Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

E2M2
Mar 2, 2007

Ain't No Thang.
Wonder what Nameless Steve would say about a Nazi party member visiting Mandatory Palestine and having a coin commemorating the occasion.

https://www.ynetnews.com/articles/0,7340,L-5072424,00.html

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hoiyes
May 17, 2007

Szarrukin posted:

loving bullshit. Marek Edelman, one of leaders of Ghetto Uprising, was staunch member of Bund and hated Zionism. He wasn't the only one.
Equating a Zionist in the Warsaw ghetto to a Zionist in 2024 is completely absurd anyway. Plenty of prominent post-war Zionists turned against the idea when they saw material reality of the Israeli state, Primo Levi and Hannah Arendt for two.

But I suspect the person linking to the Israeli government knockoff Rotten.com gore site (without nsf warning BTW mods) which tried to launder photos of dead Kurdish women fighters as raped rave attendees might not be arguing in good faith!

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006
More piers news stories:

https://www.aljazeera.com/program/newsfeed/2024/5/19/desperate-scenes-as-gaza-aid-trucks-arrive-from-us-floating-pier

I would guess by the end of next week we will be getting information about the rate of goods actually flowing in.

But sea state gets up to 3 on Friday next week.

https://www.tide-forecast.com/locations/Ashdod/forecasts/latest

I’m guessing it’ll be down Friday through Monday unless that forecast changes

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
Another organization that reported mass sexual assaults on Oct. 7 continues to walk their claims back, now that it's too late to matter.

https://x.com/ryangrim/status/1791943615570223496

TLM3101
Sep 8, 2010

Bar Ran Dun posted:

More piers news stories:

https://www.aljazeera.com/program/newsfeed/2024/5/19/desperate-scenes-as-gaza-aid-trucks-arrive-from-us-floating-pier

I would guess by the end of next week we will be getting information about the rate of goods actually flowing in.

But sea state gets up to 3 on Friday next week.

https://www.tide-forecast.com/locations/Ashdod/forecasts/latest

I’m guessing it’ll be down Friday through Monday unless that forecast changes

Meanwhile, the Washington Post has an update on the situation in Gaza and the pier as well:

quote:

Famine is believed to be prevalent in areas of Gaza. Desalination plants are offline, with fuel scarce and Israel having razed swaths of the territory’s civilian infrastructure. As a result, clean water is in desperate demand. People in Gaza are living on less than two liters a day, according to the United Nations. Consider that the United Nations believes that people need at least 7.5 to 15 liters each day for consumption and sanitation in crisis situations, and 70 liters under normal conditions.

“We would need to invent brand new words to adequately describe the situation that Palestinians in Gaza find themselves in today,” said Yasmina Guerda, an official with the U.N.’s humanitarian office. “No matter where you look, no matter where you go, there’s destruction, there’s devastation, there’s loss. There’s a lack of everything. There’s pain. There’s just incredible suffering. People are living on top of the rubble and the waste that used to be their lives.”

A much-touted U.S.-built artificial pier whirred into operation over the weekend, allowing a trickle of fresh aid into the territory. But aid groups see the new relief coming in through this platform as wholly inadequate for the scale of the catastrophe, and reiterate widespread calls for a lasting cease-fire so that they can carry out their work.

“The addition of 90 to 100 trucks a day is negligible. Every bit can help — but this is not a solution to the actual problem,” said Kate Phillips-Barrasso, vice president of global policy and advocacy for Mercy Corps. “This wouldn’t have been enough aid to make a difference, and it is now truly a drop in the ocean with the Rafah crossing closed.”

Samantha Power, administrator of the U.S. Agency for International Development, seemed to acknowledge this reality. “The pier that opened today does not replace or substitute for land crossings into Gaza, every one of which needs to operate at maximum capacity and efficiency,” she said. “Every moment that a crossing is not open, that trucks are not moving or where aid cannot safely be distributed increases the terrible human costs of this conflict.”

I'm sorry, but it's performative. The aid coming in through the pier is not enough, it's being delivered straight to the Israelis for further distribution, and the IDF are the ones in charge of security for the pier. For a project that's supposedly all about getting as much aid to the people of Gaza as possible, it's a piss-poor job being done of it.

Yes, it is an impressive feat of engineering to be able to plonk a pier down anywhere in the world. But the effects of the pier are by the administrator of USAIDs own admission inadequate without the land-crossings, the closing of which was what the pier was supposed to circumvent in the first place!

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
it's a potentially significant amount of aid, but the really important thing as basically everyone is emphasizing is that Israel needs to end it's de facto blockade of Palestine

bunch of UN officials have been releasing increasingly urgent appeals to get Israel to reverse course as they've all but completely closed the crossings since may 10th. like an average of 0-20 trucks of aid per day has been going in since then, which represents 0-2% of the daily aid pre-october 7th. it's an unbelievably dire situation

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
Waiting to see if Israel allows enough food in to the concentration camp, because Israel has been preventing food coming into the concentration camp, is absolute brain rot. This is a literal genocide and we're getting daily updates on their fake pier because it allows people to pretend there isn't one. What the actual gently caress?

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

https://twitter.com/IntlCrimCourt/status/1792511246769570084

:eyepop:

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Hell yeah

frytechnician
Jan 8, 2004

Happy to see me?

Hope they loving follow through and actually get Netanyahu to face some consequences. And no, I don't want to hear any "narrators voice" takes that they did not or whatever. gently caress that guy forever, there's no Hell bad enough for him to ever face.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
They're incorrectly seeking to charge Hamas for fighting back against their slow genocide by the occupation forces. It's not all good news, this will be ammo twisted to support the genocide.

Civilized Fishbot
Apr 3, 2011

Bald Stalin posted:

They're incorrectly seeking to charge Hamas for fighting back against their slow genocide by the occupation forces. It's not all good news, this will be ammo twisted to support the genocide.

What's incorrect about it?

I don't think war crime law permits war crimes on the basis that your military is the weaker party or on the basis that your enemy are themselves committing horrible crimes. And taking hostages is a war crime.

The ICC seems to be doing its job, so far as I can tell, 100% correctly, except for the part where it has no power to arrest anyone.

If in the end only Hamas leadership is arrested, so they're on trial and Israeli leadership isn't, then that'll be an obvious injustice, because Israeli war crimes have amounted to far far far greater massacre and humiliation. It would be the ICC acting as a peacetime weapon of the victorious military which I think is a real problem with a court that can basically only put defeated leaders on trial. But in practice I can't imagine any of these people actually being handed over to the ICC.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
Hamas did nothing wrong. That's what's wrong about it. It's like saying Ho Chi Minh, Mao or Fidel are criminals. Israelis deserved everything that happened.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

I strongly recommend reading the full statement.
https://www.icc-cpi.int/news/statement-icc-prosecutor-karim-aa-khan-kc-applications-arrest-warrants-situation-state

quote:

Yahya Sinwar, Mohammed Diab Ibrahim Al-Masri (Deif), Ismail Haniyeh

On the basis of evidence collected and examined by my Office, I have reasonable grounds to believe that Yahya SINWAR (Head of the Islamic Resistance Movement (“Hamas”) in the Gaza Strip), Mohammed Diab Ibrahim AL-MASRI, more commonly known as DEIF (Commander-in-Chief of the military wing of Hamas, known as the Al-Qassam Brigades), and Ismail HANIYEH (Head of Hamas Political Bureau) bear criminal responsibility for the following war crimes and crimes against humanity committed on the territory of Israel and the State of Palestine (in the Gaza strip) from at least 7 October 2023:

Extermination as a crime against humanity, contrary to article 7(1)(b) of the Rome Statute;
Murder as a crime against humanity, contrary to article 7(1)(a), and as a war crime, contrary to article 8(2)(c)(i);
Taking hostages as a war crime, contrary to article 8(2)(c)(iii);
Rape and other acts of sexual violence as crimes against humanity, contrary to article 7(1)(g), and also as war crimes pursuant to article 8(2)(e)(vi) in the context of captivity;
Torture as a crime against humanity, contrary to article 7(1)(f), and also as a war crime, contrary to article 8(2)(c)(i), in the context of captivity;
Other inhumane acts as a crime against humanity, contrary to article 7(l)(k), in the context of captivity;
Cruel treatment as a war crime contrary to article 8(2)(c)(i), in the context of captivity; and
Outrages upon personal dignity as a war crime, contrary to article 8(2)(c)(ii), in the context of captivity
They were obviously going to have to at least acknowledge the taking of hostages, but this goes a lot further - the ICC sees the accusations of widespread sexual violence and mass murder on October 7th as credible. Note that it has also included Haniyeh in this warrant, rejecting the common argument that the political wing of Hamas did not have knowledge of or involvement in the attack.
It's unlikely this will have much practical effect on the leaders - Qatar isn't a signatory and since Hamas is designated as a terrorist group in many countries their leaders probably weren't planning to move around much - but it will make it a lot harder to deny the atrocities Hamas committed at the start of the war. I suppose it might also have implications for power sharing post-war in a scenario where the Hamas leadership survives - since the de jure Palestinian leadership is a signatory to the ICC it will be difficult for them to justify them power-sharing with wanted war criminals in future.

quote:

Benjamin Netanyahu, Yoav Gallant

On the basis of evidence collected and examined by my Office, I have reasonable grounds to believe that Benjamin NETANYAHU, the Prime Minister of Israel, and Yoav GALLANT, the Minister of Defence of Israel, bear criminal responsibility for the following war crimes and crimes against humanity committed on the territory of the State of Palestine (in the Gaza strip) from at least 8 October 2023:

Starvation of civilians as a method of warfare as a war crime contrary to article 8(2)(b)(xxv) of the Statute;
Wilfully causing great suffering, or serious injury to body or health contrary to article 8(2)(a)(iii), or cruel treatment as a war crime contrary to article 8(2)(c)(i);
Wilful killing contrary to article 8(2)(a)(i), or Murder as a war crime contrary to article 8(2)(c)(i);
Intentionally directing attacks against a civilian population as a war crime contrary to articles 8(2)(b)(i), or 8(2)(e)(i);
Extermination and/or murder contrary to articles 7(1)(b) and 7(1)(a), including in the context of deaths caused by starvation, as a crime against humanity;
Persecution as a crime against humanity contrary to article 7(1)(h);
Other inhumane acts as crimes against humanity contrary to article 7(1)(k).
All of these crimes are all well-backed by publically available evidence, but it was nonetheless brave of the ICC to make these charges in the face of US threats. The fact that Gallant as well as Netanyahu is implicated is significant - Gallant is often seen as a likely successor for the extremely unpopular Netanyahu, so it's a bit harder for Israel to avoid the consequences of these charges by simply switching leaders. This would limit their ability to go to other countries for diplomatic purposes in the much the same way as Putin was, although note that they will still be able to go to the US as it is not a signatory.

I would love to live in the alternate world in which these five men are prosecuted for these crimes. In practice it seems extremely unlikely any of them will face justice - even if Israel ends up capturing the leaders of Hamas in Gaza they will probably subject them to a show trial within their own country rather than hand them over.

Esran
Apr 28, 2008

Civilized Fishbot posted:

What's incorrect about it?

I don't think war crime law permits war crimes on the basis that your military is the weaker party or on the basis that your enemy are themselves committing horrible crimes. And taking hostages is a war crime.

The ICC seems to be doing its job, so far as I can tell, 100% correctly, except for the part where it has no power to arrest anyone.

If in the end only Hamas leadership is arrested, so they're on trial and Israeli leadership isn't, then that'll be an obvious injustice, because Israeli war crimes have amounted to far far far greater massacre and humiliation. It would be the ICC acting as a peacetime weapon of the victorious military which I think is a real problem with a court that can basically only put defeated leaders on trial. But in practice I can't imagine any of these people actually being handed over to the ICC.

This is not a war between two states. It's a rebellion by concentration camp (increasingly: death camp) inmates against the people running that camp.

All violence in this conflict is directly caused by Israel's refusal to release those inmates. Every single death in this war is their fault.

Even detached from all morality and discussion of what Israel deserved or did not deserve (that gets into morality, and so it is easy for people to disagree with), it is clear that Israel has caused everything that has happened.

To be clear, this doesn't mean that individual Israelis deserved the attacks. It means Israel caused those attacks to happen, so the blame rests with their own government.

Irony Be My Shield posted:

the ICC sees the accusations of widespread sexual violence (...) as credible.

All the evidence is just out of frame.

Esran fucked around with this message at 13:13 on May 20, 2024

Civilized Fishbot
Apr 3, 2011

Bald Stalin posted:

Hamas did nothing wrong. That's what's wrong about it. It's like saying Ho Chi Minh, Mao or Fidel are criminals. Israelis deserved everything that happened.

If believe war crimes aren't bad when they happen to civilians you dislike then you are going to be disappointed by the ICC doing its job correctly. What did you expect?

The accused war crimes here include some things Hamas obviously did/is doing ("Taking hostages as a war crime") and some things that are ambiguous ("Rape and other acts of sexual violence as crimes against humanity"). I'm sure that you're only defending the stuff they obviously did, and that toward the alleged organized sexual violence you'd never say anyone deserved that, just that it didn't happen at all or wasn't organized in a way where Hamas as a whole is responsible. Right? Correct me if I'm wrong here.

Esran posted:

This is not a war between two states. It's a rebellion by concentration camp (increasingly: death camp) inmates against the people running that camp.

If you have a bunch of guys shooting guns and missiles at each other, I'd call that a war. It's a rebellion by the residents of this prison-reservation that was successful enough to turn into an actual war, like the wildest aspirations of the Warsaw Ghetto uprising. Maybe "armed conflict" is the pedantically correct term I dunno.

quote:

By the legal doctrine of "Play stupid games, win stupid prizes", it is weak of the ICC to blame both sides.

This isn't actually a legal doctrine followed by the ICC. You can say "wow, this is hosed up, in my heart I believe there is such a thing as a war crime in self defense" but the ICC is not doing its job incorrectly because it disagrees with you.

quote:

All the evidence is just out of frame.

They describe the evidence they used:

quote:

My Office also submits there are reasonable grounds to believe that hostages taken from Israel have been kept in inhumane conditions, and that some have been subject to sexual violence, including rape, while being held in captivity. We have reached that conclusion based on medical records, contemporaneous video and documentary evidence, and interviews with victims and survivors.

The problem with this statement/mode of prosecution I think is not that it lists crimes committed by Hamas but that it doesn't include certain Israeli crimes including apartheid, for which hundreds/thousands/hundreds of thousands of Israelis can be held responsible.

Civilized Fishbot fucked around with this message at 13:30 on May 20, 2024

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

Bald Stalin posted:

Hey how about you get hosed? I lost friends in that attack who didn't deserve to die and were against the occupation but unfortunately not everyone born in Israel has the means to just leave.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
I believe Hamas has said before that they're willing to defend themselves at the ICC if Israel is charged as well. Regardless of how likely you might consider that happening, it speaks to the fact that this is a unilateral victory; Western countries already consider Hamas to be terrorists who are breaking laws and doing war crimes, while Israel has much more to lose in an international court declaring that they've committed genocide.

It undercuts an argument against the ICC being made (that it's turning a blind eye to Hamas) without changing much, not surprised that they'd do it.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Irony Be My Shield posted:

the ICC sees the accusations of widespread sexual violence and mass murder on October 7th as credible.

What part of your quote says this?

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts

Miftan posted:

Hey how about you get hosed? I lost friends in that attack who didn't deserve to die and were against the occupation but unfortunately not everyone born in Israel has the means to just leave.

Hamas did NOTHING wrong. I'm sorry your friends that were in an occupied territory that was doing genocide got caught up in it though. To clarify, as someone living in a settler colony, I don't consider myself Australian. Australia is a settler colony. If my comrades who feel the same died in an uprising against our colony I wouldn't say they were Australians. Does that make sense?

Bald Stalin fucked around with this message at 13:26 on May 20, 2024

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
You can argue that Oct 7 was inevitable with Israel's treatment of Palestinians, and even that Oct 7 wasn't uniquely abhorrent compared to the average military casualty ratio, without excusing dead civilians IMO.

You can recognize that a military's operation is justified without also arguing that it's okay when civilians are killed. We do it all the time with waves at every military/resistance group in existence.

As for the ICC charges: in a vacuum without political pressure, I believe that Hamas could successfully argue against the charges of sexual assault, and scapegoat lower generals for the civillian deaths. It doesn't exist in a vacuum though, so in the event that they do end up at the Hague I imagine the US would put unfathomable pressure on them to sentence both Israeli and Palestinian leaders (if not Palestinians alone).

Esran
Apr 28, 2008

This isn't actually a legal doctrine followed by the ICC. You can say "wow, this is hosed up, in my heart I believe there is such a thing as a war crime in self defense" but the ICC is not doing its job incorrectly because it disagrees with you.

The argument I'm making is not that war crimes are suddenly cool and good when Hamas does them. It's that responsibility for those crimes rests with Israel, because they created and maintain a situation in which Palestinians either resist, or lie down and die.

And obviously I was making a joke, I don't expect the ICC to actually follow the doctrine I just made up.

Civilized Fishbot
Apr 3, 2011

Bald Stalin posted:

To clarify, as someone living in a settler colony, I don't consider myself Australian. Australia is a settler colony. If my comrades who feel the same died in an uprising against our colony I wouldn't say they were Australians. Does that make sense?

It sounds like you're an Australian who copes with being the beneficiary of settler-colonialism by way of saying "No TRUE Scotsman Australian is a good person!"

If you think civilians lose their right to live if they have the wrong national identity or reside within the borders of a criminal state, the whole ICC process is basically designed to upset you.

Esran posted:

The argument I'm making is not that war crimes are suddenly cool and good when Hamas does them. It's that responsibility for those crimes rests with Israel, because they created and maintain a situation in which Palestinians either resist, or lie down and die.

Is this your actual belief about organized sexual violence, or is that a crime that should be prosecuted if the ICC believes it might've occurred as in this case?

For some of the other crimes I can see your logic. I think with these horrifying circumstances the appropriate route is still to document the crime - who perpetrated it, who suffered it, how it was done and allowed to happen - with maximum context including all "extenuating circumstances" (rational reason to believe that taking these hostages was the only way to prevent mass murder of Palestinian civilians, etc). And then maybe the perpetrator gets a light/no sentence. The ICC trial process seems like one way to do that, and more progress toward that than "this all seems pretty hosed up so we're not gonna deal with it."

Civilized Fishbot fucked around with this message at 13:58 on May 20, 2024

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
I mean, in a just world, everyone involved with decision-making would be tried at the Hague, that's the whole supposed point of having an international court system. Whatever your feelings on who is responsible for October 7th, both Hamas and Israeli leadership should be indicted and have what exactly they did and did not do laid bare. also most or all US presidents and a whole slew of other political figures

That's not actually going to happen because the rules-based international order is not a real thing, but the arrest warrant forces Israel's allies to either throw Netanyahu under the bus or violate the pretense that international law exists, neither of which is a winning position.

Zulily Zoetrope fucked around with this message at 13:54 on May 20, 2024

TLM3101
Sep 8, 2010

Shame that Hague is going to cease to exist if they actually attempt to follow through on this, it's a nice city by all accounts. But good on the ICC for taking this step nonetheless.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

TheRat posted:

What part of your quote says this?
The article they refer to, 7(1)(g), reads as follows (warning - graphic language in the spoiled section):

quote:

Article 7 (1) (g)-1
Crime against humanity of rape
Elements
1. The perpetrator invaded15 the body of a person by conduct resulting in penetration, however slight, of any
part of the body of the victim or of the perpetrator with a sexual organ, or of the anal or genital opening of
the victim with any object or any other part of the body.
2. The invasion was committed by force, or by threat of force or coercion, such as that caused by fear of
violence, duress, detention, psychological oppression or abuse of power, against such person or another
person, or by taking advantage of a coercive environment, or the invasion was committed against a person
incapable of giving genuine consent.16

3. The conduct was committed as part of a widespread or systematic attack directed against a civilian
population.
4. The perpetrator knew that the conduct was part of or intended the conduct to be part of a widespread or
systematic attack directed against a civilian population.
I think it's fairly obvious in any case that truly isolated incidents would fall upon individual soldiers rather than the leadership of the organisation - the ICC must have judged that the sexual crimes committed both on October 7th itself and against captives subsequently were widespread enough to suggest a systematic problem.

Irony Be My Shield fucked around with this message at 13:57 on May 20, 2024

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
We still need the court to approve the warrants. But just getting to this point alone is an enormous victory against the Israeli machine. That they advanced a warrant for the US's substitute genocidaire is even more astonishing.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

It's a shame they bought into the war rape propaganda but the Netanyahu and Gallant stuff is good.

Civilized Fishbot
Apr 3, 2011

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

I mean, in a just world, everyone involved with decision-making would be tried at the Hague, that's the whole supposed point of having an international court system. Whatever your feelings on who is responsible for October 7th, both Hamas and Israeli leadership should be indicted and have what exactly they did and did not do laid bare. also most or all US presidents and a whole slew of other political figures

My thoughts exactly. Honestly if you're a modern head of state you should probably have to report to the Hague at the end of your term like an exit interview with HR. And maybe they clear you but it wouldn't happen for any head of any state where I've lived.

Groovelord Neato posted:

It's a shame they bought into the war rape propaganda but the Netanyahu and Gallant stuff is good.

They said they did, and are still doing, their own evidence gathering for that charge, including interviews with victims which I think the past investigations couldn't do or at least said they couldn't do. Maybe we'd see it at trial but we all know none of these trials are happening.

Alchenar posted:

Actually in the statement the allegations of sexual violence are specifically linked to the treatment of the hostages after they were taken into captivity, with the allegations related to Oct 7th 'continue to be looked into'.

This is my understanding as well and it makes a lot of sense to me that it's easier to prove leadership accountability for crimes in a controlled environment like makeshift prison than in a totally uncontrolled environment like October 7.

I think the sum of this is that international sentiment continues to turn against the state of Israel (good) and that there are more countries where Netanyahu and Gallant can't travel (good) and that the ICC continues to be publicly exposed as functionally impotent because it's a court without a police force or army (bad)

Civilized Fishbot fucked around with this message at 14:16 on May 20, 2024

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Actually in the statement the allegations of sexual violence are specifically linked to the treatment of the hostages after they were taken into captivity, with the allegations related to Oct 7th 'continue to be looked into'.

Esran
Apr 28, 2008

Is this your actual belief about organized sexual violence, or is that a crime that should be prosecuted if the ICC believes it might've occurred as in this case?

For some of the other crimes I can see your logic. I think with these horrifying circumstances the appropriate route is still to document the crime - who perpetrated it, who suffered it, how it was done and allowed to happen - with maximum context including all "extenuating circumstances" (rational reason to believe that taking these hostages was the only way to prevent mass murder of Palestinian civilians, etc). And then maybe the perpetrator gets a light/no sentence. The ICC trial process seems like one way to do that, and more progress toward that than "this all seems pretty hosed up so we're not gonna deal with it."

No, my actual belief about the organized sexual violence is that there is so far not an iota of evidence that this occurred, and the attempts to substantiate the assertion have fallen apart under scrutiny, such as the fake news the NYT ran with in November, or this.

That's without getting into the discrepancy between the claim that such violence was "organized" or "systematic", and the lukewarm "there are reasonable grounds to believe that hostages taken from Israel have been kept in inhumane conditions, and that some have been subject to sexual violence" statement made by the ICC.

But sure, I'm fine with this being prosecuted, and it makes sense to document any crimes in any case.

I doubt the ICC will actually be prosecuting any of the Israelis, due to the Hague Invasion Act also covering allies of the empire.

Esran fucked around with this message at 14:16 on May 20, 2024

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts

It sounds like you're an Australian who copes with being the beneficiary of settler-colonialism by way of saying "No TRUE Scotsman Australian is a good person!"

If you think civilians lose their right to live

They're not civilians if they support oppression and genocide. If they support genocide and help it, they deserve it when people fight them to stop them. What sources to do you have that contradict this wrt Israel?

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Esran posted:

I doubt the ICC will actually be prosecuting any of the Israelis, due to the Hague Invasion Act also covering allies of the empire.

Pretty sure it doesn't actually apply to non-Americans.

E: \/\/\/ Huh, you're right, I completely misremembered it. Turns out Israel is even mentioned explicitly in the 2013 definitions.

quote:

COVERED ALLIED PERSONS- The term `covered allied persons' means military personnel, elected or appointed officials, and other persons employed by or working on behalf of the government of a NATO member country, a major non-NATO ally (including Australia, Egypt, Israel, Japan, Jordan, Argentina, the Republic of Korea, and New Zealand), or Taiwan, for so long as that government is not a party to the International Criminal Court and wishes its officials and other persons working on its behalf to be exempted from the jurisdiction of the International Criminal Court.

Paladinus fucked around with this message at 14:21 on May 20, 2024

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

Paladinus posted:

Wrong, it does apply to American allies

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

That's not actually going to happen because the rules-based international order is not a real thing, but the arrest warrant forces Israel's allies to either throw Netanyahu under the bus or violate the pretense that international law exists, neither of which is a winning position.

If Netanyahu is arrested solely to keep up the pretense that international law exists, then it's not a pretense and it really does exist. It might not be as fair or capable as you would like, but doing anything because the law says you must means that law carries at least some weight.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

It'd be interesting to watch Israel try to substantiate their weaponized rape propaganda in court.

We know at least one image from their "sizzle reel" is that Kurdish woman, and they were stretching to include chest shots as sexual violence.

Curious how well the 1200 casualties figure would hold up to serious scrutiny, as well. We've got documented tanks firing indiscriminately, and Israel was quick to chop up and bury cars supporting helicopter involvement.

It might be a net good to open October 7 to investigation not helmed by the US or Israel, especially if the ICC has already demonstrated nonpartisan leanings.

Although "both sides bad" is one hell of a sirens' call.

Esran
Apr 28, 2008

Paladinus posted:

Alas

quote:

prohibits the International Criminal Court from seeking to exercise jurisdiction over the following persons with respect to actions undertaken by them in an official capacity:

covered United States persons;

covered allied persons; and

individuals who were covered United States persons or covered allied persons; and

ensures that no person described in subparagraph (A) will be arrested, detained, prosecuted, or imprisoned by or on behalf of the International Criminal Court.

COVERED ALLIED PERSONS- The term `covered allied persons' means military personnel, elected or appointed officials, and other persons employed by or working on behalf of the government of a NATO member country, a major non-NATO ally (including Australia, Egypt, Israel, Japan, Jordan, Argentina, the Republic of Korea, and New Zealand), or Taiwan, for so long as that government is not a party to the International Criminal Court and wishes its officials and other persons working on its behalf to be exempted from the jurisdiction of the International Criminal Court.

Technically the law covers anyone the US feels like covering at that moment.

Not that this is important, law flows from political power and not the reverse, so the US would just change the law if it got in the way, it's mostly just a funny factoid.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

Bald Stalin posted:

Hamas did NOTHING wrong. I'm sorry your friends that were in an occupied territory that was doing genocide got caught up in it though. To clarify, as someone living in a settler colony, I don't consider myself Australian. Australia is a settler colony. If my comrades who feel the same died in an uprising against our colony I wouldn't say they were Australians. Does that make sense?

No it doesn't. Please explain how you think my friend who was a peace activist Israeli, born to Israeli parents who never had the resources to leave Israel even if they wanted to (because leaving your entire life behind is very difficult!) deserved to die based on having the bad luck to be born where he was.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
America saying they would invade the Hague is very different from America actually doing it. It would be the end of everything they've built internationally.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts

Miftan posted:

No it doesn't. Please explain how you think my friend who was a peace activist Israeli, born to Israeli parents who never had the resources to leave Israel even if they wanted to (because leaving your entire life behind is very difficult!) deserved to die based on having the bad luck to be born where he was.

He wasn't Israeli and didn't deserve it. This isn't hard.