Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who Killed WCW?
Eric Bischoff
Hulk Hogan
Vince Russo
Jerusalem
View Results

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

wcw only becomes hard to watch near the end when all the good wrestlers are gone and no one gives a poo poo anymore

WCW was long past the point of no return in early 2001, but it's wild that their booking strategy at this time was to have the heel stable retire/hurt every famous face on the roster until the main feud was Ric Flair vs. Ernest Miller. Skating on goodwill that was non-existent, just baffling.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

WCW losing Benoit, Malenko, Saturn, and Eddie was the point of no return imo.

At that point they lost basically everyone who had only really become something in the Nitro era. All they had left of value as new things were Goldberg (injured) and Rey (injured/long lost everything that made him cool).

It was just the same old wrestlers way past their prime or new wrestlers who were just worse versions of one of those four who left.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters
Wrestlers with matches at Starrcade 1996:
Roddy Piper, Hulk Hogan, Lex Luger, The Giant, Eddie Guerrero, Diamond Dallas Page, Kevin Nash, Scott Hall, Meng, Barbarian, Jeff Jarrett, Chris Benoit, Jushin Liger, Rey Mysterio, Akira Hokuto, Madusa, Ultimo Dragon, Dean Malenko

Wrestlers with matches at Starrcade 1997:
Sting, Hulk Hogan, Larry Zbyzsko, Eric Bischoff, Diamond Dallas Page, Curt Hennig, Buff Bagwell, Lex Luger, Saturn, Chris Benoit, Goldberg, Mongo, Randy Savage, Scott Norton, Vincent, Rick Steiner, Scott Steiner, Ray Traylor, Eddie Guerrero, Dean Malenko

Wrestlers with matches at Starrcade 1998:
Kevin Nash, Goldberg, The Giant, Diamond Dallas Page, Ric Flair, Eric Bischoff, Chris Jericho, Konnan, Scott Norton, Brian Adams, Fit Finlay, Jerry Flynn, Saturn, Ernest Miller, Norman Smiley, Prince Iaukea, Billy Kidman, Eddie Guerrero, Rey Mysterio, Juventud Guerrera

Wrestlers with matches at Starrcade 1999:
Bret Hart, Goldberg, Chris Benoit, Jeff Jarrett, Kevin Nash, Sid Vicious, Sting, Lex Luger, Diamond Dallas Page, David Flair, Ron Harris, Don Harris, Curt Hennig, Booker T, Stevie Ray, Midnight, Vampiro, Steve Willliams, Oklahoma, Shane Douglas, Saturn, Dean Malenko, Aysa, Kevin Sullivan, Mike Rotunda, Rick Steiner, Norman Smiley, Meng, Madusa, Evan Karagis, Johnny the Bull, Big Vito, Disco Inferno, Lash LeRoux

Wrestlers with matches at Starrcade 2000:
Scott Steiner, Sid Vicious, Goldberg, Lex Luger, Kevin Nash, Diamond Dallas Page, Chuck Palumbo, Shawn Stasiak, Ron Harris, Don Harris, Jeff Jarrett, Billy Kidman, Rey Mysterio, Konnan, General Rection, Shane Douglas, Mike Awesome, Bam Bam Bigelow, Big Vito, Reno, Brian Adams, Bryan Clarke, Terry Funk, Crowbar, Lance Storm, Ernest Miller, Shane Helms, Shannon Moore, Kaz Hayashi, Yun Yang, Jamie Knoble, Evan Karagis

The Starrcade 2000 poster featured Scott Steiner, Booker T, Goldberg, and Sting. Only two of the four appeared on the show.
The next PPV (SIN)'s poster featured Scott Steiner, DDP, Goldberg, and Sting. Sting did not appear.
Superbrawl Revenge upped the ante by featuring Steiner, Sid Vicious, Goldberg, Booker T, and Sting. Only Steiner had a match.
The final WCW PPV (Greed) played it safe by only showing Scott Steiner, who did appear on the show in the main event.

The talent drain in WCW was remarkable, and yeah, "let's do a story where we write off most of our biggest stars just for fun to build to their big return" was an even more remarkable way to address it.

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

i went to one of these wrestling shows and it was... honestly? frickin boring. i wanna see ricky! i want to see his gold chains and respect for the ftw lifestyle
if someone ever asked me, "who is the absolute worst wrestler? the no-tal package? a perfect zero?" id probably say "Heavy Metal" Van Hammer, boy that guy just stinks

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

shiksa posted:

if someone ever asked me, "who is the absolute worst wrestler? the no-tal package? a perfect zero?" id probably say "Heavy Metal" Van Hammer, boy that guy just stinks

In terms of a guy who was bad over many years he really does have a great track record. Other guys sucked more at any given time, but as a guy who spanned most of the 90s in WCW, Hammer takes the cake.

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

i went to one of these wrestling shows and it was... honestly? frickin boring. i wanna see ricky! i want to see his gold chains and respect for the ftw lifestyle

MassRafTer posted:

In terms of a guy who was bad over many years he really does have a great track record. Other guys sucked more at any given time, but as a guy who spanned most of the 90s in WCW, Hammer takes the cake.

yeah thats also the thing that separates him. he held a consistent job throughout an entire generational sea change in wrestling and he sucked total rear end the whole time

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

shiksa posted:

renegade

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

shiksa posted:

How about both Harris Brothers?

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

rare Magic card l00k posted:

How about both Harris Brothers?

Plus, unless there's some stuff about Van Hammer that I'm not aware of, the Harris Brothers are loving nazis. gently caress Dron Harris.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Renegade isn't a bad choice but I feel too bad for him. I'll give it to Hammer whose only match I recall liking remotely was a falls-count-anywhere with Cactus Jack which was all because of Cactus.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Wasn't Van Hammer the one that threw a fit about being named "Private Stash" so they changed it to "Major Stash" making the lame joke meaningless?

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Pope Corky the IX posted:

Wasn't Van Hammer the one that threw a fit about being named "Private Stash" so they changed it to "Major Stash" making the lame joke meaningless?

Yes

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

A major stash is a bigger stash than a private stash.

shiksa posted:

yeah thats also the thing that separates him. he held a consistent job throughout an entire generational sea change in wrestling and he sucked total rear end the whole time

Also something to keep in mind is he wasn't technically holding a consistent job they let him go and brought him back despite still being bad.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

MassRafTer posted:

A major stash is a bigger stash than a private stash.

Please explain.

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Nothing's better than postin' in the morning!

A private stash has to be hidden so people don't know you have it, so it must be a smaller amount. A major stash you don't care about hiding so you can flaunt it.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Why can't a major stash still be private?

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Why can't a major stash still be private?

Because it would be very selfish and Hammer is not a selfish man.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Why would it be selfish? It's his stash.

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Nothing's better than postin' in the morning!

Eventually a stash gets so major everyone knows about it and then it stops being a private stash. You can't hide it forever!

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

We’re talking about mustaches right?

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Post your favorite wrestling mustaches.

Gambit from the X-Men
May 12, 2001

a war boy standing alone in the desert blasting his mouth with cum from a dildo
putting together a list of must watch wrestling staches for someone new to the sport

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Hahaha Hammer was worried about being kayfabe outranked. God bless.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

God wasn't booker t in that group?

AJA
Mar 28, 2015
You mean G.I. Bro?

easy edit:

AJA fucked around with this message at 16:47 on May 13, 2024

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

AJA posted:

You mean G.I. Bro?

He was distraught over his loss of the letter T, okay?

ZixTheYeti
Jul 12, 2005

Hellarious!

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
https://twitter.com/the_ironsheik/status/1385291038730985474

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

yknow, if cody ever decides that the dad from invincible is really cool,

Two Beans
Nov 27, 2003

dabbin' on em
Pillbug
Hey yo

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

Suplex Liberace
Jan 18, 2012

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
Please make sure all mustaches posted in this thread are WCW or Jim Crocket Promotions mustaches. Take all WWF or AWA trashtaches to their respective thread.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Every party needs a pooper and that’s why we invited MassRafTer.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Every party needs a pooper and that’s why we invited MassRafTer.

Every party needs RULES, that is what makes it a party.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 8 hours!

MassRafTer posted:

Every party needs RULES, that is what makes it a party.

Judge Dredd, party animal

Numero6
Oct 10, 2012

ここは地の果て 流されて俺
今日もさすらい 涙も涸れる
ブルーゲイル
Booker T has a solid "stache.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barry Bluejeans
Feb 2, 2017

ATTENTHUN THITIZENTH