Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

lazerwolf posted:

Why is good label design so hard for breweries?

Good label design is hard for everybody. Graphic design is a matter of talent, the expense of a good designer isn't something that's necessarily going to be recouped. So you wind up with stuff like Wyerbacher's infamously bad label for Hops Infusion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Funky Bottoms is a land man

ChickenArise posted:

I'm so jealous that you got to go to that show.

seen them a bunch of times and it was definitely the weakest set i've witnessed, but then again the new album is my least-favorite non-EP release of theirs. not much variation on the tour so far and they played a bunch of songs i've heard live before, definitely not the transcendent experience i've come to expect.

/end non-beer chat

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

Cervixalot posted:

To add the Maine beer chat from a few pages ago, I found a week old bottle of Lunch on shelves in Chicago yesterday and found it totally worth the price. That's a delicious IPA, and was incredible to enjoy outside on my patio last night.

What are everyone's thoughts on Goose Island Casimir? I had it on draft last night and found it odd but good - a smoked Polish wheat beer with some wood notes.

Honestly basically nothing from Maine has *blown me away*, especially for the price. Mean Old Tom, I think, was a pretty good porter? The rest was forgettable. It's all good stuff, but I can get just as good locals for cheaper.

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

I have a pretty fucking good palate, passed BJCP and level 2 cicerone which is more than half of you dudes can say, so I don't give a hoot anymore about this toxic community.

air- posted:

Weird, I thought that was supposed to be a nonpaywalled link...

http://online.wsj.com/news/articles/SB10001424052702304655304579547632772245734

If you google the title, you can pull it up that way too. Basically they will charge according to package dimensions as well as weight.

http://www.consumerist.com/2014/05/07/fedex-to-start-charging-by-package-size/

Thanks for the effort in finding another link, I am an idiot for not thinking of that.

Edit: Mean Old Tom is a stout with vanilla bean, their porter is King Titus. King Titus is the only Maine beer I would consider buying again.

lazerwolf
Dec 22, 2009

Orange and Black

Phanatic posted:

Good label design is hard for everybody. Graphic design is a matter of talent, the expense of a good designer isn't something that's necessarily going to be recouped. So you wind up with stuff like Wyerbacher's infamously bad label for Hops Infusion.

I'm no graphic designer but I know not to use Comic Sans ever.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

Eejit posted:

How about the dudes that buy the hugely marked up beer on Craigslist? These are the people creating the demand in the first place. I'd ask what's wrong with them as well.

Was at my local Binny's a few weeks ago and overheard one of their beer guys talking to a customer about "rare" things. The employee admitted to the customer that he had bought a few extra Proprietor's to sell on Craigslist. The customer said he managed to get one but- even though he admitted to not having tried the beer yet- said he was going to do the same. Employee actually told the guy he should be able to get $150 for it.

There's so much wrong with that, but I'll just focus on: who the gently caress is paying $75- let alone $150!- for Prop? Who are the people who pay $75 for loving Dark Lord? These people apparently exist and I want to slap them all.

Quarterroys
Jul 1, 2008

Midorka posted:

Thanks for the effort in finding another link, I am an idiot for not thinking of that.

Edit: Mean Old Tom is a stout with vanilla bean, their porter is King Titus. King Titus is the only Maine beer I would consider buying again.

King Titus is pretty great, probably my other favorite Maine beer. My craft beer luddite Father-in-Law only drinks Porters and Yuengling, and loved King Titus when I brought him one a few months ago. I've spoiled him on Porters by bringing him a sixer of Edmund Fitzgerald every time we visit since he can't get it in Tennessee.

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Who will win the greatest battle of them all?

danbanana posted:

There's so much wrong with that, but I'll just focus on: who the gently caress is paying $75- let alone $150!- for Prop? Who are the people who pay $75 for loving Dark Lord? These people apparently exist and I want to slap them all.

The only circumstances I'd be ok dropping that kind of cash on beer are for vintage bottles of Belgian stuff stateside. I'd be willing to pony up on some of the stuff I've seen at Bottleworks/Brouwer's or Torst (wish I would luck out when Blabaer is there, no hesitation on that).

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

lazerwolf posted:

I still can't decide if Russian River is trolling with their proudly Comic Sans-filled labels or Vinnie legitimately thought it looked good at one point and now they're stuck with it. "We present to you some of the finest beer produced anywhere in the world... covered with loving Comic Sans."

SUPER HASSLER
Jan 31, 2005

Not to blame the victim, but Cantillon is the only brewery I've visited where you walk right by the bottles currently being conditioned as part of the tours, which are mostly self-guided. These bottles are also in a dark corridor where it's easy to be alone in. Robbery would be a cinch there sadly.

RocketMermaid
Mar 30, 2004

My pronouns are She/Heir.

Cervixalot posted:

What are everyone's thoughts on Goose Island Casimir? I had it on draft last night and found it odd but good - a smoked Polish wheat beer with some wood notes.

Holy poo poo, where did you find that? That was a Fulton & Wood beer I helped develop in late 2012, I'm surprised it's still out there. I'd love to go back and revisit it.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

air- posted:

The only circumstances I'd be ok dropping that kind of cash on beer are for vintage bottles of Belgian stuff stateside. I'd be willing to pony up on some of the stuff I've seen at Bottleworks/Brouwer's or Torst (wish I would luck out when Blabaer is there, no hesitation on that).

I get why you'd spend that kind of money on a beer. But the Craigslist market is something completely different: it's a market for people who were told- sometimes by Binny's employees!- that beer is now collectible so they buy stuff and then expect to make lots of money on it without actually knowing anything about beer. But the big question is who's buying that stuff? I kind of hope it's idiots who think a 2014 Dark Lord is worth $75 now and therefore $100 next year and $150 in 2016 and...

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

I have a pretty fucking good palate, passed BJCP and level 2 cicerone which is more than half of you dudes can say, so I don't give a hoot anymore about this toxic community.

lazerwolf posted:

I find it interesting how vehemently defend Russian River for using Comic Sans and MS Paint Labels with an argument of, essentially, "who gives a poo poo." Now I will still drink their beer, it's great, but I'm not going to pretend that the labels aren't pretty awful.

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

Craigslist beer sellers are a level of subhuman somewhere below mybeercellar sellers.

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

a worthy uhh posted:

Craigslist beer sellers are a level of subhuman somewhere below mybeercellar sellers.

Whether it's moral or not, if I got a bottle of Pappy or any sought after beer I'd have a really hard time drinking it knowing that I could make enough money off of it to buy a case of something I could enjoy much longer. I'm not saying I would sell the beer/bourbon, but gently caress with Pappy bottles going for 3 times the mark-up you can't really blame the sellers. The sellers only have a market because people are finding $75 Dark Lord bottles to be a worthy buy.

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

Midorka posted:

The sellers only have a market because people are finding $75 Dark Lord bottles to be a worthy buy.

Yeah, exactly. I find the people who buy off craigslist or mybeercellar to be far more disgusting. The sellers are just separating fools from their money.

Quarterroys
Jul 1, 2008

Ubik posted:

Holy poo poo, where did you find that? That was a Fulton & Wood beer I helped develop in late 2012, I'm surprised it's still out there. I'd love to go back and revisit it.

Riverview Tavern in Roscoe Village, at the corner of Roscoe and Damen. They hosted an event called Festibarrel earlier this year with some good barrel-aged drafts, and occasionally have some pretty cool stuff on tap.

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.

Midorka posted:

Whether it's moral or not, if I got a bottle of Pappy or any sought after beer I'd have a really hard time drinking it knowing that I could make enough money off of it to buy a case of something I could enjoy much longer. I'm not saying I would sell the beer/bourbon, but gently caress with Pappy bottles going for 3 times the mark-up you can't really blame the sellers. The sellers only have a market because people are finding $75 Dark Lord bottles to be a worthy buy.

I guess I get it...but thats not why I got x beer or my pappy. I have a friend who makes like half of his income via ebay sales and we have butted heads over reselling stuff before, it just appears to not be in my nature.

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

You're not going to fall rear end backward into Pappy or Prop though. You won't be in a position of 'gee, what should I do with this?' because you're intentionally putting in effort to obtain it. If you're buying it, you're buying it to drink or to sell. If it's to sell, you're a shitlord.

Quarterroys
Jul 1, 2008

a worthy uhh posted:

You're not going to fall rear end backward into Pappy or Prop though. You won't be in a position of 'gee, what should I do with this?' because you're intentionally putting in effort to obtain it. If you're buying it, you're buying it to drink or to sell. If it's to sell, you're a shitlord.

The Stubhub of beer.

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

a worthy uhh posted:

I see your point there, but a $75 bottle of Pappy fetches $250, or more, on CL. $250 buys a bottle of Woodford Reserve Single Barrel Double Oak, a bottle of Blanton's, and at least 3 cases of a good shelf beer. All for $75 that you initially invested. If the market is allowing it then why wouldn't the thought at least cross someone's mind?

crazyfish
Sep 19, 2002

SUPER HASSLER posted:

Not to blame the victim, but Cantillon is the only brewery I've visited where you walk right by the bottles currently being conditioned as part of the tours, which are mostly self-guided. These bottles are also in a dark corridor where it's easy to be alone in. Robbery would be a cinch there sadly.

From what I'm reading on other forums and on facebook, it sounds to me like JVR knows who the thief is and the particular bottles that were stolen were extremely high value, ludicrously rare top-of-whale-list-level beers, which I don't think would generally be found laying in the corridor. I know they do keep a lot of dusties in that hallway but I think the ones we were talking about are probably kept elsewhere.

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

"invested" is the key word. I don't buy beer as an investment. I could put half my cellar on MBC and make a shitload of money, but that's not what it's for.

lament.cfg fucked around with this message at 17:54 on May 9, 2014

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I, I took the one to Flavortown, and that has made all the difference.

Phanatic posted:

Good label design is hard for everybody. Graphic design is a matter of talent, the expense of a good designer isn't something that's necessarily going to be recouped. So you wind up with stuff like Wyerbacher's infamously bad label for Hops Infusion.s

I fixed that for you. Their entire line has awful packaging except maybe Blasphemy (but why is there a cheese wedge in the picture?) and Tiny.

lazerwolf posted:

But Russian River does it!

deedee megadoodoo fucked around with this message at 18:25 on May 9, 2014

Uuudar
Apr 18, 2003
Re bad beer labels: mother of god are Pipeworks labels awful. Same with Only Child. Love what Goose did with the Illinois label though, drat.

Re buying expensive prop on craigslist: why bother when it's still on the shelf for the low low price of $60 at several locations in the city?

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

crazyfish posted:

From what I'm reading on other forums and on facebook, it sounds to me like JVR knows who the thief is and the particular bottles that were stolen were extremely high value, ludicrously rare top-of-whale-list-level beers, which I don't think would generally be found laying in the corridor. I know they do keep a lot of dusties in that hallway but I think the ones we were talking about are probably kept elsewhere.

yeah, i'm hearing that it's that rear end in a top hat who ran a kickstarter campaign to get sent to Belgium. pretty sure someone linked a DDB post mocking him here a while back and wanted to kill the kid just reading it.

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

^^^i've seen people drop mad cash on "out of print" records on ebay that were still available directly from the label

edit- can't internet

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

I have had dozens of beers, on three continents, across three decades. I have had beer in the sun, in the snow, on the ocean, looking down from a mountain, alone, with a friend, with a lover, cuddling a child, petting a dog. I have had beers rocking in a boat, in the midst of backbreaking labor, in celebration, in despair.

I love beer in all its varieties. Dark, light, bitter, sweet, as a chaser, as an appetizer, as a reward, as self-inflicted punishment. Goddammit, beer, you're the loving best.

But I tell you what. There is not a beer in the world that compares to Miller High Life. I appreciate the work and love every brewer puts into their baby. I like the aroma you only get at a certain temperature at a certain altitude, sure. You got it, those organic hops make a big difference.

Miller High Life. That was my dad's beer. I see his grin, I see a Miller High Life tipping up to greet it. I hear a fish splash in a pond, I see the first bullhead I ever caught splashing when I pulled it out of the water and I feel my dad's hand, warm and firm, on my shoulder. I tip back that beer, and I look at my children laughing, and I know just for a second the love he felt for me and tried so hard to express without words.

It's his birthday this weekend. I'm going out to the lake with a Miller High Life, the lake where we scattered his ashes. He loved to sit by the water, and watch the hawks circle, and dream about a life where he'd taken the risks he'd weighed so carefully before declining, and qualified as a chopper pilot instead of a radio mechanic when he joined the Air Force. He dreamed of a life flying, free, above the glimmering water that he's a part of today.

I'll stand in that lake, and think about my father's dreams, and my dreams as a father, and he and I, we'll split that bottle half and half.

source

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

funkybottoms posted:

yeah, i'm hearing that it's that rear end in a top hat who ran a kickstarter campaign to get sent to Belgium. pretty sure someone linked a DDB post mocking him here a while back and wanted to kill the kid just reading it.

That is outstanding. And if true in no way surprising behavior from the kind of unbelievable rear end in a top hat that would run a kickstarter for the sole purpose of funding his vacation.

RocketMermaid
Mar 30, 2004

My pronouns are She/Heir.

a worthy uhh posted:

"invested" is the key word. I don't buy beer as an investment. I could put half my cellar on MBC and make a shitload of money, but that's not what it's for.

Exactly. Buying beer as an "investment" is every bit as shitlordish as those guys who bought 20 copies of Spawn #1 back in the 90s and never read them, hoarding them to sell back to other shitlords at an outlandish markup. It shows no appreciation for the creator or the product and reduces it to a faceless commodity.

Not that Spawn #1 is as enjoyable as most beers, mind you. :v:

americanzero4128
Jul 20, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Uuudar posted:

Re bad beer labels: mother of god are Pipeworks labels awful. Same with Only Child. Love what Goose did with the Illinois label though, drat.

Re buying expensive prop on craigslist: why bother when it's still on the shelf for the low low price of $60 at several locations in the city?

I think Only Child is worse than Pipeworks by a large margin. Pipeworks at least have....something....happening on them. Only Child labels just look like poo poo. I was at a beer tasting where Only Child was, and asked if they design their own labels, or if they have a graphics person, and the husband of the two person brewing crew said he makes them in Microsoft Word. Mediocre overpriced beer, lovely labels, the whole New Brewing Company package!

Anyway, if you're in the southwest suburbs next Wednesday May 14th, Bavarian Lodge is having a Revolution tap takeover starting at 4. Pretty decent lineup, and the food is delicious as well.

Revolution Brews On Tap:
Horizontal Tango
TV Party
Jukebox Hero
Galaxy Hero
Rise
Rosa
Gravedigger Billy
3rd Year Beer
4th Year Beer
Deth's Tar
Very Mad Cow
Straight Jacket
Bean Gene

Two days after that, Friday May 16th, Solemn Oath is having their 2nd anniversary party or something.

Available on Draft:
Ultrahighfrequency (American Red Ale)
Snaggletooth Bandana (India Pale Ale)
PAT (Perennial Collaboration)
Wreckagemaster (Double IPA)
Bier Der Toten (Vienna Lager)
Ticklefight (Barleywine)
Chinfinger (Quadruple - Gigantic Collaboration)
Plus a Special Barrel-Aged Release!

Since there's not many good places to drink in the suburbs that I've found, I'll be at both of those.

Tonde Mo Nai
Jul 9, 2005
my symbolism was stripped away long ago
The topic of Pipeworks labels came up at the Chicago bottle share the other day, and Spiteful (deservedly) fell into the ugly/incomprehensible label camp.

When I first saw Only Child's stuff I was like "okay, minimalist labels, no real issues with that", and then I ran into ones with drawings on them, and they all just look like poo poo. There was a middle aged woman at the Only Child tasting that I went to who was obsessed with how incredibly clever and funny their beer names are, which made me hate their beer names even more.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

I felt really bad telling somebody that his bottle of j&j blauw was worth $700 after we had consumed it.

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

a worthy uhh posted:

I have had dozens of beers, on three continents, across three decades. I have had beer in the sun, in the snow, on the ocean, looking down from a mountain, alone, with a friend, with a lover, cuddling a child, petting a dog. I have had beers rocking in a boat, in the midst of backbreaking labor, in celebration, in despair.

I love beer in all its varieties. Dark, light, bitter, sweet, as a chaser, as an appetizer, as a reward, as self-inflicted punishment. Goddammit, beer, you're the loving best.

But I tell you what. There is not a beer in the world that compares to Miller High Life. I appreciate the work and love every brewer puts into their baby. I like the aroma you only get at a certain temperature at a certain altitude, sure. You got it, those organic hops make a big difference.

Miller High Life. That was my dad's beer. I see his grin, I see a Miller High Life tipping up to greet it. I hear a fish splash in a pond, I see the first bullhead I ever caught splashing when I pulled it out of the water and I feel my dad's hand, warm and firm, on my shoulder. I tip back that beer, and I look at my children laughing, and I know just for a second the love he felt for me and tried so hard to express without words.

It's his birthday this weekend. I'm going out to the lake with a Miller High Life, the lake where we scattered his ashes. He loved to sit by the water, and watch the hawks circle, and dream about a life where he'd taken the risks he'd weighed so carefully before declining, and qualified as a chopper pilot instead of a radio mechanic when he joined the Air Force. He dreamed of a life flying, free, above the glimmering water that he's a part of today.

I'll stand in that lake, and think about my father's dreams, and my dreams as a father, and he and I, we'll split that bottle half and half.

source

That is by far the most elaborate "drainpour, :smug:" post I've ever read.

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Who will win the greatest battle of them all?

Good lord, this is the same guy who wrote that "Rome, Sweet Rome" thing I think? Basically it's about what would happen if a modern military were sent through a time warp to fight against the Roman empire or some poo poo. I'm not sure what ended up happening, but hell of an imagination I guess.

Shabadu
Jul 18, 2003

rain dance

Despair is being at work til 5 and the best bottle shop you know posting that they have limited quantities of Hommage available at 430.

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

air- posted:

Good lord, this is the same guy who wrote that "Rome, Sweet Rome" thing I think? Basically it's about what would happen if a modern military were sent through a time warp to fight against the Roman empire or some poo poo. I'm not sure what ended up happening, but hell of an imagination I guess.

It got bought and is being made into a movie

Retemnav
Mar 20, 2007
Then I'd certainly be a damned fool to feel any other way, wouldn't I?

LeafHouse posted:

I don't have any problem with people who aren't SA members participating in this so long as an SA member is a team captain of sorts. Personal friends taking part should still fill out the form or be added by someone so I have an idea of team sizes and contact info.

I've got 7 or 8 outside guys that are interested in participating from the Triad. How do you want them to fill out the form, ie the SA username? Just their name? Or we can do "Team Triad" or something.

crazyfish
Sep 19, 2002

funkybottoms posted:

Gene (admin on Talkbeer) seems to think it's not the Turtleback Ridge guy.

Gene from talkbeer posted:

I just saw the list, and I can answer the question "why isn't the list getting posted," it's because it's a bit bizarre (and very personal-collection-ish). It's not a list of loons.

Ultimately, keeping the list somewhat under-wraps might be key to figuring out who actually took the bottles. I really don't know. As far as I can tell, it's the weirdness of the list and some assumptions like that that are keeping people from posting it publicly.

Oh, and yes, if that's not already known - all of that "they know who took the bottles" business seems to have gone out the window at some point today. They know who didn't take the bottles, and it's basically the people everyone thought did take the bottles as of this morning.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

crazyfish posted:

Gene (admin on Talkbeer) seems to think it's not the Turtleback Ridge guy.

yeah, some people in my crazy facebook group know who it is and it's not him... or at least he's not the guy that stole the poo poo, although he may have had some without knowing it was stolen? i don't know, they're being coy and it doesn't matter because that dude sucks either way.

as for a group BIF, i have two non-goon friends who might want to participate with me. if people aren't okay with non-goons who can't sign some form of toxx, fine, but i think i've got enough of a trading history here that people know i'm reliable.