYs (covertly, for the most part) to undermine adoption and development.

beatlegs
Mar 11, 2001

Bizarro Kanyon posted:

The only thing I ever saw was a meme talking about Obunger reading "The Post-American World"

O....

M....

G!!!!!!!!!

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
That radical America-hating Islamist, Fareed Zakaria.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

quote:

So are other renewables, that's gotten around with them by large tovernment subsidies. Why weren't subsidies used for nuclear? Hmmmmm
Nuclear IS subsidized heavily. You can't say we haven't given nuclear a fair shake. In recent terms, during the Bush Administration the government offered huge no-risk loan guarantees and banks were still very leery of nuclear projects.

it pretty much comes down to the long timeframe, you have to sink a huge amount of money to build a nuclear plant and it takes a LONG TIME to build one. The money spends so long doing nothing that its noncompetitive with other investment opportunities.

Additionally, nuclear plants have a very bad habit of construction cost overruns and long delays. OTOH you can just throw up a wind tower and they're figuring out how to roboticize installation of solar mirrors. *shrug*

in order to pretend i'm posting on topic: foxnews radioactive boars!

quote:

Radioactive wild boars are reportedly roaming the forests of Germany, some giving off such high levels of radiation that they’re unfit for human consumption nearly three decades after the Chernobyl nuclear disaster in Ukraine.

The Telegraph reports that recent tests by the state government of Saxony found that more than one in three boars exceeded safe radiation levels. The animals, native to northern and central Europe, still roam Germany’s wooded lands, where they’re hunted and sold as a delicacy.

The radioactive ancestors of the domestic pig are thought to be an unintended consequence of the Chernobyl nuclear accident in 1986, when a nuclear power plant reactor exploded, releasing a massive amount of radioactive particles into the atmosphere. Saxony is some 700 miles from Chernobyl; the radioactivity was carried by wind, rain and other factors.

Wild boar, in particular, are believed to be acutely affected because they root in soil for food, often eating mushrooms and truffles, both of which grow underground and store radiation.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

TheDeadlyShoe posted:

Nuclear IS subsidized heavily. You can't say we haven't given nuclear a fair shake. In recent terms, during the Bush Administration the government offered huge no-risk loan guarantees and banks were still very leery of nuclear projects.

it pretty much comes down to the long timeframe, you have to sink a huge amount of money to build a nuclear plant and it takes a LONG TIME to build one.

To be fair to nuclear though, modern-day bank executives are not interested in investments with a payoff any longer than their expected tenure because bonuses and stock options pay out based on next quarter's numbers. If you offer a banker an investment that pays out 2 dollars a month but is virtually guaranteed to lose a trillion dollars five years from now he will take it and give you a blowjob to thank you as long as he can find a way to fudge the books enough to keep the expected losses from showing up in the financial statements.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

ReidRansom posted:

All Day I Dream About Shag

GROVER CURES HOUSE
Aug 26, 2007

Go on...

TheDeadlyShoe posted:

Additionally, nuclear plants have a very bad habit of construction cost overruns and long delays.

This is because smart people come up with excellent designs and then Bush hands a pile of cash to a known shyster. Also never look at cost overruns on early conventional plants.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Hodgepodge posted:

We were on the Gold Standard in the 1930s too.

Well for that one they'll say it doesn't count cause the fed was already established by that point. Same reason why wall street can't be held responsible for the 2008 crash.

Btw, speaking of libertarians, has this story been posted already?

quote:

Welcome to Galt’s Gulch Chile, a libertarian refuge from the coming economic, social, and political collapse of the United States. The would-be free-market utopia, named after the mountain redoubt of the protagonist of Ayn Rand’s Atlas Shrugged, is taking advance payments (Bitcoins gladly accepted) for parcels on its 11,000 acres.

Joining Johnson, the project’s managing partner, are three prospective buyers: a retiree from Oregon, a California-based expert in moving assets offshore, and another retiree who doesn’t want to give much in the way of personal data. “Oh, the NSA’s here too?” he says the first time he sees my audio recorder. The men talk of a coming financial meltdown caused by the Federal Reserve, followed by a Homeland Security police state. They’re ready to get out with their silver, guns, and organic honey—but not quite ready to sacrifice fast internet, access to an international airport, and a time zone convenient for Skyping with the doomed sheeple back home. Throw in low taxes, privatized social security, and a Mediterranean climate, and you have Chile.

http://www.addictinginfo.org/2014/09/15/libertarian-utopia-styled-after-ayn-rand-book-spectacularly-falls-apart-almost-immediately/

I'm sure you could guess how that experiment turned out.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Moktaro posted:

Property managers figured out a long time ago that it was more efficient to just own the basic appliances themselves and amortize the costs through rents. It's a hell of a lot better than having everyone lug fridges around with each move as well.

Remind me again why the GOP is the party of smartypants business? :eng99:

Because if you removed the refrigerators and kept the rent the same you could make more money. Aside from that if you cut out programs that cost taxes then you can reduce the tax burden on the people that actually pay taxes meaning, of course, the non-poor, who deserve some extra compensation for their generous support of the poor in the form of jobs and wages. Really, the poor should subsist entirely on room-temperature, flavorless nutrient gruel from cans and loving like it.

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Les Ricains tuent et moi je mue
Mao Mao
Les fous sont rois et moi je bois
Mao Mao
Les bombes tonnent et moi je sonne
Mao Mao
Les bebes fuient et moi je fuis
Mao Mao

Nutrient paste? Only after sterilizations.

God bless the unborn.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich
So this crossed my facebook

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9MxqSwzFy5w

As far as I can tell, the AEI is just scraping reddit for anti-sarkeesian arguments and repeating them back in order to attract subscribers. She's on the same scripts as dozens of angry balding nerds were months ago.

Ninjasaurus
Feb 11, 2014

This is indeed a disturbing universe.
I have never met a libertarian who wasn't an rear end in a top hat. I hope to perhaps one day but does such a rare creature exist?

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx
I've known a few who were alright provided you didn't talk politics too much. But that applies to a lot of people.

Ninjasaurus
Feb 11, 2014

This is indeed a disturbing universe.

comes along bort posted:

I've known a few who were alright provided you didn't talk politics too much. But that applies to a lot of people.

Interestingly, most of the libertarians I've met - online and off - don't reveal their political ideology until much later, giving me time to see all the ways they're an rear end in a top hat aside from being libertarian.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

I met a libertarian once while I was watching jets land at Nellis Air Force Base. He was polite, I guess, and British, which was weird. There were a couple of layers of irony in his talking about the huge national debt as most airplanes in the USAF inventory including a goddamn B-2 flew over. We brought up the exact same example scenario about banks lending money with a gold standard (issuing more money than there was gold) but I tried to use that as a point against the gold standard, while he seemed to think it was a problem with either the banks or damned dirty fiat money, I'm not sure.

Like I said, it was weird.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Ninjasaurus posted:

I have never met a libertarian who wasn't an rear end in a top hat. I hope to perhaps one day but does such a rare creature exist?

Depends on where you look but my experience has been that older libertarians are generally chill dudes that genuinely care about the freedom of others. I'm talking guys 50+ years old that are old school libertarians. Younger libertarians subscribe to the newer, Republican, gently caress you got mine version. The older ones like ideas like free money for food or education for those that can't afford those things and follow the philosophy of "the government should be as small as possible." These are the guys that think the government should absolutely step in and solve problems whenever necessary and be more of a watcher than anything. Places where poo poo's working just fine should have the government's hands off but soon as something breaks the government steps in and fixes everything because, you know, poo poo happens. That's what silly things like disaster relief funds are for.

These are the guys that understand why having things like for-profit fire departments are a loving awful idea.

This demographic is also not only shrinking thanks to the fact that they're old and dying but also because libertarianism got hijacked by the right. I'm still a registered libertarian and believe the same things that the old dudes I learned it from talked about but have generally abandoned the party simply because, like has been pointed out, it's now full of sociopaths and assholes. I find the current idea of "literally everything must be profitable or it is wrong" to be batshit insane. There are some things you don't throw money at to get more money back. You don't drop a big bag of money in a library to get a bigger bag of money back you drop off the big bag of money and say "hey thanks for the library, keep it up!" and leave knowing that the library has all sorts of benefits.

The current version of libertarianism is "the government should be smaller than it is right now." One of the ironies of current libertarian philosophy is that it is actually detrimental to freedom. Meritocracy vanishes when a brilliant but poor child can't get a proper education because his parents can't afford it or because he starts working at 7 so he doesn't starve.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc
None of that sounds like libertarianism.

But I guess the term is so diluted now that anything not-liberal can be referred to as libertarian.

Sir Tonk fucked around with this message at 05:04 on Sep 19, 2014