Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

Crobblers looks bloated like he just had plastic surgery

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

peter gabriel posted:

I'm just guessing here but would 200 years ago be in the wing Commander timeline?

Darn you, I had to look it up. WC (well the movie) takes place in 2454.

Banano
Jan 10, 2005
Soiled Meat

AP posted:

Squadron 42 plot spoiler.

Dooguk
Oct 11, 2016

Pillbug
That guy at the front has got his "This is bullshit" face on.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
I mean, it's entirely plausible a space faring society wouldn't upgrade their junk in 200 years if they weren't in any big wars at that time (reminder: it's been 65 years since the first b52 flight), but this is some kind of lovely dystopian empire we're talking about, just lol at their military not hogging all the best tech all the time.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Truga posted:

I mean, it's entirely plausible a space faring society wouldn't upgrade their junk in 200 years if they weren't in any big wars at that time (reminder: it's been 65 years since the first b52 flight), but this is some kind of lovely dystopian empire we're talking about, just lol at their military not hogging all the best tech all the time.

For me, well, I don't really care if they are 200 years old or whatever - it's more that it once more points to a total lack of creativity. It's just another tired old sci fi bullshit thing, like snarky computers or whatever. The old / futuristic thing is like sci fi's steampunk. It's lazy and poo poo.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
But steampunk is really good when it's well done?

.. oh I see.

skaboomizzy
Nov 12, 2003

There is nothing I want to be. There is nothing I want to do.
I don't even have an image of what I want to be. I have nothing. All that exists is zero.

peter gabriel posted:

Brb preparing my trebuchet :psyduck:

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Truga posted:

Dunno, we're about to dump 20 years avionics development because someone told the guy at the top that the F/A-18 can do the same job as the F-35.

That's technically a 200 year old airframe.*

Edit: * Alternative fact.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Truga posted:

But steampunk is really good when it's well done?

.. oh I see.

- Annebelle 'boo' huxley'

Nicholas
Mar 7, 2001

Were those not fine days, when we drank of clear honey, and spoke in calm tones of our love for the stuff?
Imagine if you joined the Airforce during a war and they made you buy your own fighter jet? Like, after saving up enough money from being a commercial flight stewardess.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Nicholas posted:

Imagine if you joined the Airforce during a war and they made you buy your own fighter jet? Like, after saving up enough money from being a commercial flight stewardess.

And it was 200 years old

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

All of these info graphics are going to be fantastic when Star Citizen releases the MVP arena shooter.

I'm sure the money went to a good cause. :shobon:

:rice:

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
In ww1, many pilots were rich kids who got a plane from their parents. It cost less than the car they also wanted :v:

Nicholas
Mar 7, 2001

Were those not fine days, when we drank of clear honey, and spoke in calm tones of our love for the stuff?

peter gabriel posted:

And it was 200 years old

After the information-wars of 2630, humanity lost their greatest "guns pointing forward" technology. Now it has been reclaimed

Zzr
Oct 6, 2016

Hav posted:

Dunno, we're about to dump 20 years avionics development because someone told the guy at the top that the F/A-18 can do the same job as the F-35.

That's technically a 200 year old airframe.*

Edit: * Alternative fact.

We did the rafale and it's already admitted that it's the 4.5 generation. In 10 years when it will fly as a brain of a drone swarm it will be admitted that it's the 5.0. Thanks Spectra. U.S.A avionic is obsolete since the 90's.

Zzr fucked around with this message at 17:13 on Feb 27, 2017

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?

spacetoaster posted:

I like the guy wearing cold weather clothes with flip flops.

https://twitter.com/discolando/status/835295776502775808/photo/1

Chris : allright guys heres erm where uhm the magic happens *points to computer* if you look closely you can uhm

*everybody leans in*

chris : oh god how did that get on my screen - uhm someone must be playing a practical joke I've never seen that before uhm

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Nicholas posted:

After the information-wars of 2630, humanity lost their greatest "guns pointing forward" technology. Now it has been reclaimed

It reminds me of that one time in the original Gulf war where the allied forces wadded their muskets while under heavy sabre attack, the horses clad in wattle and daub never stood a chance

MinorInconvenience
Feb 24, 2017

Criminal lawyer or criminal, lawyer. Yeah. No difference.

Virtual Captain posted:

https://twitter.com/dsmart/status/835861811589234688

I take it these sales numbers are accurate as possible with CIG's farce of transparency. I've gotta think the Hurricane did not live up to CIGs sales hopes, the prospector sold like poo poo despite being the one of the 2 dedicated mining vehicles. But ok probably not a lot of players are interested in mining, a (what looks to be) overpowered starter ship should get the money flowing again right!?

As things become more desperate, I imagine we may some insane concept jpegs.

This year huh? CIG low on shovels?

Do these sales numbers even mean anything anymore? A bit back in the thread it was mentioned (and seemingly confirmed) that employees can buy the jpeg packages at a discount (or maybe taking less pay in their paychecks), which they then go and sell on the grey market for a profit. It was also mentioned that Croberts & Co. report these sales at the full, not discounted price. If all of this is true, I suspect the $144 million is completely misleading (and possibly designed to keep backers from panicking). Or am I missing something?

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

MinorInconvenience posted:

Do these sales numbers even mean anything anymore? A bit back in the thread it was mentioned (and seemingly confirmed) that employees can buy the jpeg packages at a discount (or maybe taking less pay in their paychecks), which they then go and sell on the grey market for a profit. It was also mentioned that Croberts & Co. report these sales at the full, not discounted price. If all of this is true, I suspect the $144 million is completely misleading (and possibly designed to keep backers from panicking). Or am I missing something?

It's never meant anything

Nicholas
Mar 7, 2001

On one hand, its insane to think that they are still raising money at the rate they claim. On the other hand, they are some how still operating after 5+ years of insanely frivolous spending on world wide offices, cars, vacations, furniture, outsourcing, mo-cap, hollywood actor salaries, etc... so who the gently caress knows

Rad Russian
Aug 15, 2007

Soviet Power Supreme!

spacetoaster posted:

Did the backers ask him why he spent $50,000 on that gaudy designer aluminum furniture?

Nicholas
Mar 7, 2001

Question... If renowned film writer and director, Chris Roberts, died, would he show up in the Oscars "celebrity death" compilation the following year?

Zzr
Oct 6, 2016

We wait for the [insert month] [insert year] blog post to confirm or deny this.

MinorInconvenience
Feb 24, 2017

peter gabriel posted:

It's never meant anything

As I suspected. It's gonna be so much fun to go through the company's financials once it declares bankruptcy and see how much of the "$144 million in funds raised!" is funny money.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Nicholas posted:

As stupid as the idea is, it's also funny that they're basically just ripping off Lostech from the Battletech IP in the most hamhanded and dumb way possible.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

peter gabriel posted:

I'm just guessing here but would 200 years ago be in the wing Commander timeline?

Yuuuuuup, although the SC timeline has the humans fighting the Tevarin around that point.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Yuuuuuup, although the SC timeline has the humans fighting the Tevarin around that point.

Not gonna lie I zoned out there after yup

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Beet Wagon posted:

As stupid as the idea is, it's also funny that they're basically just ripping off Lostech from the Battletech IP in the most hamhanded and dumb way possible.

IT IS A PARODY!!!!!!

Achamp
Oct 19, 2005
The two hhhwhat.... The two yutes your honor

spacetoaster posted:

I mean. I get the neckbearded flip flop fans up front. You know, legit Cymelion types.

Look at the kids in the back though. They could be high school or maybe 18-19 year old college kids. I have to assume their disposable income from retail jobs is being sapped for this project. I bet it works out well to have all the expensive furniture around and giant pictures. It definitely gives an aura off that Chris Roberts is the one true designer.

aleksendr
May 14, 2014

peter gabriel posted:

For me, well, I don't really care if they are 200 years old or whatever - it's more that it once more points to a total lack of creativity. It's just another tired old sci fi bullshit thing, like snarky computers or whatever. The old / futuristic thing is like sci fi's steampunk. It's lazy and poo poo.

Also a nice way to gently caress over one of the very basic rules of writing " Your story should take place at the most interesting period of your characters life". If they had to build such a specific frame (fighter with a corvette turret) for some reaons that Tevarin War sound more interesting than the current Vandull conflict.

Also good luck doing anything usefull with that T7 cannon and 200 ms ping.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

They mean that Everything Is Fine and you should feel comfortable giving them more money since clearly everyone else is!

Achamp
Oct 19, 2005
The two hhhwhat.... The two yutes your honor

The big question is how often it happens and in how much bulk. I'm not sure the black market could handle massive influxes of ships for sale. I think it's also interesting to know if they are giving the ships out to streamers, marketers, etc. at steep discounts and then counting them as sales. Hard to say what the total amount would add up to. It all feels a little Amway to me.

Virtual Captain
Feb 20, 2017

Archive Priest of the Stimperial Order

Star Citizen Good, in all things forevermore. Amen.
:pray:

Yes it's all bullshit but they're paying 350+ employees somehow. I have no doubt they have somekind of outside investment, and they probably use ship sales to show new investors that they are stable and have cashflow.

The only other explanation is that they spend very little on staff and are working from their warchest. Considering the janky quality of everything they put out, it's not completely impossible that the staff could be inexperienced budget hires.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Achamp posted:

I mean. I get the neckbearded flip flop fans up front. You know, legit Cymelion types.

Look at the kids in the back though. They could be high school or maybe 18-19 year old college kids. I have to assume their disposable income from retail jobs is being sapped for this project. I bet it works out well to have all the expensive furniture around and giant pictures. It definitely gives an aura off that Chris Roberts is the one true designer.

I'm guessing it's an org that's visiting.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

I usually don't laugh at these, but the Spanish Inquisition out of nowhere made me laugh.

More too because the guy is trying to be genuine with that.

Maybe next he can say: Know who else never met their release date? Hitler's German empire. And somehow shoehorn that into a Star Citizen defense strategy.

:lol:

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

DapperDon
Sep 7, 2016

This is some of the most blatant goal post moving I have ever seen from those broken headed autists. Autist makes bullshit claim about purchase with bad math. Goon proves autist wrong with photographic direct link proving autist math is broken. Autistic shrieking about WHERE on the planet the purchase was made ensues. This guy needs meds and a counseling and a good 30 days of internet downtime.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

DapperDon posted:

This is some of the most blatant goal post moving I have ever seen from those broken headed autists. Autist makes bullshit claim about purchase with bad math. Goon proves autist wrong with photographic direct link proving autist math is broken. Autistic shrieking about WHERE on the planet the purchase was made ensues. This guy needs meds and a counseling and a good 30 days of internet downtime.

Well to be fair, they've done worse than that. I mean, think about it, if I posted that it was raining in FL and one of those knuckelheads walks outside (in FL) and saw/felt it raining, he would post that it wasn't actually raining because the Sun was also shining.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MinorInconvenience
Feb 24, 2017

Achamp posted:

The big question is how often it happens and in how much bulk. I'm not sure the black market could handle massive influxes of ships for sale. I think it's also interesting to know if they are giving the ships out to streamers, marketers, etc. at steep discounts and then counting them as sales. Hard to say what the total amount would add up to. It all feels a little Amway to me.

Well, there is this individual over at the sc trading subreddit who has posted literally 100s of threads (over the course of the past year) called "Central Shipyard", in which multiples of nearly every ship in the game are being offered for sale. Looks kinda suspicious to me.

Edit: Fixed poor grammar.

MinorInconvenience fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Feb 27, 2017