Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fecha
Nov 4, 2006

Did I... did I miss anything important?
It seems our Zimmy-esque friend might have etheric powers. That, or Jack figured out some blinker stone tricks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Jack's a bit etheric, that's been established a few times. He might well be able to project communication through the stone. But yeah, good idea Jack!

It seems odd to me we didn't at least get a panel of someone trying to pull the binding paper off Annie.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
It's magic paper, common logic goes out the window.

Aithon
Jan 3, 2014

Every puzzle has an answer.
The paper tag projects a strong SEP field, causing everybody who even considers pulling it off to think that if it were that simple, somebody would have done it five minutes ago. Annie is going to be stuck with it for the rest of the chapter.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

All ready for Paz to go Aquaman on their asses

Wyld Karde
Mar 18, 2013

She's so ~dreamy~
It's still early in the chapter, I'd expect things to all go a bit Zimmy before Paz finally shows those robots who the real threat is.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

Wyld Karde posted:

It's still early in the chapter, I'd expect things to all go a bit Zimmy before Paz finally shows those robots who the real threat is.

I know, it would just tickle my funnybone something fierce if annie, jack, and girlfriend rushed into the hall to solve the problem only to find Paz smiling and the bots restrained by crabcuffs

The Red Queen
Jan 20, 2007

You tricked me!

You said dis place was fun, but it ain't!
Even if there aren't any obvious animals nearby maybe she can use nematodes to get horrifying work done:

http://blogs.scientificamerican.com/artful-amoeba/2013/02/09/parasitic-roundworms-own-this-place/

Wyld Karde
Mar 18, 2013

She's so ~dreamy~

a medical mystery posted:

I know, it would just tickle my funnybone something fierce if annie, jack, and girlfriend rushed into the hall to solve the problem only to find Paz smiling and the bots restrained by crabcuffs

Now I have a mental image of the mouse yelling "Ay, si!" and karate kicking the hard hat off one of the seraph bots. It's times like this I wish my artistic ability extended beyond stick figures.

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

Jack to the rescue.

Huh, I wonder what Vegeta's etheric ability is. It's gotta be hair-related.

Akett
Aug 6, 2012

Blackheart posted:

Huh, I wonder what Vegeta's etheric ability is. It's gotta be hair-related.

They didn't tag him, so he might not have one (yet).

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Do we recognise any of the tagees?

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Could Annie call for the removal of her ticket by virtue of her diplomatic immunity?

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

I've seen fun you people wouldn't believe.
Tiki torches on fire off the summit of Kilauea.
I watched disco balls glitter in the dark near the Brandenburg Gate.
All those moments will be lost in time, like crowds in rain.

Time to sleep.

MikeJF posted:

Do we recognise any of the tagees?

This one looks kinda familiar.

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

I like how Winsbury, traditionally kind of a goofy jerk, becomes super helpful when poo poo gets real. And Annie is in automatically in charge (partly by virtue of how she was tossing around fireballs a minute ago).

I'm curious how the Seraph robots ended up doing all this dirty work for the ship-bot. Are they just in this for the furthering of robotkind's "new realm of existence", or is there some reason the ship-bot was able to recruit them to its cause?

Ditocoaf fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Sep 8, 2014

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
He's not traditionally a jerk, he was a jerk

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

RandomPauI posted:

Could Annie call for the removal of her ticket by virtue of her diplomatic immunity?

Maybe fire up the "Let's have a chat!" flare on behalf of the forest, and hope Coyote comes to see what it's all about. That's taking matters from bad to worse-but-fun.

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

Ditocoaf posted:

I like how Winsbury, traditionally kind of a goofy jerk, becomes super helpful when poo poo gets real.

Of course he has to help Annie, ONLY HE IS ALLOWED TO DEFEAT HER

Whitenoise Poster
Mar 26, 2010

First impressions really stick, because I can't really remember him being jerk outside of the very start leading up to him getting owned by Annie.

In fact most of the scenes I remember him from is just him getting owned. First by Annie, then by his girlfriend at archery, and then by laser cows.

Itzena
Aug 2, 2006

Nothing will improve the way things currently are.
Slime TrainerS

Brightman posted:

This one looks kinda familiar.

Someone needs to tell Eglamore that he's overdue for a haircut.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Someone needs to tell that joke that it's time for retirement.

amishjosh
Jul 16, 2004
Yeah

Whitenoise Poster posted:

First impressions really stick, because I can't really remember him being jerk outside of the very start leading up to him getting owned by Annie.

In fact most of the scenes I remember him from is just him getting owned. First by Annie, then by his girlfriend at archery, and then by laser cows.

yeah, but he owned on the illegal underground street racing stable boy gold thief circuit.

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

Ditocoaf posted:

I like how Winsbury, traditionally kind of a goofy jerk, becomes super helpful when poo poo gets real. And Annie is in automatically in charge (partly by virtue of how she was tossing around fireballs a minute ago).

I'm curious how the Seraph robots ended up doing all this dirty work for the ship-bot. Are they just in this for the furthering of robotkind's "new realm of existence", or is there some reason the ship-bot was able to recruit them to its cause?

I get the feeling we're seeing the first schism in the Church of Kat, Creator. Robot and his various court bots versus the seraph bots and apparently their friend the ship. The Robot (thanks again for that confusing name, Annie!) faction are no doubt the more spiritual and patient faction, willing to simply gaze in awe at Kat and pleased to do her bidding. The Seraph faction want to know what's in it for them, and see an opportunity to get things done. They see no problem with ordering the Creator around and attacking her friends in order to get what they want. The nice bots and the jerks, basically.

I'm willing to forgive Jack his chin fuzz if he goes back to his old ways from the Spring Heeled chapters and starts smashing up some of these seraph bots.

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

Chapter 8's author commentary video is up.

Rereading reminded me of three Big Questions posed in this chapter that are still hanging around: What the hell are the Tic Tocs? How did Jeanne cross the water to cut Annie, when she isn't supposed to be able to?

And, most frustratingly to me, the question posed by the characters on this page: "...this isn't just a school, is it?" "I've been wondering that myself." "I think we should try to find out what it is." Three years later, we still only have a couple vague hints about the wider nature of the Court (the institution) outside of the school. We know that they do sciencey experiments of indeterminate nature, and we have an inkling about the Court (the physical buildings) growing and spreading automatically, but that's about it. You'd think that Annie would have done a lot more poking around than she has.

(My complaints are probably wrong, though, because Gunnerkrigg's plot-layout/pacing is its strongest quality. So much has happened during the comic, but without ever becoming overcrowded or monotone.)

Ditocoaf fucked around with this message at 07:26 on Sep 10, 2014

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
lmao "I just whipped up this lil hovercraft thing"

Jack's a regular macygyver

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

SHISHKABOB posted:

Pft, doesn't even work via an antigravity generator. :colbert:

So I guess Anja's the strongest magic user we know? Unless we're gonna be asking Coyote for help.

UndyingShadow
May 15, 2006
You're looking ESPECIALLY shadowy this evening, Sir

MikeJF posted:

Unless we're gonna be asking Coyote for help.

Ohh god that would be amazing! Something tells me he wouldn't be quite so easy to disable with a strip of paper. Plus, Coyote would allow breakdancing.

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

SHISHKABOB posted:

I know, all I can think is "what did he make that out of?" All of Kat's crazy science projects have involved her using a lab with extensive resources. Jack just... throws together a drone in 5 minutes in the hallways of a cruise ship?

Meanwhile, apparently Jenny has a kind of magic we haven't seen before. And a wink is the most appropriate response to the question "You... did this?"

Also meanwhile, purple fumes coming off the water out the window. That looks like the Power Station experiments.

Cat Wings
Oct 12, 2012

Jenny is Coyote.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Ditocoaf posted:

I know, all I can think is "what did he make that out of?" All of Kat's crazy science projects have involved her using a lab with extensive resources. Jack just... throws together a drone in 5 minutes in the hallways of a cruise ship?

A Gunnerkrigg Court cruise ship, to be fair.

Ditocoaf posted:

Meanwhile, apparently Jenny has a kind of magic we haven't seen before. And a wink is the most appropriate response to the question "You... did this?"

Not sure about that. Most magic we've seen seems to be based on drawing symbols and runes and stuff like that, hers is just more intricate than most we've seen.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 08:25 on Sep 10, 2014

Matlock Birthmark
Sep 24, 2005

I wanted this to happen!!
Soiled Meat

Ditocoaf posted:

I'd say she's probably the first "conventional" magic user we've seen besides Anja.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

There's also Parley, if that counts? She could get either of those two, but obviously comedy option Coyote is the best bet to hope for.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

Chronojam posted:

There's also Parley, if that counts? She could get either of those two, but obviously comedy option Coyote is the best bet to hope for.
The more powerful the better... possibly Anja, banking on her being the one who made the scroll thingies in the first place and knowing how to get them off?

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Chronojam posted:

Parley would be incredibly useful if her abilities let her teleport to the ship (uncertain) but she's shown no sign of being able to see the ether. They need a magic user to be able to see Annie projecting through it to communicate.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Ditocoaf posted:

It looks like he's in a maintenance area. And we already know Jack is pretty flash with tech. It does still seem implausible. Do cruise ships usually have their own machine shops? Warships would, but... this is not.

MikeJF posted:

Parley would be incredibly useful if her abilities let her teleport to the ship (uncertain) but she's shown no sign of being able to see the ether. They need a magic user to be able to see Annie projecting through it to communicate.

On the other hand, if a drone carrying Annie's blinker stone suddenly b-lined for you, you'd probably round up Smitty and Jones, if you were Parley. Maybe Jimmy-Jims too. And you can bet Anja and Donald would soon hear about it in that case.

My money is on Anja though.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Warmachine posted:

My money is on Anja though.

Yeah, I mean, it's not like Anja can't round up the gang herself.

Legacyspy
Oct 25, 2008
Annie! Run away, that's a human transmutation circle! They're up to no good.

I kid. I'm glad that Jack's helping out. Nice to see that Jenny has skills to.

Legacyspy fucked around with this message at 09:24 on Sep 10, 2014

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

You hate ridden fucks will regret your words when you eventually grow up.

Peace.

Warmachine posted:

It looks like he's in a maintenance area. And we already know Jack is pretty flash with tech. It does still seem implausible. Do cruise ships usually have their own machine shops? Warships would, but... this is not.

a dualcopter with "no guidance system" is just an RC toy with enough battery to stay afloat and move forward

the guidance system is the hard part, presumably

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Warmachine posted:

Again, this is a Gunnerkrigg Court cruise ship. The ship is intelligent. It maintains its own army of remote-controlled bots. It probably self-services. It would by no means surprise me to find general robot-tech manufacturing systems aboard.

Couple of motors, batteries, a generic programmable controller board, an impossibly fast court-tech 3D printer to make the parts, sounds easy enough to me. Probably already schematics for a basic toy-grade drone in the printer system. The magic's gonna be handling the job of pointing it, doesn't even need much in the way of sensors or control systems.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 10:08 on Sep 10, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PubicMice
Feb 14, 2012

looking for information on posts

Legacyspy posted:

Annie! Run away, that's a human transmutation circle! They're up to no good.

First Pokemon, now Fullmetal Alchemist? Is Gunnerkrigg Court just some kinda anime comic?! <:mad:>