Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

azflyboy posted:

There's been AN-124's showing up at SEATAC for a few weeks now (they usually stay for a day or two before leaving), but I've never seen anything explaining why they're coming into Seattle.

I know that Boeing has hired AN-124's to carry parts for the 747-8 and 787 before, but I'd think that would mean flying into BFI or Paine.

Isn't there some kind of port strike going on over there at the moment? I know they get used by the Japanese auto makers when they need to ship a crap load of engines or chassis to North American assembly plants because the ports are closed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alpine Mustache
Jul 11, 2000

SybilVimes posted:

While intermeshing rotors are always a bit 'wtf' worthy, the K-max pales to the Kellett XR-10, the only intermeshing rotor helicopter that bothered to try having more than 2 blades per rotor.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pl9IiVf4Vs0

All i can see is someone juggling lawnmower blades

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005

Linedance posted:

Isn't there some kind of port strike going on over there at the moment? I know they get used by the Japanese auto makers when they need to ship a crap load of engines or chassis to North American assembly plants because the ports are closed.

That might explain it.

Honda has a plant about 40 miles from Columbus (where that flight originated), and I think some of the previous AN-124's at SEA also went to or from areas in the South or Rust Belt, so Seattle would make sense as a fuel stop for car parts coming in from Asia.

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!

azflyboy posted:

That might explain it.

Honda has a plant about 40 miles from Columbus (where that flight originated), and I think some of the previous AN-124's at SEA also went to or from areas in the South or Rust Belt, so Seattle would make sense as a fuel stop for car parts coming in from Asia.

the last an24 flight to SEA came from the LA area, stop over in SEA and then onto LCK. So I'm not sure that theory holds much water.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Ambihelical Hexnut posted:

Price you pay for being one of the few rw pilots with an ejection seat.

Wouldn't have been a problem if they'd built the Kamov V-100:

*All* the rotors and propellers.

https://sites.google.com/site/stingrayslistofrotorcraft/kamov-v-100

The Kamov V-80, on the other hand, you might recognize.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 06:51 on Mar 2, 2015

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
I wonder what it would've felt like to be the guy who opens a letter and reads "Comrade, you have been selected to be the test pilot of the first manned Ka-50 ejection seat tests."

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Eej posted:

I wonder what it would've felt like to be the guy who opens a letter and reads "Comrade, you have been selected to be the test pilot of the first manned Ka-50 ejection seat tests."

Vodka.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Every time someone mentions helicopter ejection seats, I picture Pierce Brosnan trying to mash his forehead into the comically-large and conveniently-placed red "EJECT" button on that Tiger.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Wouldn't have been a problem if they'd built the Kamov V-100:

Which Cobra figure came with that one?

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

:siren::siren::siren::siren:
- FUCK THE HABS -

Godholio posted:

Which Cobra figure came with that one?

Ginsu

SybilVimes
Oct 29, 2011

YF19pilot posted:

Not my forte, but I would gander to say the advantages of having a dual rotor system (ala Chinook) but on a smaller air frame. Basically, more lift, and counter rotating cancels out the torque effects so you don't need a tail rotor.

Actually, less lift - neither rotor is generating pure vertical lift at any point.

The primary advantage is the lack of need for a tail rotor, combined with the lack of complexity compared to coaxial rotors.

Basically, the nazi's couldn't get tail rotors to work, so when Flettner progressed from autogyros to helicopters, he went with intermeshing rotors to balance out torque.

When Flettner was liberated as part of Operation Paperclip, he settled down and worked with Kellett and Kaman, who had both worked on autogyros and saw the natural leap to synchrocopters that Flettner was a believer in.

Meanwhile other companies invested in tandem rotors (Plasecki) and coaxial rotors (Kamov)

vessbot
Jun 17, 2005
I don't like you because you're dangerous

SybilVimes posted:

Actually, less lift - neither rotor is generating pure vertical lift at any point.

The primary advantage is the lack of need for a tail rotor, combined with the lack of complexity compared to coaxial rotors.

While there is a power loss from the cant angle, there's a sizable advantage from the lack of need to drive a tail rotor - which can consume up to a quarter of your power budget.

The loss from the cant angle is relatively small. http://oh1ninja.la.coocan.jp/details/KMAX/kmax_e.htm this website says the angle between the 2 rotors is 25 degrees, so the angle from vertical is 12.5 degrees. The cosine of that is .976, so you're losing only 2 and a half percent. By far, a net gain over a conventional helicopter.

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски
Apparently some people are trying to take a 747 to Burning Man and have a loving massive first class VIP themed party anyone can go to.
http://techcrunch.com/2015/02/17/big-imagination-747/

Kenlon
Jun 27, 2003

Digitus Impudicus

Preoptopus posted:

Apparently some people are trying to take a 747 to Burning Man and have a loving massive first class VIP themed party anyone can go to.

Where are they going to find a Sarlacc, though?

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Kenlon posted:

This is Burning Man, guests won't have any problems scoring some killer hallucinogens.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Preoptopus posted:

This is just a mockup, right? Also, how the heck are they transporting it? VW Vanagons have a modest tow rating

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

Only acceptable answer is Unimog.

Vvvvv well obviously I meant only acceptable answer amongst vehicles.vvvvvv

Jonny Nox fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Mar 2, 2015

SybilVimes
Oct 29, 2011

Jonny Nox posted:

Only acceptable answer is Unimog.

Not a (large) team of oiled up Connery-in-Zardoz cosplayers on segways pulling it via reins?

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

Kenlon posted:

I genuinely enjoy how everyone's first impression of that drat thing is Jabba's sail barge. It's so perfect.

McDeth
Jan 12, 2005

Psion posted:

I genuinely enjoy how everyone's first impression of that drat thing is Jabba's sail barge. It's so perfect.

If it wasn't for the wings...I mean look at the top of it! It's obviously ripped off to look like the sail barge.

Ambihelical Hexnut
Aug 5, 2008

Nebakenezzer posted:

This is just a mockup, right? Also, how the heck are they transporting it? VW Vanagons have a modest tow rating

This thing goes to burning man too: http://walterthebus.org/

Das Volk
Nov 19, 2002

by Cyrano4747
I took a trip to the Museum of Flight this past week, and of course there's basically one reason to go:

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

VodeAndreas posted:

See also a F35 assaulted by it's worst enemies, light rain and children:

That F35 has a RAAF roundel stenciled onto it; is it a (the) mockup?

ecureuilmatrix
Mar 30, 2011

Nebakenezzer posted:

:ohdear: Hope I got in time to make sure there is a 707 on page 707.

(All glory to Nebakenezzer, I am but a messenger.)

ecureuilmatrix fucked around with this message at 06:22 on Mar 3, 2015

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
Nicely done. :golfclap:

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

~Coxy posted:

Given that they're letting people get close enough to potentially touch/scrape the skin, I'd imagine so.

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

~Coxy posted:

The RAAF only owns two F-35As, and they're both at Luke in AZ for the purposes of pilot training.

The only other foreign owned F-35s are the two F-35Bs for the RAF and one lone F-35A for the RNLAF. The first production batch with significant foreign numbers is LRIP-8, which just got signed in November.

e: Goose, it's time to buzz the tower

iyaayas01 fucked around with this message at 07:35 on Mar 3, 2015

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!

ecureuilmatrix posted:

Not enough.

Would post more, but I've got to get to work in a few.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Thought some here might want to see this from the RC aircraft hobby thread.

ImplicitAssembler posted:

This is probably one of the best 3D helicopter vids I've seen:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZAeO_1DoNy8

Crazy stuff!

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.

slidebite posted:

Do you have a link to that thread?

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
707s, eh?

Edit: Oh, why not...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AaA7kPfC5Hk

Godholio fucked around with this message at 08:02 on Mar 3, 2015

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

EightBit posted:

Do you have a link to that thread?

Click the posters name in the quote and it'll take you to that post, even if it's in another thread.

Tsuru
May 12, 2008

slidebite posted:

Impressive graphics and sound, but I think the physics engine might need some work...

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI
Good news everyone!

I get the impression that many in this AI thread are here because we love airplanes, and for many of you, because you aren't or weren't capable of getting a 3rd class medical to fly light general aviation airplanes for fun.

That time may soon be coming to an end, I hope.

The Pilots Bill of Rights 2, has just been introduced in the Senate and the House.

It represents the greatest and easiest way to pass the 3rd class medical exemption with the least fuss.

Please, everyone, call or email your representatives and senators to let them know of your support of HR1062 and S571.

http://www.avweb.com/avwebflash/new...2-223621-1.html

This is one of the few times I'm not trolling to start an argument on the forums. Please, let's work together to get more people in aviation, responsibly.

jammyozzy
Dec 7, 2006

Is that a challenge?
Apparently one of our customers want a us to start serial numbering nuts and bolts.

Is this at all common? I've never heard of doing it on what are basically consumables.

ctishman
Apr 26, 2005

Oh Giraffe you're havin' a laugh!

jammyozzy posted:

Apparently one of our customers want a us to start serial numbering nuts and bolts.

Is this at all common? I've never heard of doing it on what are basically consumables.

Depends on what the bolt's for. If it's for something like a jesus nut*, you can be drat sure it's gonna be serialized, for instance.

Also, have a ridiculously, ludicrously-low St. Maarten landing, filmed at 240 FPS.

*Edit: Yes I know a Jesus Nut isn't really a nut in the sense you're thinking of. Still.

ctishman fucked around with this message at 11:37 on Mar 3, 2015

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

jammyozzy posted:

Certain safety-critical fasteners are serialized. Engine-mount bolts, certain control surface fasteners, etc.

A good rule of thumb: if it's a fastener that is going to be subject to NDT prior to installation, it's probably also going to be serialized.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

Das Volk posted:

I took a trip to the Museum of Flight this past week, and of course there's basically one reason to go:

Why isn't there a picture of you sitting in the nose section they have?

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

:stare: Yea, I think that's the lowest one I've seen video of from there. Looked like he was going to hit the fence!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

ecureuilmatrix posted:

Quoting you instead of Neb, but I just had a quick look out of curiosity... $453 in 1959 is about equal to $3638 today. That's round trip New York to London, cheapest economy fare.

jammyozzy posted:

At a minimum, to meet EASA standards, they should at least have batch numbers. Hardware should be traceable from installation back to manufacturing batch.