Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

central dogma
Feb 25, 2012

Come to the Undead Settlement in the next 20 mins if u want an ash kicking

basic hitler posted:

ds9 > std > tng > *

:unsmigghh:

Agreed! STD was fun. Also, VOY, for all its mediocrity, had the best theme song.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jim Barris
Aug 13, 2009
Are there gay vulcans?

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Given that the planet Vulcan has been destroyed, it would not be logical to use sexual intercourse for anything other than procreation.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Pick posted:

beverly crusher always got the short end of the stick in her focus episodes

She certainly did in the ghost candle episode :wiggle:

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

Lovin' every minute of it.
I hate to say it but Bones is sort of a one note character. A very good one, but yeah. Bev is more fleshed out, but boring.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

A.I. Borgland Corp posted:

Given that the planet Vulcan has been destroyed, it would not be logical to use sexual intercourse for anything other than procreation.

excuse me but the lensflare demo reels are not canon

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

canon or not gay/lez vulcans would just artificially inseminate and maybe even vatrgow kids come on.

even if they adhered to biological means for no reason, poly relationships or something

McGiggins
Apr 4, 2014

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy
Would there even be gay vulcans? I can easily see that not being logical in their eyes, and the fact that one might do it for fun or socialization might not make the cut because Vulcans literally hate fun?

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

hey maybe they don't have gay genes or their pregnancies are way easier and less complex than humans but given they're really just logical pointed eared humans with weird organs, there are probably gay dudes and when pon farr hits bam

McGiggins
Apr 4, 2014

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy
Yeah, that logic works for me. I kinda want to see a Vulcan gay bar now.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

McGiggins posted:

Yeah, that logic works for me. I kinda want to see a Vulcan gay bar now.

they're just standing around with individual diagrams of dick length and anal permissiveness

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

etalian posted:

Winn was basically Space Hillary

The similarities are interesting...

Both rode the coattails of powerful men
Both were buried deep within the power structures of their societies
Both were extremely two-faces and conniving
Both were willing to sell out to the enemy for power
Both had really creepy smiles that were insincere
Both had extremely punchable faces
Both made it very close to ultimate power and then lost it all by being defeated by a comically evil devil/clown

VictorianQueerLit
Aug 25, 2017

Facebook Aunt posted:

I've been rewatching DS9 on netflix, after not seeing anything but youtube clips in 20 years. It's okay so far, just into season 3. Winn is a lot worse than I remembered. I remembered her as a condescending power hungry hypocrite who ends up boning Ducat, but totally forgot about the conspiracy to murder Barial.

Anyway, why do people always complain about the Enterprise theme when the DS9 theme was dire? It's just a big disappointing nothing. Worst theme by a mile.

I saw that Bareil episode the other day and it was pretty dumb.

"He needs to go into stasis now to save his life."
"NO! He must negotiate this treaty! Only he knows the specifics!"

"Doctor *coughing* give...give me....an extremely dangerous treatment that will permanently gently caress me up because I can't wait"
*procedure is done*
"Now that my life has been extended.....tell.....the Cardassian diplomat that his demands were addressed in the initial proceedings." *Dies again*
*Kai Winn smugly smiles*
"He is pretty much dead but I guess we can give him a Robot Brain to puppet his body long enough to answer more extremely simple and plain questions."

Kira is like "I know he would want to give his life to answer questions that could be handled by a cursory spacegoogle search"

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

VictorianQueerLit posted:

I saw that Bareil episode the other day and it was pretty dumb.

"He needs to go into stasis now to save his life."
"NO! He must negotiate this treaty! Only he knows the specifics!"

"Doctor *coughing* give...give me....an extremely dangerous treatment that will permanently gently caress me up because I can't wait"
*procedure is done*
"Now that my life has been extended.....tell.....the Cardassian diplomat that his demands were addressed in the initial proceedings." *Dies again*
*Kai Winn smugly smiles*
"He is pretty much dead but I guess we can give him a Robot Brain to puppet his body long enough to answer more extremely simple and plain questions."

Kira is like "I know he would want to give his life to answer questions that could be handled by a cursory spacegoogle search"

No, I was talking about the season 1 or 2 assassination plot, where she convinces obrian's-never-before-seen-assistant to shoot him when he comes to visit about the heretical school.

Extremely Banned Guy
May 28, 2018

by R. Guyovich
What do people think of Section 31? I went through DS9 for only the second time in my life, and was following various web discussions, and am shocked to learn that it's widely hated. People think of the Federation like Americans felt about America on 9/12, and think it was a real betrayal to imply the Federation isn't 100% perfect. Maybe it's just because I never had faith in the government, but even in 1999 when I first remember seeing Sloane, etc. I just went "Oh yea, of course the Federation has to resort to assassins and realpolitik for the edge cases"

VictorianQueerLit
Aug 25, 2017

Facebook Aunt posted:

No, I was talking about the season 1 or 2 assassination plot, where she convinces obrian's-never-before-seen-assistant to shoot him when he comes to visit about the heretical school.

gently caress I forgot about that one. Bajoran heavy episodes don't really stick with me because they are universally terrible.

Aoi
Sep 12, 2017

Perpetually a Pain.

Facebook Aunt posted:

I think she may have actually been in one or two prior episodes, but I could be wrong. I know that O'Brien's subordinate from later on in the series was in a few episodes before the ship, and I could be conflating the former's set-up with the latter's.

Aoi
Sep 12, 2017

Perpetually a Pain.

Good Tom Groyper posted:

What do people think of Section 31? I went through DS9 for only the second time in my life, and was following various web discussions, and am shocked to learn that it's widely hated. People think of the Federation like Americans felt about America on 9/12, and think it was a real betrayal to imply the Federation isn't 100% perfect. Maybe it's just because I never had faith in the government, but even in 1999 when I first remember seeing Sloane, etc. I just went "Oh yea, of course the Federation has to resort to assassins and realpolitik for the edge cases"

It was handled well in DS9 because they actually created it and had a story to tell with it, while later post 9/11 shows/movies just unambiguously tossed them in so they could write hard man doing a hard space job crap without actually getting it.

Their whole thing in DS9 is that they were 100% not an actual part of the Federation, officially or unofficially, they were self-appointed delusional terrorist cells betraying and distorting the Federation's founding principles which a few evil admirals/HQ dipshits looked the other way for when they thought their terrorism accidentally might help the war effort.

This was clearly portrayed as wrong and shameful to the pajamas and actually had more consequences on a long-term Federation admiral character's "arc" (Ross) than anything in Star Trek before or since, given that he'd actually existed for multiple seasons as a generally good and reasonable admiral who then compromised himself in an episode other than the one in which he was introduced.

Aoi fucked around with this message at 05:56 on May 29, 2018

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

gently caress I forgot about that one. Bajoran heavy episodes don't really stick with me because they are universally terrible.

bajorans are terrorists

McGiggins
Apr 4, 2014

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy
What if the cardassians attacked in self defense, and bajorra was an inside job?

McGiggins
Apr 4, 2014

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy
Poor Nog didn't make his Starfleet entrance exam :saddowns:

McGiggins
Apr 4, 2014

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy
loving Quark Motherfucker :argh:

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

McGiggins posted:

Poor Nog didn't make his Starfleet entrance exam :saddowns:

not everyone out there is in Starfleet

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

bajorans suck. im sorry, but, they suck

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

a beautiful, soft meat sack
Clapping Larry

Pick posted:

bajorans are terrorists

Sorry if they are a little miffed about people trying to genocide them a couple years ago.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

drilldo squirt posted:

Sorry if they are a little miffed about people trying to genocide them a couple years ago.

it's like 50 years or something.

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

Clapping Larry
The series is based on a orbiting death camp.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

drilldo squirt posted:

cool

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

Clapping Larry

Pick posted:

it's like 50 years or something.

You're a fool who knows nothing of the history of bajor or the star trek universe.

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

Clapping Larry

It is.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Blistex posted:

Both made it very close to ultimate power and then lost it all by being defeated by a comically evil devil/clown

What makes the faces of those women so punchable? Do tell.

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

I love it when names get recycled

There's an Ensign Janeway S6E3 TNG. I'm watching it in the background as I do some work and my ears pricked up at the name. Actually my first thought in my distracted brain was "Isn't her rank Diktator?"

Also I think I remember hearing a planet Bellana (pronounced B'lana or whatever BLT's name is) and a Lt Torres

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

drilldo squirt posted:

You're a fool who knows nothing of the history of bajor or the star trek universe.
Keep absolutely still. Its posting is based on responses.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

drilldo squirt posted:

So it's on Earth?

VictorianQueerLit
Aug 25, 2017

drilldo squirt posted:

Bajoran propaganda, based on their backwards religion and primitive ways. The Cardassians only tried to help and uplift the Bajoran peoples and look what that got them. Attacked by the Bajorans, Attacked by the Maquis, Attacked by the Klingons, Attacked by the Federation, Attacked by the Dominion.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

IT CAN'T BE BARGAINED WITH.
IT CAN'T BE REASONED WITH.
IT DOESN'T FEEL PITY, OR REMORSE, OR FEAR.
AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry

Blistex posted:

Hilary Clinton was actually that religious dude who was pure and noble and was betrayed by Kai Wen and beaten to the top job, because she kept spouting poo poo about "Bajor First! Bajor First!" and how she was going to make Bajor great again. Ultimately supported by a group of idiot fanatics, she gains power in a shock victory.

Then when she is in power it became even more obvious she was in it for herself and didn't care about the little people at all, and ultimately was compromised when she was involved in a sex scandal with the enemy who controlled her like a puppet and lead to her downfall. At almost every turn she was busy trying to put Bajor's interests first at the expense of her allies and it always backfired on her.

Hate to tell you buddy, but the only difference between Kai Wen and Trump is a) gender and b) Kai Wen is actually good at politics and not a loving moron.

Kitchner fucked around with this message at 07:51 on May 29, 2018

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

Were going to Winn so much youre going to be sick and tired of Winning.

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

EimiYoshikawa posted:

I think she may have actually been in one or two prior episodes, but I could be wrong. I know that O'Brien's subordinate from later on in the series was in a few episodes before the ship, and I could be conflating the former's set-up with the latter's.

She absolutely was in a couple eps before the assassination one, it was actually pretty well planned out.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

simplefish posted:

I love it when names get recycled

There's an Ensign Janeway S6E3 TNG. I'm watching it in the background as I do some work and my ears pricked up at the name. Actually my first thought in my distracted brain was "Isn't her rank Diktator?"

Also I think I remember hearing a planet Bellana (pronounced B'lana or whatever BLT's name is) and a Lt Torres

I'm actually a little amazed how much "Diktator Janeway" has caught on in this thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

IT CAN'T BE BARGAINED WITH.
IT CAN'T BE REASONED WITH.
IT DOESN'T FEEL PITY, OR REMORSE, OR FEAR.
AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry

numberoneposter posted:

Were going to Winn so much youre going to be sick and tired of Winning.

You're forgetting her best selling book: The Art of Winning.

My Local Library posted:

Kai Winn Adami lays out her spiritual and personal worldview in this classic work--a firsthand account of the rise of Bajor's foremost deal-maker.

"I like thinking big. I always have. To me it's very simple: If you're going to be thinking anyway, you might as well think big."-- Winn Adami

Here is Winn in action--how she runs her church and how she runs her life--as she meets the people she needs to meet, chats with family and friends, clashes with enemies, and defends conventional thinking. But even an orthodox Bajoran religious leader sometimes doesn't play by the rules, and Winn has formulated time-tested guidelines for success. She isolates the common elements in her greatest accomplishments; she shatters myths; she names names, spells out the zeros, and fully reveals the Winner's art. And throughout, Winn talks--really talks--about how she does it. Winn: The Art of the Winning is an unguarded look at the mind of a brilliant religious leader--the ultimate read for anyone interested in the woman behind the spotlight.

Also revealed in the book, 13 surprising reasons why the Emmissary is not the man you think he is. Number 3 will shock you!

Kitchner fucked around with this message at 08:36 on May 29, 2018