Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Sickening posted:

I would ask anybody that thinks this what they felt good standard was.

Thragtusk + Resto.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
when i could have that one minotaur on the field that when hit with blasphemous act it would do 13 to the opponents face

that was pretty cool imo

vanov
Sep 19, 2005

sup space lol

Some Numbers posted:

Ravnica/Time Spiral.

Best Standard

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Fish Of Doom posted:

We thought when the fetches rotated the days of 4 color goodstuff were over. Thanks Cryptolith Rite!

I knew that card was going to be good, should've put my money where my mouth was.

vanov posted:

Then again, if Astral Slide ever becomes playable again in any form, I'd buy into this game again after an eight-year break.

Oh man, this. So much fun with this card, and back then there weren't even any good ETB creature effects to abuse!

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Sickening posted:

Inv/ody, ody/ons, chk/rav, rav/ts, ala/zen at least

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
Yeah, Champions/Ravnica was another really good format.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

suicidesteve posted:

Thragtusk + Resto.

This was a p good standard. Thragtusk was worth Lilly before the reprints. It's how I got 9 of her. :3:

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

Some Numbers posted:

Ravnica/Time Spiral.

pretty much this

InterrupterJones
Nov 10, 2012

Me and the boys on the way to kill another demon god

kizudarake posted:

Peggy Hill, boggle Champion, Arlen Texas

One time I took GW Bogles to a Modern event at my LGS, and I couldn't stop saying boggle like Hank Hill. The deck is fun for that reason, if nothing else.

Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007

InterrupterJones posted:

One time I took GW Bogles to a Modern event at my LGS, and I couldn't stop saying boggle like Hank Hill. The deck is fun for that reason, if nothing else.

If you're not doing that, why are you playing MTG at all?

80s James Hetfield
Jan 20, 2004

METAL UP YOUR ASS

Sickening posted:

UW Elixir Control

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

...the person who says honestly that he despairs is closer to being cured than all those who are not regarded as despairing by themselves or others.

suicidesteve posted:

Thragtusk + Resto.

INN/RTR standard was great.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

80s James Hetfield posted:

UW Elixir Control

I really loved RTR/THS Standard. Mono-U Devotion was my jam, and I also loved splashing R for Keranos once Journey came out. Scry with Thassa, burn people with Keranos, Big Purphy P in the sideboard to slam down before a Master of Babes surfs out.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
Pretty disappointing GPNJ for me. Started off 7-1-1 on Day 1 on Bant Comapny drawing with the mirror in round 9 which was quite the feel bad and also vaulted me into the draw bracket so I go to play nothing but the mirror witch is a coin flip or GW Tokens and even if I didn't have no idea how to play with or against Archangel Avacyn, that is still not the best matchup for company and as usual my deck is better than I am. I did beat the non Tokens/Company decks I played against but 10-4-1 wasn't even close to good enough to cash. Too bad for me... At least I did get to meet BJPaskoff who was a very nice dude and hopefully I'll see you at more events in the future... Maybe even ones I don't crap out of haha.

It's definitely wrong for me to scoop to my opponent in that round 9 match to avoid getting into the draw bracket, right? I found myself wishing that I had at a few points today...

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

mcmagic posted:

It's definitely wrong for me to scoop to my opponent in that round 9 match to avoid getting into the draw bracket, right? I found myself wishing that I had at a few points today...

If you're not confident in your abilities in the mirror or against other draw bracket decks it's probably fine to scoop to avoid it.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Cawblade was the best standard

DangerDongs
Nov 7, 2010

Grimey Drawer

mcmagic posted:

Pretty disappointing GPNJ for me. Started off 7-1-1 on Day 1 on Bant Comapny drawing with the mirror in round 9 which was quite the feel bad and also vaulted me into the draw bracket so I go to play nothing but the mirror witch is a coin flip or GW Tokens and even if I didn't have no idea how to play with or against Archangel Avacyn, that is still not the best matchup for company and as usual my deck is better than I am. I did beat the non Tokens/Company decks I played against but 10-4-1 wasn't even close to good enough to cash. Too bad for me... At least I did get to meet BJPaskoff who was a very nice dude and hopefully I'll see you at more events in the future... Maybe even ones I don't crap out of haha.

I'm curious to hear how many people were playing humans, and how did they do; what variants etc.

Maybe i'm in denial for building a humans deck, but I think list running archangel of tides may fair well against Tokens and B/G Aristocrats.
The B/W matchup comes down to them having the turn 4 languish, but eerie interlude can help with that.

I'm also surprised to see multiple B/W in the top 8, but not an Esper Planeswalker deck, which you would think would have an amazing match up against B/W.

PleasantDirge
Sep 7, 2009
ASK ME ABOUT HOW NOT BEING A FUCKING ASSHOLE ON THE ROAD IS JUST LIKE BEING A JEW AT A NAZI GATHERING BECAUSE I CAN NOT UNDERSTAND HOW TO NOT BE A FUCKING ASSHOLE AND WHEN PEOPLE TREAT ME LIKE I'M A FUCKING ASSHOLE THAT IS JUST LIKE GENOCIDE

Late to the party but Buttwolf asks the best questions that keep this thread from devolving into a shitstorm when we're bored.

I play 8 whack, B/W tokens, soul sisters, W humans, and Treasure hunt/zombie infestation in modern and they are all fun tier 1.5-3 decks with funky lines that win games. I play mono W tokens and soul sisters in pauper but acid trip and Tron are also p awesome decks (R.I.P U delver). I used to play food chain goblins in vintage before the shops deck nerfings and now I'm finding myself wondering if my old deck would do better against the MM decks because goblins is always so much fun to play.

Mouth Ze Dong
Jan 2, 2005

Aint no thing like me, 'cept me.
Another reason not to bring every card you own to a GP

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

Sickening posted:

Odyssey/Onslaught
Scars/Innistrad
RTR/Theros
Kamigawa/Rav
'Rav/Time Spiral

Though to be honest, I don't think this standard is bad. I don't enjoy it, but there is enough variety of archetypes that I can see it just being my taste.

Madmarker fucked around with this message at 14:29 on May 9, 2016

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

"hmm, i should bring more than 70k worth of cardboard to an event and not have it in a briefcase handcuffed to my wrist"

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

DangerDongs posted:

I'm curious to hear how many people were playing humans, and how did they do; what variants etc.

Maybe i'm in denial for building a humans deck, but I think list running archangel of tides may fair well against Tokens and B/G Aristocrats.
The B/W matchup comes down to them having the turn 4 languish, but eerie interlude can help with that.

I'm also surprised to see multiple B/W in the top 8, but not an Esper Planeswalker deck, which you would think would have an amazing match up against B/W.

You're not gonna like the answer... Humans is basically out of the format right now. It's just really bad.

IF YOU GO TO A GP BRING ONE DECK AND THE CARDS YOU WANT TO SELL. THATS IT. Never stop repeating that to yourself.

En Fuego
Oct 8, 2004

The Reverend
I don't know if it was the best, but my favorite deck of all time is Rec/Sur with either Great Whale or Peregrine Drake/Priest of Gix to get infinite mana. Value with Spike Feeder/Weaver and just the inevitable beatdown with whatever works.

I had a homebrew that helped me top8 a Game Center Championship back during Masques that was 4c (no white) that won off the back of spellshapers and Tradewind Rider ... and finished people off with Crosis.

You know, back when Standard was a shitstorm of whatever people piled together or stole decks from The Dojo.

Edit: Oh poo poo, forgot about Type 1 Green, a standard deck that used Yavimaya Elder (Ancestral), Plow Under/Fallow Earth (Time Walk) and Masticore to kill. Gaea's Cradle was soooo broke. Urza's Block was a lovely enabler for so many broken things.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

I bet it didn't take a master thief to walk off with the backpack either. I am sure the guy left it laying around while he walked or something.

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:

Establish the Buns

Is there a pattern to what gets reported to mtgTop8? I thought all PTQs ended up on there but the one I played in isn't showing up. Does it just take a while for some events to show up? The one I played in was on May 7th and there are results from a different PTQ on there already.

MiddleEastBeast
Jan 19, 2003

Forum Bully
I'm always reluctant to dive headfirst into "blame the victim" but I'm going to anyway and say I can't for the life of me fathom how someone could attend a large event with a $10,000 backpack and not have it making constant physical contact with some part of their body at all times.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
Trip Report: Judging GP NY

This was my first GP in a while, even though I've been judging for almost 9.5 years, I took a little break except to judge Eternal Weekend last year. Judge teams have assigned areas to cover, and my team was in the 300's range on Saturday. That meant I got to see the middle of the tournament. What I saw was a lot of GW Tokens, GB Rites, and Bant Company. There were a few sweet looking Oath of Nissa-powered Superfriends decks that durdled a lot. This format is slow, and many more matches than I'm used to went to time in game one.

There was an eight year old playing, and it was so :3:. He was practically standing up on his chair to read his opponents' cards, but he seemed to know how his deck worked. You'd think he'd pile up warnings at a comp REL event, but nope. His dad said he'd been playing since he was six. He gave me my favorite judge call from the event, which was, "Judge, if he has a creature land awakened, shouldn't it be in the creature place? Not the lands place?" I told him that people can keep their permanents where ever they want.

A friend of mine made top 32, missing the top 8 by his last match in his first ever GP.

I saw Chaos Orb resolve in the 93/94 side event, got to hand out chaos draft packs and watch someone open a City of Traitors, and met some cool artists even though I forgot to bring cards for them to sign. Lots of fun, and I'm sad there's no GP within driving distance of me for a while.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

MiddleEastBeast posted:

I'm always reluctant to dive headfirst into "blame the victim" but I'm going to anyway and say I can't for the life of me fathom how someone could attend a large event with a $10,000 backpack and not have it making constant physical contact with some part of their body at all times.

The cards there alone are worth in the ballpark of $70k, ignoring the Surface Pro and other stuff.

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

Establish the Buns

Is it even possible to sell power anymore? Seems like someone that wanted to drop thousands on cardboard would be able to find a seller fairly easily.

Telex
Feb 11, 2003

ThePeavstenator posted:

Is it even possible to sell power anymore? Seems like someone that wanted to drop thousands on cardboard would be able to find a seller fairly easily.

If something's valuable, you don't care how long it takes to sell it.

Only #mtgfinance idiots care about how fast they flip cardboard to max out their pennies for nickels profit schemes.

Someone's bound to want them, as long as the dude who stole them doesn't take around a binder filled with all those cards and flashes them to all who ask I don't think there's any way that person gets caught. You sell 1-2 cards a month and never have the rest of them around and the only thing people will be asking is if they're fakes or not.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
http://www.mtgtop8.com/event?e=12300&f=ST

A deck with 3 Nahiri main board took GP Tokyo

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

TheKingofSprings posted:

Everyone was wrooong!

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

TheKingofSprings posted:

And it's straight up just for card quality and removal. There's only one madness card in the 75.

Judd Stackington
Oct 27, 2015
MTGO trip report: 5 new player drafts. First in 4, second in the other. I should have lost the last game but the MTGO interface reminded me I could use madness on Twins of Maurer Estate. Maybe I can make a living from grinding GPs.

Paper MTG report: Nahiri is suddenly the most expensive card in my collection by :10bux:. Maybe I can make a living from #mtgfinance.

Actual content: The size and scope of MTG is intimidating as hell for new players and missing out on catching cards that are crucial but won't last in the format very long like Jace, Vryn's Prodigy and Chandra and even Collected Company at a reasonable price is super painful. I really like Shadows Over Innistrad as a theme, don't have too much to compare the mechanics to.

I'm intending on playing in the Beginner Standard format at my LGS with cheap as hell RG Werewolves or a cheap as hell W Humans deck and picking up bits that I think will go in the UB Zombies deck I'm hoping will be enabled in Eldritch Moon. The meta deck I like at the minute is B/G Aristocrats but I'm playing with money saved from quitting cigarettes and Collected Company just doesn't look like a good value proposition with it rotating out in six months, especially with me not having to also purchase the rest of the deck. Kalitas, Westvale Abbey and the manabase I'm fine with. Should I reconsider, save and dump money into it knowing it'll be worthless in a few months for the sake of having something to play at FNM in a couple of weeks?

Judd Stackington fucked around with this message at 18:41 on May 9, 2016

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

TheKingofSprings posted:

Vile Redeemer in GB is pretty hot. I might have to give that a try, that deck is extremely my poo poo. Two seems like a great number since they don't seem insane in the GW tokens matchup and then you just swap in the Virulent Plagues and gak them with an unblockable nantuko husk or some other thing that doesn't fold to sorcery speed removal.

ButtWolf
Dec 30, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Since im starting over, im doing only decks with Shadows right now, so anything i put in will be std for awhile.

New poll: Favorite card - one pick for its utility, one for its art/flavor.

I think i go with Lightning Bolt and Tamiyo, Moon Sage. Or Vexing Devil. So crisp.

Night Danger Moose
Jan 5, 2004

YO SOY FIESTA

Flavour is either Rescue from the Underworld or Hundred-Handed one. Theros didn't have a lot of amazing cards but those two are flavour home runs.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

ButtWolf posted:

Since im starting over, im doing only decks with Shadows right now, so anything i put in will be std for awhile.

I think i go with Lightning Bolt and Tamiyo, Moon Sage. Or Vexing Devil. So crisp.

Easy. Stasis for both.

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

ButtWolf posted:

Utility: Ponder

Flavor: Sensory Deprivation is pretty horrifying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Utility: Aether Vial

Flavor: Knight Exemplar.

• Locked thread