Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

skipdogg posted:

Don't be afraid to look for older furniture from garage sales and estate sales. They seriously don't make furniture like they used to. Well some places do, but it's crazy expensive.

My sister has gotten some amazing pieces from estate and garage sales in her area. Maybe they need to be refinished or touched up, but the savings can be amazing.

Pay someone to move you. I'm never moving myself again as long as I can afford it. It cost me just less than 1000 bucks for them to clear out my apartment, and a full 10x10 storage unit and move everything to my new house, and I would pay that money again every single time.

I love secondhand shopping but always forget how many great shops Portland has because I'm a homebody.

If anyone is in Portland, check out Natural Furniture on Stark (formally near Lloyd). They don't sell used but they do sell loads of unfinished stuff for a good price. I got a table and four chairs for 800 and they finished it and delivered in about a week.

Also, paying movers is just about the best feeling in the world. I moved a ton as a kid and we could never afford professionals. Being that I was the strongest and tallest in the family, I broke my back every couple of years.
Never again!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

H110Hawk posted:

You can ask them to just store it for a month. Make sure it's spelled out in your contract absolute total costs for pack in, pack out, and daily/weekly/monthly storage rate, and SLA on pack out timing - no more than X days from request to deliver your stuff.
We did this for a pod but the issue was we literally have no room to put a pod on our current street. I'm sure there are options for other movers/storage facilities, but I'm not sure you necessarily get a discount for paying for storage time, and even so that's at best:
code:
((moving_cost - slight_discount) * 2) + storage cost = final_cost
instead of
code:
moving_cost * 2 = final_cost
I'm pretty sure that since we have somewhere to dump our stuff, the second one will be cheaper since I don't think the moving discount will be high enough to eclipse the added storage costs.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

skipdogg posted:

They seriously don't make furniture like they used to. Well some places do, but it's crazy expensive.

It's often way cheaper to have older pieces refinished, but yeah.....it's available: https://karges.com/ I love my dining room table, but ouch.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
I don't think there's anything in our house I like as much as our Hancock and Moore leather couch. It will last forever and looks incredible. I've been fairly resistant to my wife buying furniture which has helped, I think. We're currently looking for a new master bedroom bed/dresser and open to suggestions though.

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

I'm selling my house, and I cleaned up the master bath, including installing a new toilet. I haven't touched it so I don't have to clean an additional bathroom while selling my house. The toilet is completely unused.

Some loving rear end in a top hat potential home-buyer took a poo poo in my master bath and left skid marks. I want to murder them.

Dik Hz fucked around with this message at 01:30 on Feb 5, 2020

Queen Victorian
Feb 21, 2018

^^^ wow what a piece of poo poo

Leather couches are the best. One of my favorite pieces of furniture is our monstrous red leather couch of unknown provenance - it’s a non-scroll-armed contemporary chesterfield that would fit right in on a David Lynch set and amazingly comfortable (why we’ve moved it twice). Next step is to get it restored and design the TV den around it. My other favorite piece is a (most likely) late Victorian sideboard, which was obtained on Craigslist for peanuts.

Getting old well-made stuff secondhand is the way to go. I grew up in a house full of furniture that had been the family for a hundred years or more so I’ve always had it my head that furniture is one of the few unchanging constants in life and that getting new piece of furniture is a very rare occasion. We’ve been extremely slow at getting new pieces and are getting by with our college hovel garbage for the time being.

But having spent time dicking around in the Houzz discussion boards, there’s a surprisingly prevalent mindset that as soon as you buy a house, you need to fill it with brand new matchy matchy furniture and a contrived collection of useless decorative items like vases full of dead sticks and wall words. My cousin and her husband just bought a house and are falling victim to this and my aunt has been trying to tell them to not worry about it and take their time finding/saving up for nice pieces.

DaveSauce
Feb 15, 2004

Oh, how awkward.
don't forget the bowl full of balls (both stick-based and other materials) that exists solely to take up space on a flat surface that would otherwise be empty

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

DaveSauce posted:

don't forget the bowl full of balls (both stick-based and other materials) that exists solely to take up space on a flat surface that would otherwise be empty

Ugh I have those on the dining room table right now.

I didn’t decorate the house though, and I’m married to a southern woman, so all the stereotypes are happening in my house

We even have the family name scrabble wall art

skipdogg fucked around with this message at 02:05 on Feb 5, 2020

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Folks, when decorating your house it is important to

Live

Laugh

Love

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

Inzombiac posted:

Folks, when decorating your house it is important to

Live

Laugh

Love

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

Leading us to the promised land (i.e., one tournament win in five years)

Residency Evil posted:

I don't think there's anything in our house I like as much as our Hancock and Moore leather couch. It will last forever and looks incredible. I've been fairly resistant to my wife buying furniture which has helped, I think. We're currently looking for a new master bedroom bed/dresser and open to suggestions though.
Also on team Hancock & Moore.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

What's up with builders not listing dimensions on their floor plans? Do they really think I won't pull out a tape measure before making the largest single purchase of my life?

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

LLSix posted:

What's up with builders not listing dimensions on their floor plans? Do they really think I won't pull out a tape measure before making the largest single purchase of my life?
Probably because most buyers are irrational and will think a 16'x18' bedroom is small because both numbers start with a 1.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

LLSix posted:

Do they really think I won't pull out a tape measure before making the largest single purchase of my life?

But enough about marriage!

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

gvibes posted:

Also on team Hancock & Moore.

Amazing if you can afford it. I spent about half of what a nice H&M sofa costs on a nice quality leather sectional. Should last a hell of a lot longer than my old haverty’s sofa

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

find someone local who makes furniture and you may find it's a little less expensive than the high quality name brand designer furniture.

Also seconding the buy on craigslist, especially for things that aren't couches (couches get the most wear and tear). For example, a few years ago I bought my brother a huge dining room table and six chairs; two of the chairs needed repairs, the table had some genuine antiquing (by which I mean long-term wear and tear, but not in an unattractive way), but it's good quality old stuff and I paid about $175, compared to easily $2500 to buy something similar new.

There's tons of furniture and most of it is standard department store crap or ikea, but I find like 20% or so of it is higher quality stuff and the prices are all over the place. Definitely have access to a truck though, craigslist sellers are not gonna deliver your poo poo to you.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

We got one of those Bosh battery powered laser measuring devices

A) it's about the size of my thumb
B) only needs one person to operate
C) one button operation
D) $20 shipped on Amazon

B is the real winner for me. I can accurately size the bedrooms and living room in seconds. We will see 4-5 open houses and coordinating with the wife to string a tape measure across the living room is a pain in the rear end. One button push means you can casually measure everything.

Plus you can actually measure the ceiling height in each room. No more wondering why one living room or bedroom feels more spacious than the other

Totally worth the $20

B-Nasty
May 25, 2005

LLSix posted:

Because then you can hold them to it when their inexperienced, half-drunk 'carpenters' place the wall by eye and your room is 2 feet narrower than it should be.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Hadlock posted:

We got one of those Bosh battery powered laser measuring devices

A) it's about the size of my thumb
B) only needs one person to operate
C) one button operation
D) $20 shipped on Amazon

B is the real winner for me. I can accurately size the bedrooms and living room in seconds. We will see 4-5 open houses and coordinating with the wife to string a tape measure across the living room is a pain in the rear end. One button push means you can casually measure everything.

Plus you can actually measure the ceiling height in each room. No more wondering why one living room or bedroom feels more spacious than the other

Totally worth the $20

Huh, we use those often at work but they’re more like the size of a cellphone and 10-15 times that price. I didn’t even know they made ones that cheap, but now I’m suspicious as to their accuracy/abilities.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Hauki posted:

Huh, we use those often at work but they’re more like the size of a cellphone and 10-15 times that price. I didn’t even know they made ones that cheap, but now I’m suspicious as to their accuracy/abilities.

You probably use Bosch. :v:

The little ones that are like the size of 6 AA batteries are accurate enough for measuring a room.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Mine is accurate within a quarter inch at 30' real world. I don't super care, as long as it's accurate within ~2" I know whether or not I can fit a king size bed + two night stands along one wall.

So what's the deal with lots next door to your house getting rezoned

We found a condo with near-top floor and a nice patio as part of the step/setback on that floor, you end up with a pretty nice city view that extends several blocks, on the 8th-ish floor

Across the street is a parking lot used for sporting event overflow, my guess is that they will buy out the chain bank on the corner and build a similar 6-15 story building on the otherwise vacant lot in the next 5-10 years, which would block the view and lower the value of the property

Does the developer of the new building have to cover the $ loss of value of the view or is the owner just screwed or what

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

Hadlock posted:

So what's the deal with lots next door to your house getting rezoned

We found a condo with near-top floor and a nice patio as part of the step/setback on that floor, you end up with a pretty nice city view that extends several blocks, on the 8th-ish floor

Across the street is a parking lot used for sporting event overflow, my guess is that they will buy out the chain bank on the corner and build a similar 6-15 story building on the otherwise vacant lot in the next 5-10 years, which would block the view and lower the value of the property

Does the developer of the new building have to cover the $ loss of value of the view or is the owner just screwed or what
The answer is dependent on your local laws. Your real estate attorney may be able to advise you on your local laws.

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

Dik Hz posted:

The answer is dependent on your local laws. Your real estate attorney may be able to advise you on your local laws.
I would be shocked if any local laws would prevent development in those circumstances, or compensate you for anything. Unless there is something written into your deed protecting views

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Hadlock posted:

Nope.

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

gvibes posted:

I would be shocked if any local laws would prevent development in those circumstances, or compensate you for anything. Unless there is something written into your deed protecting views
I'm thinking in certain situations like some ocean-front communities. IANAL, though. I also kinda default to referring law questions to lawyers, because every single time I've asked a legal question to a lawyer, the answer has always been "It depends...." I do feel confident in saying that there is no 100% blanket answer to the question.

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

Dik Hz posted:

I'm thinking in certain situations like some ocean-front communities. IANAL, though. I also kinda default to referring law questions to lawyers, because every single time I've asked a legal question to a lawyer, the answer has always been "It depends...." I do feel confident in saying that there is no 100% blanket answer to the question.

Usually the ocean-front communities just fight the permitting or development at every step to make it not happen (at decent expense to themselves.) Compensation for "damages" to your view isn't really a thing in the US.

Like. Spite houses are a real thing for a reason

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

El Mero Mero posted:

Usually the ocean-front communities just fight the permitting or development at every step to make it not happen (at decent expense to themselves.) Compensation for "damages" to your view isn't really a thing in the US.

Like. Spite houses are a real thing for a reason
Totally agree, these things are usually fought with procedural laws and not strict prohibitions. Agree that compensation is rare.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках
Compensation would require provable realized monetary damages.

crazypeltast52
May 5, 2010

Have you/your building acquired a view easement across the adjacent property? If yes, sure, if not, the answer would probably be: who are you and why are you telling someone what they can do with their property?

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

Don't pay a premium for a view that you think is probably going to go away.

lampey
Mar 27, 2012

Liquid Communism posted:

Compensation would require provable realized monetary damages.

Compensation would require a duty of care. There is no duty of care to neighboring landowners for their property values.

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

lampey posted:

Compensation would require a duty of care. There is no duty of care to neighboring landowners for their property values.
Correct.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

What do you look at when you are looking at houses?

I made up a spreadsheet to help me compare properties: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1SGnt7s0n39choceE5bOg2JyvFmIot74DtMrQOnliD1E/edit?usp=sharing

However it has two paradoxical problems.
1) I keep finding stuff that isn't on the list that I want to add. Just from places I saw yesterday I have three new items I want to add; attic, attic access, and general smell (one of the houses we looked at smelled like crap).

2) The spreadsheet is already so long that I never get even half the fields filled in.

There's a couple houses I really wish I'd taken pictures of everything from.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

You've got an "outside" section with one item "neighbors" but I'd suggest adding a "neighborhood" evaluation, unless you're only shopping in neighborhoods you're very familiar with. Think about stuff like noise (especially if you're mostly visiting on weekends, you might not notice for example a nearby school, commute traffic road, railroad, etc.), apparent safety of the area (do houses have bars on the first floor windows? Lots of broken glass in the street?), elevation/drainage (flood zone?), proximity to services/transit/whatever you care about, empty lots that may get built on, etc.

For "condition" I'd definitely add foundation. Look at the foundation all around the building, look for cracks in walls indoors, check for sloping rooms, etc. Look for signs of recent repairs, and look at what's going on with neighboring buildings. Look for any trees planted too close to the house, or signs that a tree too close to the house has been removed (dead roots in the ground right under your foundation walls can be a problem in the future). Look at the condition of the lot: you might have this covered by "landscaping" but look at grade, drainage, amount of sun/wind exposure, condition of things like paths, etc.

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

LLSix posted:

If you're anything like the people looking at my house, they're looking for a newly renovated and completely unused bathroom to messily poo poo in during the viewing. Up to 2 on that counter.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Marking their territory

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

Dik Hz posted:

If you're anything like the people looking at my house, they're looking for a newly renovated and completely unused bathroom to messily poo poo in during the viewing. Up to 2 on that counter.

They're just showing some dominance before the first round of negotiation. When they put in their bid you'll now need to counter with at least a steady eye-contact deuce on their lawn mid-day or meet their demands.

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

:hampants::hampants::hampants:
making GBS threads in the master is for closers.

Andy Dufresne
Aug 4, 2010

The only good race pace is suicide pace, and today looks like a good day to die

LLSix posted:

I made up a spreadsheet to help me compare properties: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1SGnt7s0n39choceE5bOg2JyvFmIot74DtMrQOnliD1E/edit?usp=sharing

However it has two paradoxical problems.
1) I keep finding stuff that isn't on the list that I want to add. Just from places I saw yesterday I have three new items I want to add; attic, attic access, and general smell (one of the houses we looked at smelled like crap).

2) The spreadsheet is already so long that I never get even half the fields filled in.

There's a couple houses I really wish I'd taken pictures of everything from.

I don't know your life situation but while all of the things on your spreadsheet matter I think they matter a lot less than macro-level stuff you aren't tracking. Also, a lot of the things you're looking at can be changed by you either quickly or over the course of 5-10 years of general upkeep. I'm looking in the DFW suburbs which is sprawling with lots of different school districts and homes of various ages. I've got a young son and expect another child at some point and I'm looking for a permanent rather than transition home. With that said, here are my criteria:

Must have:
- Elementary school in the top ~5-10% based on schooldigger ratings.
- Less than 20 minute drive to work on average.
- Floor plan with separate bedrooms for 2 kids, office big enough for desk + treadmill, some place for guests to sleep (4th br or loft), somewhere to set up a power rack (either oversized/3rd garage or an extra bedroom).
- Either a community pool, a recently built pool in the back yard, or room for a pool and sales price low enough to justify it.

Based on the must-haves I've narrowed my focus to some specific neighborhoods, then I can start digging into the houses.

Nice to haves:
- Elementary School within a 1-2 block walking range
- Middle/High schools in the top 5-10% (if not I'd plan to move again in 10 years)
- Premium build-out features: plantation shutters, crown molding, premium kitchen cabinets, premium master bathroom, laundry room sink, double oven, 6-burner stove, outdoor living upgrades (i.e. covered area with a fan large enough for a table + 6 chairs, built-in seating/grill/green egg area).

Things like flooring, light fixtures, and paint are just part of the price calculation. I know roughly what it costs to put in what I want and I don't think it's prohibitive to plan on doing some of those things post-sale. You can't very easily change a layout though. Also, part of the reason I look for a higher quality build-out is because if the house was built cheaply it shows in other places like insulation. I live in a pretty shittily-built house right now and the painters had to install an additional 2x4 between beams above my son's room because the gaps were too large and the drywall was sagging.

Andy Dufresne fucked around with this message at 17:11 on Feb 11, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Dik Hz posted:

Can't call it a renovated bathroom if it's already been defiled.