Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Does this suggest anything about the future of Arc?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Cygni posted:

He’s supposedly going to do some gaming AI thing, which I can only assume means he’s gonna train an AI to automatically produce even more or those insane “caught my husband cheating” mobile games.

https://twitter.com/rajaxg/status/1638236242537250816?s=46&t=cj0103ZhjrzDsJf6X4zTug

I don't understand why so many of them involve sniffing farts, can an AI explain that?

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Rinkles posted:

I've a feeling add-in cards might get backseated but I don't see them leaving the discrete mobile graphics space any time soon.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

lol that Raja finally ran out of massive hardware companies to keep falling upwards into that now he’s just going directly for vulture capitalist money to keep him afloat. Why make anything at all and still get paid??

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
People poo poo on Raja but the Arc cards are pretty decent hardware for their price. The software is the exact standard of software that Intel has delivered for their own branded motherboards and other non-CPU components that they ship to consumers. Intel has always developed flukey drivers with weird installers so straight out of 1997 that you expect a low-resolution RealVideo to play during the install. Nothing new there.

It's the same case with AMD. The RX400/500 cards sold very well for AMD, despite the initial "it draws so much power my PCI slot to shoot sparks" reports at launch (a trend that was more of a harbinger for the entire industry post-1080 than anything else). The drivers are bad, but that's been more or less the case since AMD was ATI. Windows driver signatures means Radeon can no longer depend on the free labor of Omega Drivers and similar projects to make the drivers their paid employees should make but can't. In Linuxland, Radeon is still popular because people can use their spare time to do a better job than the people ex-ATI actually pay for. Again, nothing new there.

Beef
Jul 26, 2004
Raja was already replaced a couple of months ago. Note that Pat did not have to announce a successor.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Craptacular! posted:

People poo poo on Raja but the Arc cards are pretty decent hardware for their price. The software is the exact standard of software that Intel has delivered for their own branded motherboards and other non-CPU components that they ship to consumers. Intel has always developed flukey drivers with weird installers so straight out of 1997 that you expect a low-resolution RealVideo to play during the install. Nothing new there.

I dunno about that, it seems there are several hardware issues that are probably what is crippling the performance in many IRL scenarios. Mainly with memory bandwidth and multiply add operations, weirdly: https://chipsandcheese.com/2022/10/20/microbenchmarking-intels-arc-a770/

mdxi
Mar 13, 2006

to JERK OFF is to be close to GOD... only with SPURTING

Craptacular! posted:

People poo poo on Raja

I understand that he was a great engineer, but I think there's overwhelming evidence that he rose to his level of incompetence as a director of engineering teams.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

mdxi posted:

I understand that he was a great engineer, but I think there's overwhelming evidence that he rose to his level of incompetence as a director of engineering teams.

Failing upwards is the key to successful management progression.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

The Raja thing was weird. I felt that a lot of engineers really held their punches because BK and Murthy were dicking around making asses of themselves

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
fwiw, the arc 770 is a good card with massive issues and I blame Raja since it feels like an AMD cluster F

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Apparently even some new games, like Halo Infinite, are busted on Arcs.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Rinkles posted:

Apparently even some new games, like Halo Infinite, are busted on Arcs.

Everything is busted on them but when they work well, its pretty amazing for the price.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

WhyteRyce posted:

The Raja thing was weird. I felt that a lot of engineers really held their punches because BK and Murthy were dicking around making asses of themselves

He looks like a literal wizard

When people ask me what happened at Intel, I now just say "a decade of mismanagement"

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Rinkles posted:

MLID just dropped a video claiming Battlemage and Celestial are canceled except for one low-end die each (250mm2 and 180mm2), but apparently druid will still have a full 3-die lineup in 2027. it's MLID so who knows, but at face value that sounds like they're cutting it down to the bare minimum for the next 2 gens to keep brewing on a 5 year launch plan (which may well not happen if the next 2 gens don't show progress/promise). You don't want to kick the can and do it all over from scratch, or you'll be in the same mess again in 5 years. but, 5 years is also a long way off and if things don't start happening then druid could easily be canceled too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HzV1RS5Oc6I

honestly if they're essentially canceling revenue launch of battlemage/celestial it's somewhat surprising they are still pursuing dGPU development at all, these cancellations are what I was saying with the "they'll either kill it all soon or they're in it for the long haul", and if they were going to kill it then it wasn't going to be that long because the division was running literal -200% margins. I'm actually surprised they aren't just pulling the plug entirely because this is still a lot of cost.

tbh druid is probably on extremely thin ice at this point, they are one fuckup away from the whole program getting canned and intel graphics going back to being a display adapter.

and pat is NOT happy with raja's performance lol. not only did raja not get a dedicated sendoff email (was rolled into the overall newsletter) but look at all the positive things he said about him here:

worth noting: this is all EXACTLY three months since AXG was broken up (that was announced december 21st, literally three months on the nose). I bet Raja was on garden leave the whole time. That wasn't just demotion to go play with his toys, that was demotion to executive vice president of "stop touching poo poo and go sit in the corner while we try to fix this". just like Vega.

honestly you can view the willingness to embrace a 5-year plan on uncertain hardware as being Pat is so pissed with Raja that he's redoing the whole thing without him, both in the "he gets no credit for this" and having the chance to undo any bad decisions raja and his crew may have made...

I really think AMD made out really well getting Raja and Chris Hook and some of these other clowns out the door, not that RTG has been flawless since then but obviously they haven't performed well at Intel either.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 07:24 on Mar 22, 2023

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

The announcement emails are my favorite form of tea leaf reading / office gossip. Even if you get fired or pushed out you still often get a flowery “we will miss you here is a list of all your accomplishments” email. You have to extremely piss off your bosses to not get poo poo.

One of my favorites was BKs personal HR henchman getting fired shortly after BK getting axed and getting a cold “replaced effective immediately” email. I really didn’t like that guy

WhyteRyce fucked around with this message at 06:57 on Mar 22, 2023

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

WhyteRyce posted:

The announcement emails are my favorite form of tea leaf reading / office gossip. Even if you get fired or pushed out you still often get a flowery “we will miss you here is a list of all your accomplishments” email. You have to extremely piss off your bosses to not get poo poo.

"Also Dave won't be here, anyways the water cooler is now for revenue generating conversations only"

Is a great sendoff after 5+ years and 10+ bil in R&D.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Methylethylaldehyde posted:

"Also Dave won't be here, anyways the water cooler is now for revenue generating conversations only"

Is a great sendoff after 5+ years and 10+ bil in R&D.

also we are excited to announce that our cafeteria "bring your own fruit to work" program will be extended throughout the work week

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Between AMD for CPUs and NVIDIA for accelerators Intel is kinda hosed for cloud (excuse me, “data center and ai”), no?

If Intel stops even trying for GPU (like accelerators)… well I guess investors can’t be even angrier.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

hobbesmaster posted:

Between AMD for CPUs and NVIDIA for accelerators Intel is kinda hosed for cloud (excuse me, “data center and ai”), no?

If Intel stops even trying for GPU (like accelerators)… well I guess investors can’t be even angrier.

Investors will be happy because it’s a money-losing group and now that money can go towards stock buybacks/dividend payments!

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.
raja more like haha

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Paul MaudDib posted:

also we are excited to announce that our cafeteria "bring your own fruit to work" program will be extended throughout the work week

BK's personal corporate henchman got the same boot out no email treatment. One of the things I really didn't like about that guy was how he handled the cafeteria discussions. After they raised salad bar prices they put out an internal advertising campaign that highlighted the salad bar now had things like tiger shrimp and that they still charge less per weight than Whole Foods

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Yet a simple turkey, cheese, lettuce with 2 slices of bread sandwich cost $7.65 even back then. That's when I started bringing my own drat sandwiches for like 75 cents each.

The tacos were good bang for the buck if I happened to forget a lunch.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

WhyteRyce posted:

BK's personal corporate henchman got the same boot out no email treatment. One of the things I really didn't like about that guy was how he handled the cafeteria discussions. After they raised salad bar prices they put out an internal advertising campaign that highlighted the salad bar now had things like tiger shrimp and that they still charge less per weight than Whole Foods

Despite the cafeteria meals costing slightly more than you'd want to pay, the cafe service contractor claims they can't make enough money off of food sales and require a sizable subsidy. Their only real cost is labor, everything else is either not their cost (prep/serving space, kitchen equipment, dishes and fixtures) or a straight passthrough (food costs, repairs, maintenance).

When COVID happened and sites were restricted to essential onsite personnel (factory people and in-person lab techs), the service volume for cafes went down a lot. The subsidy would have needed to be so much of the total cost that Intel instead just decided to pay the whole thing and have no employee cost. That was meant to continue when people came back to office but then welp all the money was gone :shrug:

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

It is extremely funny how many times cafeterias and discount snacks have come up in this thread. Frankly with the death of moore's law, I can absolutly see those sorts of perks getting wiped out in the tech industry like they have for everyone else.

But i fully support workers fighting the good fight for perks as long as they can.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

look I'm just mad they took away the mini vegetarian taco salad for $4 and the $1.50 demi sandwich that was basically just a small baguette with a single thin slice of meat and single leaf of lettuce I wasn't asking for much

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Cygni posted:

It is extremely funny how many times cafeterias and discount snacks have come up in this thread. Frankly with the death of moore's law, I can absolutly see those sorts of perks getting wiped out in the tech industry like they have for everyone else.

But i fully support workers fighting the good fight for perks as long as they can.

The thing is people get very attached to that kind of stuff and long term you can save a lot on retention-related costs, and probably even salary costs, by subsiding that poo poo and keeping people happy day to day. But it's better to be penny-wise and make your budget cutting and move on, despite it being so pound foolish.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Lockback posted:

The thing is people get very attached to that kind of stuff and long term you can save a lot on retention-related costs, and probably even salary costs, by subsiding that poo poo and keeping people happy day to day. But it's better to be penny-wise and make your budget cutting and move on, despite it being so pound foolish.

I knew a couple of guys for whom the straw that broke the camel's back was the company ending the free coffee and hot choco machines in the pantry. hope it was worth saving the concessionaire charge on that!!!

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Generally companies or departments cutting the office supply budget is a harbinger of more bad things to come

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Lockback posted:

WhyteRyce posted:

Generally companies or departments cutting the office supply budget is a harbinger of more bad things to come

Yeah, both very astute observations.

It's been talked to death, but those kind of moves scream of the ascension of beancounters over "product people", to use Steve Jobsian terminology. Is the purpose of that individual department or subunit to squeeze its line items and develop a profitable ROI on a balance sheet, or is it to produce the best possible products in part by attracting and retaining the best possible product producers? One is more desirable in a quarter by quarter view, the other more desirable in a decade by decade view.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

WhyteRyce posted:

Smaller company, but one place I worked axed the free coffee for everyone (in a tech company!). Next month they stopped paying on time. Month after that the paychecks bounced. Month after that they silently cancelled everyone's health insurance (as in my wife went in for something and they were like 'nope, sorry, your Blue Cross card is no good any more'). So yeahhh not a good sign.

wemgo
Feb 15, 2007
Enron had all benefits in place up until the day it failed. Many companies go through lean times, but it doesnt mean they’re doomed. Intel may be hemorrhaging money, but they’re still have a sizable market share and the advantage of being an American company during a significant rise in global economic protectionism.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

wemgo posted:

Enron had all benefits in place up until the day it failed. Many companies go through lean times, but it doesnt mean they’re doomed. Intel may be hemorrhaging money, but they’re still have a sizable market share and the advantage of being an American company during a significant rise in global economic protectionism.

My response is more to the post about people leaving because of coffee than about Intel. I read some post somewhere from some one who works office supplies and they said any decently sized organization can get coffee tossed in for almost nothing on top of their typical boring but necessary office supply order. So if that stuff starts disappearing then someone did something to piss off or short change their supplier hence it being a canary type deal

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

The secret to justifying budget items was always claim it was safety related. If you called it legal compliance you had better have receipts, but you could BS most anything with a nebulous definition of "safety".

That's one thing I always respected about Intel culture was that health and safety was a real priority. Some of the specific practices that came from it after running it through the corporate bureaucracy were pretty funny though. Some highlights:
Ladder Jail
A full, 100% ban on metal ladders on campus for employees and contractors due to electrical hazard concerns. On any site doing lots of construction, you'll see a locked and fenced in "ladder jail". If you're a construction worker caught with a metal ladder on site, it would be confiscated, locked up in ladder jail and you or your employer would be given a receipt and instructions on how to reclaim your contraband ladder. Must be a pain to get back, because a whole lot of ladders just got left there to be eventually donated or something.
Had a construction project in Egypt where the contractors had either metal or wooden ladders, both of which were not allowed. Ended up having to ship in a bunch of fiberglass ladders from Italy at great expense for the construction workers to use, presumably while rolling their eyes the whole time.

SMBWA - Safety Management By Walking Around
As a manager in a manufacturing site, you are responsible for the safety of everyone around you. So, take a few minutes to walk the floor and address any unsafe practices you see. You're then supposed to brag about it to your own manager in your next meeting if you found something and corrected it, a so-called "good catch". These are shared in staff meetings. This principle applies not just in manufacturing spaces, but across the whole site. So if you are an office dweller, you may be called out on the spot and "coached" by someone you've never met before if they see you doing something unsafe. This includes having a shoe untied, not using the handrail on the stairs, holding too many things in your hands on the stairs, walking up or down the wrong side of the staircase (keep right and no passing!), skipping steps on the staircase, not having a lid on your beverage cup, looking at your phone while walking, sitting at an improperly adjusted desk or chair, or using your laptop's touchpad instead of an external mouse.
Your first reaction to being "coached" might be to ignore it or snap back and tell them to mind their own business. This could be a career limiting move, after all, you have no idea who this person is. The smart thing is to just nod and say thank you.

The Extraction Team
If you're an employee on business travel and your situation becomes unsafe, there's contact information provided for emergency aid. Perhaps there's geopolitical unrest, you're being threatened with unjust imprisonment, the local government is not allowing you to leave the country, riots, terrorist attack, etc. If needed, they'll send the private security commandos out to come extract you. It's happened before, and not even exclusively for the executive types.
I know of at least one case where in the US, an employee needed help escaping an abusive domestic situation. HR and security coordinated to get the employee out and moved to an entirely different state. Went to work one morning, never came home to the abuser. The company paid and arranged to covertly relocate the employee and make them disappear from the abuser, a sort of private-sector version of witness protection. Again, this person was not an exec/VIP/whatever, just a regular schmo that the company was doing the right thing for.

COVID protocols
They were absolutely militant about this. It was great. They even had us work-from-home office drones take home a monitor and nice office chair (Steelcase Leap or equivalent) and provided an extra several hundred dollar stipend to buy an adjustable desk. When it was time to come back to the office they told everyone to just keep it, not wanting to inventory/catalog/clean the goonlair chairs that people had spent 18 months farting on.

Gyrotica
Nov 26, 2012

Grafted to machines your builders did not understand.

canyoneer posted:

The Extraction Team
If you're an employee on business travel and your situation becomes unsafe, there's contact information provided for emergency aid. Perhaps there's geopolitical unrest, you're being threatened with unjust imprisonment, the local government is not allowing you to leave the country, riots, terrorist attack, etc. If needed, they'll send the private security commandos out to come extract you. It's happened before, and not even exclusively for the executive types.
I know of at least one case where in the US, an employee needed help escaping an abusive domestic situation. HR and security coordinated to get the employee out and moved to an entirely different state. Went to work one morning, never came home to the abuser. The company paid and arranged to covertly relocate the employee and make them disappear from the abuser, a sort of private-sector version of witness protection. Again, this person was not an exec/VIP/whatever, just a regular schmo that the company was doing the right thing for.

Thank you for my next Shadowrun campaign.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Folsom campus had a bunch of adult sized tricycles corralled in the back lot behind a shed. I assume it’s the cousin of the ladder jail

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Also our lab would have failed any safety audit. We used to leave our oscopes sitting on lab chairs because we had no where on the racks to put them

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

https://twitter.com/sprayoncopper/status/1639073163563679745

They should put slots on the package for RAM, and maybe some slots for peripherals. Maybe some direct storage connectors too. Hm

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
:stare: good gravy

My ears hurt already from the fans in the PDK for that bad boy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

canyoneer posted:

or using your laptop's touchpad instead of an external mouse.

okay this has got to be like "not ergonomic" level of unsafe, right?