Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Virtue
Jan 7, 2009

I'm sure I'm gonna get it but haven't worked out the math if I'll join the upgrade plan or just buy it outright. If all the rumors about the supply shortage are right if I'm lucky I'll get it before 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

arbybaconator posted:

One of the default wallpapers in the iOS11 GM is a plain black wallpaper.

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

It only took them how many years?

IOS4 came out in 2010 so it's been 7 years.

Sock The Great
Oct 1, 2006

It's Lonely At The Top. But It's Comforting To Look Down Upon Everyone At The Bottom
Grimey Drawer
It's really strange that the leaks in the gold master have tutorial videos on how to get to the home screen using the X swipe gestures, but are on current hardware (or an 8).

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002

by VideoGames
Hell Gem
So the iPhone XXX is gonna be smaller than the 7s+ (8+) huh. Maybe l skip it and get the +. I like my phablet.

Edit: wait I’m dumb. With no bezel and poo poo the screen size will be about the same huh.

Bum the Sad fucked around with this message at 09:25 on Sep 12, 2017

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Bum the Sad posted:

So the iPhone XXX is gonna be smaller than the 7s+ (8+) huh. Maybe l skip it and get the +. I like my phablet.

Edit: wait I’m dumb. With no bezel and poo poo the screen size will be about the same huh.

I think I read 5.8" somewhere.

That's one thing I'd welcome about a new iPhone -- big screen but not big footprint. I've not come to grips (there it is!) with the 7+ since jumping up to a plus model. The non-plus was just the right size and weight for one of my hands.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE
My gut reaction is to avoid buying an iPhoneX (even if I had been planning to upgrade this soon, which I'm not) simply because there are so many new technologies at play that I'd want to wait a generation for Apple to iron the kinks out.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

iPhone XXXTentacion

The iPhone is a woman beater. Boycott Apple.

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

Have or will series 2 watches go on sale? Wouldn't mind picking one up at a discounted price.

Sock The Great
Oct 1, 2006

It's Lonely At The Top. But It's Comforting To Look Down Upon Everyone At The Bottom
Grimey Drawer

Housh posted:

Have or will series 2 watches go on sale? Wouldn't mind picking one up at a discounted price.

If I was a betting man (I am); I would say a $100 price drop across the board on the S2's (Sport) and a discontinuation of the S1 as well as any non-Sport S2.

To play devil's advocate, Apple may just charge $60-80 more for the S3 than the S2 because of LTE (looking at you iPad's) and keep the S2 price the same.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

Housh posted:

Check the refurb store which has S2 Watches for sale.

Rubiks Pubes
Dec 5, 2003

I wanted to be a neo deconstructivist, but Mom wouldn't let me.
So what is the advantage of OLED vs LCD?

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
There's a few advantages. OLED has better contrast and color reproduction while using less energy and allowing for a thinner display.

The disadvantages to OLED are that they can be more prone to burn-in and may have shorter lifespans than LCDs.

I wouldn't expect to see drastically better battery life in the iPhone X given that they're expanding the screen.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

Housh posted:

I'm mulling over selling mine (space grey sport) which has AppleCare on it. Would do a replacement before sale since it has a chip on the glass. Would have one more AC claim available for another year.

Any idea on what a brand new s2 with AC would go for?

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Rubiks Pubes posted:

So what is the advantage of OLED vs LCD?

The reason OLED has better contrast is the lack of a backlight. Each pixel produces its own light, so you could turn on just the pixels that need to display something and leave the rest of the screen literally unpowered. This makes for an insanely crisp display. The one thing I loved about the Pixel was the "just checking the time" screen effect. Just the time and date would appear in stark white. It almost looked printed.

Another sweet android visual that I think took advantage of OLED is a desaturation effect when the screen goes to sleep. It didn't just turn off the screen, it would desaturated to greyscale first and then shut off. It was really cool looking without backlight bleed to ruin it.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Non-technical iPhone users have always been wowed by my AMOLED-screened Android devices screens...generally people don't care a whole lot about color accuracy, they care about pop, whiz, bang.

It will be interesting to see how Apple calibrates the display.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Bum the Sad posted:

The screen is looking to be the same width as a 6+/6S+/7+, but taller and without the bezels.

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010
Ignore my doomerism, I don't think better things are possible

Palladium posted:

I'm pretty sure I'm not the one who thinks the very rarity and price of the iPhone X will ironically make demand shoot through the stratosphere.

I agree that the price is definitely going to be a selling feature (in the US at least). The allure of a $1,000 phone is not even really offset by the fact that you are shelling out 4 figures on a cellphone, since most US customers finance their phones, and $10 more per month is nothing. In millennial terms is not even a single Avocado Toast + tax and tip.

I expect the hunt for the iPhone X will last until March or April. Apple Stores are going to need to hire people whose only job will be answering calls to tell people that they don't know when the next shipment of phones will arrive. I could also see this backfiring slightly where people don't settle for the 8/8+, but wait so long that their eyes turn toward next year's model.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

Financing your phone makes a fuckload of sense though, since it's mostly just 0% APR for 2 years, yeah? If you invest at all - or have a savings account even - paying 0% interest on something you'd buy anyway is great, you'll save 1-2% just on inflation, not to mention whatever gains you could see from having that money in the market instead of spent on day 1. I wish we could finance everything at 0%.

I bought my 6S outright and with a dock and case it ended up costing like 1100 CAD! I don't spend that much in one day on anything ...

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE
I spent 1500 AUD on my 6S plus, we're definitely used to shelling out 4 figures for shiny new toys.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
The Moto X was the first phone to use that selective pixel lock screen option to try and reduce battery power. It was a neat trick that did nothing to actually reduce battery consumption because the phone had a crummy cpu and a tiny battery and horrible OS. If all you did was keep it on its lock screen then yes. It was great. The moment you used the screen, you were watching battery life drain percentage points every minute.

It will be really interesting to see what Apple and it's optimized OS can do with something like that. It probably wouldn't make much of a difference compared to other tricks, like shutting down cores.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

Pivo posted:

Financing your phone makes a fuckload of sense though, since it's mostly just 0% APR for 2 years, yeah? If you invest at all - or have a savings account even - paying 0% interest on something you'd buy anyway is great, you'll save 1-2% just on inflation, not to mention whatever gains you could see from having that money in the market instead of spent on day 1. I wish we could finance everything at 0%.

I bought my 6S outright and with a dock and case it ended up costing like 1100 CAD! I don't spend that much in one day on anything ...

Yeah I always use 0% financing plans with my CC for expensive purchases, on top of it I also earn cashbacks in the process. Paying 100% cash upfront is dumb when that option exists.

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

TyrantWD posted:

I agree that the price is definitely going to be a selling feature (in the US at least). The allure of a $1,000 phone is not even really offset by the fact that you are shelling out 4 figures on a cellphone, since most US customers finance their phones, and $10 more per month is nothing. In millennial terms is not even a single Avocado Toast + tax and tip.

I expect the hunt for the iPhone X will last until March or April. Apple Stores are going to need to hire people whose only job will be answering calls to tell people that they don't know when the next shipment of phones will arrive. I could also see this backfiring slightly where people don't settle for the 8/8+, but wait so long that their eyes turn toward next year's model.

I'm still betting it's full price only to avoid this very problem.

Ouhei
Oct 23, 2008

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Pivo posted:

I really don't understand why most people don't just use the Apple payment or carrier payment plans. It's basically a 0% finance over 2 years for a phone that lets you upgrade every year by paying the sales tax on the new phone. Like if you're going to upgrade every year it makes all the sense in the world and if you're on 2 years it's still better than shoving all that money up front for something that you're ultimately just going to replace.

People get oddly obsessed over owning something outright when effectively renting it can be better in the right situation.

Also $1k as a base isn't really an issue for most people, my 7+ 128GB is already like $950, so another $50 is fine (I could easily live with 64GB if that's the rumored base storage).

triple sulk posted:

I'm still betting it's full price only to avoid this very problem.
I don't think they're ever going to offer a phone as only cash up front ever again, it would limit sales and no one involved wants to limit sales.

Ouhei fucked around with this message at 16:11 on Sep 12, 2017

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Ouhei posted:

I really don't understand why most people don't just use the Apple payment or carrier payment plans. It's basically a 0% finance over 2 years for a phone that lets you upgrade every year by paying the sales tax on the new phone. Like if you're going to upgrade every year it makes all the sense in the world and if you're on 2 years it's still better than shoving all that money up front for something that you're ultimately just going to replace.

People get oddly obsessed over owning something outright when effectively renting it can be better in the right situation.

Also $1k as a base isn't really an issue for most people, my 7+ 128GB is already like $950, so another $50 is fine (I could easily live with 64GB if that's the rumored base storage).

I don't think they're ever going to offer a phone as only cash up front ever again, it would limit sales and no one involved wants to limit sales.

Not only that, but the 50% of original purchase price Apple is giving you for your trade phone is very competitive to the larger used device buyers.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

I don't do the upgrade plan because I'm not sure I want to upgrade every 2 years, I kept my 5 for 3 years and I'll keep my 6S if the X is too supply constrained / too expensive / can't be financed through my carrier / has technical problems. Also I usually come out ahead by selling my previous phone rather than just trading in for a new one, if you take good care of it and it's a high end model unlocked you can get more than 50% of original on eBay quite readily.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
I bought two iPhone 5c's upfront and felt so good about owning my own phones and after 2 years they were just as worthless as if I had financed them.

I think it works if you're the type of person whose an expert at flipping phones. It's pointless for everyone else. Also, can't you bundle Applecare+ in there too?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

The upgrade plan doesn't require you to update though. After two years the phone is yours free and clear.

Apple can buy the old one from you, not sure how competitive their prices are but if you hand them a good condition iphone they'll give some trade-in credit.

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

Ouhei posted:

The carrier payment plans lock you into the carrier so you lose the freedom to move around without paying your way out in some way, in most cases. Apple's program is not perfect, either.

I would normally agree about the cash up front thing, but this is a one-off "anniversary" model testing new tech with supplies that are supposedly extraordinarily limited. They're going to sell whatever supply they have without question, so in this case I think it doesn't matter.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

xzzy posted:

The upgrade plan doesn't require you to update though. After two years the phone is yours free and clear.

Oh. Well then that's just 0% financing, which I am definitely a proponent of. If you are financially stable at all and your employment/life is a going concern, turning down 0% financing is just stupid. I didn't know you get to keep the thing, I thought you had to trade it in.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

triple sulk posted:

The carrier payment plans lock you into the carrier so you lose the freedom to move around without paying your way out in some way, in most cases. Apple's program is not perfect, either.

At least here in Canada, the cancellation fee is literally just what you owe on the phone (plus a stupid ~$50 charge for unlocking, if it's locked).

MrBigglesworth
Mar 26, 2005

Lover of Fuzzy Meatloaf
I was laid off after 14 years and my 5s is nearly dead. Cracked screen and bad graphics banding. Im limping on a Galaxy S5 someone gave me that doesn't have LTE capability, so without wifi, its just a phone out and about. Feels bad man.

Cant wait to get whatever the next thing is as soon as I am re-employed.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

The main issue with Apple's program is it requires you to deal with citizenone.

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Such graceful, delicate creatures.

triple sulk posted:

At that point though, you just pay what's left on the phone, so it's the same as if you had just bought it outright. There's no cancellation fee or back interest or anything, you just delayed payment on the device.

And do people really change services that often? I've been using AT&T for over 10 years now and haven't felt the need to switch carriers (aside from a brief period where I really wanted the Moto Droid Z Force that was Verizon exclusive). In my case though, it may be because only Verizon & AT&T get a halfway decent signal where I live.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Pivo posted:

At least here in Canada, the cancellation fee is literally just what you owe on the phone (plus a stupid ~$50 charge for unlocking, if it's locked).

That's what it is here, too. Minus the charge.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
I own a 6 with only one big flaw: I can't open the SIM tray because I didn't have a paper clip so I tried jamming the metal piece of a twist tie in there, which seems to have hosed it up completely and now it won't come out.

I'd like to sell this thing but I'm guessing if the SIM won't come out that I won't get poo poo for it. Does anyone know if the Apple Store will fix this gratis or how much it will cost me? If it's too much I might as well take trade in value instead.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

MrBigglesworth posted:

I was laid off after 14 years and my 5s is nearly dead. Cracked screen and bad graphics banding. Im limping on a Galaxy S5 someone gave me that doesn't have LTE capability, so without wifi, its just a phone out and about. Feels bad man.

Cant wait to get whatever the next thing is as soon as I am re-employed.

Hello laid off after 14 years buddy, I hope your hunt goes better than mine has.

manwithoutskin
Mar 24, 2006
can you see the line where the water ends

triple sulk posted:

I would normally agree about the cash up front thing, but this is a one-off "anniversary" model testing new tech with supplies that are supposedly extraordinarily limited. They're going to sell whatever supply they have without question, so in this case I think it doesn't matter.

I was on the Apple store website just now and you can check your iPhone upgrade program eligibility and after confirming I was eligible for an upgrade it gave me the (grayed out) options of either an 8 or an X.

How much storage are y'all using on your phone and for what? I think the 64gb should be plenty. Don't think it's worth paying another $150 for 256gb.

Oh I missed how every new phones sizing options are 64 or 256 at the same price jump. Eeesh

manwithoutskin fucked around with this message at 20:12 on Sep 12, 2017

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
There's some serious legalese word play in Apple saying, "The most durable glass ever in a smartphone, front and back." Doesn't Motorola have a shatterproof screen? But that's only on the front so...yes, most durable glass ever...front and back.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

64 vs 256 solely depends on how many pictures+video+mp3's you store. So really only you can answer that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fourwood
Sep 9, 2001

Damn I'll bring them to their knees.

TVs Ian posted:

At that point though, you just pay what's left on the phone, so it's the same as if you had just bought it outright. There's no cancellation fee or back interest or anything, you just delayed payment on the device.

And do people really change services that often? I've been using AT&T for over 10 years now and haven't felt the need to switch carriers (aside from a brief period where I really wanted the Moto Droid Z Force that was Verizon exclusive). In my case though, it may be because only Verizon & AT&T get a halfway decent signal where I live.

I’ve travelled internationally a decent amount in the last few years and a locked phone prevents you from buying a local SIM. And AT&T’s international plan suuuuuucks. $40 for 200MB. I’ve been so tempted to just pay my phone off for that reason alone.

You can do a non-upgrade program payment plan through Apple that gives you an unlocked phone that’s the same price as the carrier financing. So I’m totally doing that next time.