Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

It's a problem you think we need to explain ourselves.
See you down in Arizona bay

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

literally this big
Jan 10, 2007

Here comes
the Squirtle Squad!

obi_ant posted:

Overall I'm hoping for the market to beat 1.6% (the APR for my savings account) in the next five years. Any thoughts?

Do you bank with Ally? I just opened an 1.6% savings account with them and couldn't find much better than that. PNC Bank offers 1.9% (which might be worth considering) and Vio offers a 2.05% (which would definitely be worth considering), but both also had lots of red flags when I was researching them. In term of FDIC coverage, Wealthfront seems to have the best offer at 1.82, though bonds, CDs, or a money market account might beat that with some added risk.

There are also some high yield savings accounts that offer 4-5%, but you're limited to $1-2k per account. I've found you can get about 5% on $9k, but those rates aren't guaranteed and the $9k limit might be an insignificant portion of your savings.

Another "safe" place I've been considering storing my spare (non-emergency) cash is Vanguard's Target Retirement Income fund. 70% bonds / 30% stock. Seems like a good way to both preserve and grow value over time, and it's lower $1k minimum is good for me. But I'd need to research it a bit more before taking the leap.

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

doingitwrong posted:

If you just wanna beat 1.6%, there are CDs and bonds that will beat that. So the question is: by how much do you want to beat it and at how much risk?

I have been wondering a similar thing and looking at some of the lower risk bond ETFs or the ETFs that track various high dividend stocks, or preferred shares portfolios.

PGX is a well-regarded example of the latter which offers a 5.31 yield. Smaller swings than the overall stock market.
TLT tracks long term treasury bonds with a 2.27 yield and even smaller swings.

As some examples.

I'm willing to take risks in the market, but most of my investing experience comes from investing in the long term (20+ years); since 5 years is my current window, I'm not too confident with my choices.

I'm taking a glance at VSPGX and the fund seems like it's up my alley. Vanguard classifies this as a level 4, I think I'm looking for something within the 3-4 range. Maybe I'll look into getting a mix of 3 and 4.

literally this big posted:

Do you bank with Ally? I just opened an 1.6% savings account with them and couldn't find much better than that. PNC Bank offers 1.9% (which might be worth considering) and Vio offers a 2.05% (which would definitely be worth considering), but both also had lots of red flags when I was researching them. In term of FDIC coverage, Wealthfront seems to have the best offer at 1.82, though bonds, CDs, or a money market account might beat that with some added risk.

There are also some high yield savings accounts that offer 4-5%, but you're limited to $1-2k per account. I've found you can get about 5% on $9k, but those rates aren't guaranteed and the $9k limit might be an insignificant portion of your savings.

Another "safe" place I've been considering storing my spare (non-emergency) cash is Vanguard's Target Retirement Income fund. 70% bonds / 30% stock. Seems like a good way to both preserve and grow value over time, and it's lower $1k minimum is good for me. But I'd need to research it a bit more before taking the leap.

I do bank with Ally. I stated the 1.60% because that is what they dropped to over the course of a few months and have been thinking I can do better than that. I've considered opening a bunch of CDs as well, but came to the conclusion that I'm okay with the risk and getting something better than a 1.6%-2% in the market is okay with me.

I currently have my Roth in a Vanguard Target Retirement Fund and it's a considerable chunk compared to my 401k. I guess I could just add more money into the target fund since it's considered a well diversified fund, but it also feels like I'm adding all my eggs into one basket.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Vanguard offers tax free bonds in some states like California and New York. Could be worth looking into those.

Kylaer
Aug 4, 2007
I'm SURE walking around in a respirator at all times in an (even more) OPEN BIDENing society is definitely not a recipe for disaster and anyone that's not cool with getting harassed by CHUDs are cave dwellers. I've got good brain!

obi_ant posted:

I currently have my Roth in a Vanguard Target Retirement Fund and it's a considerable chunk compared to my 401k. I guess I could just add more money into the target fund since it's considered a well diversified fund, but it also feels like I'm adding all my eggs into one basket.

I don't consider myself qualified to tell you how to invest with a discrete 5-year time horizon, but I can say that your gut feeling here is completely wrong. You cannot get any more diversified than a Vanguard target retirement fund, since it holds every available asset class (except muni bonds, but nobody would ever hold muni bonds in a tax advantaged account). You can decide to stray from Vanguard's chosen asset mix, and I do, but they are the very definition of diversified.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

eh, I don't think vanguard target funds are holding e.g. commodities, forex, or real estate, although they're indirectly exposed to those things via the assets they do hold.

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

Kylaer posted:

I don't consider myself qualified to tell you how to invest with a discrete 5-year time horizon, but I can say that your gut feeling here is completely wrong. You cannot get any more diversified than a Vanguard target retirement fund, since it holds every available asset class (except muni bonds, but nobody would ever hold muni bonds in a tax advantaged account). You can decide to stray from Vanguard's chosen asset mix, and I do, but they are the very definition of diversified.

That makes sense. I suppose if I'm happy with my current return in my 401k I can look at other Target Funds.

Minty Swagger
Sep 8, 2005

Ribbit Ribbit Real Good
I've got ~$12.00 in my IRA from some interest I got when I was doing my first Backdoor Roth last year for 2018 and 2019. If I drop in $6,000 today and move the whole thing over ($6012.xx)to my roth I just owe taxes on that $12.00 still right? Just want to keep that 6K safe.

Thanks!

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

Minty Swagger posted:

I've got ~$12.00 in my IRA from some interest I got when I was doing my first Backdoor Roth last year for 2018 and 2019. If I drop in $6,000 today and move the whole thing over ($6012.xx)to my roth I just owe taxes on that $12.00 still right? Just want to keep that 6K safe.

Thanks!
If you want, you can just convert the $12 now and pay the, like, $3 taxes on it.

Minty Swagger
Sep 8, 2005

Ribbit Ribbit Real Good
So just do 2 separate rollovers? One to clear it, and then one to handle the 6K?

Does that make the form 8606 a pain in the rear end? I'm new to this as in that I havent actually filed for the work I did (correctly I hope) last year, so I havent touched the forms yet. I use fidelity so I'm hoping it just pipes into turbotax or whatever natively.

Thanks again!

EDIT: VVVVV you're right and I understand, just used the wrong terminology. Thanks!

Minty Swagger fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Jan 4, 2020

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

Minty Swagger posted:

So just do 2 separate rollovers? One to clear it, and then one to handle the 6K?

Does that make the form 8606 a pain in the rear end? I'm new to this as in that I havent actually filed for the work I did (correctly I hope) last year, so I havent touched the forms yet. I use fidelity so I'm hoping it just pipes into turbotax or whatever natively.

Thanks again!
Yes, though I'll clarify that "rollover" is an account to account transfer that preserves the type (Traditional or Roth) and a "conversion" is changing the type from Traditional to Roth. You'll be doing the latter in both cases. I'm unsure of the exact paperwork involved but your brokerage will provide you all of the supporting documentation you need to file properly.

Ancillary Character
Jul 25, 2007
Going about life as if I were a third-tier ancillary character
I've been back and forth this weekend on whether to continue with my backdoor Roth or start making deductible Traditional IRA contributions. This will be the first year that I won't have any 1099 income, so I will no longer be able to contribute to my Solo 401k, which removes the income limit on deducting IRA contributions. I also do not get any sort of retirement benefits through work and it's unlikely I'd ever get them with different employers in the future unless I start my own business with one. I'm projecting to have more than $6k in the 32% federal tax bracket, so it makes sense to do Traditional, right?

I guess the risk is that I do end up getting an unexpected workplace retirement plan and have to convert all those contributions later (potentially paying greater than 32% if the tax cut have expired) in order to do more backdoor Roth contributions in the future. There's also the minor hassle of juggling ETFs between two separate accounts to try to minimize the amount of money I have left over in a cash position.

Harry
Jun 13, 2003

I do solemnly swear that in the year 2015 I will theorycraft my wallet as well as my WoW

Ancillary Character posted:

I've been back and forth this weekend on whether to continue with my backdoor Roth or start making deductible Traditional IRA contributions. This will be the first year that I won't have any 1099 income, so I will no longer be able to contribute to my Solo 401k, which removes the income limit on deducting IRA contributions. I also do not get any sort of retirement benefits through work and it's unlikely I'd ever get them with different employers in the future unless I start my own business with one. I'm projecting to have more than $6k in the 32% federal tax bracket, so it makes sense to do Traditional, right?

I guess the risk is that I do end up getting an unexpected workplace retirement plan and have to convert all those contributions later (potentially paying greater than 32% if the tax cut have expired) in order to do more backdoor Roth contributions in the future. There's also the minor hassle of juggling ETFs between two separate accounts to try to minimize the amount of money I have left over in a cash position.

You make the taxable election of the IRA on your tax return. So you can contribute to the IRA now, and wait until the end of the year to do the backdoor if you end up having a 401k option. You'll pay taxes on any gains, but even if the market skyrockets 15% that's still going to be like $360 taxes owed.

BRAKE FOR MOOSE
Jun 6, 2001

Not sure if this is the right thread, but I have a question about rebalancing ahead of big purchases.

Right now, my spouse and I are maxing our Roth IRAs and hitting employer match on 401k/403b accounts, and we've been throwing everything beyond that and our emergency fund into VASGX because :effort:. We've paid off all our debt. Now that we've found real jobs in our 30s and all of a sudden that taxable account is growing, we're thinking about buying property in the next couple years. I'm feeling like this current strategy is risky if we want money available for a down payment, but I'm also still waffling on whether we should take on that risk because we're not really dying to be homeowners. We live in Boston and our commute is a top of the top priority so we're not going to be able to buy anything under about $500K. We currently have $50K invested in the taxable account, and we'll be able to swing saving something in the ballpark of $35K/year. We have no intention of touching the money in the retirement accounts for this.

What would you do? Move everything to a high-yield savings account? Move part of it? Hold steady and hope very hard?

BRAKE FOR MOOSE fucked around with this message at 02:26 on Jan 6, 2020

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

BRAKE FOR MOOSE posted:

Not sure if this is the right thread, but I have a question about rebalancing ahead of big purchases.

Right now, my spouse and I are maxing our Roth IRAs and hitting employer match on 401k/403b accounts, and we've been throwing everything beyond that and our emergency fund into VASGX because :effort:. We've paid off all our debt. Now that we've found real jobs in our 30s and all of a sudden that taxable account is growing, we're thinking about buying property in the next couple years. I'm feeling like this current strategy is risky if we want money available for a down payment, but I'm also still waffling on whether we should take on that risk because we're not really dying to be homeowners. We live in Boston and our commute is a top of the top priority so we're not going to be able to buy anything under about $500K. We currently have $50K invested in the taxable account, and we'll be able to swing saving something in the ballpark of $35K/year. We have no intention of touching the money in the retirement accounts for this.

What would you do? Move everything to a high-yield savings account? Move part of it? Hold steady and hope very hard?

I'm in the same situation as you, look about 15 posts back.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

BRAKE FOR MOOSE posted:

Right now, my spouse and I are maxing our Roth IRAs and hitting employer match on 401k/403b accounts, and we've been throwing everything beyond that and our emergency fund into VASGX because :effort:.

Is there a reason you are putting money in a taxable account while leaving tax advantaged space on the table?

spwrozek fucked around with this message at 17:21 on Jan 6, 2020

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Phone issues...

BRAKE FOR MOOSE
Jun 6, 2001

spwrozek posted:

Is there a reason you are putting money in a taxable account while leaving tax advantaged space on the table?

My understanding is that the early withdrawal penalties from a 401k would be greater than the tax hit in the brokerage account...

drainpipe
May 17, 2004

AAHHHHHHH!!!!

BRAKE FOR MOOSE posted:

My understanding is that the early withdrawal penalties from a 401k would be greater than the tax hit in the brokerage account...

There are ways around that: https://www.madfientist.com/how-to-access-retirement-funds-early/. Take a look at the Roth conversion ladder specifically.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.

BRAKE FOR MOOSE posted:

Yeah, you wouldn't want to do this. The question would make sense if your taxable account were being considered a retirement fund, in which case you're a giant idiot.

On the other hand, if your taxable account is for a down payment then it makes sense.

If we're to say that you're targeting 100k for a down payment then you can hit that in under two years at your current savings rate. Given that you're reluctant to buy a house/tiny room in a run down building for half a million bucks, you're not under any time pressure.

To me, it sounds like you two should first max out your tax advantaged space (I don't think your current RETIREMENT saving rate, i.e. Roth IRA + 401k/403b is high enough for your income level, do you?) and then think about what you want to do with the rest, whether that's VASGX, a bond fund, or even just high yield checking/CD ladders/otherwise safe spaces.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
What's the right way to think of a taxable account, once you've built up an adequate emergency fund? My wife and I are maxing our 403bs/457s/Roths and we're putting "extra" money for retirement in to a taxable account. I currently see that money as untouchable.

We have a decently sized emergency fund, but we'll need to buy a new car in the middle of 2021 or so. I've been saving money for the car in the same high yield savings account that we have our emergency fund in, but should I instead be putting the extra money in to the brokerage account, then selling investments/paying long term capital gains in order to buy a car?

Residency Evil fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Jan 6, 2020

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

Residency Evil posted:

What's the right way to think of a taxable account, once you've built up an adequate emergency fund? My wife and I are maxing our 403bs/457s/Roths and we're putting "extra" money for retirement in to a taxable account. I currently see that money as untouchable.

We have a decently sized emergency fund, but we'll need to buy a new car in the middle of 2021 or so. I've been saving money for the car in the same high yield savings account that we have our emergency fund in, but should I instead be putting the extra money in to the brokerage account, then selling investments/paying long term capital gains in order to buy a car?
This is really 100% up to you. Some people are comfortable with the risk and like moving short-term savings into their taxable brokerage and working from there. Others just intermingle their short-term savings with their e-fund and keep the taxable brokerage for more long-term goals. I personally fall into the latter, with an eye towards knowing that if I absolutely had a catastrophic event that my nominal savings wouldn't cover that I could poach the taxable brokerage for assets.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Residency Evil posted:

For you, as someone who makes enough money in a week to put a down payment on a financed car? Yes sure.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Chu020 posted:

You're missing mid cap, but that's like 4% of a total stock market index so meh. You could probably do 82% VFIAX and 18% VSMAX and call it a day.

Source: https://www.bogleheads.org/wiki/Approximating_total_stock_market

Awesome, thanks! I tweaked slightly to more VSGAX but upped the VFIAX contributions.

Kylaer
Aug 4, 2007
I'm SURE walking around in a respirator at all times in an (even more) OPEN BIDENing society is definitely not a recipe for disaster and anyone that's not cool with getting harassed by CHUDs are cave dwellers. I've got good brain!
The best way to think of a taxable account is :smaug:

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

totalnewbie posted:

Yeah, you wouldn't want to do this. The question would make sense if your taxable account were being considered a retirement fund, in which case you're a giant idiot.

On the other hand, if your taxable account is for a down payment then it makes sense.

If we're to say that you're targeting 100k for a down payment then you can hit that in under two years at your current savings rate. Given that you're reluctant to buy a house/tiny room in a run down building for half a million bucks, you're not under any time pressure.

To me, it sounds like you two should first max out your tax advantaged space (I don't think your current RETIREMENT saving rate, i.e. Roth IRA + 401k/403b is high enough for your income level, do you?) and then think about what you want to do with the rest, whether that's VASGX, a bond fund, or even just high yield checking/CD ladders/otherwise safe spaces.

This was basically what I was getting at. So thanks for replying better than me.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Kylaer posted:

The best way to think of a taxable account is :smaug:

We talking /r/wallstreetbets?

Kylaer
Aug 4, 2007
Not me, I'm almost pure index funds except for half a dozen shares of Costco that I bought essentially as a joke.

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

:hampants::hampants::hampants:

Kylaer posted:

Not me, I'm almost pure index funds except for half a dozen shares of Costco that I bought essentially as a joke.

Low prices and unbeatable value are no laughing matter, friend.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Kylaer posted:

Costco is definitely winning at playing the game of joke investments.

literally this big
Jan 10, 2007

Here comes
the Squirtle Squad!
In the not-so-distant cyberpunk future, where large corporations rule the world, I want to be on Team Costco.

BRAKE FOR MOOSE
Jun 6, 2001

totalnewbie posted:

We're at around 17% of income invested into the retirement funds, which could be better, but with home savings as an additional goal I thought that was okay. I do think that investing $51K/yr is more than we would need invested to sustain our lifestyles in retirement (and we're unlikely to have any desire to retire early).

BRAKE FOR MOOSE fucked around with this message at 06:19 on Jan 7, 2020

Doccykins
Feb 21, 2006

In the not-so-distant cyberpunk future, where large corporations rule the world, I want to be on Team Costco.

sorry the teams are all owned by the same british crisp company

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"

Welcome to Costco, I love you.

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

BRAKE FOR MOOSE posted:

We're at around 17% of income invested into the retirement funds, which could be better, but with home savings as an additional goal I thought that was okay. I do think that investing $51K/yr is more than we would need invested to sustain our lifestyles in retirement (and we're unlikely to have any desire to retire early).
The other benefit to saving more earlier is that you need to save less overall to hit your target. It lets you ease off the savings gas later in your life if you feel like it (or - also possible - because you have to). If you can afford to save more now, it's a good idea to.

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit

Kylaer posted:

This is me, everything in ETFs except for two dozen shares of some garbage corp nobody likes

Adhemar
Jan 21, 2004

Kellner, da ist ein scheussliches Biest in meiner Suppe.
The hate hedge.

drainpipe
May 17, 2004

AAHHHHHHH!!!!

Hoodwinker posted:

The other benefit to saving more earlier is that you need to save less overall to hit your target. It lets you ease off the savings gas later in your life if you feel like it (or - also possible - because you have to). If you can afford to save more now, it's a good idea to.

On top of this, when you're young is also when saving a lot is the least painful since you do not have many responsibilities in terms of feeding/clothing kids or maintaining property.

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

drainpipe posted:

On top of this, when you're young is also when saving a lot is the least painful since you do not have many responsibilities in terms of feeding/clothing kids or maintaining property.
In my mind, the default position should be to save. Save as much as you can, as early as you can, as often as you can. Then, as you have deliberate reasons to reduce savings (having a child means your cost of living went up, choosing to increase cost of living by moving to a HCOL area), you can do so knowing that you've already given yourself a head start.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kylaer
Aug 4, 2007

please knock Mom! posted:

This is me, everything in ETFs except for two dozen shares of some garbage corp nobody likes

Do you mean garbage as in they're a bad company, or are they literally a garbage company like Waste Management (whose logo I always think looks suspiciously like Weyland-Yutani's)?