Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
coffeetable
Feb 5, 2006

TELL ME AGAIN HOW GREAT BRITAIN WOULD BE IF IT WAS RULED BY THE MERCILESS JACKBOOT OF PRINCE CHARLES

YES I DO TALK TO PLANTS ACTUALLY

there's some mega selection bias going on w/ devs itt. the average YOSPOS dev ~skill level~ is a lot higher than the average devs, and good devs tend to know only other good devs

that's not praise mind you, im saying the average dev is poo poo

coffeetable fucked around with this message at 19:55 on Mar 3, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
yeah but if you live in a non-American country then you don't have to deal with the responsibilities that come with Freedom™

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008
yeah holy poo poo remind me to never work in the uk, you guys are all getting paid peanuts. that would be ok if cost of living was low but lol

oh no blimp issue
Feb 23, 2011

coffeetable posted:

there's some mega selection bias going on w/ devs itt. the average YOSPOS dev ~skill level~ is a lot higher than the average dev's

that's not praise mind you, im just saying the average dev is poo poo

meaningless without cost of living

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
right and low cost of living in the US makes that chart even more amazing.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

coffeetable posted:

there's some mega selection bias going on w/ devs itt. the average YOSPOS dev ~skill level~ is a lot higher than the average dev's

That bot makes me feel better about my current job, and like slighlty depressed about the future. OTOH I see adds for webdevs paying 22k constantly so they must pull it down

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Cost of living in Glasgow is pretty good

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

Shaggar posted:

yep. im pretty sure from everything ive heard that you could maybe rent a broom closet with the brooms still in it in london for what i pay for my mortgage
(for reference i live in a medium-sized city in the us)

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Awia posted:

the taxes they pay in her majesty's land are most assuredly higher than here, and the loltastic housing situation in sf aside, the col in any area of the united states at all is no where near as insane as London.

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Living in Glasgow is pretty bad

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord

coffeetable posted:

lol I'm not even close to 20000 (but I do live well)

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
also there are loads of places in the Midwest that pay shitloads of money in places where the cost of living is almost nothing. ex: Epic

And there are plenty of places like boston where the housing isn't as hosed as SF but the jobs and the money is good

coffeetable
Feb 5, 2006

TELL ME AGAIN HOW GREAT BRITAIN WOULD BE IF IT WAS RULED BY THE MERCILESS JACKBOOT OF PRINCE CHARLES

YES I DO TALK TO PLANTS ACTUALLY

Awia posted:

quick, tell me why you're unable to extract any information from that chart just because it doesn't present col alongside

gosh i hope you're not just parroting a criticism you've seen elsewhere

Jerry Bindle
May 16, 2003
our division cheiftan proposed this project-forming plan where fantasy football type rules are used. you get to build a project team based on pay. e.g. you could have 4x indian-salaried team members for the price of 1x american-salaried member. i anticipate this going very poorly lol

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Symbolic Butt posted:

lol I'm not even close to 20000 (but I do live well)

uhh....

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

Barnyard Protein posted:

our division cheiftan proposed this project-forming plan where fantasy football type rules are used. you get to build a project team based on pay. e.g. you could have 4x indian-salaried team members for the price of 1x american-salaried member. i anticipate this going very poorly lol

there is a website to help out in situations like this

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

even if my current pay is poo poo by yosposter standards my main desire is to get a more interesting job. this one was cool at first but there's only so many different numbers you can pull out of a DCF model before you stop learning

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord

oh just for context I'm in Brazil

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Barnyard Protein posted:

apparently the cool thing now is to outsource development to Eastern europe, they are competent and cheap!

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
imo y'all should just move to American and become americans.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Shaggar posted:

can I get a good curry there?!?

I'm actually seriosuly considering it though. there or France, Canada is too cold

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

lol 35k with a phd jesus

Hey, you could do a lot worse with a STEM PhD.

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

pointsofdata posted:

not indian, but they have some good thai

you'll also have president trump, though i'm not going to swear that'll be worse than pm boris

also

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

pls leave england immediately u r getting hosed.

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Save us RHEL

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

pointsofdata posted:

I'm actually seriosuly considering it though. there or France, Canada is too cold

you can get whatever you want here.

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

pointsofdata posted:

central jersey

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

pointsofdata posted:

not in SF proper, you have to go to the south bay

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...
terrible programming status: BLE is still kicking my rear end

my automated test setup isn't firing the "connect" callbacks, also isn't respecting the cmd line MTU argument, so I'm back to poking at my phone to do testing. i'd be thinking less of myself, but the mobile app contractors are far worse at every aspect and my plans to get away without learning BLE are failing miserably. im aware of 4 different OS's handling of BLE MTU settings

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

JawnV6 posted:

cool. and I here that the Mexican is just a little betterthab what we get here

computer toucher
Jan 8, 2012

Shaggar posted:

how about that student loan running in the hundreds of thousands a lot of people have on their backs?

oh no blimp issue
Feb 23, 2011

my student loan comes out of my wage pretax and i have no say in it whatsoever, is nice

oh no blimp issue
Feb 23, 2011

coffeetable posted:

quick, tell me why you're unable to extract any information from that chart just because it doesn't present col alongside

gosh i hope you're not just parroting a criticism you've seen elsewhere

ive never heard anyone say that before

all that chart tells me is that of programmers who use snack overflow the us ones get paid the most and indian the least, is that a perfectly fair wage in india? i dont know

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

computer toucher posted:

how about that student loan running in the hundreds of thousands a lot of people have on their backs?

only if ur a doctor or really stupid

FamDav
Mar 29, 2008

pointsofdata posted:

apparently the cool thing now is to outsource development to Eastern europe, they are competent and cheap!

I'm a huge fine of our Romania team that runs our distributed job scheduler, and in Dresden we have our group devoted to kernel and OS.

Also we have an ML group in Berlin headed up by this sex machine

Awia posted:

ive never heard anyone say that before

all that chart tells me is that of programmers who use snack overflow the us ones get paid the most and indian the least, is that a perfectly fair wage in india? i dont know

India is dragged down by the sheer amount of outsource-at-lowest-cost shops and even then they are really good compared to COL. the UK salary average is not great compared to COL.

JawnV6 posted:

in seattle the real indian food is in redmond

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

FamDav posted:

I'm a huge fine of our Romania team that runs our distributed job scheduler, and in Dresden we have our group devoted to kernel and OS.

Also we have an ML group in Berlin headed up by this sex machine

Looks like a Texan rancher who got a PhD

Jetbrains is mostly central and Eastern Europe, which is evidence enough for me

return0
Apr 11, 2007

Shaggar posted:

i got offered a job in the usa recently. it pays more than 300% of my uk wage. lol

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

coffeetable posted:

there's some mega selection bias going on w/ devs itt. the average YOSPOS dev ~skill level~ is a lot higher than the average devs, and good devs tend to know only other good devs

that's not praise mind you, im saying the average dev is poo poo

oh nice it's not as bad of an idea to work here in canada than I thought

better than germany at least, but then again it's germany so it kinda wins on that

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

MY CONTEMPT FOR MY OWN EMPLOYEES IS ONLY MATCHED BY MY LOVE FOR TOM BRADY'S SWEATY MAGA BALLS
on a slightly different topic i'm in the process of getting extremely owned by very complicated asynchronous javascript and it's got me cheesed something fierce

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

pointsofdata posted:

yes, we have a lot of good curry in the Bay Area and elsewhere, basically any mid-sized or larger city

there are even a couple places to get good curry in Pittsburgh, so even small Midwestern cities have it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...
ive been an android developer for less than an hour and my opinions have whiplash

• Locked thread