Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I, I took the one to Flavortown, and that has made all the difference.

We're planning a summer road trip around the Northeast from 6/19 through 6/25. The rough outline goes Philly > Cooperstown NY (Ommegang and the Baseball HoF) > Montpelier VT (Hill Farmstead and a hunt for Heady Topper) > Portland ME (Allagash) > Salem MA > Philly by way of NEBCO and Carton

We're planning on spending a night or two in most places and having that be a sort of home base as we go exploring the area. So is there anywhere else we should be stopping either near any of these places or along the way from one to the other? We're not trying to go super far out of our way, but if there's something along the way to break up the monotony of the drive that would be awesome. Fun sightseeing stuff is also appreciated. We've got a bunch of historical and outdoorsy things planned in addition to the beer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PoopShipDestroyer
Jan 13, 2006

I think he's ready for a chair

HatfulOfHollow posted:

We're planning a summer road trip around the Northeast from 6/19 through 6/25. The rough outline goes Philly > Cooperstown NY (Ommegang and the Baseball HoF) > Montpelier VT (Hill Farmstead and a hunt for Heady Topper) > Portland ME (Allagash) > Salem MA > Philly by way of NEBCO and Carton

We're planning on spending a night or two in most places and having that be a sort of home base as we go exploring the area. So is there anywhere else we should be stopping either near any of these places or along the way from one to the other? We're not trying to go super far out of our way, but if there's something along the way to break up the monotony of the drive that would be awesome. Fun sightseeing stuff is also appreciated. We've got a bunch of historical and outdoorsy things planned in addition to the beer.

Depending on your route, you could hit up Beer'd Brewing in Stonington, CT (right on the coast at the border of RI). I've never been there, but I've heard a lot of good things about them - lots of comparisons to NEBCO level quality of beer without all the hype currently surrounding NEBCO.

On your way south out of CT you could go to Two Roads in Stratford. They don't have very great beer, IMO, but their facility is huge and very nice, so if you're really desperate, you could give them a shot. They're only 20 minutes down the road from NEBCO, though, so that might not be what you're looking for.

One important thing about NEBCO you should keep in mind for those dates is that they're only open very specific hours. Wed-Fri 3pm-7pm, Saturday 11am-3pm and that's it. As far as I know, they aren't currently doing tours and if you happen to be there on a day when anything special is on tap, you're very likely to just be greeted by a long line that won't really respond well to people just drinking samples at their tiny bar.

PoopShipDestroyer fucked around with this message at 14:45 on May 12, 2014

ChickenArise
May 12, 2010

POWER
= MEAT +
OPPORTUNITY
= BATTLEWORMS

Y-Hat posted:

I'm always going to have a soft spot for Port City Brewing because it's the first brewery I toured, so I might be biased, but I think that their Maniacal Double IPA is pretty drat good. It has just the right balance of hops and sweetness. I'm glad that I didn't have to wait long to see their beers in NYC.
I really wish Monumental was as good an IPA as Maniacal is a IIPA. I thiiiink that the owner did the recipe for Monumental and the heavy metal brewguy (I forgot his name) did the IIPA. Oddly, I had a batch of Monumental from the cask and it was massively aromatic and drinkable, despite being a cask IPA. It was like a reward for being the sucker who keeps drinking cask IPA and being disappointed.

Midorka posted:

I know people give Flying Dog a lot of, sometimes rightfully so, poo poo, but Pearl Necklace is a great oyster stout.

Agreed, I'm always excited when I find it on the shelves and a few extra dollars in my pocket for an unplanned 6pack. Everyone I've given it to loves it also. (That said, despite feeling like a handful of their beers are awful swill, I really like FD and generally enjoy their beers).

Shabadu
Jul 18, 2003

rain dance

On the way back to Philly you should stop at Treehouse in Monson MA. Julius is amazing.
http://treehousebrew.com/

nah
Mar 16, 2009

a worthy uhh posted:

New CCB bottle labels came out...

Rum Zukhov
Bourbon Zukhov
and.. LEON!

Comparing that to the list they told Catador members we'd see in Round 2...

Looks like 'BA barleywine' is Leon.. and at least one of the Zukhov's will be Catador. Sweeeeeeet.

You copied and pasted something with the correct spelling of Zhukov's and still couldn't get it right ;)

Leon will undoubtedly be a part of the club but probably not one of the guaranteed bottles.

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

XxGirlKisserxX posted:

You copied and pasted something with the correct spelling of Zhukov's and still couldn't get it right ;)

Leon will undoubtedly be a part of the club but probably not one of the guaranteed bottles.

Doh.

So you've got another BA Barleywine in the works, then, for the guaranteed bottle? Or was I right in that the BABW listed is Leon, and just not guaranteed?

Quarterroys
Jul 1, 2008

There was a good amount of interest in putting together a beer thread Fantasy Football league for the upcoming season, and since the NFL draft is behind us I figured it might be a good time to revive the discussion.

It's too early to do a fantasy draft or anything, but we could at least get a thread up in The Armchair Quarterback and start talking league format and other details. Could be fun to do a mix of $$ and beer as prizes!

Thoughts? I can throw up a thread today if there's enough interest.

Retemnav
Mar 20, 2007
Then I'd certainly be a damned fool to feel any other way, wouldn't I?

Cervixalot posted:

There was a good amount of interest in putting together a beer thread Fantasy Football league for the upcoming season, and since the NFL draft is behind us I figured it might be a good time to revive the discussion.

It's too early to do a fantasy draft or anything, but we could at least get a thread up in The Armchair Quarterback and start talking league format and other details. Could be fun to do a mix of $$ and beer as prizes!

Yes, interested! Beer and football go together like football and beer!

cereal eater
Aug 25, 2008

I'd save these, if I wanted too

ps i dont deserve my 'king' nickname
Heading out to Victoria Gastropub in MD for their sour event. Doesn't look like there's any whales, but I'm excited to drink as much oude tart with cherries as I can.

My fiance offered to pay for a hotel so I don't drive home -- getting her into sour beer is the best/most expensive decision of my life

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

Cervixalot posted:

Im down

Casual Yogurt
Jul 1, 2005

Cool tricks kid, I like your style.
Lagunitas makes it so easy to know what beer to drink. Sun is out? Daytime. Nighttime? Nighttime.

Hamhandler
Aug 9, 2008

[I want to] shit in your fucking mouth. [I'm going to] slap your fucking mouth. [I'm going to] slap your real mother across the face [laughter]. Fuck you, you're still a rookie. I'll kill you.

Cervixalot posted:

I'd love to do this

Quantrill
Nov 18, 2005

Cervixalot posted:

I like fantasy, football, and beer.

Avenged
Jun 9, 2005
I would participate in a beer goon fantasy football league

dphi
Jul 9, 2001
I suppose I'd be down for beer FFL even though my fantasy luck is terrible.

Zam
Oct 27, 2006

I'd love to join the Fantasy Football Beer league as well.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

Quantrill posted:

I like fantasy, football, and beer.

My Quarterback casts level 3 Hard Count on your Nose Tackle.

Its very effective.

broom
Aug 29, 2005

Cervixalot posted:

Tentative yes! I swore off fantasy football like 5 years ago, but as in most circumstances, I'd be willing to compromise my beliefs if good beer is involved.

umop apisdn
May 22, 2003
upside down
I'm in, now to come up with an appropriate pun name including beer and football.

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

Michael Sam Adams Liberal Utopias

But that might be too many characters and also a horrible convoluted 'joke'

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi
CHICAGOONS: Screw You, Jeremy Danner (aka, Radlersnake) is on tap at Northdown RIGHT NOW. You all should go drink it because it's like 1,000 times better than like, I dunno, Bourbon Vanilla Dark Lord.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

danbanana posted:

CHICAGOONS: Screw You, Jeremy Danner (aka, Radlersnake) is on tap at Northdown RIGHT NOW. You all should go drink it because it's like 1,000 times better than like, I dunno, Bourbon Vanilla Dark Lord.

Nothing beat drinking unlimited pours of Off Color beers and samples of unreleased Side Project beers the night before FOBAB at Northdown. Screw You Jeremy Danner is definitely worth the stop.

crazyfish
Sep 19, 2002

Bag of Sun Chips posted:

Nothing beat drinking unlimited pours of Off Color beers and samples of unreleased Side Project beers the night before FOBAB at Northdown. Screw You Jeremy Danner is definitely worth the stop.

Totally agree. If I weren't already ready to fall asleep right now, I'd hop on my bike and go to Northdown for a pour or ten.

Quarterroys
Jul 1, 2008

I may try and stop off after work tomorrow for one. I think I had it the night before FOBAB at Northdown if I'm remembering right.. If so, loving great beer.

Also, just posted the First Inaugural Beer Thread Fantasy Football League thread : http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3633823&perpage=40

Still got room for 2 more folks!

crazyfish
Sep 19, 2002

Just a reminder that Wednesday is the day for cellar raidery, so dive into the back of your spare closet and put a nice bottle in the fridge!

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

crazyfish posted:

Just a reminder that Wednesday is the day for cellar raidery, so dive into the back of your spare closet and put a nice bottle in the fridge!

God dammit I literally came back to the thread just before going to bed to post this. NEXT TIME, GADGET!

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Hey dirty south goons, I am in Atlanta for a few days at a conference. Are there any widely available beers I should look out for? The conference and our hotel are in the heart of downtown so we're mostly dealing with expensive business traveler shitholes featuring Bud, Stella and maybe a token micro. Had a blah IPA and half decent pilsner from Sweetwater so far. I'm aware of Terrapin and keeping an eye out; anything else? Unfortunately I don't have a car so I can't get to any bottle shops outside the downtown "$14 for a six pack" zone unless I pay cab fare which kind of defeats the purpose.

edit: also I am going to miss cellar raid Wednesday yet again :argh:

Docjowles fucked around with this message at 05:43 on May 13, 2014

SUPER HASSLER
Jan 31, 2005

Over the weekend I got to a judge at a homebrew contest

And it was pretty fun! It was the first time I had done anything of the sort, but the combination of the BJCP guideline document and assorted experienced partners helping me out made it pretty easy and fun once things began rolling. Central OR's homebrew competitions are pretty high-end, with people from a lot of the local breweries both judging and entering beers, so that made it all the more fun.

Even though it was my first time I got tasked with judging some pretty far out poo poo. Me and my first partner tackled the spice/herb/vegetable beer category in the morning -- 4 "winter ales" and two beers with jalapeno in em. I usually hate chili beers but the two latter ones (one a pale and one a porter which also had Mexican chocolate in it) were certainly the best in the lot, with the winter ales either not really matching the standard or just being outright bad (one had a bottle so infected that there was what looked like mold growing on the bottlecap and neck on the inside; the other bottle wasn't like this, but still tasted the same).

After the lunch break I was paired up with a brewer from Boneyard and we judged 8 beers in the sour ale competition -- 1 berliner weiss, 1 oud bruin, 3 lambics, 1 gueuze and 2 fruit lambics. Apparently some nut up in White Salmon is so hardcore into homebrewing sours that he actually blends up his own gueuzes -- and the one he submitted kicked total rear end, sublimely sour and boasting an incredibly balanced and delicate taste, and it eventually won best of show out of 186 entries. The berliner weiss was a close second in my book, and the rest were OK to bad (one of the fruit lambics being flavored with what felt like powdered Hi-C).

All in all a very enjoyable Saturday and I'd recommend volunteering to be a judge to near any of you if you haven't already.

consensual poster
Sep 1, 2009

a worthy uhh posted:

Michael Sam Adams Liberal Utopias

But that might be too many characters and also a horrible convoluted 'joke'

:golfclap:

I got the joke immediately. It's pretty damned clever.

consensual poster fucked around with this message at 08:21 on May 13, 2014

Josh Wow
Feb 28, 2005

We need more beer up here!

Docjowles posted:

Hey dirty south goons, I am in Atlanta for a few days at a conference. Are there any widely available beers I should look out for? The conference and our hotel are in the heart of downtown so we're mostly dealing with expensive business traveler shitholes featuring Bud, Stella and maybe a token micro. Had a blah IPA and half decent pilsner from Sweetwater so far. I'm aware of Terrapin and keeping an eye out; anything else? Unfortunately I don't have a car so I can't get to any bottle shops outside the downtown "$14 for a six pack" zone unless I pay cab fare which kind of defeats the purpose.

Disclaimer: I generally don't drink many IPAs so these breweries may have a good one even though I don't mention it.

There's a brewery south of Atlanta called Jailhouse that has some great beers, most notably their Breakout Stout and Misdemeanor Ale. Westbrook distributes there and their Gose is a must drink, I also really like their Thai Witbier. Cigar City does some minor distribution, last I was there it was just Jai Alai but they may have more available now. Wild Heaven is a brewery starting up in Decatur that currently contract brews through Thomas Creek but they still make some drat good beers. If you see their Ode to Mercy (coffee and oak aged imperial brown) or Invocation (belgian golden strong) it's worth picking up.

Edit: Find a way to make it to the Brick Store out in Decatur. Order the pickle platter and drink all the beer.

confonnit
Sep 28, 2001

I've been in Atlanta for six months and have yet to try a single interesting local beer. I think it's some weird law that says all breweries in Georgia have to make milquetoast beer.

Anyways, I second hitting up Brick Store. The food is decent and the beer list is the best in the city, and it's easily accessible thanks to Marta. If you're going to be around this weekend they're having their annual pancake breakfast/stout fest Saturday morning. According to BA you can expect to see a variety of regular and barrel aged coffee stouts...as long as the abv isn't too high.

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Who will win the greatest battle of them all?

PDX goons, how is the fruit beer festival? Possibly even thinking of using time off to go up there...

http://portland.strangertickets.com/events/13481261/portland-fruit-beer-festival

Quantrill
Nov 18, 2005

Yay, Ohio is passing a law to allow samples of beer and wine to be given out for free! I can finally save my quarters for other things!

Retemnav
Mar 20, 2007
Then I'd certainly be a damned fool to feel any other way, wouldn't I?

Docjowles posted:

If you see some Red Brick Beard Envy, snag some, it's delicious. Not a big fan of the rest of their stuff, but Beard Envy is top-notch.

toenut
Apr 11, 2003

fourth and nine

air- posted:

PDX goons, how is the fruit beer festival? Possibly even thinking of using time off to go up there...

http://portland.strangertickets.com/events/13481261/portland-fruit-beer-festival

I try and go every year, but it gets packed very quickly as the parking lot in front of Burnside Brewing isn't very big. Lots of interesting stuff to try. Two years ago Breakside made a rhubarb pie beer which was very tasty.

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

http://www.plosone.org/article/info%3Adoi/10.1371/journal.pone.0095384

"present study failed to isolate the key micro-organisms P. damnosus, S. cerevisiae and D. bruxellensis from environmental samples.... All casks had been used for lambic production before, preceded by their use in different fermentations, mostly red wine, so they could have retained specific microbiota in spite of cleaning procedures after previous fermentations "

SUPER HASSLER
Jan 31, 2005

air- posted:

Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too fing crowded to be fun in the heat. It's not fun to drink beer when it's like you're on a Tokyo subway platform; they needed a venue twice the size even last year. Spend your limited time doing something else, I certainly will be.

Hamhandler
Aug 9, 2008

[I want to] shit in your fucking mouth. [I'm going to] slap your fucking mouth. [I'm going to] slap your real mother across the face [laughter]. Fuck you, you're still a rookie. I'll kill you.
I'd third Brick Store pub. I've only been once, but it was great. The bottle storage/meat curing room is pretty crazy if you get a chance to see that.

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Who will win the greatest battle of them all?

toenut posted:

I try and go every year, but it gets packed very quickly as the parking lot in front of Burnside Brewing isn't very big. Lots of interesting stuff to try. Two years ago Breakside made a rhubarb pie beer which was very tasty.

SUPER HASSLER posted:

Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too fing crowded to be fun in the heat. It's not fun to drink beer when it's like you're on a Tokyo subway platform; they needed a venue twice the size even last year. Spend your limited time doing something else, I certainly will be.

Ah well crap. I saw the pricing for VIP and figured that wasn't a big loss. Other people have said the VIP isn't too crowded early in the day and if anything, I think I could just flip the ticket.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uuudar
Apr 18, 2003

Bag of Sun Chips posted:

I got there after the Off Color kicked, but had so many pours of those Side Projects. Anyone recall what they even were?