Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh

Lil Swamp Booger Baby posted:

Alien Isolation but the xenomorph is replaced by this

Not-Slender Man?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pyrolocutus
Feb 5, 2005
Shape of Flame

FirstAidKite posted:

Also only semi-related since it is about art but in the original Alone in the Dark trilogy, there was always a shot near the beginning where the camera angle was done so it'd look like the protagonist was being watched from far away by a monster and I always loved those specific shots and wish more fixed-camera horror games used them.

Truly, the gun is the real monster :hmmyes:

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
It's amazing how there was one good Alone in the Dark, two direct sequels that doubled down on the parts the game engine was least capable of doing well, and then everything else related to the IP has veered even further into poo poo. Just a consistently and thorough failure to do anything good with the IP.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

The 2008 game really tried to be a good reboot and even though it stumbles more often due to technical reasons I suggest anyone with a ps3 still sitting around to try Inferno the definitive edition that will never be ported elsewhere but I hear ps3 emulation is pretty good these days.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

al-azad posted:

The 2008 game really tried to be a good reboot and even though it stumbles more often due to technical reasons I suggest anyone with a ps3 still sitting around to try Inferno the definitive edition that will never be ported elsewhere but I hear ps3 emulation is pretty good these days.

Alone in the dark Inferno is on the ps+ premium streaming service which works on a ps4, ps5 and pc I believe.

Its got a bunch of neat ideas. It is still very janky but they were trying to be very innovative for the time.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby posted:

I've played that a ton of times already lol

Nightmare Creatures 2?
Joking aside I can't think of too many games that take place in that period. What about Bloodborne? It's got the whole Gothic Victorian thing going on.

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.
New Nightmare also had the window shot, sans the hands. It's also a decent game imo.

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

Disposable Scud posted:

New Nightmare also had the window shot, sans the hands. It's also a decent game imo.

Ugh the atmosphere in that game was wonderful

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Disposable Scud posted:

I think it had like heavy breathing during that shot as well. And a neat touch that once you triggered the camera angle once it didn't do it again.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Not a legitimate window shot if there aren't any hands :colbert:

I'll post it anyway though because I forgot about it

Alone in the Dark 2 and 3 aren't as good as 1 but there are definitely good things about them, like the weird voice acting in 2 is hilarious, there's one enemy voice clip that sounds like the enemy is trying to flirt with you. The part where Carnby dresses up as Santa Claus and starts killing all of the mafia pirates with a frying pan and tommy gun absolutely rules and Alone in the Dark 3 just has a really good soundtrack and excellent use of jaw harp.

FirstAidKite fucked around with this message at 02:17 on Jun 27, 2022

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

7c Nickel posted:

Here's your first post in this thread, from 8 years ago.

lmao

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Evil Kit posted:

I would unironically play and enjoy such a game.

I love spiders with no irony or reservations. Arthropods are adorable to my horrible brain

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

FirstAidKite posted:

Alone in the Dark 2 and 3 aren't as good as 1 but there are definitely good things about them, like the weird voice acting in 2 is hilarious, there's one enemy voice clip that sounds like the enemy is trying to flirt with you. The part where Carnby dresses up as Santa Claus and starts killing all of the mafia pirates with a frying pan and tommy gun absolutely rules and Alone in the Dark 3 just has a really good soundtrack and excellent use of jaw harp.

Alone in the Dark 2 is weird because it's less horror and more... well, odd, and then 3 I feel does a good job of mixing the styles of 1 and 2 (the yowling cats when you defeat an enemy are actually creepier than they really have any right to be). And then you get to the final boss and discover his plan and it goes full 2.

Edit: I really love Alone in the Dark, it'd be nice to get a new, good game.

catlord fucked around with this message at 20:20 on Jun 27, 2022

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

I remember getting stuck right at the start of the first Alone in the Dark. Carnby starts in the attic, but I couldn’t get by either of the gargoyles guarding the stairs,’so that was as far as I ever got.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

The_Doctor posted:

I remember getting stuck right at the start of the first Alone in the Dark. Carnby starts in the attic, but I couldn’t get by either of the gargoyles guarding the stairs,’so that was as far as I ever got.

I got stuck there as a kid til a friend explained it to me- take the mirrors in the locked dresser draw in the adjacent bedroom (the key's in the vase by the bed, which you'll need to throw to break) and place them on the statues by the nightgaunts.

There's actually a clue in the room with the cavalry sabre, but it's easy to not realize it:

al-azad
May 28, 2009

I really like Alone in the Dark's ambition as it tried to be what is basically a modern 3rd person game with platforming and complex actions in a 3D space that even Resident Evil didn't attempt. I mean Resident Evil is a better game overall but it just sucks Atari is poor keepers of the franchise.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

al-azad posted:

I really like Alone in the Dark's ambition as it tried to be what is basically a modern 3rd person game with platforming and complex actions in a 3D space that even Resident Evil didn't attempt. I mean Resident Evil is a better game overall but it just sucks Atari is poor keepers of the franchise.

THQ Nordic recently got the rights from Atari, so at least we won't have to deal with them.

Hector Delgado
Sep 23, 2007

Time for shore leave!!

Pope Guilty posted:

I got stuck there as a kid til a friend explained it to me- take the mirrors in the locked dresser draw in the adjacent bedroom (the key's in the vase by the bed, which you'll need to throw to break) and place them on the statues by the nightgaunts.

There's actually a clue in the room with the cavalry sabre, but it's easy to not realize it:

And if you had the mirrors in your inventory and got hit by the gargoyle, the mirrors broke and you were stuck.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Pope Guilty posted:

Oh wow, yeah I was a kid too and I definitely didn’t get that.

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
Man of Medan is one of the PS+ games for July. Any good?

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Professor Wayne posted:

i didn't know they were announced yet, got a link?

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

"All this, for me? 💃Ah, you didn't have to! 🥰"

Len posted:

i didn't know they were announced yet, got a link?

Looks like a leak? Crash Bandicoot 4 is also on the list.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Read After Burning posted:

Looks like a leak? Crash Bandicoot 4 is also on the list.

oooh

kay

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Professor Wayne posted:

It's not as good as Until Dawn, but still pretty entertaining. It introduced the ability to play online with a friend, where the two of you play different people simultaneously, which adds to the experience quite a bit when you talk about what you saw afterwards.

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.

Morpheus posted:

It's not as good as Until Dawn, but still pretty entertaining. It introduced the ability to play online with a friend, where the two of you play different people simultaneously, which adds to the experience quite a bit when you talk about what you saw afterwards.

Oh nice, for some reason I forgot it was made by those guys. I'll definitely check out that online play.

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.
Alone in the Dark: Illumination was so bad. Not in an interesting way like a Clock Tower 2 either.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

Disposable Scud posted:

Alone in the Dark: Illumination was so bad. Not in an interesting way like a Clock Tower 2 either.

I'm tempted to say it's better than '08 (the base PC version, not Inferno), but purely because it wasn't anywhere near as ambitious and jank. Say what you will about '08/Inferno, but it had ambition. Illumination is a mediocre to bad Left 4 Dead knock-off (after the final patch I ended up enjoying it a bit, but I would not call it good), but '08 reminds me a lot of Trespasser in what they wanted to do.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh
Was going to ask about Last Year: The Nightmare but now have read that the developer has closed and the game is no longer available? Sounds like some dodgy stuff went down with the founder in the past.

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.
Last Year was great when it wasn't being complete poo poo.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

al-azad posted:

I'd say Resident Evil 1 was overall better, but I preferred the aesthetic, atmosphere and puzzles in Alone in the Dark. RE1's rooms are really bright and look like Microsoft 3D Movie Maker.

I'd love for a modern remake of AitD, but not in the "really dark and moody" look of the later titles.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

AitD remake but it’s cel shaded and looks like a dark comic book.

Ecstatica had beautifully detailed animation for its time.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Just gotta get nightdive to do some modernized releases of the original trilogy

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Cruel Bifaunidas demanded that you [stand]🧍 I require only that you [kneel]🧎
going through my discovery queue on Steam today and what the actual gently caress

https://store.steampowered.com/app/606160/ROUTINE/

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Zetsubou-san posted:

going through my discovery queue on Steam today and what the actual gently caress

https://store.steampowered.com/app/606160/ROUTINE/

it got announced at one of the faux-E3's last month, it was a whole thing

al-azad
May 28, 2009

That which is eternal cannot die

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
And with strange aeons even vaporware comes by

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The itch.io bundle for reproductive rights has some good indie horror stuff, including Bloodwash, Lakeview Valley, Lost in Vivo, Pigsaw, The Glass Staircase, Night of the Consumers, Sucker for Love, Spookware, and some stuff from the Dread X Collections, including all of Torple Dook's games, Phili Hesselback's Axis Mundi, and corpsepile's Submission (the last two of which are absolute standouts of the Collections). Great bundle if the indie stuff is your jam.

(It's also got Catlateral Damage, if you just want to be a kitty knocking stuff off of shelves for a bit.)

Jolo
Jun 4, 2007

ive been playing with magnuts tying to change the wold as we know it

Those Lakeview games popped up on my steam recommendations during the sale and look neat. Have any of you played them?

Danknificent
Nov 20, 2015

Jinkies! Looks like we've got a mystery on our hands.

Jolo posted:

Those Lakeview games popped up on my steam recommendations during the sale and look neat. Have any of you played them?

They’re very neat but not super intuitive, especially the later more complex ones. Definitely worth trying for cheap.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IT BURNS
Nov 19, 2012

Saw House of Ashes in my Steam recommended feed after glancing at The Quarry, tried it out and liked it quite a bit (even more so since it was on sale). It plays on a lot of tropes of the first Iraq War - military blunders, bad intel, racism, war crimes, missing WMD, etc. The setting worked pretty well for the storyline, which I overall liked (in spite of getting a little weird at the end with the space vampires and subsequent government coverup. It's not so much a game as it is an interactive story with occasional button mashing, but it provides good entertainment for its 9ish hours. I might go through it again and kill everyone except one person just to see how they handle the ending.

Will wait for The Quarry to come down in price, there's no way I'm paying $60 for a similar game/runtime.